Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Kryptonite lock - key registration and replacement, have you used it?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-22, 05:11 PM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I registered my locks with Kryptonite more than 5 years ago and now I lost the key. So I figured I could go to the website and log into my account and locate my lock, and then order keys. But that's not how it works. Or does it? Am I an idiot? All I can find is a form where I submit a request, which I have done about six times over the last two weeks and no one replies.

Have you ever gone through this with Kryptonite?
Old 01-13-22, 06:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
No unfortunately not, I use ABUS these days, however they should respond at some point
You might try to pick up the telephone and call them that sometimes works better for some folks:Toll Free (US & Canada only): 1-800-SAY-LOCK (729-5625)
Phone: 1-781-828-6655

Monday - Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM Eastern Time.
Old 01-13-22, 09:44 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Bat56
I registered my locks with Kryptonite more than 5 years ago and now I lost the key. So I figured I could go to the website and log into my account and locate my lock, and then order keys. But that's not how it works. Or does it? Am I an idiot? All I can find is a form where I submit a request, which I have done about six times over the last two weeks and no one replies.

Have you ever gone through this with Kryptonite?
yes, I just got some new keys. Communication is not great. I waited a long time following my first online order and wrote again. Eventually, I received 2 keys and they were the wrong ones. After providing that information, It led to a conversation about their broken key machine and the slow delivery of the new machine from Italy. Some time later, much longer than expected, my second set of keys arrived and they worked.

The person at K seems to be a hard worker and concerned. They just seem to be having supply problems. I think there is a way you can communicate on line to them. Not sure but I may have found a number on their website. Eventually a did get to a live person and per above, got my keys.
Old 01-14-22, 08:38 AM
Bat56

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by debade
yes, I just got some new keys. Communication is not great. I waited a long time following my first online order and wrote again. Eventually, I received 2 keys and they were the wrong ones. After providing that information, It led to a conversation about their broken key machine and the slow delivery of the new machine from Italy. Some time later, much longer than expected, my second set of keys arrived and they worked.

The person at K seems to be a hard worker and concerned. They just seem to be having supply problems. I think there is a way you can communicate on line to them. Not sure but I may have found a number on their website. Eventually a did get to a live person and per above, got my keys.
Thanks for this info. It's very helpful. Everyone is so busy these days, and this answer gave me the motivation to just buy a new lock. If I ever get keys for the old one, I will just have a spare lock around. I think I've had this lock for ten years; it's been a good run.
Old 01-15-22, 02:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Originally Posted by Bat56
Thanks for this info. It's very helpful. Everyone is so busy these days, and this answer gave me the motivation to just buy a new lock. If I ever get keys for the old one, I will just have a spare lock around. I think I've had this lock for ten years; it's been a good run.
If you have had a lock for 10 years it is a good sign to get a new one. Go with ABUS and make sure your local shop captures the key code number and I would take a picture of the key code card and also keep it safe in your drawer. When you need a new key, https://keys.abus.com and they will send it to your house. Plus if you end up with a Plus keyed lock you can get it keyed alike so if you have friends or family that you want to be on the same key number you can do that easily so you can have 10 locks (or as many of few as you want) that all have the same key code so even if you are just buying for yourself you can get two locks with the same key so one key to carry and no more worries.