Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Are prices increasing for Chinese made bikes?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Are prices increasing for Chinese made bikes?

Old 09-04-19, 10:47 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Yes, I guess when you look at it from that perspective, it makes more sense.

Originally Posted by linberl
Yes, it's not cheap but I use it on two different bikes so it's very affordable if you use multiple. Two cheap kits would easily cost me that much or more. And I'd be stuck with added weight always.
Old 09-05-19, 07:49 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
Your statement is true. However, bicycle sales have dropped double digits in the USA for two years ( quantity sold ). That was before the trade war stuff.
As you say, this past bicycles sales slump has nothing to do with future tariff increases on bicycles from one country.

"If people don't want to come, nothing will stop them." - Yoga Berra
Old 09-06-19, 07:47 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Yeah, there's some striking similarities between the camps on the U.S.A.-Mexico border and the camps in China. To the shame of both countries not only do these camps exist at all, but in both cases they contain prisoners who are generally of a different ethnicity from the officials who ordered them locked up.

I'm not going to heap praise on the U.S.A. It's always had plenty of faults. But China is a totalitarian state. I think it's reasonable to weigh this into consideration when purchasing products. I personally do buy goods which are made in China sometimes. But I'll always have a think about it. For example, one of my favourite threads here on forums is this: https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...nterested.html. I read the whole thing start to finish a few years ago, absorbed in the magic of an idea bantered about in a public online forum getting turned into a tangible and rather stunning product. Of course production for this version of the Swift folder is in China. I noticed that the factory is located in North-Central China away from the large bicycle industry centred in and around Shenzen. I've been tempted to buy one since I read about it. But I always hesitate. Titanium is often used to build sophisticated weapons such as aircraft and missiles. How can I rest assured that I'm not investing in a totalitarian country's war machine when I buy such a thing? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of U.S. arms manufacturers either, and I realise that whenever I do business with an American company a portion of the transaction generally goes to the U.S. government in tax. But if I were to buy a Bike Friday (just as an example) I'm pretty confident that the company doesn't make weapons of mass destruction. That's important to me.
Just as a side note, China is the world's leader in 3d printed sintered titanium....largely military driven, and due to lack of home grown manufacturing capabilities.

There was a case study a few years back where a denture was printed for a military officer that couldn't open his mouth due to oral cancer.
Old 09-06-19, 08:11 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
Also interesting to note that this thread seems to have 2 distinct conversations at the same time.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting my brompton back from the shop.

In the meantime, I might dry some tomatoes and borrow my sister's Dahon.
Old 09-06-19, 08:28 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Yes, I noticed that too. Fascinating since I was the original poster and am getting a kick out of it.

Originally Posted by mlau
Also interesting to note that this thread seems to have 2 distinct conversations at the same time.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting my brompton back from the shop.

In the meantime, I might dry some tomatoes and borrow my sister's Dahon.
Old 09-08-19, 07:33 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
More on tariffs.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/06/trad...p-founder.html
Old 09-08-19, 04:11 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Here in the UK and Europe we get bikes imported from different countries to the USA because we already had additional tariffs and quotas due to EU restrictions so the biggest exporter of bikes to the EU is Cambodia and we get many bikes from countries like Indonesia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Vietnam as well as bikes from Taiwan and mainland China.

Some of the bikes are mainly assembled from Chinese parts but some have a huge percentage of local parts with only some of the drivetrain components sourced from China.

There are many other options to bikes from mainland China.

Some of the factories are more basic especially in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka but they do decent steel bikes.

I would of thought for entry level bikes there are many other options.

The USA has a large trade deficit and currently there is national debt that equals about $200,000 per tax payer in the USA. I'm a UK citizen but recognise the importance of the USA as democracy with rule of law being at the top of the world power table.

China is a dark and corrupt country that has little in the way of moral values from its government.

I just feel it's important the USA stabilises its economy and reduces it debt and moves to a trade surplus. There are many climate change challenges approaching and I feel it is important the USA is in a good place to meet those challenges.

It's nice to have cheap products but there is no saving if all you are effectively doing is building up huge future debt for yourself. I mean how many years will it take to payback close to $200,000 of debt per taxpayer and you haven't even started paying it back yet and when you do it wouldn't surprise me if it took 15-30 years of austerity to do so. Surely better to buy a $500 US made bike than a $200 Chinese bike etc.

https://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 09-08-19, 05:16 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
Here in the UK and Europe we get bikes imported from different countries to the USA because we already had additional tariffs and quotas due to EU restrictions so the biggest exporter of bikes to the EU is Cambodia and we get many bikes from countries like Indonesia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Vietnam as well as bikes from Taiwan and mainland China.

Some of the bikes are mainly assembled from Chinese parts but some have a huge percentage of local parts with only some of the drivetrain components sourced from China.

There are many other options to bikes from mainland China.

Some of the factories are more basic especially in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka but they do decent steel bikes.

I would of thought for entry level bikes there are many other options.

The USA has a large trade deficit and currently there is national debt that equals about $200,000 per tax payer in the USA. I'm a UK citizen but recognise the importance of the USA as democracy with rule of law being at the top of the world power table.

China is a dark and corrupt country that has little in the way of moral values from its government.

I just feel it's important the USA stabilises its economy and reduces it debt and moves to a trade surplus. There are many climate change challenges approaching and I feel it is important the USA is in a good place to meet those challenges.

It's nice to have cheap products but there is no saving if all you are effectively doing is building up huge future debt for yourself. I mean how many years will it take to payback close to $200,000 of debt per taxpayer and you haven't even started paying it back yet and when you do it wouldn't surprise me if it took 15-30 years of austerity to do so. Surely better to buy a $500 US made bike than a $200 Chinese bike etc.

https://www.usdebtclock.org/
Agreed.

There’s a book out which speaks to this entitled “Cheap-The High Cost of Discount Culture” by Ellen Ruppel Shell which is on my reading queue. Have you read it?
Likes For FolderBeholder:
Old 09-09-19, 11:22 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
Agreed.

There’s a book out which speaks to this entitled “Cheap-The High Cost of Discount Culture” by Ellen Ruppel Shell which is on my reading queue. Have you read it?
I've not read it but the UK has similar issues to the US except a far smaller economy and much more controlled by larger economies and we have built up debt, a trade deficit and had a large percentage of assets go into foreign ownership which
often happens when you have a trade deficit and the exporting countries have surplus sterling or dollars to spend and invest them back into the country buying up businesses etc. Like the USA the UK has had a fairly stable economy for a long time and
the population are not economically literate and don't seem to understand the huge debts that are being built up. I'm not sure Trump has all the answers but at least he recognises the problem and the danger of running a trade deficit long term and building up huge debts. We don't have that recognition in the UK with all 3 major political parties being utterly clueless I feel on how to run a successful economy. Sadly the UK economy will be facing huge issues within the next decade or so as the debt level becomes unsustainable and there is a huge drop in living standards. We have no Trump style politician in the UK, Boris is a champion of free trade and is happy to keep borrowing creating huge debts for the future.
Old 09-09-19, 03:15 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
You seem to forget Trump and the Republicans have put us (US) in to the greatest debt since the 1980s. Our great grand kids will never be able to pay it. Roger
Likes For rhenning: