Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Black Campy track cranks

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Black Campy track cranks

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-21, 09:49 AM
sebasbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Black Campy track cranks

Hey,

Looking for black campy track cranks... does anybody know if they ever made them ? was only able to find something about a collab with mash +5 years ago and those im guessing are incredibly hard to find.

someone once told me that you could anodize a regular pair, dont really know if this is a thing or where it could be done.

thanks for your time!
Old 11-15-21, 11:09 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Why Campagnolo cranks? If you want good cranks that are also blingy but in black Sugino 75DD is a nice way to go. I have them I love them, they look good and perform quite nicely as they use an external B.B. vs. square taper. Not hating on Campagnolo they make generally nice stuff but I never really here great stuff on their track cranks, usually nothing bad but no real raving about them.
Old 11-15-21, 11:24 AM
sebasbike

I have a pair of 75s. Just really like the fluted campys.
Old 11-15-21, 05:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by sebasbike
I have a pair of 75s. Just really like the fluted campys.
Oh you are talking vintage...ahhhh I see you probably aren't going to find them in black at all. I don't recall them doing anything in black and I haven't seen anything in internet searching however with some paint you could add some paint to the fluting on an old crankset.
Old 11-16-21, 09:32 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by sebasbike
Hey,

Looking for black campy track cranks... does anybody know if they ever made them ? was only able to find something about a collab with mash +5 years ago and those im guessing are incredibly hard to find.

someone once told me that you could anodize a regular pair, dont really know if this is a thing or where it could be done.

thanks for your time!
As far as I know, unless they did a "one off" for someone they never offered their fluted cranks in a black finish. Not that I've seen anyway. I own several sets of the old Campagnolo cranks, all silver.

In order to have them made black, you'd first have to remove the anodizing, oven cleaner works for this. Options from there would include powder coating and anodizing I guess. You have to make sure to remind and remind them not to allow any coating to get into the threads. The threads can be chased afterward, but try to not have it become a problem in the first place. I don't know if you could get any other coatings like DLC or PVD as an option. Maybe some here knows. Those would be really durable though.
Old 11-16-21, 09:40 AM
sebasbike

Originally Posted by TugaDude
As far as I know, unless they did a "one off" for someone they never offered their fluted cranks in a black finish. Not that I've seen anyway. I own several sets of the old Campagnolo cranks, all silver.

In order to have them made black, you'd first have to remove the anodizing, oven cleaner works for this. Options from there would include powder coating and anodizing I guess. You have to make sure to remind and remind them not to allow any coating to get into the threads. The threads can be chased afterward, but try to not have it become a problem in the first place. I don't know if you could get any other coatings like DLC or PVD as an option. Maybe some here knows. Those would be really durable though.
Honestly great reply man. Sounds like it's a huge effort. Should just keep using my sugino 75 and done.
Old 11-16-21, 01:57 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Years ago I actually gave a 2nd thought to the black modern production Campag Pista crank from MASH SF so I can't keep myself from commenting. It would have gone so nice with a frame I was riding back back then but I came to my senses and bought an ordinary silver set that I am still using.

So for ****ngigglez I just checked and it turns out that at some point in time at least one fluted one existed...

https://kuromoribikeco.com/products/...nt=25298229769

^^^and FWIW that looks like a pretty cool store.

But I was kinda looking forward to you doing a set yourself so let me give you a helping hand
https://www.wikihow.com/Anodize-Aluminum

Have fun - good luck...
Old 11-16-21, 06:30 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I'm not aware that Campagnolo ever offered a black track crank, but some aftermarket companies offered Campagnolo components anodized in various colors.

Campagnolo did offer BMX components anodized silver, light blue, and gold, but not black. Those are the only factory color-anodized Campagnolo components I'm aware of. The cranks used the same 144mm BCD forging die that was used for the road and track cranks, so there's no reason why they couldn't be used as a track crank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
camp-bmx.jpg (45.8 KB, 60 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-16-21, 07:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by IAmSam
So for ****ngigglez I just checked and it turns out that at some point in time at least one fluted one existed...

https://kuromoribikeco.com/products/...nt=25298229769

^^^and FWIW that looks like a pretty cool store.
It doesn't look black it looks like poor lighting and even says Polished Chrome but almost has a gold hue in that light. Still really cool stuff, their restos and panto stuff is real pretty and do want.
Old 11-17-21, 12:58 PM
Retromod

Bikes: Nagasawa. Stratos. Panasonic.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I have a set of fluted Brick Lane Bikes Super Pista cranks on my Nagasawa. I basically ordered them as a last resort during covid shortages. I’m amazed at how good they look on the bike. Would post pictures but newbie.
Old 11-18-21, 07:08 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I'm not aware that Campagnolo ever offered a black track crank, but some aftermarket companies offered Campagnolo components anodized in various colors.

Campagnolo did offer BMX components anodized silver, light blue, and gold, but not black. Those are the only factory color-anodized Campagnolo components I'm aware of. The cranks used the same 144mm BCD forging die that was used for the road and track cranks, so there's no reason why they couldn't be used as a track crank.
It goes without saying that the MASH black Campag Pista cranksets from a while back were not factory items. Was it a collabo? Did they do it on their own?
Oh yeah the anodized Campagnolo mountain bike stuff is very cool. I think there was even other groups than the one you posted but I can't remember if they had colors.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
It doesn't look black it looks like poor lighting and even says Polished Chrome but almost has a gold hue in that light. Still really cool stuff, their restos and panto stuff is real pretty and do want.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there - if you look/ed around Kuromori's site it is easy to find plenty of silver bits and there's no poor lighting in those pics that makes their color look strange and what it says is "Available in Polished Chrome," which it also was. You know what? They even had a black current-style Campagnolo Record Pista crank with a different logo than MASH SF's? But I think I figured out the trouble with that site - everything is 'Sold Out."

Ride safe...
Old 11-19-21, 07:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by IAmSam
It goes without saying that the MASH black Campag Pista cranksets from a while back were not factory items. Was it a collabo? Did they do it on their own?
Oh yeah the anodized Campagnolo mountain bike stuff is very cool. I think there was even other groups than the one you posted but I can't remember if they had colors.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there - if you look/ed around Kuromori's site it is easy to find plenty of silver bits and there's no poor lighting in those pics that makes their color look strange and what it says is "Available in Polished Chrome," which it also was. You know what? They even had a black current-style Campagnolo Record Pista crank with a different logo than MASH SF's? But I think I figured out the trouble with that site - everything is 'Sold Out."

Ride safe...
Fair dinkum but it still doesn't quite look black but everyone's monitor is different I guess.
Old 11-23-21, 12:19 PM
Retromod

Bikes: Nagasawa. Stratos. Panasonic.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

The BLB Super Pista cranks on my Nagasawa. Pretty inexpensive but well built and non too shabby.
Likes For Retromod: