Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Pulled over by the CHP while biking on I-280

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 01-22-22, 08:57 PM
Factemp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I also was stopped by a CHP around 2008 at the exact northbound location. I tried to explain the signage by the on ramp excludes prohibiting bicycles. And as the OP stated, there is a sign just prior to the next exit instructing bicyclist to exit. It's also the same situation directly across the highway for southbound riders.

I believe at some point the exception was granted as there is no reasonable alternative to continue traveling south or north bound on skyline without taking a significant detour far down the eastern side of the highway.

As I tried to explain this the officer he simply stated that pedestrians are not allowed on the highway which is prohibited. I stated I was on a bike. He then said that a "bike" is a pedestrian. I didn't even argue it at this point. He released me with a warning.

I believe the highway patrol are simply not aware of the allowed access.

I bring this up now as I've started to ride my bike again and this is a key part of my loop to do a round trip of crystal springs trail. I'm want to ride this section and am looking to see if there has been clarification on the legality.
Likes For Factemp:
Old 01-22-22, 09:19 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
I know there are several freeways in the bay area that have proper signage and people ride these sections with no problems. Like going up highway 24 west to the Caldecott tunnel.

Last edited by unterhausen; 01-23-22 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-22-22, 10:16 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I closed the other thread and made your post into a new thread. The op of the other thread deleted all his posts anyway.

Last edited by unterhausen; 01-23-22 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-23-22, 08:42 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Can you provide a map so I can see what your referring too? I am going to just say it...there is no way in hell I would be caught on an interstate highway on my bike. BUT without picturing what your up against I can't throw shade on your situation.
Old 01-23-22, 08:45 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
There are many states that allow freeway cycling. Apparently CA does based on the signage and the previous poster. I always feel the best approach for this type of issue is to reach out to your local andb/or statewide advocacy group. Ask them to contact and help train CHP. You also might want to write a friendly email to them and perhaps your representative suggesting the need for training. This all assumes you were right which I think you were.
Likes For debade:
Old 01-23-22, 09:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If you were in the right, then it's good that you didn't escalate the situation since the patrolman thought that he was correct. Being outright belligerent might have led to a ticket or even worse. Problems like this are better resolved at a later date with persons higher in the chain of command.

Find some information that factually supports your claim and send it to the commander of the prescient or what ever the top dog and branch of the CHP is called.

If warnings have any longer term issues for your driving record or such, then you might want to see about that getting removed from your record.
Old 01-23-22, 03:30 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I used to ride my bike on a freeway just about every day when I lived in Utah. If bikes are prohibited, it will say on the sign that is at every freeway entrance. Google maps isn't fully reliable regarding this, but they try.
Old 01-24-22, 12:34 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
Utah allows bicycles on the freeway shoulder except in metropolitan areas. I was at Fort Ord in the late 70s and it was a highway patrol officer that showed me where it was legal to use the freeway instead of 13 miles of a narrow two lane road with no shoulder. I wouldn't fear a ticket. The ticket is an opportunity to educate or aggravate the HP officer who pulled you over.
Old 01-24-22, 10:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Sure looks like OP got this right:

https://bayareabicyclelaw.com/safety...es-on-freeway/
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-24-22, 11:43 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It's allowed when it's the only reasonable alternative. There are sections of I-80 in the Sierras. I've also ridden for a short distance on I-5/US-99 when Discovery Park was flooded and it was the only way over the American.
Old 01-24-22, 11:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by caloso
It's allowed when it's the only reasonable alternative. There are sections of I-80 in the Sierras. I've also ridden for a short distance on I-5/US-99 when Discovery Park was flooded and it was the only way over the American.

Pretty cool website reference, don't know if it's comprehensive and/or kept current:

https://www.cabobike.org/touring/freeway.htm

ETA--this is apparently very old, referring to a stretch as being open due to the events of 9/11.
Old 01-24-22, 12:29 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you were in the right, then it's good that you didn't escalate the situation since the patrolman thought that he was correct. Being outright belligerent might have led to a ticket or even worse. Problems like this are better resolved at a later date with persons higher in the chain of command.

Find some information that factually supports your claim and send it to the commander of the prescient or what ever the top dog and branch of the CHP is called.

If warnings have any longer term issues for your driving record or such, then you might want to see about that getting removed from your record.
How can it lead to a ticket if it is posted "OK" on the freeway signs and it is the patrolman that was in the wrong?
Oh sure, you may physically be issued a ticket, but in court you can give proof and the patrolman may even be "lectured."

I used to have to commute on Interstate 5 in San Diego on a daily basis... Into and out of Sorrento Valley. That area now has a dedicated bike path that parallels the interstate.
Old 01-24-22, 12:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by genec
How can it lead to a ticket if it is posted "OK" on the freeway signs and it is the patrolman that was in the wrong?
Oh sure, you may physically be issued a ticket, but in court you can give proof and the patrolman may even be "lectured."

I used to have to commute on Interstate 5 in San Diego on a daily basis... Into and out of Sorrento Valley. That area now has a dedicated bike path that parallels the interstate.

The issue is once the cop has said he's letting you go with a warning, there's nothing to be gained from hanging out arguing with him, and if you really want to object to the stop, it's better to do so by talking with someone in the PD or make a complaint. If a cop really wants to write a ticket, they'll figure out a reason to (improper reflector or the like), so there is always a risk to prolonging the "argument" and really nothing to gain.

