Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Synthetic vs Merino Wool shirts

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Synthetic vs Merino Wool shirts

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-21, 11:43 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I am now wondering how much microfiber that is shedding to the environment but that Capilene [...]
Actually, my first motive to switch to capilene (vs other synthetics) is because it is one of the more sustainable alternatives. (Sorry if I sound like a fan -- I probably am, in this case)

Newfoundland on a 34' sailboat for Ireland
Did something similar a while back. I don't remember being this cold ever before. Worst thing is that salt water makes it such that your clothes will never be really dry until you can wash them in fresh water (typically rationed on passage). We now stick to the Med
Old 11-21-21, 11:45 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This is almost as good as a chain lube thread. I like wool a lot but I use synthetics on my bike rides as I find they dry faster.
Old 11-21-21, 12:18 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Actually, my first motive to switch to capilene (vs other synthetics) is because it is one of the more sustainable alternatives. (Sorry if I sound like a fan -- I probably am, in this case)

Did something similar a while back. I don't remember being this cold ever before. Worst thing is that salt water makes it such that your clothes will never be really dry until you can wash them in fresh water (typically rationed on passage). We now stick to the Med
I'm now reading about Amelia Earhart. For her - weight was everything. Less weight, more fuel could be carried - greater safety margin. (She was the rare woman with a very light travel bag! A huge fan of silk next to her skin for its warmth and comfort. And strength. A knapsack of the stuff saved her life once - parachute.) For us it was a space issue. A good sailing 34 footer is a very small space to stuff 4 men, a real life raft, spare sails and enough water and fuel. (We rationed both very carefully. Did almost no cleaning with fresh water. Ran the engine only to power away from Newfundland into the tradewinds and to charge the batteries.

Much like Earhart, we had minimal electronics, no GPS, no satellite communications, no radar. We had Loran which didn't work on the Irish coast, a radio-direction finder, a sextant. If we got into difficulty it was highly unlikely we would would be able to talk to anyone except via ham radio until they were basically within eyesight so help might well be days away. (Neither the one ship nor one plane we saw could be raised on the standard frequencies.)

Those 12 days were spent in an entirely different reality.
Old 11-21-21, 12:23 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
and boy, always think of how those folks set off in ye ol sailing ships with limited food and fresh water, and not really knowing what lay past X point on the map....
Old 11-21-21, 01:05 PM
gauvins

Those 12 days were spent in an entirely different reality.
Super fast passage! Are you a racer?

Took us 35 days IIRC, from Tadoussac to Brest, making headway from one depression to the next. Engine off by policy - we relied on a wind generator for electricity, saving fuel in case of emergency. Still vivid recollections of Newfoundland (icebergs; a boat laying a transat cable forcing us to zig-zag). And of the relief felt leaving the Labrador current for the Gulfstream.
Old 11-21-21, 01:37 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
I've never had luck with synthetics and even prefer to just use cotton over synthetic. I've got some wool and find it works well, but often save the little I have for use in colder weather if expected and half use t-shirts. Synthetics don't show sweat as much as wool, that's true, but I can toss my wool shirt on the next day and if I left it to hang over night it will barely smell if at all. The cotton and synthetic will still stink the next day but the cotton is tolerable to toss in my bag till I can clean it, the synthetic stinks out everything.
Old 11-21-21, 02:39 PM
RollingExist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
My experience as well. I've switched to capilene (Patagonia) Ts.
Yep, I didn't mention it but I've done the same. I am blessed to have very low body odor, and I find that my capilene top can go weeks without smelling. On the other hand, merino basically never smells at all for me, no matter how long I use it without washing, so merino does still win in that regard. Not worth the degradation factor though.

I think there's a lot to be said about the specific synthetic that is being used. Cheaper stuff that doesn't have anti-smell magic happening can be awful. Ex officio boxers on the other hand, I can wear for a week straight before they start to smell.
Old 11-21-21, 03:14 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by HendersonD
I have done a lot of backpacking over the years and have used merino wool short and long sleeve shirts. I did my first bike tour, a 420 mile 8 day trip through NY, PA, and NJ and used synthetic biking shirts each day. In May I plan on crossing the country from east to west on the Transamerica bike route starting in VA. Trying to decide what type of shirts to bring with me. Both types of shirts are lightweight and comfortable but have differences
Merino wool
Advantage - keeps away the stink longer than synthetics
Disadvantage - when sweating it really shows with wet areas being a different color than dry areas. This is more so for light colors and less so for black shirts. When backpacking it makes little difference since you are in the woods. When biking and stopping at restaurants and grocery stores, not so good. One way to mitigate this is when arriving at a store or restaurant during the ride is to trade shirts before going in
Synthetics
Advantage - does not really show sweat as much as merino wool. Has pockets
Disadvantage - tends to stink more than merino wool

Any thoughts? What do you tend to wear when touring?
Merino is nice for cooler weather.

