Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I thought of you folks when I saw this commercial (Video)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

I thought of you folks when I saw this commercial (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-21, 08:08 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
I assumed it was the novelty of the use of the turn signal... that hit me too when I watched it, lol.
Exactly! 1 in 10 motorists where I live signal their moves, if that many. A couple weeks ago I ran a short errand in my car and EVERYBODY i encountered used their indicator. About 6 motorists total. I though to myself "So THAT'S what it would be like if everyone signaled!" I mean, it was so unusual that I noticed it and loved mankind for about an hour. Oh, our potential!!
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 12-04-21, 11:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
If you did all that stuff (i.e.: pay attention to the road) you probably didn't need the system to begin with.

The concept of totally autonomous vehicles, in my humble (and professional) opinion, will only work when all vehicles on the road are autonomous. Expand the technology so that each vehicle broadcasts it's speed, direction, intended movement, etc to all the vehicles in the immediate area, so that they will all work together proactively to avoid a situation rather than reactively to one which occurs.

Think of it this way. A vehicle is on a highway entrance ramp. It broadcasts to cars on the highway that it is going to merge into traffic. It receives signals of speed and distance, and make the appropriate adjustments. At the same time, the vehicles on the highway are adjusting to allow a smooth, seamless merge. Current technology means the car on the highway with current automatic braking, side collision avoidance and lane change doesn't realize some idiot is coming up the ramp and is going to 'merge' going 25 MPH slower than traffic. It 'sees' the car as it enters the traffic lane, and immediately has to decide if it should slam on the brakes (whoops, car behind is controlled by a human, who is texting) or swing into the left lane (hopefully there's some room.)

Don't get me wrong. My wife's car has all the bells and whistles currently available, and they have helped her in some situations. However, an inattentive driver at a traffic circle recently took out her LF fender, even though she and her car did everything possible to avoid the collision.

I'm extremely skeptical about the viability of totally autonomous vehicles as well. This ain't that and doesn't purport to be. I don't get the point of criticism of this system for not being able to do things it isn't designed to do.

The op in this thread is not a good example for illustration of the issues you're raising. There's a fair amount of real experimentation with ai vehicles in mixed traffic situations, maybe start a thread built around those?

OP had no intention of starting a real discussion and I don't think we should play along with the blatant trolling.
Old 12-04-21, 02:48 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Well, it's true that some of this would probably be better suited to the existing thread on autonomous vehicles and where they're headed. It's just that they happened to come up here.
Old 12-04-21, 03:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Well, it's true that some of this would probably be better suited to the existing thread on autonomous vehicles and where they're headed. It's just that they happened to come up here.

And the discussion in this thread is bumping the sarcastic anti-cycling OP again and again. Please bump the old thread or start a new one. if you want to discuss AI.
Old 12-04-21, 04:55 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
I feel that people interested in cycling safety, especially rural cyclists, should be aware of everything going on with motor vehicles. I mean, that commercial created so many questions for me. Like what would the car do if a cyclist was moving opposite direction on that pass. Would the truck see that? Or what if the semi had to pass some cyclists on the fog line to the right. Would the GM anticipate the cyclists as the semi eased over?
Old 12-04-21, 05:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I feel that people interested in cycling safety, especially rural cyclists, should be aware of everything going on with motor vehicles. I mean, that commercial created so many questions for me. Like what would the car do if a cyclist was moving opposite direction on that pass. Would the truck see that? Or what if the semi had to pass some cyclists on the fog line to the right. Would the GM anticipate the cyclists as the semi eased over?

BS. This system can only operate on restricted access roads. There aren't any cyclists there.
Old 12-06-21, 01:38 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
& that kind of technology has worked out so well for Tesla ...
Tesla didn't design this.
Old 12-06-21, 06:03 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Tesla didn't design this.
haha that's one plus!