Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Old 01-24-22, 10:45 PM
jimbaddabim

Bikes: 1995 Gary Fisher Cronus 1986 Ciocc 1984? Schwinn Fuji Track Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Stripping paint....

off the Schwinn Peloton...It was bad, otherwise I would have kept the "patina."
Likes For jimbaddabim:
Old 01-25-22, 12:30 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
This afternoon I started tearing down the KHS I got the other day. Everything going well until I went to yank off the square taper crank. I'm a fan of light grease on the spindle before mounting a crank for the reason I have right now. That puppy is on there. Letting it soak some more right now before I break out the pipe extension.

Drive side threads seem to be messed up so that one may take a move agressive 3 jaw puller attack if I can't get the crank tool in.

Update:
None drive side off. drive side is really pissing me off. I hate how people can't just take there time and do things right. Some heavy-handed fool in the past totally trashed the threads so now I'm just plan stuck. Not worried about damaging the crank but can't get puller jaws to stay on this one. Probably going to another fight to get this off and all because someone just didn't pay attention when working on this before.
Did you try a couple hose clamps around the arms to hold them in place?

You can also grind the hooks to dig in and bite better.
Old 01-25-22, 06:46 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Did you try a couple hose clamps around the arms to hold them in place?

You can also grind the hooks to dig in and bite better.
I finally got the tool to feed that let me clean up the threads on the crank arms so I could fit on the puller.

I put two metal straps behind the crank normally to hold a puller on. This time nothing was lining up but I'll remember your tip for sure. Thanks!
Old 01-25-22, 03:24 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by jamesdak
I finally got the tool to feed that let me clean up the threads on the crank arms so I could fit on the puller.

I put two metal straps behind the crank normally to hold a puller on. This time nothing was lining up but I'll remember your tip for sure. Thanks!
You're welcome, anytime.

I know how frustrating it can be to not have things go the way we normally get them done. As a flat rate mechanic you can really take a beating when things go south, the book and most shops don't care if you don't have the time, tool, skill or whatever, you're on the clock and the hook no matter what it takes and it comes out of your hide.

I did ok for 20 years but many other guys were faster and more butcher so they made a lot more money than I did working on Fords.

The race track drag racing motorcycles was another whole different trial by fire when things go wrong, you better be able to improvise and fix it quick or you're done for the day, weekend, whatever. Came up with some good quick fixes in 40 years of that.

Lots of workarounds and patches come out of panic situations, the key is to make them stick and win the next round.
Old 01-28-22, 03:08 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Fresh new headset top race for the Colnago today. The old one looked like this:

Took a shot of the different stamping styles between the two:

All better now!
Likes For BFisher:
Old 01-30-22, 03:43 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
For many of us on the east coast its too cold to ride and too much snow and ice out there. So I've been working on the wheels off a terribly neglected Miyata. Nice parts though so the wheels are worth saving. Loosened every spoke on both of em, removed the nipples (one at a time), cleaned them and the spoke threads and but them back together. Ran each nipple up to the edge of the threads as a starting point then started tensioning them a bit at time - three full turns each all the way around. Check for and adjust for any runout true and hop. Don't go crazy, just coarse adjustments which makes life easier later. Got both wheels pretty good so called it a day. Fine tuning and truing next time. Nice in the shop when I started but 35degF when I finished.

Say, for your real mechanics: If you tension wheels in stages, even over a few days, when do you apply and thread lock sorta of goop? I'm going to use Boiled Linseed Oil and plan to apply a drop to each spoke as I start the final round of tensioning and truing. Did not want to apply days ahead. What do youse all do?

My one of a kind truing stand, horizontal arms that use the ShopSmith as a base. VERY precise and I can measure in mils if I want. Everything in my shop has to be easy to put away as I have such a variety of projects. The ShopSmith and the vice often serve as the solid base for other tools, jigs and 'whatchacallits'. Now to change cloths and go back out for some cardio on the rollers. Inspired to ride like a banshee as its so cold out there.
Old 01-30-22, 09:07 PM
trucklet
good cheap fun

Bikes: Too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 17 Posts
I got some aluminum 1" spacers to finish up a 1996 steel GT Edge for the local co-op. Unfortunately it's not my size or I would buy it myself. The frame history is kewl and the Campy Chorus group is pretty neat.

I'm also falling in love with late 80s Schwinns. I picked up a red 1986 Le Tour that I'll be going through and riding this summer. The paint's really nice and it has a Sachs-Huret Rival group, another new one to me. I'll probably keep that one stock, debating non-aero or aero levers.
Likes For trucklet:
Old 01-31-22, 09:53 AM
hankamania

Bikes: Peugeot PX10, Miyata 712, Surly LHT, Schwinn Peloton, Guerciotti Aelle, Schwinn SuperSport, Peugeot Orient Express, GT Avalanche, Motobecane Nemesis, Trek 330, no-name Chinese carbon bike, and a Soma Fog Cutter V2..