On hotter days i prefer synthetics like Patagonia or Kathmandu that have polygiene, which is a silver thread weaved into the fabric that is anti bacterial and keeps it less stinky, similar to merino
Old 11-21-21, 03:24 PM
djb

Originally Posted by RollingExist
Yep, I didn't mention it but I've done the same. I am blessed to have very low body odor, and I find that my capilene top can go weeks without smelling. On the other hand, merino basically never smells at all for me, no matter how long I use it without washing, so merino does still win in that regard. Not worth the degradation factor though.

I think there's a lot to be said about the specific synthetic that is being used. Cheaper stuff that doesn't have anti-smell magic happening can be awful. Ex officio boxers on the other hand, I can wear for a week straight before they start to smell.
It is curious how diff materials can be different for odour, although as you say, it does depend on the person also.
In general, I find the wool stuff I own and wear regularly really doesnt smell bad, although I dont go for ages before washing them, but I still am impressed overall in this regard.
Old 11-21-21, 04:15 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Good quality Merino wool clothing will keep you warmer when wet than will most synthetic clothing. With any wool clothing be very careful not to use detergents or soaps that will strip out the natural oils that make the wool so good.

Cheers
Old 11-22-21, 09:14 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
I know the orthodox view is that wool stays warmer when wet than synthetics, but that's not my experience. The coldest I've ever been was a 200k ride when I wore a wool base layer with a heavy wool jersey on top. After sweating through mid-day, I was hypothermic in the evening. Similar rides with a polypro top? Gee, it's cooled off tonight, what's for supper?

So my personal preference is to take a Merino base layer -- after all, they're comfortable -- but good synthetics on top for warmth during and after a long ride.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-22-21, 09:45 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,212 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by HendersonD
I have done a lot of backpacking over the years and have used merino wool short and long sleeve shirts. I did my first bike tour, a 420 mile 8 day trip through NY, PA, and NJ and used synthetic biking shirts each day. In May I plan on crossing the country from east to west on the Transamerica bike route starting in VA. Trying to decide what type of shirts to bring with me. Both types of shirts are lightweight and comfortable but have differences
Merino wool
Advantage - keeps away the stink longer than synthetics
Disadvantage - when sweating it really shows with wet areas being a different color than dry areas. This is more so for light colors and less so for black shirts. When backpacking it makes little difference since you are in the woods. When biking and stopping at restaurants and grocery stores, not so good. One way to mitigate this is when arriving at a store or restaurant during the ride is to trade shirts before going in
Synthetics
Advantage - does not really show sweat as much as merino wool. Has pockets
Disadvantage - tends to stink more than merino wool

Any thoughts? What do you tend to wear when touring?
I don’t know what synthetic jerseys you are using but I have many jerseys that date back to the 90s. None of them have any odor now nor have they ever had an odor. I don’t wear the same clothing day after day, however. I carry 3 to 4 changes of clothes and do laundry every 3 or 4 days. I also use the laundry at a commercial campground or laundry in a hotel or even stop in a laundromat. Machine wash, machine dry, fold, and I’m out the door on down the road.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-22-21, 09:51 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I don’t know what synthetic jerseys you are using but I have many jerseys that date back to the 90s. None of them have any odor now nor have they ever had an odor. I don’t wear the same clothing day after day, however. I carry 3 to 4 changes of clothes and do laundry every 3 or 4 days. I also use the laundry at a commercial campground or laundry in a hotel or even stop in a laundromat. Machine wash, machine dry, fold, and I’m out the door on down the road.
Every single synthetic shirt or jersey that I have owned since the early 80's gets stinky, much more so than other materials.

https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128...rmanently=true
Old 11-22-21, 10:39 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,212 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Every single synthetic shirt or jersey that I have owned since the early 80's gets stinky, much more so than other materials.
Too many years of working with pyrolysis oil has certainly reduced my olfactory sense, however my wife has a very good nose and has never complained. Perhaps she is just being polite but that is certainly out of character for her.

How are you laundering your bicycle clothes? I machine wash always. I have for decades with regular laundry detergent. I don’t use fabric softener, however. I also machine dry.

While interesting, I see a very large problem with this “study”. The selection of “assessors” selects only for sensitive people. That makes the study subjective. A more random assessment should have been done either in place of the study or in tandem with the study. Looking at the data generated, there is also a whole lot of overlap in the responses. If the variance extends past the average (or in this case the median) response, the results are less than conclusive.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 11-22-21 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-22-21, 10:41 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Too many years of working with pyrolysis oil has certainly reduced my olfactory sense, however my wife has a very good nose and has never complained. Perhaps she is just being polite but that is certainly out of character for her.

While interesting, I see a very large problem with this “study”. The selection of “assessors” selects only for sensitive people. That makes the study subjective. A more random assessment should have been done either in place of the study or in tandem with the study. Looking at the data generated, there is also a whole lot of overlap in the responses. If the variance extends past the average (or in this case the median) response, the results are less than conclusive.
Ok. You win. As usual.
Old 11-22-21, 03:18 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62

https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128...rmanently=true
I didn't thoroughly study the link, but at a glance it appears to miss a few things that would be relevent to our interests. First, most tech garments are not 100% polyester and may not be polyester at all. And second, tech garments often have various inhibiters to stop microbial growth, These may include silver, possibly in the form of nano particles. Another ingredient sometimes used is volcanic ash.

