Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 01-25-22, 12:36 PM
barnfind

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
AM, AW, FW, & S5 share hub shell configurations. I have an AM with AW internals on one of my own bikes.

I believe the AC is also the same shell but I've not had one here to personally look at.
Old 01-25-22, 01:28 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 825 Times in 317 Posts
The roads here are generally paved (a few dirt ones are left), but the main problem is we get these horizontal cracks that run the width of the road and that gradually grow more and more open as time passes. There are two ways they mainly are addressed - "crack and chip seal", which is where they put down oil and loose stone, which then gets driven over and packed into the cracks and holes; and oil/tar sealing, which is where they try to fill the crack with what is the equivalent of road caulk.

So the Col de la Vie tires, I've found, handle that kind of situation pretty well. They soak up the bumps and cracks pretty well for me. What they don't like are little shards of glass that get grabbed by the tread and work their way in. The one flat I've had was exactly that - little bit of glass from a broken bottle that got into the tread and caused a slow leak. The Col de la Vie tires are awesome when they do the loose stone and oil treatment because they're very sure-footed compared to a Kenda or Duro tire. The Schwalbes also handle it pretty well.
Old 01-25-22, 03:10 PM
quakerparrot67

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by barnfind
AM, AW, FW, & S5 share hub shell configurations. I have an AM with AW internals on one of my own bikes.

I believe the AC is also the same shell but I've not had one here to personally look at.

thank you, barnfind, that's what i needed to know.
no pictures or anything yet, but i'm putting together a well-patina'd '67 (my birth year) black 21" phillips sport that i just picked up on ebay. it's getting a set of sun alloy '18' wheels with g6 dynohub on front and the am on back, hopefully with '67 s-5 internals if i can convince the mechanic at my lbs that they can be swapped and that it's worth his while. the wheels (also ebay) are coming with nearly new michelin world tours. the fenders that came with the phillips are pretty rough, so it's getting a set of the alloy bluemels 'club racer' -style mudguards that were lying around. it's my first english 3speed, and i really look forward to getting it built up and on the road.
thanks for everyone who replied, and i'l prolly be witting this thread up with questions as this project comes along.

cheers,
rob
Old 01-25-22, 05:49 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Interesting 23" Puch. Looks like an updated Rugby Sport.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...44863610838731

Old 01-26-22, 06:48 AM
bluesteak 

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by quakerparrot67
thank you, barnfind, that's what i needed to know.
no pictures or anything yet, but i'm putting together a well-patina'd '67 (my birth year) black 21" phillips sport that i just picked up on ebay. it's getting a set of sun alloy '18' wheels with g6 dynohub on front and the am on back, hopefully with '67 s-5 internals if i can convince the mechanic at my lbs that they can be swapped and that it's worth his while. the wheels (also ebay) are coming with nearly new michelin world tours. the fenders that came with the phillips are pretty rough, so it's getting a set of the alloy bluemels 'club racer' -style mudguards that were lying around. it's my first english 3speed, and i really look forward to getting it built up and on the road.
thanks for everyone who replied, and i'l prolly be witting this thread up with questions as this project comes along.

cheers,
rob
happy to hear someone is making good use of those wheels. I saw them on eBay, but I need to do a house cleaning.
Old 01-26-22, 08:33 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
On the subject of EA3 tires, I've been running Panaracer Col de la vies on a set of CR-18 rims for some time now and on a few different bikes. I like them a lot and never have had a flat (but they also don't see much mileage). They're well suited to unpaved surfaces at low PSI. With my dial caliper, they measure 37mm wide on those rims. For my 1940 Raleigh Sports project, I wanted blackwall tires and ordered some Schwalbe Delta Cruisers, directly from Schwalbe USA at $17/tire. They're listed as 37 x 590, and I installed one last night on a steel Endrick rim, and at about 40 psi, they measure 35mm, which should be just right for this bike. I'm encouraged by the feel of these: the rubber isn't super hard, the look is traditional, the weight not too bad. Much better than those skinny Kenda rocks I reported on previously!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-26-22, 09:23 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Originally Posted by nlerner
On the subject of EA3 tires, I've been running Panaracer Col de la vies on a set of CR-18 rims for some time now and on a few different bikes. I like them a lot and never have had a flat (but they also don't see much mileage). They're well suited to unpaved surfaces at low PSI. With my dial caliper, they measure 37mm wide on those rims. For my 1940 Raleigh Sports project, I wanted blackwall tires and ordered some Schwalbe Delta Cruisers, directly from Schwalbe USA at $17/tire. They're listed as 37 x 590, and I installed one last night on a steel Endrick rim, and at about 40 psi, they measure 35mm, which should be just right for this bike. I'm encouraged by the feel of these: the rubber isn't super hard, the look is traditional, the weight not too bad. Much better than those skinny Kenda rocks I reported on previously!
Yes, there's a big jump up in quality when you go up from the Kenda or Duro to the Schwalbe or Panaracer. I think the Kenda is a passable budget option - not great, but they lasted a lot longer than the Duro tires. But I noticed the difference in the quality of the ride improved a lot going to the Panaracer and the Schwalbe.