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
Say, for your real mechanics: If you tension wheels in stages, even over a few days, when do you apply and thread lock sorta of goop? I'm going to use Boiled Linseed Oil and plan to apply a drop to each spoke as I start the final round of tensioning and truing. Did not want to apply days ahead. What do youse all do?
When I've used Linseed Oil, I dip the spoke before lacing it. Linseed oil doesn't really harden the way other threadlockers do.
Old 01-31-22, 12:15 PM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 138 Posts

My winter project getting a 1951/52 Sun Manxman F/F back on the road.
I will post a build thread, my first so...
Anyway, this frame is no stranger to the forums, it has just been awhile.

Last edited by OTS; 01-31-22 at 12:40 PM.
Likes For OTS:
Old 02-01-22, 12:37 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
As always, I like your tools and your approaches.

Some bike wheel builders do use boiled linseed oil. There's a facebook group called Bicycle Wheelbuilders Group, and some discuss that. I think some use blue Loctite, too. I use oil or grease because they help me get tension tight with minimal friction. The thinking is that if it's sufficiently tight, it won't tend to unwind. There's room for various opinions on this topic.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-01-22, 05:09 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 411 Posts
I'm still working on the Raleigh GP Mixte,

Likes For daverup:
Old 02-02-22, 07:09 AM
Prowler 

Thanks to hankamania and noglider for the input on spoke goop. Another friend, experienced wheel builder, agreed. Poor ole me, I’ll back off all the nipples and apply the BLO then run them back up. As to lubricating the spoke threads, the BLO does that for quite some time before it dries and binds the interface. It will be months before these wheels go outside.

Note: another reason I only do extensive wheel work in the winter. Plenty of time indoors and little time out actually riding. So no incentive to cut corners on a build. Do it right the first time or do it over. As long as the wood stove is well fed there’s no valid excuses.
Old 02-04-22, 10:00 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
Snow day today so I decided to overhaul the Esquartz pedals I recently bought. The Cro-Mo spindle is so shiny, I considered polishing the aluminum bits. But some nicks, scratches and oxidation don't hurt a rider..

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 02-04-22, 11:13 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Snow day today so I decided to overhaul the Esquartz pedals I recently bought. The Cro-Mo spindle is so shiny, I considered polishing the aluminum bits. But some nicks, scratches and oxidation don't hurt a rider..

Very nice. I have a pair that came originally on my Competizione, and this makes me want to clean them up and put them back on.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 02-04-22, 07:16 PM
Prowler 

Everything in my shop has to be easy to put away as I have such a variety of projects. The ShopSmith and the vice often serve as the solid base for other tools, jigs and 'whatchacallits'.
I may finally be one of the cool kids now as I have a more proper bike work stand, well sort of. I came across this old (likely 15 to 20 years old) work stand clamp head. Orphaned as there was no work stand in sight. I pondered it awhile wondering if I could craft a solid holder for this thing in my shop. Of course it has to be easy to put away after its occasional uses. So, it was very interesting deciding what design to use for this and how to effectively and safely create it (anyone else know about fly cutters? Effective, precise and SCARY tool). The clamp head itself was dirty and scratched up (patina) but functionally in fine shape. The rubber on the jaws was shot but that's what old inner tubes are for, eh?

I'm pleased with how it came out. Besides from putting a bike or two into this I tested it with a 4 foot wrecking bar, clamped at one end and the rest held out over the floor. Nice and secure. This will be a nice supplement to the loop of rope hooked to the ceiling in my shop. Thats fine for many quick adjustments and checks but this will be nice as its solid.

Ah, yeah, I varnished it too. Its been raining for two days so I had the time.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 02-05-22, 12:51 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
Well for one, I decided to finally deal with the totally dull Trek 5200 frame I had picked up last year. So I wiped it down then went over the full frame with some rubbing compound. Followed that up with some polishing compound, Mequiars Glaze, Carnauba Wax and then spray Mequiars finishing wax. That restored a deep, rich shine to the old girl.

Before I worked the frame

Hard to tell from these cellphone pics but there is a huge improvement.

And I'm still slowly hacking away at the KHS.

Dura Ace 7400 series parts slapped on,
Old 02-05-22, 06:00 PM
adamwaltke

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool thread to subscribe to
Old 02-07-22, 09:16 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
The Colnago received a new old freewheel - a zero mileage Sachs 13-21 - and a brand new Sram chain, along with a BB clean and repack, and a 52 big ring in place of the pantoed, but more worn, 53.

Also been working on this one. The white Suntour/Sakae/Dia-Compe set looks good on it. The hub cones are pitted, and I replaced the rear spoke nipples, as many were cracked or boogered up. They'll do until I either find cones that match or snag something nicer. Have a pair of Vittoria Corsa G2.0 coming for it, and am eager to try them out.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 02-07-22, 08:57 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

I haven't decided if I want to call this a Western Flyer badged Hercules or a Hercules built Western Flyer. But I planned on tearing it down tonight. Once I got a good look at how the flea market I pulled it out of scrubbed the hell out of the paint, I decided to break the seal on a bottle of Elijah Craig small batch and watch Perry Mason instead. While I still think the forks are bent, the silver lining is the pedals came off like they were installed yesterday.

