Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Wrote to my Newspaper for the First Time

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-22, 09:11 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts

I was reading an article in the Star Tribune (Minneapolis, MN), and I noticed that the author had chosen the words poorly for the article about a pedestrian that was killed. I remember hearing that there were new media guidelines for journalists who reported on road collisions, including those involving cyclists. Here is an article about the guidelines from Forbes.

The article in the Star Tribune talked about how an “SUV hits and kills girl, 6…” This frustrated me. It wasn’t the car that hit and killed her, it was the driver. This is what I fear every day commuting by bike. I actually wrote to the paper to suggest they educate their staff about these guidelines. I hope it helps educate the public going forward. This was a tragic death, and the words chosen to report it matters.
Likes For Alligator:
Old 01-18-22, 11:09 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
The new guidelines you refer to are for the U.K.
Old 01-18-22, 11:11 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Well she was hit by the SUV not the driver. SUV was controlled by the driver just like if someone gets hit by a baseball at a game should they say the batter hit them?
Old 01-19-22, 03:46 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
Well she was hit by the SUV not the driver. SUV was controlled by the driver just like if someone gets hit by a baseball at a game should they say the batter hit them?
The batter at a baseball game has zero control over the ball once he hits it. The driver of a vehicle is expected to be in control of his/her vehicle at all times.

I was hit - by a car controlled by a driver - while cycling a few years back. I sued the driver, not the car. I won.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-19-22, 05:42 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
if society as well as the laws are unwilling or unable to understand the intended use of those words published...... that's just sad. ugh
Old 01-19-22, 09:17 AM
JohnFord

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
n any case, I share your outrage about this. Journalists are the people whose articles give us first-hand information. Therefore, it is important that everything is written correctly and without unnecessary exaggeration. I found and read the full info about the importance of developing critical thinking in journalists. The peculiarities of the profession are to correctly weigh the information and impartially convey the facts. Which, unfortunately, not everyone can do. As we can see, this error with the truck caused a lot of dissonances.

Last edited by JohnFord; 01-21-22 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-19-22, 10:13 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
If someone is shot, we say that X person shot the victim. We don't say the victim was shot by a gun sans an agent. In a baseball game we expect baseballs to fly into the stands, but we don't expect to get shot or hit by cars.

Reverse the outcome to something positive. If something good happens, do we remove the actor/agent from the action? No, of course not.
Old 01-19-22, 10:27 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
There are many times where stories like this don't even mention any driver. It's all about the victim and the car.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 01-19-22, 11:29 AM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
The batter at a baseball game has zero control over the ball once he hits it. The driver of a vehicle is expected to be in control of his/her vehicle at all times.

I was hit - by a car controlled by a driver - while cycling a few years back. I sued the driver, not the car. I won.

If the story started out saying girl hit by driver and killed it would be stating he punched her. As I said she was hit by the car not the driver.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 01-19-22, 12:26 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The to be accurate the piece should say---------------------an SUV driven by X hit a pedestrian. Or a driver (his name) driving in his SUV hit a pedestrian, or a cyclist.

Last edited by rydabent; 01-23-22 at 10:44 AM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-19-22, 12:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I really don't worry much about getting hit by a driver--I'll probably just hit him back. I worry a lot more about getting hit by the SUV.

These word games are stupid and beside the point.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-19-22, 12:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by JW Fas
If someone is shot, we say that X person shot the victim. We don't say the victim was shot by a gun sans an agent. In a baseball game we expect baseballs to fly into the stands, but we don't expect to get shot or hit by cars.

Reverse the outcome to something positive. If something good happens, do we remove the actor/agent from the action? No, of course not.

Nonsense. It's often the case that we don't know who the shooter or the driver are (hit and run).

You really think "Bill was shot to death in a bar fight" is an unusual construction?

Every time this stuff comes up, someone claims something silly like "we don't call plane crashes accidents", which is literally what the NTSB calls them. Basically, the rhetorical trick is apparently to assert a construction that people use all of the time in other contexts is never used in other contexts.

And to your last point "Waitress receives $4000 tip" is a kind of headline I see a fair amount of.
Old 01-19-22, 12:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Daniel4
There are many times where stories like this don't even mention any driver. It's all about the victim and the car.

I don't believe you. Link to some examples, should be easy if it's common. The story may say something like "the driver did not stop and is unidentified" or "police have not yet named the driver", but those are accurate statements and won't count.
Old 01-19-22, 12:59 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by rydabent
The to be accurate the piece should say---------------------an SUV driven by X hit a pedestrian.
Something like this?
The state patrol identified the driver as Anne Marie Reynolds, 48, of nearby Garrison.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-19-22, 02:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Something like this?

I guess the problem is people can't fit enough words into the headline to satisfy everyone.
Old 01-19-22, 06:01 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I don't know. Reading that story, there is a lot more to be upset about, than the words the author chose for the headline and opening sentence. They may not even have written the headline! The story may have been edited after submission to fit CONVENTIONS of efficiency. Completely missed in the o.p. are the tragic circumstances surrounding the incident that will likely exonerate the driver. What's going on?

