Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

BDop Offset brake pad holders

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

BDop Offset brake pad holders

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-21, 11:52 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The threaded stud on brake pad holders is 6mm diameter. The unthreaded stud on vintage cantilever pad holders (i.e. MAFAC, Shimano, Dia-Compe, etc.) is 7mm diameter. I wonder if one might epoxy a sleeve over the 6mm threaded stud to convert it to an unthreaded stud?
The concern I would have is that a canti stud is a lot longer than the threaded one. A user could be clamping to only the extension beyond the threads. The transition between the threaded post and solid would be just a thin sleeve with an epoxy core. Not what I would want to trust my life to.

Edit: two old pads I have on hand show 3/8" (10mm) and 7/9" (22mm)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 12-25-21 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-26-21, 10:56 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
How long have these been around? (These or other models/brands that do the same thing.) This is such a duh! solution to a problem that has been around since 700c and 27" were invented. And how did I not know or think of this before? (Well, part of that is getting introduced to Mafac Racers 54 years ago - the brake with serious reach.)
We have been making these for almost 10 years now.

Old 12-26-21, 11:03 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The threaded stud on brake pad holders is 6mm diameter. The unthreaded stud on vintage cantilever pad holders (i.e. MAFAC, Shimano, Dia-Compe, etc.) is 7mm diameter. I wonder if one might epoxy a sleeve over the 6mm threaded stud to convert it to an unthreaded stud?
That would be a more problematic solution from the manufacturing standpoint. Once we started bonding, we would have to involve another vendor in the process. I am also not sure I like the idea.

If we did make these, we would machine completely separate mounting hardware. I think we could use the same holders but the mounting hardware would need to be canti specific.

I need a head scratch on this and I think I need to sit down with this CnC vendor and see what would be involved.

Old 12-27-21, 01:49 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
That would be a more problematic solution from the manufacturing standpoint. Once we started bonding, we would have to involve another vendor in the process. I am also not sure I like the idea.

If we did make these, we would machine completely separate mounting hardware. I think we could use the same holders but the mounting hardware would need to be canti specific.

I need a head scratch on this and I think I need to sit down with this CnC vendor and see what would be involved.
Scratch away Bob, great to see you taking a hard look at this. So tough to even consider something like this in a global economy for many.