Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Almost Taken-out Today by Mercedes SUV

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-08-21, 11:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts

Was descending a mile long hill but keeping my speed down to 25 MPH because the roads were wet. To my horror, coming from the opposite direction was a white SUV with turn signal on starting to cross right in front of me and then stops mid-lane giving me no options. Don’t if she didn’t see me in my bright orange-red jacket or what. I am full on the brakes knowing there is no way I can stop fast enough not to impact her. At the last second she came to her senses and gunned it forward. Just missed her by a second. Shouted a few choice words, but she was still accelerating up her long driveway. Hope she dropped her mobile phone in her latte.

Old 11-09-21, 04:31 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,718 Times in 2,913 Posts
Wow! Lucky escape. A lot of drivers are just inattentive. Too many distractions these days. I hope that was a wake-up call for her.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-09-21, 07:33 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
Kudos to you for cycling safely in those conditions. I learned that lesson as well in my years of cycling in Issaquah, on Cougar Mt. Wet conditions there can be extremely slick in the moss and organic debris. I left before the Mercedes SUVs and even Starbucks came along, decades before there were smartphones.
Old 11-09-21, 07:55 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
"Smart" phones and dumb users. I commute nearly daily and overall humanity hasn't given me hope on any given day. Just the opposite
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 11-09-21, 08:34 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Kudos to you for cycling safely in those conditions. I learned that lesson as well in my years of cycling in Issaquah, on Cougar Mt. Wet conditions there can be extremely slick in the moss and organic debris. I left before the Mercedes SUVs and even Starbucks came along, decades before there were smartphones.
I wasn't there, but 25mph on a wet downhill road that has the potential for crossing vehicle traffic doesn't sound that safe to me.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 11-09-21 at 10:10 AM.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 11-09-21, 11:46 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 407 Posts
In my "environmental studies," I have found the cohort driving that particular make & style are in the bottom quartile of driving skill relative to socio-economic status. That's as diplomatic a phrasing as I can produce.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 11-09-21, 01:32 PM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Many drivers underestimate how fast some of the road bikes can travel.

Recently, I was biking at about 20mph in the neighborhood taking advantage of empty streets and perfect visibility, and could see in a distance (~100m) lady preparing to back into the driveway, she looked at me with flashing front light and neon bright shirt, hesitated, and obviously assessed that there was enough time for her maneuver, and she moved the car across the road blocking the passage. However, in a few seconds I was close enough that I had to break, no emergency, but surprise. I am pretty sure she would have waited if only she realized that I was coming so fast.
Likes For rowerek:
Old 11-09-21, 01:45 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
OP should go buy a lottery ticket! they're on a roll! :-)

hills are a vice with consequences. I've ridden down too many too fast & had 2nd thoughts afterwards. why are they so darn fun? good for the OP for feathering his speed. but yeah, one must consider how one will take the impact. who of us actually has cat-like reflexes & the 9-lives to match? can we vault over the vehicle? is that even safer?

I've read from some on here that have had vehicle impacts. can't remember any that were at 25mph & had good outcomes
Old 11-09-21, 03:52 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by rowerek
Many drivers underestimate how fast some of the road bikes can travel.
This^^^.

People see an approaching bike and all too often the autopilot in their heads automatically register "bike, someone pootling along at 10 mph". And then in a seeming instant you're on top of them. I run a flashing front light in the forlorn hope it helps.

As far as Mercedes drivers, an old friend was once hit in East Hampton NY, one of the wealthiest zip codes in the country, by an unemployed, uninsured, unlicensed and, as we must say now, "undocumented" gentleman who may have had a bit to drink that fine morn. My friends lament was "It was the only car within 100 yards that wasn't a Mercedes".
Likes For kaos joe:
Old 11-09-21, 08:05 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Daytime running lights. I was a daily, year-round commuter, and although I had a full compliment of lights for commuting at night (see avatar photo), based on what I had read on bikeforums, a couple of years ago I started using my flashing head and tail-lights during the day, as well as my front and rear helmet flashers. I have noticed a big difference in being noticed by cars. My forward helmet flasher is a simple, inexpensive Schwinn Intensa 100-lumen. Just $20 for a set (The rear is not bright enough to be useful to me). Link below.