This isn't even cycling related. Are things so slow that we have to drag in pedestrians and abandoned children as grist for the 'drivers are horrible' screed? Relevant story here: A colleague came up to me as I was wheeling my bike out one day. They told me how very concerned they were for my safety on my bike. They related how a friend of theirs, convinced that they were being run down by a mad cager bent on killing them, threw themselves off their bike, at speed, into the ditch, and they are now paralyzed. That's what 'fear' does. The o.p.'s 'fear' is more of a danger to them than any amount of bad drivers can be.

I didn't have the heart to tell my colleague that chances are huge that their friend needlessly destroyed their formerly good health through irrational fear, and that a cyclist that follows good visibility and road safety practices has little to 'fear' when out and about. Yeah, spit sometimes happens, but that story wasn't the best example of a driver that needed to be dragged into the spotlight.
Old 01-19-22, 09:57 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Good on you, @Alligator, for doing something instead of just coming here to complain. The writer may not have chosen the headline; it's usually up to the editor, but at least he used "crash" instead of "accident".

It's definitely tragic. A small child on a dark highway at 10:45 at night in January begs a lot of questions. For once, I feel sorry for the driver. That's gotta be rough.
Old 01-19-22, 10:49 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I guess the problem is people can't fit enough words into the headline to satisfy everyone.
uh, oh. Can this thread be saved?

There's always the same handful of people with the same predictable responses poo-pooing every thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/1234691-useless-forum-can-saved.html

Last edited by Daniel4; 01-19-22 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-20-22, 05:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Daniel4
uh, oh. Can this thread be saved?

There's always the same handful of people with the same predictable responses poo-pooing every thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...can-saved.html
Saved from what exactly? Yes, I think obsessing on sentence construction and word choice is an idiotic advocacy strategy. This thread, which is about a story that absolutely nothing to do with cycling is completely about the absurd proposition that you shouldn't notice that it's being struck by the vehicle that kills you, not being hit by the driver.

So are you admitting you can't find articles where there's no mention of a driver? It wouldn't be the first time you got indignant after saying something you couldn't support.

Of course there's debate here, you have a problem with that?

BTW, speaking of predictable poo-poo responses, this is probably the tenth time you've trotted out that insipid "can this thread be saved" line.

​​​​​

Last edited by livedarklions; 01-20-22 at 05:59 AM.
Old 01-22-22, 02:51 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator
I was reading an article in the Star Tribune (Minneapolis, MN), and I noticed that the author had chosen the words poorly for the article about a pedestrian that was killed. I remember hearing that there were new media guidelines for journalists who reported on road collisions, including those involving cyclists. Here is an article about the guidelines from Forbes.

The article in the Star Tribune talked about how an “SUV hits and kills girl, 6…” This frustrated me. It wasn’t the car that hit and killed her, it was the driver. This is what I fear every day commuting by bike. I actually wrote to the paper to suggest they educate their staff about these guidelines. I hope it helps educate the public going forward. This was a tragic death, and the words chosen to report it matters.
Wicked awesome that you've written to a newspaper. Please, don't let this thread derail you from doing so again and again in the future. (I'm guessing many of the people in this thread have NEVER written to a newspaper.)

-mr. bill
Old 01-22-22, 03:09 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Wicked awesome that you've written to a newspaper. Please, don't let this thread derail you from doing so again and again in the future. (I'm guessing many of the people in this thread have NEVER written to a newspaper.)
Personally, I've never felt the need to write to a U.S. newspaper to advise them of U.K. guidelines, which is what the OP did.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-31-22, 02:33 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Personally, I've never felt the need to write to a U.S. newspaper to advise them of U.K. guidelines, which is what the OP did.
This.
I agree with the overall sentiment of OP but maybe he should first educate himself on jurisdiction before linking articles and writing letters
Old 01-31-22, 04:15 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I'm perfectly fine with the headline as written. My brain subconsciously discounts the VERY slim possibility that the SUV was perhaps just rolling along unattended.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 02-01-22, 07:29 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
This.
I agree with the overall sentiment of OP but maybe he should first educate himself on jurisdiction before linking articles and writing letters
Maybe you two should write to the Minneapolis Tribune to correct the egregious "error" by the OP?

Or maybe, just maybe, a more helpful suggestion to the OP could have referred to the Minneapolis Tribune iteself?

(FWIW, the AP has since revised their style guide to prefer crash or collision, not accident, whenever the facts of the incident are still being investigated. And last I checked, the Associated Press is an American non-profit news agency.)

Which is why the article refers to "crash" because of "...the continuing investigation of the incident."

(Opinion, it will take another decade before the AP revises the style guide to stop giving sentience to inanimate objects.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-01-22 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-01-22, 08:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mr_bill

(Opinion, it will take another decade before the AP revises the style guide to stop giving sentience to inanimate objects.)

-mr. bill
Stating that one object hit another doesn't imply any sentience on the part of the hitting object, only motion. You can get hit by a falling rock, a stray bullet, a meteorite, or a bolt of lightning (we more commonly use "struck" for that but it's a synonym, and "hit by lightning" is also used). Of that list, only the stray bullet necessarily implies any human agency.

"Driver hits" is too ambiguous as "driver" is a job title and, as I've said above, if I have to choose, I'd rather be hit by a human being than an SUV.

I think the objections to the word "accident" are completely bogus, but obviously, the AP has decided it's easier to just avoid its use. That will be the trend, and in five years, we'll see people come up with some reason "crash" and "collision" should be avoided.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.