The very worst smelling tech garments were the first polypro ones. Things have improved since then.

Btw, the shirts and sweaters I tend to use on tours these days tend to not be cycling specific. Most are running or sometimes hiking stuff, but some warmer layers are kayaking gear. I think a lot of it is nylon or a nylon blend. I have worn bike jerseys on tour in the past but have mostly stopped.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 11-22-21, 06:54 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Yes, early synthetic gear did get stinky. I've long since sent all that to Goodwill. I don't notice that with any quality synthetic gear now. I don't buy cheap stuff, it's not worth it. Any new brand name gear you buy now will be fine. I got rid of all my cotton gear after my wife and I had a close call on a backpack 40 years ago. I got rid of all my wool gear after a cold and rainy sailing trip. The only wool thing I have is socks - I still wear wool socks, but if I could find anything that dried faster and kept me warm, I'd sure try it. That's the problem with wool - it absorbs water like crazy and takes forever to dry. Not as bad as cotton, but not as good as modern synthetic.

I don't need some silly study to tell me what to do. I do what I've learned from 70 years of outdoor activity, which seems to be what the pros are doing, too. I started out delivering papers in Alaska on foot. Coldest I went out in was -65°F. Now the coldest I get is riding long distances in below 40° pouring rain. Any cold in the dry is so much easier to deal with. I have a few garments which work and have given away a lot which didn't.
Old 11-22-21, 07:21 PM
GhostRider62

I took a Patagonia Capilene tee on a backpacking trip and it stunk to high hell in a day whereas my LS yak fiber shirt was fine after a full week in it, day and night. All of my synthetic cycling jerseys need washes after every ride and they stink. Not all wool absorbs. I rarely wash my merino wool cycling jerseys, perhaps every 10-15 rides. I almost never wash the alpaca or yak.
Old 11-24-21, 05:07 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Riding from Buffalo to PGH, then the GAP/C&O to DC in Sept. I wore a Carhart tee shirt, 100% cotton. I washed it when I showered, and dried it in the afternoons. At night, I wore a 100% Arcterix (?sp) long sleeved shirt, as pajamas. It is impregnated with something to inhibit bacterial growth, it dried really fast. For chilly mornings, I had a nice wool shirt, and a very light, thin wind shirt from Patagonia that probably cost about a buck a gram, but it makes the shirt warmer, and is great for the first hour in the morning to stop the wind of passage until the day and rider warm up.
Old 11-24-21, 06:46 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I've never had luck with synthetics and even prefer to just use cotton over synthetic. I've got some wool and find it works well, but often save the little I have for use in colder weather if expected and half use t-shirts. Synthetics don't show sweat as much as wool, that's true, but I can toss my wool shirt on the next day and if I left it to hang over night it will barely smell if at all. The cotton and synthetic will still stink the next day but the cotton is tolerable to toss in my bag till I can clean it, the synthetic stinks out everything.
I found that cotton is okay in hot dry climates but where it's humid it takes forever for cotton to dry and it feels cold in t he meantime if it's a all cool out.

Cheers
Old 11-25-21, 07:48 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I have never taken any cotton on tour. I used to use a cotton tee for ww kayaking (pretty much wet all the time, never dry) in hot weather. The drill went like this. When it was really hot wear the cotton tee for cooling. If you got chilly take it off and go bare skin. If chilly with bare skin, put on a light wind shell. If chilly with the shell put on a thin insulation layer under the shell and adjust with opening and closing zippers as needed. Cooler/cold weather was a different challenge.
Old 11-25-21, 08:40 AM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Has anyone compared the weight of wool vs synthetics for equivalent insulating effect? Weight weenies want to know.
Old 11-25-21, 07:53 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I found that cotton is okay in hot dry climates but where it's humid it takes forever for cotton to dry and it feels cold in t he meantime if it's a all cool out.

Cheers
I know a guy that when it is really hot dry weather, he wears a white cotton long sleeve shirt, the type of shirt you would usually see someone wearing with a tie. I recall thinking that it was a pretty good idea when I was following him when I took the photo. The white did not absorb much heat from the sun.

But the only cotton I bring is bandanas.

Old 11-25-21, 08:13 PM
djb

Tmsn, I love that photo. Gotta get psyched up for that 15%climb, it's only 50kms away!

I once bought a white dress shirt like that at a second hand store, to wear at the beach, way back in the summer camping days with the kids.
Kept it thinking I might use it riding in conditions like this guy, but never got around to trying it riding. I should one of these days.
Old 11-25-21, 10:30 PM
gauvins

Originally Posted by Pratt
Has anyone compared the weight of wool vs synthetics for equivalent insulating effect? Weight weenies want to know.
Probably impossible to answer definitively as the fiber is but one aspect. How it is woven is probably more important.

According to this entry, polyester beats merino on all metrics, as a mid layer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.