Old 02-09-22, 08:41 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
1. Rossin Laser Aero. The elder Van der Poel (and his team) rode them in the early 80’s TdF prologue. Somewhat uncooperative frame. Piggyback shifters, 600AX calipers, but an upgrade to modernish…

2. A mixte, also uncooperative but getting there.

3. A Terry 700/520 roadie. Everything starts at the front wheel.

4. Cinelli stepson, 3x9 Racing T(o) a nervous breakdown. Shout out to David Lyndley and El Rayo X….

5. 2012? Cannondale SuperSix “electronic only” Di2 Ultegra 2x10 mongrel. I have it at 15.45 lbs, but am certain I can get it sub-15 if I go cabled and SRAM Red. The frame has no accommodations for cable shifting, but I bought some oval and round grommets and may give it a try. I own a drill and ignorance is bliss.

Moving the Di2 to a classic frame will require consults with RiddleOfSteel.
Old 02-09-22, 04:40 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Not vintage, but my theft-recovery minivelo has become a for testing paint. I had bought it years ago at Nashbar for pennies and promptly had it stolen a few weeks after getting it. When I got it back ~12 days later, it was pretty trashed. Lots of bad scratches, a dent, and the usual mangled parts.
Testing Montana Gold low pressure acrylic. Wow, pretty forgiving. After 3-4 coats, the under-the-clearcoat decals are almost hidden as well as most of my lazy prep work. I'm going to do a lazy Squid-style mask job and throw down another color in a day or two.

Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 02-09-22, 05:54 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Testing Montana Gold low pressure acrylic. Wow, pretty forgiving. After 3-4 coats, the under-the-clearcoat decals are almost hidden as well as most of my lazy prep work. I'm going to do a lazy Squid-style mask job and throw down another color in a day or two.
Please keep us updated. I looked at your picture thinking this was something you did with a sprayer and didn't realize it was in a can until I googled it. I have a couple of bikes that aren't going to be worth the cost of professional painting but I want the best I can get out of a can.

Old 02-10-22, 09:30 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
A couple of years ago I bought a cute French bike, I went to align the rear triangle and discovered it was the front triangle that was out. So I stripped the frame down, the wheels went to another build and that was it. The frame has hung around ever since.

I've been wondering since, how do I isolate, secure on a manner that won't cause more damage. That wild hair kept growing, how? I'm looking at C-clamps, J-clamps, even a larger furniture clamp, various vises. Not one of those were tickling the fancy. Then I glance over at weightlifting set, I have twist end locks.

I pulled my barbell and grabbed the locks of a dumbbell and bingo! I had the bb vised on the bar securely. I first went to align the seatube, I did this with another bar inserted in the tube and pushed or pulled until I had an even measure parallel to the drive side bb face. I used my metal lever clamped the bb for reference.

I probably could have used the 2x4 but I felt better with the bar inserted. That went easy peasy.

Here is a shot of the the downtube with my level.

I rotated the frame within my jig to address the downtube, and used the 2x4 for manipulation.

and the results.

No wonder the string test gave me a headache. The frame still need a twist to get the head, for that I the headtube on the barbell and loose bar went in seatube and a yank on the brought that inline.

After that the the rear end was a breeze.

Now that was a fun afternoon!

Last edited by Mr. 66; 02-10-22 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-10-22, 03:09 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
A couple of years ago I bought a cute French bike, I went to align the rear triangle and discovered it was the front triangle that was out. So I stripped the frame down, the wheels went to another build and that was it. The frame has hung around ever since.

I've been wondering since, how do I isolate, secure on a manner that won't cause more damage. That wild hair kept growing, how? I'm looking at C-clamps, J-clamps, even a larger furniture clamp, various vises. Not one of those were tickling the fancy. Then I glance over at weightlifting set, I have twist end locks.

I pulled my barbell and grabbed the locks of a dumbbell and bingo! I had the bb vised on the bar securely. I first went to align the seatube, I did this with another bar inserted in the tube and pushed or pulled until I had an even measure parallel to the drive side bb face. I used my metal lever clamped the bb for reference.

I probably could have used the 2x4 but I felt better with the bar inserted. That went easy peasy.

Here is a shot of the the downtube with my level.

I rotated the frame within my jig to address the downtube, and used the 2x4 for manipulation.

and the results.

No wonder the string test gave me a headache. The frame still need a twist to get the head, for that I the headtube on the barbell and loose bar went in seatube and a yank on the brought that inline.

After that the the rear end was a breeze. Now that was a fun afternoon!
Brilliant!
Old 02-11-22, 02:37 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Chuck M It's a hair chilly (48F) and the recommendations are to wait until it warms up a couple more degrees, so of course I've started with the second coat. (I know I should have had a bucket of warm water for the can...) After a few seconds, the spray evened out and went on fine. As you can see, I wrapped a mixture of twine, satin jewelry cording, and 21g badminton string to create some stripes. With the frame shape I was expecting to get some runs, but so far only one that I've noticed. I'll upwrap it tonight after I've put ~.5-.75 of the can on.

Likes For Dylansbob:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.