That headlight is more than bright enough to be noticed but not as bright as a "real" headlight. Still, I see it lighting up stop signs during the day.

And as a backup attention-getter I have my Airzound Airhorn which on three of my bikes I can operate with without removing my hand from the bars on three of my bikes (two with a pinkie, one with a thumb). On my new bull-horn bar folder I have to shift my hand. Almost everything on the folder is a compromise, and yet...I'm diggin' it!

Glad you're okay. I have plenty of hills here in Colorado Springs, and I don't think 25 mph is necessarily too fast on a wet downhill. The fact that you slowed, shows you were exercising some prudence.

And even if you were as visible and loud as an emergency vehicle, that's still no guarantee the driver would have noticed you as is sadly the case so many times these days.

I'm not second guessing you or anybody else, I'm just sharing what works for me.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-I...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-09-21, 09:52 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Is it better to be taken out by a Mercedes SUV vs Ford, Dodge, GM, Toyota, Nissan, etc, or will it feel the same either way. Actually given a preference I’d prefer the F150.
Tim
Old 11-09-21, 11:03 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Daytime, I run a 250 lumen white flasher in front and a 300 lumen red one in back. That's what it takes IME. Those lights are way cheap compared to the possible cost of not having them. OTOH I remember well when motorcycle riders complained about either having to wear a helmet or running their lamps in daytime.
Old 11-09-21, 11:59 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by tkamd73
Is it better to be taken out by a Mercedes SUV vs Ford, Dodge, GM, Toyota, Nissan, etc, or will it feel the same either way. Actually given a preference I’d prefer the F150.
Tim
From an insurance perspective and her being at fault, I’ll stick with the Merc. Have nothing against F150s - great trucks.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-10-21, 12:10 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I wasn't there, but 25mph on a wet downhill road that has the potential for crossing vehicle traffic doesn't sound that safe to me.
The road is very rural with very few driveways so felt pretty safe at 25. I usually take it at 30+ In the nicer months. That said, going down a hill at 15 and broadsiding a deer can be lethal. Last summer when cruising down a 1/2 mile hill a deer crossed 50’ right in front of me and really was startling. You just never know if or when, but life to me is a non-stop game of calculated risks or likelihood of occurrences. Being a chicken at heart, I don’t push the odds but also don’t live in a state of constant fear and apprehension either.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-10-21, 01:03 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
i also rock a blinking front light at all times on all rides-including mups. will never know how many
incidents/accidents i've avoided and it doesn't give me clearance to ride faster in questionable
situations/conditions but it can't hurt. visibility is huge as is (previously mentioned) speed.
used to do a ton of riding in an area noted for oodles of elderly drivers that seemingly had bigger
issues judging speed vs visibility. so many slow, drawn-out left hooks, right hooks and t-bone situations.
this was 15 years ago. increased reliance on cell phones and in-vehicle distracting electronics haven't helped
since then.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 11-10-21, 01:50 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
I-like -to-bike- said it the best!

rsbob: well, you felt pretty safe at 25 UNTIL YOU PROBABLY THOUGH THAT YOU MIGHT BE A STATISTIC.

