Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist killed on transverse through Central Park

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist killed on transverse through Central Park

Old 12-20-19, 03:30 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
What I think happened, is the cyclist headed for the left lane just where it widens to 2 lanes, after the little bridge overpass. This is at the west end of the park.
He must have slipped cutting across in front of the bus following maybe 40 or 50 feet behind when he made his move. Likely preparing for a LH turn at the light.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 12-20-19 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-20-19, 03:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I think it was Colonel Mustard in the library with a school bus.
Old 12-20-19, 03:43 PM
GamblerGORD53

So, you haven't a CLUE then?? LOL hahahaha
Old 12-20-19, 05:12 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
What I think happened....
Wild speculation deleted. Only to be topped with wilder speculation.

Likely preparing for a LH turn at the light.
5th Ave is one way downtown, so interesting to think he would choose to salmon there. BTW, he was heading to Park Ave and 96th, which is straight ahead. But you could be right I suppose.

-mr. bill
Old 12-20-19, 05:26 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Not clear whether he hit the ice or the curb:

https://abc7ny.com/cyclist-dead-run-...verse/5765696/
Authorities say the bicyclist struck a curb and fell off his bike into the roadway, where he was run over by the school bus.
https://nypost.com/2019/12/18/cyclis...tural-history/
Dr. Daniel Cammerman, 50, was riding east on the street that bisects the green-space around 8:40 a.m. when he hit the ice and was thrown into the westbound lane, according to cops.

The irony is he was a pediatrician run over by a school bus carrying 14 children who could have been his patients, and was rushed to the hospital where he worked.
Old 12-22-19, 05:06 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7334 Post(s)
Liked 2,431 Times in 1,420 Posts
There are four transverse roads that cross Central Park, and they are all treacherous. There are not many alternatives, as the park is much longer than its width. There is a road that crosses 72nd St. (The park goes from 59th St to 110th St.) There are pedestrian paths that cross the park, but we are not allowed to ride bikes on them. I have needed to cross the park daily since late September. I was taking the 66th St transverse road, despite my trepidation. I take the lane and watch my rearview mirror frequently. A couple of weeks ago, I decided this road is too dangerous, so I started taking the 72nd St Rd. It's not far out of my way. And now this happened, confirming my decision.

Something similar happened to me on the 66th St transverse road many years ago, except I didn't get hit. I hit a patch of ice! Ahead of me was a bike-tire-eating sewer grate, and I couldn't ride over it. Behind me was a city bus. My rear wheel fishtailed on the ice. I figured I was about to die. Somehow I didn't. Maybe the bus driver saw me and moved to the left.

Advocates here in the city are saying we need to remediate these transverse roads or have some other way to cross the park. It's two and a half miles long, south to north, so we are not going around it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 12-22-19, 05:35 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I swear NYC eats its own .
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 12-22-19, 05:40 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The bus was trying to pass the cyclist according to one story I saw. Dude hit a patch of ice, "fell" and was struck by the bus' left, front tire.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...qbu-story.html

Icy shoulder, narrow passage. That's a "Take the Lane" situation in my book. I'd probably hold it all the way through the park.
Old 12-22-19, 07:38 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
I swear NYC eats its own .
O man, I've never heard it put quite like that but have you ever nailed it!
H (escaped NY'er)
Old 12-22-19, 07:56 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by MaxKatt
Icy shoulder, narrow passage. That's a "Take the Lane" situation in my book. I'd probably hold it all the way through the park.
I wonder if you really know just what kind of road rage doing such a thing would elicit. Personally if things were cold enough to result in ice ANYWHERE on the road I would not be out and about on a bike unless it had studded tires. Wouldn't it SUCK to be controlling that lane and WHAM you go down right in front of the F-150 who has been riding your six for the last several minutes who has cursed your entire family tree all the way back to the Mayflower. The same ice that dropped you caused his already slow reaction to your fall ... ... nope ... Icy shoulder (i.e. road), narrow passage, that's a "take the sidewalk (on foot) situation in my book.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 12-22-19, 08:10 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I wonder if you really know just what kind of road rage doing such a thing would elicit. Personally if things were cold enough to result in ice ANYWHERE on the road I would not be out and about on a bike unless it had studded tires. Wouldn't it SUCK to be controlling that lane and WHAM you go down right in front of the F-150 who has been riding your six for the last several minutes who has cursed your entire family tree all the way back to the Mayflower. The same ice that dropped you caused his already slow reaction to your fall ... ... nope ... Icy shoulder (i.e. road), narrow passage, that's a "take the sidewalk (on foot) situation in my book.
YOUR REPLY overflows with common sense!!! From my experience a "sense" that is in very short supply in today's world.
Old 12-22-19, 08:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

If taking the lane isn't safe for you, don't do it, but I do it all the time in NYC and, as I said, on these very transverse roads. I watch drivers behind me and get a sense when they are outraged. When they are, I move aside. It wasn't that cold on Thursday. I can believe there were small patches of ice, but if there was one, it came without warning.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-22-19, 09:55 PM
vol

Originally Posted by noglider
There are four transverse roads that cross Central Park, and they are all treacherous. There are not many alternatives, as the park is much longer than its width.
I was going to say the same. I rode on the 79th st. transverse a couple times. Once I thought it too risky, so I rode on the very narrow curb, but almost had a flat because of all the garbage on the ground.

We really need some safe bike paths across the park east<->west, if two-way loop is not possible. This tragedy was something waiting to happen even without the weather factor--it could happen on a fine spring day.
Old 12-23-19, 08:54 AM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts

I stand by comment and recommendation.

I don't let "road rage" fluster me. I'll hustle hard out front and ignore occaisional horn as I do it. People aren't stupid. They see what you're trying to do and recognize it as the smart play. As long as you're doing your part to clear the sitationa asap, most drivers are tollerant.

Cyclist has right to be safe. One in 10mm drivers will actually knowingly plow straight ahead into a cyclist squre in front of them, as that's an express pass to long prison sentence.

It's counter intuitive, but at times the safest place is in the middle of the road.
Old 12-23-19, 10:40 AM
Leisesturm

I wouldn't know about CP's transverse roads. I don't remember them. Back in the day, the main loops of both CP and PP (in Brooklyn) were open to traffic only until after the morning rush. You could skate, ride, or walk the main loop all day long until around 3:00 pm. No authority would bother a cyclist using the numerous transverse walking paths across the parks. Different times I guess. But there is this: Mayor DeBlasio is an extremely Liberal and citizen minded individual. NOW is the time to advocate hard for dedicated use of the transverse roads for cyclists and other vulnerable road users. Let the cars take the long way around! I also stand by my earlier comments. That doctor had years of good work left in him. For all we know he was "taking the lane", it doesn't sound like there is any other way to do it. That did him how much good? Treacherous is treacherous, and if the transverse cuts are as bad as I am hearing, the cure for that is remediation. Or avoidance.
Old 12-23-19, 11:09 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
What I think happened, is the cyclist headed for the left lane just where it widens to 2 lanes, after the little bridge overpass. This is at the west end of the park.
He must have slipped cutting across in front of the bus following maybe 40 or 50 feet behind when he made his move. Likely preparing for a LH turn at the light.
Originally Posted by vol
Not clear whether he hit the ice or the curb:
https://abc7ny.com/cyclist-dead-run-...verse/5765696/
https://nypost.com/2019/12/18/cyclis...tural-history/
The irony is he was a pediatrician run over by a school bus carrying 14 children who could have been his patients, and was rushed to the hospital where he worked.
Originally Posted by MaxKatt
If taking the lane isn't safe for you, don't do it, but I do it all the time in NYC and, as I said, on these very transverse roads. I watch drivers behind me and get a sense when they are outraged. When they are, I move aside. It wasn't that cold on Thursday. I can believe there were small patches of ice, but if there was one, it came without warning.
vol's quote from the Post explains it: probably he was taking the lane. He entered the Transverse Rd at 96th street from CPW (maybe at the red light to get some odds against the traffic coming from the back), and he was going as fast as possible to avoid holding back the traffic behind him. The east and west bound lanes merge near the bridge that carries the West Dr. across the Transverse, and that is where the east bound lane curves. If he hit a patch of ice that came without warning at that curve, he would be thrown into the left west bound lane. The bus was keeping left preparing for the left turn, which is consistent with it going to the Museum of the Natural History. Then he was ran over by the left front wheel of the bus. There was nothing the bus driver could do.
Advocates here in the city are saying we need to remediate these transverse roads or have some other way to cross the park. It's two and a half miles long, south to north, so we are not going around it.
Or at least allow two way traffic in the East/West Dr. from 96th to the 102nd/104th. This would make a small detour compared to going down to the 72nd. The other transverse roads would need a different solution.
Old 12-23-19, 11:49 AM
GamblerGORD53

