Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2004 Trek 5200 Carbon Speed

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-20, 10:57 AM
The Big Wheel
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I currently own a TREK FX1, 2018 model, I average almost 14mph but can do 20mph without a sweat if the road is smooth and long and can hit 25mph for short bursts (like 30 seconds). A local guy is selling a TREK 5200 2004 model. Specs say it weights almost 18 pounds (I think my bike is almost 28 pounds, it's an XL model, the TREK 5200 is a 60cm model). What kinds of speed do you think I can get on the TREK 5200? Average, max, and just riding without breaking a sweat?

I'm asking because I was thinking of getting an electric bike or converting my current one but figured it might be cheaper just to buy a lighter bike that might allow me to increase my max and average speed.
Old 04-14-20, 11:26 AM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
If my googling is correct the 52 ring on the 5200 will let you go 32mph @ 90rpm on the flat.

Ebikes have an assisted max speed of 28mph and then whatever you can get out of it using your muscles.

Ebikes are heavier, can run out electricity and thus will be slower if you run out of power. You will get up hills faster with the assist.

Seems to me if speed is your only goal then an ebike is the answer.

The 5200 will be a faster bike when comparing two human only powered bicycles because your own fitness pending you've got harder gears available and drop bars so you can get more aero and thus it's easier to go a bit faster. And yes, being lighter can make you faster.

A new ebike is going to be a more considerable amount of money unless you can get a good used one from a trusted seller.

Whatever bike you choose. Enjoy the ride. It doesn't always have to be about the numbers and the stats.
Likes For JayKay3000:
Old 04-14-20, 11:57 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
The fastest speed I have ever done over a longer distance was 41 kph over 100 km finishing with a time of 2:26 and a few seconds. I very much doubt that any ebike you could buy could match that over that distance. A road bike will be an improvement over your current bike if it fits properly and is properly fitted to you, the fit being much more important than the overall weight. A 2004 Trek 5200 was a high end road bike back in 2004, but that was 16 years ago. Unless it is still in absolute showroom condition, the years will have taken their toll unless it received meticulous maintenance over the years. With a bike of that age there is no way to tell without a full mechanic's inspection. All that said, careful training can improve your performance at least as much as a lighter bike
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 04-14-20, 12:15 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Are you asking if a mid level race bike is faster than a hybrid on the road?

Yes.

With 2 flat tires? Still yes.

What if it were a race bike from 1975? Yes
1950? Yes

What if..? Yes.

There is one place the hybrid excels, on a dirt road and a bag of groceries hanging off the handlebar.

​​​​​
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 04-14-20, 05:29 PM
The Big Wheel
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Well, that sold quickly. Guy wanted $500 and it was listed for about 12 hours.