Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Riding on 40-55mph Road?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Riding on 40-55mph Road?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-21, 01:49 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
However in many situations I'd just find being on the shoulder more risky. Many of them things that bbbean mentioned. There are quite a few roads around me with 50 mph and faster traffic that the width of the shoulders varies constantly and in some places is non existent. And non existent always being in the worst place for someone not in the traffic lanes to suddenly be in the traffic lanes. Couple that with shoulders that end at an already narrow bridge and to me that is a recipe for more risk than just being in the traffic lane so other traffic knows what to expect.
All those risky conditions can exist on many roads, but they do not appear to be the case where the cyclist was riding. The video poster states that the shoulder is only 8-10 inches wide; must be the optics of the camera lens or my monitor but the shoulder pictured looked far wider than that and also appeared free of obvious hazards.
Old 12-21-21, 01:53 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Posted 45 MPH {or less} is about the norm where I ride. No shoulder & often tight lanes with poorly kept surfaces. As long as my equipment is working, I typically don't encounter those hostile vehicle operators. What I do often experience are those not paying attention or using care when popping out of side streets & businesses. If I am lucky, I might get the "sawwwry" look from the vehicle operator or there passenger.... That is if I am not cannoned off my bicycle & into oncoming traffic.

My advice; Be assertive & never trust the vehicle over your gut.
Old 12-21-21, 02:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
All those risky conditions can exist on many roads, but they do not appear to be the case where the cyclist was riding. The video poster states that the shoulder is only 8-10 inches wide; must be the optics of the camera lens or my monitor but the shoulder pictured looked far wider than that and also appeared free of obvious hazards.

I think there's really no point in arguing about whether the perception of someone who's there is better than the impression you get from watching a video. Unless they claim something completely impossible like the road is made of liquid lava, I'm going with the actual in-person evaluation of the road quality and size than what I can see (or not see) on the video. Pavement that photographs well does not always ride well--lots of small debris and cracks don't always show up to a camera lens.
Old 12-21-21, 02:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I think in more states than MO you'll find that slow moving traffic or specifically bicycles are exempted from the prohibition of riding on the shoulders. However in many situations I'd just find being on the shoulder more risky. Many of them things that bbbean mentioned. There are quite a few roads around me with 50 mph and faster traffic that the width of the shoulders varies constantly and in some places is non existent. And non existent always being in the worst place for someone not in the traffic lanes to suddenly be in the traffic lanes. Couple that with shoulders that end at an already narrow bridge and to me that is a recipe for more risk than just being in the traffic lane so other traffic knows what to expect.

While from my perspective, if I was on the shoulder coming up to a bridge it's understandable that I'll have to get in the traffic lane of the bridge and slow someone down. However that first car behind me in the traffic lane might get more annoyed at me for not stopping at the bridge and waiting for them to pass even though there are other cars behind them and I'm going to have to take my chances of P.O.'ing one of them. If I was already in the traffic lane and never used the shoulder, then from the motorist perspective it might not bother most of them to slow down for me since the other situation never entered their minds.

In NH, there's little to no doubt in my mind that the shoulder in the video would likely be as good or better pavement than what's in the lane, and on a 45+ MPH road, I'm much safer sticking to it. The nastier roads around here are the winding 40 mph country roads with no shoulder and lots of potholes. I ride them, but it takes some skill.
Old 12-21-21, 03:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I'm confused why you quoted me. So essentially you agree with me that the traffic lane is the proper place to ride? At least in the instance of the video you mentioned.