Did you have any trouble fitting them under the fenders? One thing I noticed was that the Panaracers maxed out my fender space on a 1974 Sports. The Schwalbes are on a 1958 Sports and the fit wasn't quite as tight, but certainly they were a larger tire than the Kenda or Duro.
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 01-26-22, 09:57 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Since we are into the details of suitable tires, how is the fit of the World Tours? I am thinking those will be a spring purchase for me to try on my wife's Standard Model K: the Kenda's on there are fine for the use it gets but they are a little skinny and as Neal says rock hard.....
Old 01-26-22, 10:07 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by markk900
Since we are into the details of suitable tires, how is the fit of the World Tours? I am thinking those will be a spring purchase for me to try on my wife's Standard Model K: the Kenda's on there are fine for the use it gets but they are a little skinny and as Neal says rock hard.....
They fit nice and - as pointed out above - have a slightly thicker cross section over the budget stuff. Here are a pair on my '52 Sports:

They also fit onto the rim well and the bead tends to seat without issue. However, they're tight enough to give peace of mind that they won't blow off the straight-side rims.

-Kurt

P.S.: @SirMike1983 - love your Sports there. These black 1950's/early-1960's machines have to be the most satisfactory way to get into 3-speeds. Between the paint, bombproof chrome, and understated panache, they feel so good to ride and own - and it's a lot of fun if you're lucky enough to come across someone else with one too.

Last edited by cudak888; 01-26-22 at 10:24 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-26-22, 12:17 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by 2flit
I thought that someone here might know who to ask on this Forum.
Someone that might know the 10-sp frames that were built in England in the 1960's or 1970's?
I'd like to ID the frame builder
I hope it's OK to ask on the 3-sp channel....
Best to start a new thread for identifications. "Unknown English (?) extra-tall frame ID help."

Interesting choice of the builder to choose a Nervex Pro seatlug and a completely different set of headlugs.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-26-22, 09:09 PM
BFisher

Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Now that's a great deal! I bet you'll like those Schwalbes.

@SirMike1983, your bikes always look like they're in tip top shape. Always glad to see your photos.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 01-27-22, 08:19 PM
quakerparrot67

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bluesteak
happy to hear someone is making good use of those wheels. I saw them on eBay, but I need to do a house cleaning.
it was a good deal for the set, and i can't wait to put them to use. i'll eventually be back with pictures once i get thing a little further along.

cheers,
rob
Old 01-28-22, 11:45 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
On the bay, as a pick up only, located in Westwood, NJ is a beautiful emerald green with nice chrome fenders, its an ancient Columbia Tourist III for just twenty-five.
Someone in that neighborhood, that likes tinkering with old 3 speeds should jump on that one, and hopefully keep it a rider for someone in your family or friend/neighbor etc but you know that piecing it out will yield maximum return if thats your thing.......but those old Columbia Tourist III three speeds are just as good as any the old English ones..........plus that emerald green color is striking against those peaked chrome fenders.....plus the one piece crank beats the three piece cottered crank every day of the week when it comes to "life on a 3 speed in the upright position" because weight doesn't mean a thing because no matter what you can't make it zing even if you were to pedal like Superman and try to lighten the bike's weight as much as possible with a 3 speed. You wouldn't want to anyway because its all about the smooth ride with a comfortable spring saddle that probably weighs at least several pounds on its own....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275088084645
Old 01-29-22, 02:41 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

That is a pretty good deal for the Columbia. Columbia's line of ,modern utility and 3-speed type bikes (this includes bikes that were in the style of a 3-speed, but which had coaster hub, New Departure multigear, etc.) goes back to the late 1930s with the Sports Tourist and Sports Roadster. They added a folding bike with 26 inch wheels to the line in the 1940s. Columbia continued to build good quality 3-speed type bikes into the 1950s. These bikes were the equal of a basic Raleigh Sports or Schwinn New World. Columbia in particular underwent some rather harsh cost-cutting on their utility and 3-speed bikes in the 1960s. The green one on eBay looks like a nice early or mid 1960s model from before the worst of the cost-cutting set in. Later bikes use cheaper parts, Shimano 333 hubs, etc. But this green one looks to be from
toward the end of when Columbia was making good quality 3-speeds. It's certainly worth the $25 if you like American-made 3 speed bikes.

I owned a 1940 Columbia Sports Roadster, which had a New Departure coaster brake and a Philco Birmingham front caliper. It was a hybrid of English and American features. I sold it to a collector who now owns the bike in Mexico.

