Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

26" Long Haul Trucker on gravel

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-19, 10:46 AM
kidadam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

Any opinions on the Surly LHT on extended gravel roads (service, fire, backcountry). I maybe picked one up tomorrow at a great discount (2016 26inch wheel)

Currently looking at not much more than 100 plus kms of gravel section but would like to do more.
Old 03-17-19, 10:59 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Tires are what its about for gravel. Or at least they are real important you can find whatever you need in 559.
Old 03-17-19, 11:47 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Can you fit 2" tires ? Or wider?
Old 03-17-19, 12:12 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
There is gravel and there is gravel. Some of the gravel trails near my home, I want to use the widest mountain bike tire that I can fit on the bike, but some of the gravel trails that have well maintained packed gravel are easily done with a road tire that has some tread on it.
Old 03-17-19, 01:07 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by kidadam
Any opinions on the Surly LHT on extended gravel roads (service, fire, backcountry). I maybe picked one up tomorrow at a great discount (2016 26inch wheel)

Currently looking at not much more than 100 plus kms of gravel section but would like to do more.
it depends

like as been said, there is gravel and there is gravel. There is bike weight to take into consideration, as well as rider experience and bike handling skills.

and according to surly themselves.....

https://surlybikes.com/blog/post/tir...ur_surly_frame

but yes, folks have been riding lht's over all kinds of gravel successfully, but yes also, it depends.
Old 03-17-19, 01:50 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
The LHT is an amazing world touring bike designed to handle a wide range of roads with a full load and to be comfortable and stable doing it. Like most dedicated touring bikes it excels at this but if you are not carrying a load there are bikes that are more fun to ride, even on gravel. If you like Surly, I have a Surly Crosscheck that is great on gravel, and can still be used for touring but is, in my opinion, more fun to ride. My friend says the same about his Surly Straggler.

I know people who have literally circled the globe on LHT's and it was the best bike for it. It may be the right bike for you if you are going to be loaded up for most of your riding. If not, there are so many other bikes out there that are fun to ride long distances on gravel.

Before making your decision, I would ride the LHT and try a few others as well to be sure you are getting the right bike for you.
Old 03-17-19, 04:39 PM
kidadam

Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
The LHT is an amazing world touring bike designed to handle a wide range of roads with a full load and to be comfortable and stable doing it. Like most dedicated touring bikes it excels at this but if you are not carrying a load there are bikes that are more fun to ride, even on gravel. If you like Surly, I have a Surly Crosscheck that is great on gravel, and can still be used for touring but is, in my opinion, more fun to ride. My friend says the same about his Surly Straggler.

I know people who have literally circled the globe on LHT's and it was the best bike for it. It may be the right bike for you if you are going to be loaded up for most of your riding. If not, there are so many other bikes out there that are fun to ride long distances on gravel.

Before making your decision, I would ride the LHT and try a few others as well to be sure you are getting the right bike for you.
I did take it for a ride yesterday and thought it was really comfy (I have brooks saddle on hanging on the wall waiting for it). having heard and read that its a bit of a bore I was surprised how responsive it was. The 52 frame fits like a glove, normally I ride 54. I enjoyed the lax 26.

I have cabin in among small mountains in Cape Breton with 100s of kms of roads and trails, there could be be better suited bikes but I also want to tour and its a deep discount (2000 CAD on for $1250).

Current bikes are Marinoni Special, Cannondale CAADX commuter setup, Raleigh Safari (winter beater).
Old 03-17-19, 05:14 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I loved my LHT, but my Troll is superior in every way (on gravel). I'm running Schwalbe Marathons right now, but I had a bike with Scwalbe 365GTs and those tires were da baows.
Old 03-17-19, 05:25 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
there could be be better suited bikes but I also want to tour and its a deep discount (2000 CAD on for $1250).

Current bikes are Marinoni Special, Cannondale CAADX commuter setup, Raleigh Safari (winter beater).
Good Price! I see you also have a Marinoni. I have one O just need to overhaul for spring (still snow here)
Old 03-17-19, 05:32 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Put 2 inch tires on it and you're good to go on pavement or gravel.
I rode mine across the US--> mostly pavement & some gravel.
Also rode to the top of Alaska (Dead Horse,AK)--> lotsa gravel and pavement too.

I was running 26x2.0" Schwalbe Marathon XRs

Last edited by BigAura; 03-17-19 at 08:44 PM.
Likes For BigAura:
Old 03-17-19, 07:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Not all gravel is the same..

Gravel ,in the building trades, at least, has specifications ... 1/4 minus is small stones ... about 1/4" & less ..

Mud consistency types gets different names in cyclocross and snow in skiing ..

Enjoy the ride past the ends of the paved world...

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-22-19 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-17-19, 08:23 PM
djb

I did take it for a ride yesterday and thought it was really comfy (I have brooks saddle on hanging on the wall waiting for it). having heard and read that its a bit of a bore I was surprised how responsive it was. The 52 frame fits like a glove, normally I ride 54. I enjoyed the lax 26.

I have cabin in among small mountains in Cape Breton with 100s of kms of roads and trails, there could be be better suited bikes but I also want to tour and its a deep discount (2000 CAD on for $1250).