Having to go down to court and argue a ticket is already a bit of punishment even if you end up acquitted, better to make the point in your own time and more on your own terms.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-24-22, 12:56 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,047 Times in 3,805 Posts
Originally Posted by Factemp
As I tried to explain this the officer he simply stated that pedestrians are not allowed on the highway which is prohibited. I stated I was on a bike. He then said that a "bike" is a pedestrian.
Old 01-24-22, 01:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
You really have to ask or is this just sarcasm or something I'm missing.

However when the law enforcement thinks that a person violated a traffic law and they choose to go after them, then they'll issue a ticket. The patrolman issuing the ticket only has to believe that there was a violation. You prove your innocence in the traffic court.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-25-22, 01:19 PM
mgb

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I drive there every day. That's my commute! I expect to see bicycles on the small section of 280 from 35 to the Larkspur exit. I also keep my eyes out for the riders who continue on the shoulder beyond the exit, either from confusion or because they think its safer or faster than the surface streets.
Likes For mgb:
Old 01-25-22, 03:09 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by mgb
I also keep my eyes out for the riders who continue on the shoulder beyond the exit, either from confusion or because they think its safer or faster than the surface streets.
The irony is that apart from crossing the ramps and the occasional wildly distracted driver, an interstate shoulder probably is safer than a shoulderless 50 mph road.

But we don't do that back east.

Using the grassy margins of interstates to construct trails is an option that should be considered more, especially when they're just local connections that don't even have to cross a ramp. For example near me we have a proposal to route a trail through an additional bay of overpass where I90 crosses a rail line, then build a quarter mile of new trail alongside the interstate, until it can continue to an improved version of what is basically the service road of a flood control dam, the the total effect of creating a route through presently isolated neighborhood streets that fills the critical gap in a bi-state rail trail.

Last edited by UniChris; 01-25-22 at 03:24 PM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 01-25-22, 05:42 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
California has trial by written declaration. If cited you don't need to appear in court at first, you send a letter to the court explaining your case. You pay the ticket price as bail. If you are still found responsible you still get a day in court at which the officer needs to appear. If the judge lets you off for the letter or in traffic court you get your money back.

This used to be a way to get out of a speeding ticket, back in my former life of motorcycles and turbo Subarus. The officer had to write a letter and sometimes wouldn't, and on appeal he'd have to trade shifts to make it, so he wouldn't show. I've heard they have been since then scheduled to show up and get paid for it.

https://www.courts.ca.gov/34713.htm?rdeLocaleAttr=en
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-25-22 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-25-22, 04:34 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
In California any highway with "at grade" cross traffic is not a "freeway" and bikes are allowed. The CHP enforce the laws which have not change in this regard in the past 50 years. When a friend and I first started traveling down Hwy 101 we could encounter a sign that bicycles were not allowed and when we asked a CHP officer where we should go instead he said he did not know as he always took the freeway. He added that if he saw us on the freeway he would give us a ticket.

That led to our creating the first map for cyclists in the 1970's that showed how to legally travel through the state from Oregon to Mexico. We were able to get the Division of Highways to print 10,000 of the maps and to have their personnel maintain the maps over time. But overall the access to safe roads for cyclists is little improvement over the 50 years since we created that map.

Sad to say but the oil and automobile and land developers have been allowed to make the United States the most hazardous country in the world for cyclists. Ironic as the first road associations to improve road conditions were formed by bicyclists.
Old 04-08-22, 12:03 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Can you provide a map so I can see what your referring too? I am going to just say it...there is no way in hell I would be caught on an interstate highway on my bike. BUT without picturing what your up against I can't throw shade on your situation.
I don't know about the OP's I-280 situation, but here near my house it is allowed for bikes to ride on I-15 between the W Bernardo/Pomerado and Via Rancho/Bear Valley exits over Lake Hodges. There is also the pedestrian bridge and a freeway underpass that provide a longer, more pleasant option, but cyclists in a hurry ride the freeway shoulder once in a while (it's at least as wide as a lane), you can zoom in here and see it

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.0615.../data=!3m1!1e3

One time like 5-10 years ago, I was riding with a group of friends and we planned to go through Camp Pendleton, but they had closed the base to cyclists that day, and our only option was to ride on the shoulder of I-5, and that was like 15 miles. It was hellish with a narrow shoulder strewn with debris, and cars whizzing by at 80mph
Old 04-08-22, 02:06 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
*Engage extreme sarcasm mode*: I'm confused here. Bicyclists aren't allowed on Interstate highways, but motorists park and drive on sidewalks/MUPs and in bike lanes (and wait in pedestrian/MUP crossings) with impunity....
Old 04-08-22, 05:25 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
*Engage extreme sarcasm mode*: I'm confused here. Bicyclists aren't allowed on Interstate highways, but motorists park and drive on sidewalks/MUPs and in bike lanes (and wait in pedestrian/MUP crossings) with impunity....
Well yeah... But those thing have an engine... So the LEOs sort of consider them legit. Now if cyclists would just go "VROOM VROOM" on the interstate... They'd probably be OK.
Likes For genec:
Old 04-08-22, 05:48 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Well yeah... But those thing have an engine... So the LEOs sort of consider them legit. Now if cyclists would just go "VROOM VROOM" on the interstate... They'd probably be OK.
Roflmao, that made my day!
Old 04-08-22, 07:33 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Maybe I missed it, but it looks like 280 is not on that list.
Old 04-09-22, 05:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Maybe I missed it, but it looks like 280 is not on that list.

That list is not supposed to be comprehensive. I can't tell if this link will work, but it's an image of a "Bicycles Must Exit" sign on 280 from Google maps:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/HJzEktTGeUYsaQ8z9

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-09-22 at 05:47 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.