Last edited by SirMike1983; 01-29-22 at 02:48 PM.
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 01-29-22, 06:46 PM
dirtman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
I had a Columbia similar to that one about 45 years ago, it was my first three speed. I rode it till the rear dropouts worked loose in the frame tubes. The Stewart Warner speedometer was about a 100 miles from turning back over to zero when it came apart, I took an ox-acetilene torch and brazed it back together and rode it for another four or five years. It was a tough bike that survived a ton of abuse. It had a Sturmey Archer AW with a trigger shifter, chrome fenders, and those wide, flat Columbia handlebars. I eventually bought a used Norman with a larger frame at a flea market and the Columbia got set aside and eventually sold.
Likes For dirtman:
Old 01-30-22, 09:54 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by brianhamp
Men's Triumph 3 speed Sturmey Archer AW 75-9 . Made in Canada.
Serviced and shined it up. Put on a set of Michelin World Tours.
Nothing really special but it rides nice.

Is it normal to have a Raleigh stamped chain ring on a Triumph bicycle?
Old 01-30-22, 07:20 PM
oldspokes

Bikes: more than 20

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
Is it normal to have a Raleigh stamped chain ring on a Triumph bicycle?
Although it may be different on a Canadian built bike, but the Triumph bikes I run across here usually have a generic 3 spoke chainring and ball bearing pedals.
On English built bikes, I was under the impression that those pedals were also a late 60's thing, maybe even as late as '70 but our mid 70's bikes all had reflectorized pedals with bearings.
If I ran across that here I'd likely just assume it was either put together from spare parts or at the very least had a crank set swap at some point.
I see its got 36/36h wheels, what branding is on the rims on that bike? Dunlop? Sturmey Archer? or other?
Old 01-30-22, 08:16 PM
mitchito

Bikes: 1948 Humber, 1956 Raleigh, 1957 Rigby Bros, 1950s Hercules Renown,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
I'm really liking that green Columbia. I'm away from the northeast till March. I'll ask him if he'll hold it for me if I pay now. I have Raleigh, Humber, Rigby, Hercules, Western Flyer, Hiawatha, AMF, Ross, Huffy 3 speed bikes but no Columbia. i may need therapy.
Old 01-30-22, 08:21 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,031 Times in 1,245 Posts
Unusual Raleigh/Triumph and may have been a transitional Canadian bike. Here's a 73 Triumph sold in Halifax. In fact, I don't remember seeing many Canadian Triumphs after the mid 70's

Likes For clubman:
Old 01-30-22, 08:27 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,031 Times in 1,245 Posts
I've never seen those pedals after 1970ish. That's an outlier.
Old 01-30-22, 10:25 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by clubman
I've never seen those pedals after 1970ish. That's an outlier.
IIRC, the simplified Heron chainrings didn't show up until 1973-74ish.

My bet is that the crankset is a replacement from BITD, but the original nylon platform pedals were fitted to it.

Correction - if this is a '75, that changes a lot...

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 01-30-22 at 10:34 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-30-22, 10:35 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

The rims are marked Sturmey Archer... 26x1 3/8
Curiously, where's the serial number on this one? Back of the seattube, on the seatlug, or somewhere unique to the Canadian-built bikes?

-Kurt

Old 01-30-22, 10:55 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

I am thinking it is a 1975... The Sturmey Archer AW hub is dated 75-9..
So far, the pedals, not the crankset (as I thought) are the only outlier, as @clubman pointed out. What's the first digit after "RK?" (R = Canada / K = July)

Perhaps the pedals are old stock in this case, and the crankset used because that was on hand. Also explains the funky later decals.

I'm not surprised about the Endrick rims though. Pretty much standard fare for all the TI-era secondary brands; no reason a later model should vary from that trend.

-Kurt

Old 01-30-22, 11:07 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

The serial number is RK678869.
Are Endrick rims the same as Sturmey Archer rims? These are marked Sturmey Archer.
RK6 - 1976. So frameset produced a bit later, after the wheels.

Endrick is just a name for the box section rim type (vs. the raised center Westricks or Westwoods).

1950's rims are usually marked Raleigh or Dunlop, and by the 1970's, they were labeled Sturmey-Archer instead. Standard equipment for a Raleigh-made machine.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-31-22, 08:37 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
I believe that Canadian made Raleighs were more assembled/painted in Canada from parts supplied.
There were some complicated tariffs imposed at the time.
I have a Canadian Superbe and the only difference is the shade of green used.

It's a 1978 model and it's more of a "forest" green as to what I would call "olive" green
on the British version.
This is the first 3 speed I bought years ago that started the obsession...Purchased from a guy up the street several years ago, this is my everyday work bike and gets the most use.
It also gets the most attention. Last year all the bearings were re-packed and new cables installed in the original ribbed housings.

Tires and brakes are newish as well.
Likes For gster:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.