I don't know if yall are old enough to remember the national US public ad campaign from circa 1967 throughout the end of the SiXTIES called "WATCH OUT FOR THE OTHER GUY". It was a PRINT, RADIO SPOT, and TELEVISION AD campaign aimed at trying to reduce automobile accidents by essentially instructing the public that The Other Guy is NOT ALWAYS GONNA DRIVE SAFELY or FOLLOW PROPER TRAFFIC RULES, meaning that YOU ALWAYS MUST BE ON GUARD because IF YOU ASSUME THAT EVERYTHING IS ALWAYS GONNA BE FLAWLESS & PERFECT, you're likely gonna put yourself in such a situation where you could be killed...
This is essentially what you have done with being unable to STOP your bicycle on said road because you are NOT ANTICIPATING that the probability of encountering such a clueless dumbass driving an SUV. YES, YOU ARE COMPLETELY IN-THE-RIGHT & NOT-AT-FAULT AT ALL, COMING DOWN THAT ROAD, BUT WHAT THE HELL GOOD IS THAT WHEN YOU END UP DEAD OR SEVERELY INJURED BECAUSE YOU COLLIDED WITH A TURNING IN PROGRESS SUV!!!
Use your frikken head man, and tightly control your speed to a slow-enough speed that you can better stop IF & WHEN SOME DUMBASS DOES TURN LEFT ACROSS & INFRONT OF YOU. It is gonna happen again. People are not perfect. Many drivers simply don't even think that they will ever encounter a bicycle rider so they mentally don't ever think about them in the same way they recognize motor-cycle riders! Yeah, you can say all that you want that you do have the legal right to ride as you did down the road and that is certainly true but as you have seen most vehicle drivers are not very attentive and most are severely distracted and simply do not pay attention to anything as small as a rider on a bicycle. Those are the sad facts. Ask any motorcyclist and they will tell you that you must always WATCH OUT FOR THE OTHER GUY and further assume that they are an irrational, unpredictable dumbass that drives like Mr. Magoo.
Your life depends on it. Be careful on the routes and streets & the traffic situation at that time of the morning, day, afternoon, evening that you choose to ride them.
Twenty-five mph in wet conditions heading downhill could be treacherous if you were to encounter a pothole or some road debris or somebody's fallen-off tailpipe or muffler If you get in a situation where you lose control or skid, slide out into the path of a moving vehicle, going either in your direction or with a vehicle going the opposite direction, the probabilty that you will be fatally injured is extremely high. Physics: 30 pound bike & 180 pound rider vs a 3000+ pound automobile is NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO "EXPERIMENT WITH" AS THE CRASH TEST DUMMY ON A BICYCLE.
*****Ride Defensively and Smart!! Never Assume that the Automobile Driver will drive perfectly!!
Be well. Ride On but most importantly be smart and consider where, when, and how , at the appropriate speed.
The mindset of the majority of vehicle drivers WILL NOT CHANGE SIGNIFICANTLY no matter how great the push-effort to instruct/inform "share the road" , etc.
Sure, you or your estate would have the potential for , with the right attorney, a significant settlement, should a castastrophic injury event occur while riding properly obeying traffic laws and being injured as a direct result of negligence and motor vehicle driver error. No amount of compensation can make up for losing you --OR-- for you becoming disabled. No joke, you should consider changing your own way of thinking on this subject because the dumbass distracted motor vehicle drivers are not going away. They will be there today, tomorrow, and the next day..........every day 24/7..... and that is not likely to change during your grandchildren's lifetimes.
If that scares the S#l! outta you on some routes & days, well it should and it probably should convince you to change your route and/or to decide to take the car and drive to work in wet or extreme weather on certain such days, etc.
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 11-10-21, 07:41 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
On the Mercedes vs Ford pickup insurance topic, I was taken down by a stray Chihuahua in a Phoenix barrio a few years ago. I briefly considered contacting law enforcement, tracking down the dog's owner (and the dog itself, which was probably mortally injured), and possibly trying to get compensation for possible injuries. Then I looked around the neighborhood and realized there is no money here. And lots of stray Chihuahuas, as most of the locals were probably from the nearby state of Chihuahua. So I limped away and dealt with my own recovery.

I didn't like myself for realizing if this had been an off-leash designer poodle in a nice neighborhood, I probably would have initiated legal proceedings. I know cycling is not for the risk-averse, and I try to be ready to accept the consequences of the risks I take. (I also think there's more risk in not cycling.)

I kept riding though the barrio to get to the non-profit bike shop where I was volunteering, but I rode slower and more carefully.
Old 11-10-21, 08:19 AM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
I’ve seen 2 near misses between SUVs and ambulances with the lights and sirens going in the last couple months. Full daylight, turning at intersections. That gives me a hint as to my visibility on a bike. Don’t get killed out there.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 11-10-21, 08:36 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,614 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
I’ve seen 2 near misses between SUVs and ambulances with the lights and sirens going in the last couple months. Full daylight, turning at intersections. That gives me a hint as to my visibility on a bike. Don’t get killed out there.
I experienced something similar recently. Stopped at a light (in my car) that turned green, but I could hear sirens approaching rapidly, so I stayed put. The idiot behind me was blowing his horn and gesturing wildly for me to go. I honestly thought he was going to drive around me, until he saw the fire engine scream through the intersection, full lights, sirens, and that air horn.