However I wasn't specifically talking about the video at all. Most any place I ride, I find the traffic lanes preferable to the shoulders. Even when the shoulders are wide. Will I ever find a place that I might ride the shoulder. Maybe, but not for the places I ride around here. My mention for bbbean in the part you quoted me on I thought would be understood to have been his comments in the last post he made. I guess I should have been a little more verbose.
Old 12-21-21, 03:17 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
In NH, there's little to no doubt in my mind that the shoulder in the video would likely be as good or better pavement than what's in the lane, and on a 45+ MPH road, I'm much safer sticking to it. The nastier roads around here are the winding 40 mph country roads with no shoulder and lots of potholes. I ride them, but it takes some skill.
I ride those winding country roads, two lane with no shoulder around here. Many cars like to do highways speeds on them. I feel quite safe riding them and with few exceptions, most traffic seems to be careful and tolerant of me. Even the big dump trucks that use those roads manytimes really impress me with how careful and patient they are to wait for a decent place to pass... unlike that one crazy person in the fancy SUV and pro-life plates I encounter every now and then.

If you feel better on the shoulders, then ride them. However when I'm in my car and encounter someone on the shoulders, then it greatly complicates what I have to consider. And that's one other thing that keeps me in the traffic lane while on the bike.
Old 12-21-21, 03:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I ride those winding country roads, two lane with no shoulder around here. Many cars like to do highways speeds on them. I feel quite safe riding them and with few exceptions, most traffic seems to be careful and tolerant of me. Even the big dump trucks that use those roads manytimes really impress me with how careful and patient they are to wait for a decent place to pass... unlike that one crazy person in the fancy SUV and pro-life plates I encounter every now and then.

If you feel better on the shoulders, then ride them. However when I'm in my car and encounter someone on the shoulders, then it greatly complicates what I have to consider. And that's one other thing that keeps me in the traffic lane while on the bike.

The winding roads I was talking about don't have shoulders to ride, you have to determine where in the lane to ride situationally.

The shoulder in the video by bbbean would likely be very rideable in NH, and you would be hard-pressed to find a single cyclist on the road riding anywhere but the shoulder on a comparable road. And as a driver, I find the notion that it's more complicated to figure out how to pass a bicyclist in the shoulder lane than it is to pass them in the traffic lane absurd. Are you completely blind in your right eye or something?

I doubt whether a Mississippi country road looks like a NH country road, BTW. The winters really do a number on the roads, and the hills, lakes and rivers makes it so there's very few straight and level roads.

Last edited by livedarklions; 12-21-21 at 03:55 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-21-21, 04:09 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by CruizingB
I live in the Coachella Valley and the average speed limit here is 40MPH. There are streets that have bike lanes but some of them are pretty thin. I hate using the sidewalks because they aren’t wide enough for both me and pedestrians. I plan on using Google maps for more safer routes, but I still need to go into traffic. Any thoughts on this or advice?
Lots of great advise above. However, Lights, lights and more lights!! Tail light on seat, red flasher on helmet and blinker on the handle bar. Buy the best lights you can afford as visibility is the key in todays world. With most everyone on their goddam phone or watching maps or some other distraction you need to be seen as far away as possible even to the point of annoyance.

