Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

SS Chain questions....

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

SS Chain questions....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-22, 07:37 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
SS Chain questions....

A bit of a mechanical noob, so a little unsure about this stuff--my ss is my bike to learn on: I just got a new chainring (https://www.jensonusa.com/Wolf-Tooth...oad-Chainrings) for my SS Cross Check and thought why not get a fresh chain as well. The old chain is a KMC X8, which when I look for one, for example: https://www.jensonusa.com/KMC-X893-Chain says it's a multi-speed chain, while I see on the KMC site they also make singlespeed specific chains. And my existing X8 looks a little different than that one on Jenson (though maybe because it's older--see pic). Is that KMX X8.93 a proper replacement for what I've got?
Old 01-04-22, 07:54 PM
Moles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The biggest issue you may come up against is whether you're mixing 1/8" stuff and 3/32" ...
EDIT: Looking at what you've linked to I don't think you are.
Likes For Moles:
Old 01-04-22, 08:04 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
A lot of SS-specific chains are 1/8", which will fit on any width chainring and cog. They're robust and work fine. But if you have a 3/32" chainring and cog, I'd run an 8-speed chain, as I find them to be quieter. Might be my imagination, however. Also, if your chainring is narrow-wide, it's engineered for a multi-speed chain and will work best with one.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-04-22, 08:16 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
A lot of SS-specific chains are 1/8", which will fit on any width chainring and cog. They're robust and work fine. But if you have a 3/32" chainring and cog, I'd run an 8-speed chain, as I find them to be quieter. Might be my imagination, however. Also, if your chainring is narrow-wide, it's engineered for a multi-speed chain and will work best with one.
Cool, thanks.
Old 01-05-22, 08:55 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
And my existing X8 looks a little different than that one on Jenson (though maybe because it's older--see pic). Is that KMX X8.93 a proper replacement for what I've got?
Just my two cents. I’ve had great service from KMC X8 series chains.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 03-18-22, 05:11 AM
Zdawg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd recommend going with the 1/8" chain either way because it lasts longer, the weight difference isn't that noticeable, it's more hard-wearing and you avoid running the risk of trying to fit a 3/32" chain on 1/8" components, which would end up not fitting.
Old 03-18-22, 05:15 AM
Zdawg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wouldn't the narrow-wide chainring accept an 1/8" chain the same way? Since the wide teeth are made for the wider gaps on multispeed chains they would end up being roughly the same, no?
Old 03-18-22, 10:25 AM
Rolla

Originally Posted by Zdawg
Wouldn't the narrow-wide chainring accept an 1/8" chain the same way? Since the wide teeth are made for the wider gaps on multispeed chains they would end up being roughly the same, no?
Yes, a NW chainring will accept a 1/8" chain. I don't think it would be as effective at preventing chain drop, however; for that, you want the tighter fit that a 3/32" chain offers.
Old 03-18-22, 11:58 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Yes, a NW chainring will accept a 1/8" chain. I don't think it would be as effective at preventing chain drop, however; for that, you want the tighter fit that a 3/32" chain offers.
Chain drop is really only an issue with multi-speed 1 x n applications, where n > 1. I've got an old MTB that I converted to a 1 x 7 with no front derailleur to act as a chain-keeper, and the chain was constantly dropping off the 3/32 chainring. When I replaced it with a N/W chainring the problem was solved and it ran a lot smoother as well. OTOH, I have several SSFG bikes with a 3/32 chainring and a 1/8 chain, and I've never had the chain drop on any of them. Yes, a 3/32 is a bit quieter on a 3/32 chainring, but it's not a serious problem.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 03-18-22, 12:06 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Just a simple opinion here, not trying to get the OP to go out and spend a lot of money - for single speed/fix gear use, 1/8" chains running on 1/8" cogs is the best option because the 1/8" chains are stiffer side-to-side and seat securely on 1/8" cogs, leading to fewer chain throws (especially downhill on fix gears). Along those lines, cogs made with very square teeth and little rounding or prettying up throw chains less. (They are also noisy.) I ride the EurAsian Imports 1/8" cogs exclusively (except my largest that EAI doesn't make) because of that. A Surly 17 tooth that is beautiful and quiet scares me. I flat out refuse to use it on any of my fix gears except the best with its high end (and very round) velodrome crankset. Scares me downhill. If you go to the velodrome, you will see the EUI cogs on a lot of bikes. I ride the cheap Izumi 1//8" "Eco" chaiuns also for same reason. No rounding of plate edges, secure (and not silent). Also common at the velodrome. (The quiet KMC 1/8" chains scare me just like that Surey cog.)

Having drive trains more resistant to throwing off means more tolerance of poorly set chain slack (real world; flats, fatigue, darkness, rain and snow ...) and allows satisfactory use of cheaper, less round cranksets and chain rings. Observations of roughly 100,000 miles each of 3/32" and 1/8" SS/FG use. Once I switched to 1/8", I was sold and will never go back.
Old 03-18-22, 01:25 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Chain drop is really only an issue with multi-speed 1 x n applications, where n > 1.
I have dropped the chain a couple of times on a non-NW singlespeed, but never when using a NW. I think it was probably a chain tension issue rather than the chainring, but NW and a 3/32" chain gives me peace of mind, even if the benefit is imaginary.

Last edited by Rolla; 03-18-22 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-20-22, 03:34 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Just a simple opinion here, not trying to get the OP to go out and spend a lot of money - for single speed/fix gear use, 1/8" chains running on 1/8" cogs is the best option because the 1/8" chains are stiffer side-to-side and seat securely on 1/8" cogs, leading to fewer chain throws (especially downhill on fix gears). Along those lines, cogs made with very square teeth and little rounding or prettying up throw chains less. (They are also noisy.) I ride the EurAsian Imports 1/8" cogs exclusively (except my largest that EAI doesn't make) because of that. A Surly 17 tooth that is beautiful and quiet scares me. I flat out refuse to use it on any of my fix gears except the best with its high end (and very round) velodrome crankset. Scares me downhill. If you go to the velodrome, you will see the EUI cogs on a lot of bikes. I ride the cheap Izumi 1//8" "Eco" chaiuns also for same reason. No rounding of plate edges, secure (and not silent). Also common at the velodrome. (The quiet KMC 1/8" chains scare me just like that Surey cog.)

Having drive trains more resistant to throwing off means more tolerance of poorly set chain slack (real world; flats, fatigue, darkness, rain and snow ...) and allows satisfactory use of cheaper, less round cranksets and chain rings. Observations of roughly 100,000 miles each of 3/32" and 1/8" SS/FG use. Once I switched to 1/8", I was sold and will never go back.
Does poor chainline affect chain drop? Seems like if the chain doesn't track perfectly from chainring to sprocket, it could climb up a misaligned tooth and ... hence off the ring!
Old 04-21-22, 07:35 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Does poor chainline affect chain drop? Seems like if the chain doesn't track perfectly from chainring to sprocket, it could climb up a misaligned tooth and ... hence off the ring!
Proper chain tension and a narrow-wide chainring are good insurance against chain drop. You want to have a straight chainline anyway, but "perfect" isn't necessary.