As another Canadian , that's worth getting. I have read that the 26 wheeled one is livelier than the 700 one,
Added bonus is lower gearing, more room for fenders and less toe overlap.

Good luck in your decision
Old 03-17-19, 09:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Gravel ,in the building trades, at least, has specifications ... 1/4 minus is small stones ... about 1/4" & less ..
Old 03-18-19, 05:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
The simple answer to the question is yes. The more complicated answer is Yes, if you have good tires.

Old 03-18-19, 11:54 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Trucker don't give a s***. Continental Traffic 26x2.1 is an awesome all-surface tire IMO and experience.

Old 03-20-19, 06:46 AM
kidadam

Purchased - thanks all
Likes For kidadam:
Old 03-20-19, 06:52 AM
djb

a great deal, a touring bike AND a pooch
now there's a bargain.

and in all seriousness, even if you find you aren't crazy about it, if you take care of it properly and keep everything clean and not scratched, you could easily resell it for what you bought it for.
Old 03-20-19, 07:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts

Purchased - thanks all
Matches the dog.

Just noticed that the brakes are not standard issue cantis. Did you buy it new?

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-20-19 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-20-19, 07:23 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Purchased - thanks all
More than one happy family member!

Congrats!
Old 03-20-19, 07:36 AM
djb

if you do end up setting it up to do trails and such, you can always use small flexible fenders like these ones, available at MEC, for both front and rear.

the rear ones are great, use two of them and zip tie them to under the rack extending a bit out back, and overlap one that goes from rack down the seat tube to stop mud and grit going all over the front derailleur.
the small front one isnt perfect, but still light and somewhat effective (I havent used this one myself, but I have had the rear ones on a bike for probably 15 years)

rear
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4000-4...flector-Shield

front
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/1807-4...flector-Shield
Old 03-20-19, 08:13 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by djb
if you do end up setting it up to do trails and such, you can always use small flexible fenders like these ones, available at MEC, for both front and rear.
rear
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4000-4...flector-Shield
Thanks for posting, I think I need one or two of those rear ones. I am planning a Canada trip, I planned to stop at a MEC for stove fuel. My last trip, fenders stayed at home because too hard to pack in my S&S case. I might be able to pack a full size front fender and I have a spare one that I planned on trying to fit in the case, but I had not decided what to do yet on the rear. Was thinking of some ugly Coroplast, but that one looks much better.
Old 03-20-19, 08:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
drop bars too! fun!
Old 03-20-19, 09:36 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Thanks for posting, I think I need one or two of those rear ones. I am planning a Canada trip, I planned to stop at a MEC for stove fuel. My last trip, fenders stayed at home because too hard to pack in my S&S case. I might be able to pack a full size front fender and I have a spare one that I planned on trying to fit in the case, but I had not decided what to do yet on the rear. Was thinking of some ugly Coroplast, but that one looks much better.
dont know if you can see in the photos, but the sides have a crimped, fold to them, that makes a bit of a "curved down" sort of shape. This "fold" is what helps them keep their shape and in place, and can be bent and banged and go back to their shape.
This fold also helps in the downtube part, to help deflect stuff away from the fd, although it isnt perfect like I mentioned, but a lightweight and tough solution thats better than nothing.
Use electric tape of course on frame to stop zip tie rubs.

maybe check out the mec if they have them in stock, thats all.
Old 03-20-19, 03:12 PM
kidadam

Originally Posted by djb
a great deal, a touring bike AND a pooch
now there's a bargain.

and in all seriousness, even if you find you aren't crazy about it, if you take care of it properly and keep everything clean and not scratched, you could easily resell it for what you bought it for.
i also had a fitness credit with my work so all in was 1200cad - pretty good!
Old 03-22-19, 09:25 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by djb
dont know if you can see in the photos, but the sides have a crimped, fold to them, that makes a bit of a "curved down" sort of shape. This "fold" is what helps them keep their shape and in place, and can be bent and banged and go back to their shape.
This fold also helps in the downtube part, to help deflect stuff away from the fd, although it isnt perfect like I mentioned, but a lightweight and tough solution thats better than nothing.
Use electric tape of course on frame to stop zip tie rubs.

maybe check out the mec if they have them in stock, thats all.
Thanks for the advice. But I looked at my rear racks (I am undecided which rack to use this year) and both might not work well with that deflector shield. Those rear light brackets that Tubus and Racktime weld on the back would interfere and I do not want to cut those brackets off. So, considering other options. As a reminder, I could not get fenders into my S&S case for my last trip, fenders stayed at home. So, I am looking for an option that will fit in my luggage.

I know a guy that has an old mountain bike as a commuter. A few weeks ago I saw he had added some fenders, two front fenders. Yup, a front fender on the rear, it was pretty obvious that the fender on the rear was a front fender when the front end of the fender only extended half way from the seatstay bridge down to the chainstay bridge. He said they were only $5 each at a local bike charity.

That got me to thinking that I might be able to fit two front fenders into my luggage where a rear did not fit, that is the option I am now considering. I have a bit over two months to decide what to do. And if that does not work, then likely to zip tie on some Coroplast in the back. I already have one used front fender that I plan to use.

Thanks again. I still plan to stop at that MEC store for stove fuel, the internet says they have the Deflector in stock, so it still might end up being a plan B.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.