BTW, some of our two lane country roads are posted at 70 mph but most drive 80.
Old 12-21-21, 04:18 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Every bicyclist I see on such roads is on the shoulder or truly FRAP.
I looked on urban dictionary & abbreviations, but neither one list 'frap'. Please inform me (if you can w/o violating standards)
Old 12-21-21, 05:51 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
When I'm in my car and encounter someone on the shoulders, then it greatly complicates what I have to consider. And that's one other thing that keeps me in the traffic lane while on the bike.
??
Old 12-21-21, 08:24 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
I also ask why not pull over to the right and ride on the shoulder until the car passes. The video contradicts your statement that the shoulder is only 8 to 10" wide.
It is obviuous to even a casual viewer of the video that it is more like 2 + feet wide. Swallow your pride and ride sensibly................
Old 12-21-21, 08:42 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
The video poster states that the shoulder is only 8-10 inches wide; must be the optics of the camera lens or my monitor but the shoulder pictured looked far wider than that and also appeared free of obvious hazards.
Here's a still from this morning's ride.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 12-21-21, 09:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by epnnf
I looked on urban dictionary & abbreviations, but neither one list 'frap'. Please inform me (if you can w/o violating standards)
Far right as practicable. It's the standard in most states' bicycle statutes.
Old 12-21-21, 10:12 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
I know the question has been answered but what's with the be careful with what you say or else line of communication. Can't we just get along? I know many people who are experienced at riding there bicycles in many conditions. They have learned to adjust how they ride so they are visible to traffic and when necessary use there fare share of the lane so auto morons go around them with safe passing distance. There are some wannabe bicyclists who ride in complete fear of being hit and in there efforts to ride safely make themselves hidden from the motorists.
Likes For Rick:
Old 12-22-21, 05:04 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
If I did not ride on roads with posted 40 to 55 mph, I would hardly ever ride. I have been doing it a long time, so in general, riding with traffic does not bother me. Some things to keep in mind: visibility, wear bright clothes and use lights; a rearview mirror, being able to see behind, without turning, is a huge help; take the lane and make eye contact with drivers, showing confidence in yourself affects the action of others. Most important, your safety is primarily in your hands. Never assume anything while riding, try to have no unexpected events take place. If you keep your mind open to all possibilities while riding, you can react to things much quicker, without actual conscious thought taking place.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 12-22-21, 05:20 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
When riding alone, I ride in the area of a vehicles Right Tire Track.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 12-22-21, 06:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rick
I know the question has been answered but what's with the be careful with what you say or else line of communication. Can't we just get along? I know many people who are experienced at riding there bicycles in many conditions. They have learned to adjust how they ride so they are visible to traffic and when necessary use there fare share of the lane so auto morons go around them with safe passing distance. There are some wannabe bicyclists who ride in complete fear of being hit and in there efforts to ride safely make themselves hidden from the motorists.

Not sure I understand what you're trying to say, but I think the key is that there's no universally superior lane position. It's situational. On a multilane NH state road, it would be criminally stupid to ride in the lane if the shoulder is in decent condition and wide enough. Literally no one does it, experienced or not. Even on those roads, though, there are exceptions for turn lanes and exits where you definitely want to move left for visibility reasons. It's just as unrealistic to say you can never move back and forth between lanes safely as it is to say you're always safest on the far right.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-22-21, 06:20 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Rick
I know the question has been answered but what's with the be careful with what you say or else line of communication.
it's in part a result from everyone that wants attention & to always be heard, for driving such combative wording wars.
Old 12-22-21, 08:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Troul
it's in part a result from everyone that wants attention & to always be heard, for driving such combative wording wars.

TBH, I don't know what the heck the bit you quoted was referring to. I just thought that the guy he quoted was worried that the F in FRAP stood for an obscenity.
Old 12-22-21, 08:55 AM
Troul 

TBH, I don't know what the heck the bit you quoted was referring to. I just thought that the guy he quoted was worried that the F in FRAP stood for an obscenity.
We have a 50/50 in understanding the poster's response. Given what is the common thing regarding offensive communication, I took the post for face value.
Old 12-22-21, 09:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

We have a 50/50 in understanding the poster's response. Given what is the common thing regarding offensive communication, I took the post for face value.

TBH, I couldn't figure out what the face value was. Who said anything like "be careful with what you say or else"?
Old 12-22-21, 09:21 AM
Troul 

TBH, I couldn't figure out what the face value was. Who said anything like "be careful with what you say or else"?
it's peppered throughout when reading the replies.
Old 12-22-21, 09:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

it's peppered throughout when reading the replies.

Define "it's". I have no clue what you mean by this.

Or don't. I suspect I'm missing a joke here, in which case I woosh myself.
Old 12-22-21, 09:41 AM
Troul 

Define "it's". I have no clue what you mean by this.

Or don't. I suspect I'm missing a joke here, in which case I woosh myself.
idk if define is possible on my end, but to provide examples might require a lot of forum quotes using special character highlights.
Old 12-22-21, 09:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

idk if define is possible on my end, but to provide examples might require a lot of forum quotes using special character highlights.

OK, Potter Stewart!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_it_when_I_see_it
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.