Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Gave my Dahon a workout today.

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 03-17-20, 08:48 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

Just a hair over 60 miles today. No problems with the load.

It was a wet start to the ride but it dried up between 12:00-1:00 and was fine the rest of the day, but cool. I don't think it got above 45degF. With the cloud cover I didn't get much solar charging during my lunch break - about 170mA peak is what I saw. I should be able to get over 1250mA out of those two panels in brighter sun.

In any event, it wasn't a bad day for a ride. Not ideal but not bad.

The bike did great.

I did not get any video footage on this run. I didn't want to mess with setting up a camera to record on-the-go, that and I didn't have my helmet on for more than half the ride as I was on trails a large portion. I wanted to keep the weight off my neck and back - both the helmet and camera up there (I've done that in the past - mount a camera on the helmet).

This was the longest ride so far this season. I felt more energized and less fatigued when I got back than the last 52mi ride or so. I think a large part of that was leaving the helmet off. I don't think the "build up" since that ride alone would have made the difference I felt.

Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 03-18-20, 02:01 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
well done!
you took a lot of kit with you
Old 03-18-20, 06:37 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Originally Posted by Fentuz
well done!
you took a lot of kit with you
Always. Lotsa options (food, drink, clothes, and otherwise) and lots to do My trips are to be comfortable and fun, not squeaking by with the bare minimum.

For what it is worth, when I left it was in the upper 30's and very moist - dew point and temp were the same causing so much condensation it turned in to a light rain in places. That lasted about 3.5 hours then cleared up. It wasn't a warm sunny day for a ride = more gear because of the layers etc.

A few things I could have done without on this trip, like a reclining chair and heavy coat in the yellow bag. I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I did shed layers about 2/3 of the ride out - so that all had to go somewhere. I wasn't hurting on bag space so no problem there.

I had planned to leave before daybreak but it was just too wet to risk it. So I waited until the sun was up to re-evaluate and still sat it out a while. I did get a bit wet about an hour in to the ride, to the point I almost stopped. I had an umbrella I could have hunkered down under if I had to (didn't have much water repellent layers - only a coat). There was no rain on the radar so again, just the moisture in the air. I was hoping I would ride out of the wet spot soon enough - and I did. So it all worked out.
Old 03-18-20, 06:50 AM
KC8QVO

By the way - the red folding chair is the small version of the Eskimo ice fishing chair. I got that for ice fishing years ago, oddly enough I haven't used it for ice fishing yet though. I started using it in the garage when I was working on stuff and came to really like it. It is a fantastic chair. The best part is it has a back on it. I strap it to the top of the rack so it is easy to grab. Most of the time its on the very top so is the first thing off. When I stop on the side of the trail for breaks I pull it off and it it unfolds instantly giving me a spot to park myself for a bit.

Coffee and snack break on the return trek:

My recliner is an REI Flex Chair. I really like it as well. It is way more comfortable, but it also takes a lot more work to set up and take down. And it is a recliner so it isn't ideal to doing any work out in front - like working the stove cooking or working contacts on the radio from a table. So the Eskimo wins there on both fronts - speed of deployment and posture for "doing things". And I still find it comfortable. The down side is it uses steel legs = heavier. But it is strong and for as much as I use it I'd rather have it well-built to hold up (and it has held very well over the years) so the weight doesn't bother me much.
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 03-19-20, 08:44 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
It all sounds like a real hoot! Love the pics and write up. I am envious and hope to do similar rides on my Dahon this year.

You have set a high bar!
Old 03-19-20, 11:01 AM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
It all sounds like a real hoot! Love the pics and write up. I am envious and hope to do similar rides on my Dahon this year.

You have set a high bar!
Get out there, ride, and enjoy.

I am keeping tabs on 2 things - rim wear and frame stress.

As to the latter - I haven't seen any signs of concern but I keep checking. That means all frame welds (specifically around the bottom bracket and underside of the frame hinge joint).

I know the Dahon isn't as strong as my Disk Trucker, but it is still a capable bike.
Old 03-21-20, 06:00 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 72 Posts
Looks like a nice ride! For us locals, where was your picnic spot?
Old 03-21-20, 11:01 AM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by seat_boy
Looks like a nice ride! For us locals, where was your picnic spot?
Delaware State Park.

If ya got time coming up hit me up and we can do another ride, as long as the weather is somewhat decent.