Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Giant Toughroad, not Squishy approved...

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 12-20-21, 03:46 AM
SquishyBiker

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Circa (Rd Dist), 2020 Giant Toughroad (Rd Tour), 2021 Trek Allant+ 8S (eCommute), 2021 Scott Aspect 940 (Mt HT), 2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29er (Mt FS), 2022 Scott Spark 960 (Mt FS)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 26 Posts

Well, today I noticed my 2yo Giant Toughroad had a slight problem - the seat was not in line with the frame.
Now if you don't know the Giant Toughroad, you should know that it uses the d-fuse seat post, which has a flat back to it, so you can't turn it to straighten it, so I started investigating other causes.
Tried another seat - nope, same angle.
Tried another seatpost - nope, same angle.

Crap

Checked inside the frame - the driveside seatstay is pushing through the frame into the seat tube, pushing the seat post off centre.
So thats game over on the Toughroad frame, the first frame I have bent out of square for over 20 years, which has left me one unhappy owner, which is unlikely to buy another Giant with their very untweekable-angle d-fuse seat post!

So I guess I'll ride it a bit longer, then transfer all the best stuff from the Toughroad to my Scott Aspect...
Old 12-20-21, 08:26 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
If you are the original owner, Giant is well known to replace the frames. Their warranty is really good. There have been a few other Toughroad riders whom the frames were cracked and Giant replaced with no questions asked.
Old 12-20-21, 12:17 PM
SquishyBiker

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Circa (Rd Dist), 2020 Giant Toughroad (Rd Tour), 2021 Trek Allant+ 8S (eCommute), 2021 Scott Aspect 940 (Mt HT), 2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29er (Mt FS), 2022 Scott Spark 960 (Mt FS)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 26 Posts
Unfortunately not the origonal owner - checked the warranty book for my region, and I need proof of sale for warranty, and they only replace through the shop it was purchased from.