Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

26" x 3.8" tyre

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

26" x 3.8" tyre

Old 11-20-21, 11:13 AM
Southside Johny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
26" x 3.8" tyre

Hi I have a 2015 Trek Farley 8 but have recently had trouble getting replacement tyres for it. On the Trek/Bontrager USA and UK sites it looks like the only fatbike tyres they are now offering are 27.5".

Unfortunately the limitations of the Farley 8 frame mean that it only just accepts a maximum of a 3.8" tyre on the rear.

Does anybody know any alternative 26x3.8 tubless tyres available, either in the UK or importing?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-20-21, 02:59 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Surly Nate comes in 26x3.8", tubeless:

https://surlybikes.com/parts/nate

Don't know about availability where you are.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 11-21-21, 11:17 AM
Southside Johny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, that's a good suggestion - I'll take a look for it.
Old 11-21-21, 08:25 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
There may be tires listed as 4.0 that will still fit.. My 3.8 Nates are the same size as my 4.0 Van Helgas.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-21-21, 11:28 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 340 Posts
I found some Surly Knards, but it was old stock.
Be warned, do not get CBT. They resist punctures like tissue paper.
Old 11-22-21, 12:53 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I found some Surly Knards, but it was old stock.
Did you buy them or just find them online in an obscure vendor? I'd love to find a set of these...they look like great XC/hardpack tires.
Old 11-22-21, 01:02 PM
MarcusT

I am really impressed with the tires. I found them in Europe, where Surly is a slow moving product. I suggest just googling the tire and click on every vendor, maybe Ebay
Unfortunately, 26" tires are dying all over.
Good luck
Old 11-23-21, 06:25 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Thanks. I think they made the Knards in this size for just a short while, but then discontinued them.
Old 11-23-21, 11:07 PM
MarcusT

Bontrager Gnarwhal Fat Bike Tire. It is expensive and a studable tire, but I found a few vendors.
https://www.freewheelbike.com/produc...h-242725-1.htm
Old 11-30-21, 11:38 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Bontrager Gnarwhal Fat Bike Tire. It is expensive and a studable tire, but I found a few vendors.
https://www.freewheelbike.com/produc...h-242725-1.htm
Freewheel is a LBS for me, good folks and they are into fatbikes!
Old 11-30-21, 11:46 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by Southside Johny
Hi I have a 2015 Trek Farley 8 but have recently had trouble getting replacement tyres for it. On the Trek/Bontrager USA and UK sites it looks like the only fatbike tyres they are now offering are 27.5".

Unfortunately the limitations of the Farley 8 frame mean that it only just accepts a maximum of a 3.8" tyre on the rear.

Does anybody know any alternative 26x3.8 tubless tyres available, either in the UK or importing?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I'm on a 2015 Pugsley with the same tire clearance issues as you.

Are you riding any snow/ice or mostly dirt/mud?

Either way, I can share that fat tires are hard to find. I need to replace my summer tires, I ordered some new Fat B Nimble tires back in August, still waiting but at this point I won't need them until April around here. I love the Fat B Nimble tires for summer riding on packed dirt and gravel ... but they can not handle snow/ice. For winter riding, I'm all about the 45NRTH Dillinger4.
Old 07-27-22, 02:30 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I'm on a 2015 Pugsley with the same tire clearance issues as you.

Are you riding any snow/ice or mostly dirt/mud?

Either way, I can share that fat tires are hard to find. I need to replace my summer tires, I ordered some new Fat B Nimble tires back in August, still waiting but at this point I won't need them until April around here. I love the Fat B Nimble tires for summer riding on packed dirt and gravel ... but they can not handle snow/ice. For winter riding, I'm all about the 45NRTH Dillinger4.
Tire availability is increasingly a problem with my Pugsley. During the meteoric rise-and-fall of the fatbike fad, standards and sizes were subjected to forced obsolescence in very short time periods (tire sizes, bottom brackets, hub sizes, etc., etc.) and now honestly it looks like the entire trend is dying.

By the way, I live in the Twin Cities, and I will NEVER spend another dollar at Freewheel. Years ago I took my Alfine hub bike in to get a warranty replacement on the core; it had a defective roller clutch (a known problem.) They said they would do that, and then proceeded to service the core and charge me $120 for doing so. I told them that I asked them to send it to Shimano USA for warranty replacement, not service it. They basically said "tough, it works fine now" and effectively told me I wasn't getting my bike back unless I paid them.

0.5 miles later, the roller clutch was slipping again. It was certainly not fine.

I hate that place. Never again. The failed to fix my bike, and essentially held it hostage. If only they knew how much I've spent online since then just to avoid setting foot in any of their locations.
Old 07-27-22, 02:48 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Banzai
Tire availability is increasingly a problem with my Pugsley. During the meteoric rise-and-fall of the fatbike fad, standards and sizes were subjected to forced obsolescence in very short time periods (tire sizes, bottom brackets, hub sizes, etc., etc.) and now honestly it looks like the entire trend is dying.

By the way, I live in the Twin Cities, and I will NEVER spend another dollar at Freewheel. Years ago I took my Alfine hub bike in to get a warranty replacement on the core; it had a defective roller clutch (a known problem.) They said they would do that, and then proceeded to service the core and charge me $120 for doing so. I told them that I asked them to send it to Shimano USA for warranty replacement, not service it. They basically said "tough, it works fine now" and effectively told me I wasn't getting my bike back unless I paid them.

0.5 miles later, the roller clutch was slipping again. It was certainly not fine.

I hate that place. Never again. The failed to fix my bike, and essentially held it hostage. If only they knew how much I've spent online since then just to avoid setting foot in any of their locations.
I've found the same issues mostly on tires, I'm happy my current set of tires are holding up, and fingers crossed that stock will come back before I need them.

And ... sorry to hear about Freewheel. I've only worked with them on small projects, never really loved them. I'm super happy to have Tonka Cycle so close I can walk over if I really mess up my bike repairs. The crew at Tonka treats me like a pro. I had an issue with the head tube creaking/popping on a bike I bought somewhere else, they put my bike right on the stand, cleaned and lubed the headset while I waited, and everything's been great since. Best part, they didn't charge me a thing!
Old 07-27-22, 03:43 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I've found the same issues mostly on tires, I'm happy my current set of tires are holding up, and fingers crossed that stock will come back before I need them.

And ... sorry to hear about Freewheel. I've only worked with them on small projects, never really loved them. I'm super happy to have Tonka Cycle so close I can walk over if I really mess up my bike repairs. The crew at Tonka treats me like a pro. I had an issue with the head tube creaking/popping on a bike I bought somewhere else, they put my bike right on the stand, cleaned and lubed the headset while I waited, and everything's been great since. Best part, they didn't charge me a thing!
I, too, wonder/worry about future parts availability. Doesn’t seem like too long ago when particular parts may change, but standards were such that you could always find something else compatible down the road.

Sorry for the Freewheel rant. It’s like a reflex for me every time someone recommends them. “…let me tell you about why they’re the worst and how they held my bike hostage for unrequested labor…”
Old 07-28-22, 06:46 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Banzai
I, too, wonder/worry about future parts availability. Doesn’t seem like too long ago when particular parts may change, but standards were such that you could always find something else compatible down the road.

Sorry for the Freewheel rant. It’s like a reflex for me every time someone recommends them. “…let me tell you about why they’re the worst and how they held my bike hostage for unrequested labor…”
Don't tell Frau Toad, but her lightly used Pugsley is never getting sold, those parts are too valuable for my rig!