When drivers aren't paying attention, everything is invisible to them.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 11-10-21, 10:14 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I do have a blinking light on both ends of the bike, which is even more important during the limited daylight and heavy shadowed period we just entered. Unfortunately when people are not paying attention, there is no amount of bright clothing or flashing that will be effective. And another poster stated that some drivers cannot conceive of a bike going faster than what they might ride - maybe 5 MPH. - so their experience dictates that no one could possibly go that fast and they act accordingly.

The other day while driving my SUV (beige) with daytime running lights, I was starting to round a corner where there is also a turn lane coming from the opposite direction. A guy in his pickup illegally pulled right in front of me, not yielding, forcing me to slam on the brakes. All I got from his was a “Sorry man”. He was clearly in the wrong and may have been intoxicated. One can never plan enough for irrational actions but being defensive certainly helps.

Have to say that being a cyclist has made me a more aware and defensive driver. I am quite sure it is the same for a number of you as well.

Old 11-10-21, 10:28 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Tim
Maybe we could do a poll?
Old 11-10-21, 11:10 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
The road is very rural with very few driveways so felt pretty safe at 25. I usually take it at 30+ In the nicer months. That said, going down a hill at 15 and broadsiding a deer can be lethal. Last summer when cruising down a 1/2 mile hill a deer crossed 50’ right in front of me and really was startling. You just never know if or when, but life to me is a non-stop game of calculated risks or likelihood of occurrences. Being a chicken at heart, I don’t push the odds but also don’t live in a state of constant fear and apprehension either.
In the deer situation, what you want to do if you have the space, is to lock up the rear wheel, turn the front to the left slightly and lay the bike down, left hand on the bar top. Go under the deer, wheels first. I've done that twice, once on a motorcycle with a donkey, and once on a bike with a car. The car was stopped as in the OP. In both cases, I escaped essentially uninjured and finished my ride. It's totally rad to ride with blood on your sock. In both cases I was moving pretty fast. maybe 50 on the moto, 30 on the bike. The donkey was amazingly OK, slight limp. The car driver thought I was going to eat him alive.
Old 11-10-21, 02:04 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
You were going to fast for the existing conditions. When on the highway I need to be able to stop and so my speed depends on the traffic and my sight distance, and the condition of the road, whether it is covered with sand or water, whether it is smooth or bumpy as hell as that affects my ability to brake and stop the bike.

When I sold a four wheel drive station wagon and bought a sports coupe it took awhile to adjust to having so many motorists turn in front of me when I had the right of way. Even drivers in Volkswagen beatles would turn in front of my small car. When sailing on SF bay I quickly learned that many sailors believed the large sailboat had the right of way.

The worst part is that the motorist is usually the one that gets to talk to the police officer and so the reports nearly always show that the bicyclist was at fault.
Old 11-10-21, 02:14 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Was descending a mile long hill but keeping my speed down to 25 MPH because the roads were wet. To my horror, coming from the opposite direction was a white SUV with turn signal on starting to cross right in front of me and then stops mid-lane giving me no options. Don’t if she didn’t see me in my bright orange-red jacket or what. I am full on the brakes knowing there is no way I can stop fast enough not to impact her. At the last second she came to her senses and gunned it forward. Just missed her by a second. Shouted a few choice words, but she was still accelerating up her long driveway. Hope she dropped her mobile phone in her latte.
You remind me of this classic video from my daily commuting days - I was on dry pavement going 25+ mph, I really worked the brakes hard ... lifting off the rear wheel. Had the car not stopped, I would have collided with their door.

WARNING: I use many of George Carlin's 7 words you can't say on TV

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 11-10-21, 09:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
In the deer situation, what you want to do if you have the space, is to lock up the rear wheel, turn the front to the left slightly and lay the bike down, left hand on the bar top. Go under the deer, wheels first. I've done that twice, once on a motorcycle with a donkey, and once on a bike with a car. The car was stopped as in the OP. In both cases, I escaped essentially uninjured and finished my ride. It's totally rad to ride with blood on your sock. In both cases I was moving pretty fast. maybe 50 on the moto, 30 on the bike. The donkey was amazingly OK, slight limp. The car driver thought I was going to eat him alive.
A lot to remember in a panic situ but it is definitely good to know it works. Will try to remember it. Thanks. Don’t think I will practice though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.