Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Track ends do they impact handing?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-21, 10:47 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts

Hi fellas it's been a while! I'm not sure where on the forums this would fit, but seeing that my frame started life as a single speed/fixie I can't go wrong asking here. Bike is I believe an '08 Bianchi San Jose set up as a San Joes8 with a 8 speed IGH. I always have an issue setting up my drive train. If I set up the chain so that the rear axle is in the middle of the fork end as opposed to shoved in deep when it soon stretches out and I soon have to replace the chain before it really worn. On this go round I shoved the wheel deep into the fork end and ran a shorter chain. The problem is even though it can't be more that a quarter inch difference in wheelbase length, the bike feels different. It doesn't feel as stable as when the wheel base was set up longer and my speed on the bike is reflecting it. It feels harder to mount and harder to stay balanced faster than 10mph. Can moving the wheel in on the fork end adversely impact the bikes geometry enough to affect handling? Or is it in my head?? In this pic btw the axle is set mid fork. Thanks!

Old 12-08-21, 11:26 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider
If I set up the chain so that the rear axle is in the middle of the fork end as opposed to shoved in deep when it soon stretches out and I soon have to replace the chain before it really worn.
I'm extremely skeptical that using the center of the track end is causing your chain to stretch. I think the wheel is creeping forward, causing the chain to go slightly slack, which you're diagnosing as stretch. Did you actually measure the chain wear when this happened?

Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider
Can moving the wheel in on the fork end adversely impact the bikes geometry enough to affect handling?
No. A small change in wheelbase length should make no difference in your ability to stay balanced over 10mph.

I have four singlespeeds and have run their wheels in every position in the track ends, and at most have felt a small difference, usually in acceleration, but never in any negative way like you're describing. Maybe something else is up.

Last edited by Rolla; 12-08-21 at 11:29 AM.
Likes For Rolla: