Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Biking and Chafing/Bleeding

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Biking and Chafing/Bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-19, 01:37 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
He could have at least added,,,,,,,,, asking for a friend.......

lololololol
Old 12-17-19, 02:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
He could have at least added,,,,,,,,, asking for a friend.......
You win General for the day.
Old 12-17-19, 02:05 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by billyO13
I'm wondering what I need to change, (1) my saddle position; (2) the saddle itself; or (3) my attire?
(PS-I've been a medical practitioner treating patients for the past 25 years, so I don't need any advice to go see a doctor to make sure it's nothing more serious)
Yes
Old 12-17-19, 02:36 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I knew a medical professional who did a 180 career change; right after the trial
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 12-17-19, 02:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Also, eat more fiber.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-17-19, 03:15 PM
Bent Bill

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I dont see why everybody is getting in such an uproar
The op clearly states he doesn't want medical advise
in his original post

He is asking for advise on saddles and or shorts

My opinion is you need to try different saddles and different saddle positioning
I dont know that there is a specific set time for trying different saddles or positions of your saddle

I would also try mountain bike shorts they have a pad in them but they are looser fitting than "roady" shorts

I use these under my cargo shorts/pants
you can buy them in any size from skin tight to baggy loose

https://www.backcountry.com/zoic-ess...ner-short-mens
Old 12-17-19, 04:05 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Bent Bill
I dont see why everybody is getting in such an uproar
The op clearly states he doesn't want medical advise
in his original post

He is asking for advise on saddles and or shorts

My opinion is you need to try different saddles and different saddle positioning
I dont know that there is a specific set time for trying different saddles or positions of your saddle

I would also try mountain bike shorts they have a pad in them but they are looser fitting than "roady" shorts
If you are going to step in and be the voice of reason then be reasonable. When have you ever known bleeding to be a result of the worst saddle choice or type of shorts used? I've jumped on some cheap-o @$$ hatchets in my day and put on 30 miles and the main danger was that Willie might not wake up again. Chamois is not padding, its used as a low friction interface to reduce chafing. So is chamois butter. Your hoo-hoo should NOT be undergoing chafing as a result of normal cycling motions. Pressure perhaps, not twisting or tearing. This thread is going to hell in a handbasket and you are welcome to join the ride but, please, don't insult our intelligence. There is no 'uproar'. We are bemused, not outraged.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 12-17-19, 04:11 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
If the Op only wanted advice on the saddle, he could have done so without all the bloody extraneous BS.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 12-17-19, 04:12 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
I was talking about the general public using the term loosely.
To be clear, I don't have hemorrhoids, have no history of hemorrhoids in either myself or my family. The blood is only noticed on the paper from wiping after a bowel movement. It is external bleeding (bright red) and not from higher up in the fecal tract which tends to be darker red.
Wear cycling shorts.

Black stains on my pants seat weren't enough to get me dressing for success, but bleeding from a 3 mile one way commute did the trick.

Cycling shorts are built so the outer short sticks to the saddle, the chamois sticks to you, and they wear holes in each other instead of your skin. A single layer of fabric can't do that. Synthetic leather was fine. Some squishy pads are less comfortable than that. Firmer pads can be a bit nicer on all day rides.

Wear cycling rain pants, board shorts, a utility kilt, a minidress, etc. over them if you don't like the look.

Anyone else who doesn't like your commuting fashion can pound sand.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 12-17-19 at 04:21 PM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 12-17-19, 04:25 PM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Another vote here for wearing cycling shorts under long pants, I do that for longer rides in the winter all the time. Usually the overpants are dockers or cargos. The main thing you lose doing that is the sweat wicking away which is not a big deal in colder weather. Carharts on a bike sounds really harsh.

You still wear the shorts against the skin, pack your underwear. And spurge for nice shorts, you get what you pay for in this instance.
Old 12-17-19, 04:42 PM
Bent Bill

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
If you are going to step in and be the voice of reason then be reasonable. When have you ever known bleeding to be a result of the worst saddle choice or type of shorts used? I've jumped on some cheap-o @$$ hatchets in my day and put on 30 miles and the main danger was that Willie might not wake up again. Chamois is not padding, its used as a low friction interface to reduce chafing. So is chamois butter. Your hoo-hoo should NOT be undergoing chafing as a result of normal cycling motions. Pressure perhaps, not twisting or tearing. This thread is going to hell in a handbasket and you are welcome to join the ride but, please, don't insult our intelligence. There is no 'uproar'. We are bemused, not outraged.
First off he is riding in Carhartts not shorts or any other type of bike clothing

Secondly I have personally had a saddle sore that formed and bled just from cycling in wet blue jeans on a ride home in the rain from work that was only 8 miles

Thirdly if your "intelligence" or lack of is so easily insulted maybe you should hang out on a knitting forum or somewhere similar
last time I checked I didnt need your permission for anything
Old 12-17-19, 05:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3669 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Folks, it's all winter fun here. "Medical Practitioner" asking the internet for advice on his bloody butt? About as likely as the homeless guy (living in a tent until he can get in public housing) buying Campy Record to go on his dumpster bike. Saturday 12/21 is winter solstice, keep this one rolling!
Old 12-17-19, 05:24 PM
billyO13

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I have to admit, I'm confused--what kind of "medical practitioner" goes to an internet biking forum for medical advice? Obviously, you can't properly examine yourself, so yeah, go to a doctor for cryin' out loud.
Thanks for the info.
As I stated in the above post, I'm looking for biking advice on whether or not my saddle is the most likely cause, from folks who actually ride regularly, not medical advice.
Old 12-17-19, 05:27 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Also, eat more fiber.
now that's some good advice for everybody !!!!!!
Likes For Fastfingaz:
Old 12-17-19, 05:31 PM
billyO13

Originally Posted by Bent Bill
He is asking for advise on saddles and or shorts.
Thanks Bill. I'm glad that some folks are still able to use their brains.

I was going to post and update, and probably will change the title when I do, but I stopped by my local bike shop today and they sold me a used saddle that has a cut-out right in the perineal area that's inflamed. After borrowing a 14mm wrench, I swapped it out right there, spent a few minutes fidgeting with the angle of the seat and on the rest of my 8 miles of errands today, didn't have to stand up once to relieve any itching or soreness. I'm at least a step closer to the solution, if not already there.
Thanks to almost all who have given their thoughts. And thanks for the medical advice as well, as it came from a place of concern. The world should have more of that.
Old 12-17-19, 05:33 PM
billyO13

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Folks, it's all winter fun here. "Medical Practitioner" asking the internet for advice on his bloody butt?
See above. I was asking bikers if a poorly shaped saddle could be a cause of said 'bloody butt'.

I'm sorry, but that wasn't covered in medical school 27 years ago. Things may have changed....
Old 12-17-19, 05:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3669 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
I like Terry saddles with the cut out.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-17-19, 05:45 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Also, eat more fiber.
A friend who researches diet and exercise, once said something along the lines of "don't push, it should fall out on its own."
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-17-19, 07:10 PM
billyO13

Update:

Here's where we are, folks.

Original saddle (with spot on saddle where the irritation/inflammation is/was:

'New' ($5 used) saddle:
Old 12-17-19, 07:48 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
MOD NOTE TO ALL: The topic of this thread is saddles & clothing to prevent abrasion.

Title edited to better reflect the OP's concerns.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 12-17-19 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-17-19, 07:53 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Hello all. Looking for opinions/advice from those of you with more time on the bike than me.
Due to occasional seizures, a little over a month ago, I made the transition to being a full time bike commuter because driving a 1-ton diesel in now a bad idea and unsafe for the public. In the past couple of weeks, I've noticed some bloody stools and some irritation/inflammation around my perineal area, which I'm pretty sure is due to irritation from riding 10-20 miles a few days a week running errands.
I'm wondering what I need to change, (1) my saddle position; (2) the saddle itself; or (3) my attire?
(1) - In the past week, I've started playing around with my seat position, which I'm pretty sure this is the main culprit as the nose seemed too high once I started paying attention to it.
How long should I give each new seat setting before trying to adjust again?
(2) - My saddle is just the basic saddle that came with the used Giant Farrago I bought.
Am I wasting time playing around with positioning and should I go right to a better saddle designed to prevent this problem?
(3) - I also work as a metalworker/blacksmith and most of my commuting lately has been in Carhartts. I also (not to get too personal here, but it is relevant for the current discussion) do not like wearing underwear/long johns/tights/biking shorts etc.
Should I start by biting the bullet and getting some biking shorts with padding in that area?

Thanks

(PS-I've been a medical practitioner treating patients for the past 25 years, so I don't need any advice to go see a doctor to make sure it's nothing more serious)
Why would you not consult a physician before coming here for .medical advice?
Old 12-17-19, 07:54 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
I've not had the blood issue, yet have had the severe pain from a similar seat to your original non cut-out one. Went with one that has a longer "trench" to the second one you have & no longer have the pain. I still get back stiffness, however, I attribute that to more than bicycling although cycling doesn't help matters for the back issue. I enjoy my bike, so that is not changing any time soon!
Old 12-17-19, 08:43 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

I have had saddles sores and "blood blisters" on occasion from saddles that don't fit me. I think a compatible saddle is primary, with clothing 2nd. There are probably non-cycling specific undies that will work with street clothes. Tight fitting, to avoid bunching and folds is probably the thing to look for.

Old 12-17-19, 08:58 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Why would you not consult a physician before coming here for .medical advice?
This is not a medical advice thread.

Old 12-17-19, 10:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Best thing to do is get a bike fit. Getting fit on the bike and having a professional recommend saddles based on your riding and measurements can help quite a bit in the comfort department. Getting a dynamic fit like say Retül is for literally everyone who rides a bike. People assume it is just for those who race but anyone and I do mean anyone can benefit from it. Having gotten a fit it has changed my riding and I am way more comfortable than I ever have been on any of my bikes. When I brought in another bike to get the fit set I knew it was off and my fitter said "yep you were off quite a bit" and then my ride home was so much better. It is almost like I am riding on a new bike and I cannot recommend seeing a fitter enough.

Once you are set on the fit I would also consider using some good chamois creme (mine is Cycle Glide from Body Glide) and a chamois (I prefer bibs as they keep things in better place). If not a chamois then good tighter fitting non-cotton underwear like ExOfficio Give and Go. I have probably 20 pairs mostly boxer-briefs (though I think I got some boxers when my old shop was closing because the price was excellent) and aside from one pair of TNF FlashDry that a friend gave me that is all I wear and all I would wear for underwear and have zero interest in switching even if someone paid me money to wear something else. That is how much I love it. For pants and such Club Ride might be more your style and I have ridden in their Gold Rush Pants a bunch of times and can say they are fantastic for riding in. They also make a chamois which probably would be fine for commuting if you didn't want to go with bibs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.