What was wrong with my theory, is it was going the wrong way west bound. Ooops.
What is wrong with the MUPs there anyway? They do wander some I see.
Old 12-23-19, 11:56 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by csport
vol's quote from the Post explains it: probably he was....
Again, massive quantities of speculation deleted.

The bus in the photograph is heading EAST.

The crash took place on the EAST side of the park.

Just leave it at this. If you think you know what happened, think again. And again. And again. Think.

-mr. bill
Old 12-23-19, 01:12 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
looks like the road narrows under the overpasses. this is the 96th St Rd.

from a 2007 death on the 66th St Rd. - An eyewitness driving behind the car that hit the cyclist reports: "The bike and the car came together where the road narrowed

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2007/08/...rse-is-unsafe/

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-23-19 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-23-19, 03:09 PM
vol

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
looks like the road narrows under the overpasses. this is the 96th St Rd.

https://youtu.be/gxAbdhmjAAo
As can be seen in the video, if not taking the lane, the cyclist would have to ride extremely close to the curb, so it's possible he hit the curb and not ice. I read a lot of online comments blaming the cyclist for riding in the winter icy conditions; I think it's much more about the road condition.

In addition to the ice and the curb... when I rode on the 79th st transverse one day, there was a broken bottle in the middle of the road with broken glass all over, so I had to go around it.

Last edited by vol; 12-23-19 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-23-19, 04:14 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I can't blame the cyclist for riding in those conditions. There wasn't a lot of ice. I rode that day. I checked before heading out, checking explicitly to see if there was much ice. There wasn't. If he hit ice, it might have been the first ice he saw.

Old 12-23-19, 04:15 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

What was wrong with my theory, is it was going the wrong way west bound. Ooops.
What is wrong with the MUPs there anyway? They do wander some I see.
Are you looking at the pedestrian paths in the park? They are not MUPs. You are not allowed to cycle on the pedestrian paths in Central Park. You are in other parks. So as I see it, one solution is to designate SOME of them as MUPs.

Old 12-23-19, 04:20 PM
mr_bill

Other than tabloids, who says ice?

Damn, other than tabloids, who says driver’s side tire?

Frankly, other than tabloids, who says AMNH?

Everything you “know” you may not.

-mr. bill
Old 12-23-19, 10:33 PM
GamblerGORD53

The wide sidewalk only in the tunnels looks evil alright. It looks like I would want to get on it.
Plus it definitely needs a slow no passing bikes zone. Those cars look like they are going faster than 25 of course.
Some of that side rock needs trimming too, IMO.
Old 12-23-19, 11:31 PM
vol

The wide sidewalk only in the tunnels looks evil alright. It looks like I would want to get on it.
Plus it definitely needs a slow no passing bikes zone. Those cars look like they are going faster than 25 of course.
Some of that side rock needs trimming too, IMO.
Agree. Also the dark bridge tunnels and the curves of the road affect visibility a lot. Vehicles don't slow down for that.

NOW is the time to advocate hard for dedicated use of the transverse roads for cyclists and other vulnerable road users. Let the cars take the long way around!
Good point! The parks should be more for pedestrians and cyclists than for vehicles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.