Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Repair vintage Trek or buy new?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Repair vintage Trek or buy new?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-20, 09:56 AM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
Ded.
Yeah you are right! Trek seemed to re-use the model numbers pretty willy-nilly, and it leads to confusion. I missed the multi track note, and thought it was one of the older 720 touring bikes. My bad! MH
Old 04-16-20, 12:04 PM
JDandy

Bikes: 1996 Gary Fisher Avant Garde, 1989 Fuji Sundance, 1994 Bridgestone X0-4, 1971 WF Holdsworth Mitral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dk20
OP here. Thanks for all the replies. The reason why I suggested my bike is very late 80s is because I owned it for a few years before moving in to our current home in mid-1992. And before that we rode the same bikes on a major highway extension being build near our old neighborhood which opened for traffic in Dec. 1991. Had the bikes for about a year or 2 years riding that highway before moving in 1992. These dates are correct. While I tried looking up the bike on Trek Vintage, I couldn't find it for late 80s, but, did find it in 93, which doesn't make sense knowing 6.

Current bike is 17" I believe. Also, I live in Philly burbs, 50 mins outside the city (someone here asked) and doing a co-op search, I didn't find anything close-by. I certainly could post somewhere local and see what activity it gets for a repair person who can fix it and/or mentor me. I like the idea of tuning up my own bike(s) in the future, so perhaps utilizing my old Trek as a project is a good way to learn. I do like my old bike, though not so much the leaning over part while riding. And, I do like the step through on some of the newer womens' bikes.

The site won't allow me to post a photo until I reach 10 posts. Hummm...

Chances are your bike is indeed 17" based on the info you were able to find so far. If that is the case then this would explain why the bike feels just a bit too big for you. Using the chart from this link: Bike Sizing ,you would be more comfortable with a 15-16" or 51-52 cm frame. Your current bike freshly tuned and restored could be a solid performer for years to come, however, you will never be completely comfortable if it is just a bit to big.

If you do find a bicycle co-op nearby, they may be able to suggest a reliable used bike that fits you and your needs at this time for a lot less than the cost of a new bike and no more than the estimate to fix your current non-functioning bike. I'm sure the co-op would love to have your current bike as a donation. With experience you can decide if a new bike is what you want or if you want to learn about doing your own maintenance as you ride worry-free without making a substantial initial investment.
Old 04-16-20, 03:02 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by JDandy
Chances are your bike is indeed 17" based on the info you were able to find so far. If that is the case then this would explain why the bike feels just a bit too big for you. Using the chart from this link: Bike Sizing ,you would be more comfortable with a 15-16" or 51-52 cm frame. Your current bike freshly tuned and restored could be a solid performer for years to come, however, you will never be completely comfortable if it is just a bit to big.

If you do find a bicycle co-op nearby, they may be able to suggest a reliable used bike that fits you and your needs at this time for a lot less than the cost of a new bike and no more than the estimate to fix your current non-functioning bike. I'm sure the co-op would love to have your current bike as a donation. With experience you can decide if a new bike is what you want or if you want to learn about doing your own maintenance as you ride worry-free without making a substantial initial investment.
I'm puzzled. 17*2.54 = 43.2 cm, so this should be a 43 cm frame. What am I missing?
Old 04-16-20, 03:16 PM
JDandy

Bikes: 1996 Gary Fisher Avant Garde, 1989 Fuji Sundance, 1994 Bridgestone X0-4, 1971 WF Holdsworth Mitral

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I'm puzzled. 17*2.54 = 43.2 cm, so this should be a 43 cm frame. What am I missing?
The difference has to do with Hybrid/Mountain bike measurements (inches) and Road bike measurements (centimeters). I know they are measured differently but I don't know how to explain it. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in and clarify.
Likes For JDandy:
Old 04-16-20, 07:15 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Earliest a 720 hybrid shows up in the catalogs is 1990.

https://www.vintage-trek.com/images/t...rek/90Trek.pdf
Old 04-16-20, 09:58 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
It sounds like the OP's Multitrack 720 has a horizontal top bar. When you stand flat footed in front of the saddle, do you have clearance from the top tube? I know this is not the best way to measure, but if you don't have comfortable standing over, I'd replace it. I'd also agree that the repair estimate is too expensive, but I do my own work.

The Trek FX model is closer to a direct replacement of a multitrack, it comes in smaller sizes and has a slopping top tube which helps with stand over.
Old 04-17-20, 01:29 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
In response to dedhed's posting; The trek 700 series from that era was the second line just below the 170. And not an entry level bike, but at the top of the line. Saving it is going to be a good bike for a long time to come. I still have two of those 700 series bikes that are worth close to a thousand $ each. Be very careful about some of the advice given here. Look up the exact model online and find out it's true value. Smiles, MH
Complete nonsense. It was a $400 dollar bike at the time.
Old 04-17-20, 12:11 PM
Mad Honk 

Nonsense or not, It might be worth noting that the OP posted owning the bike since the late 1980's . The 1980 series of 720's was as I described. The later versions of the 720 model didn't come along until the 90's A quick check of the Trek Bike Models by year and color as that material is in print. Another source is Retrogrouch: Old vs New trek 720. Picture of the pre-90's bike is in that article. I have sent a PM to the OP asking for more clarification and an offer to help. I still stand by my advice to verify exactly what the bike is before making a decision.
As an aside the OP mentions not liking to lean forward which makes me think it has drop bars. Most of the multi -track models were equipped with straight or upright bars. So there is a bit of a discrepancy in that as well
Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 04-17-20 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-17-20, 02:35 PM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
We went thru the same scenario two years ago. My wife had a 720, all original equipment. It was a good bike. One day we pulled the bikes out of the garage and started riding again. After some rides and miles it was decision time.
I sold the 720 and bought her a Trek Verve with the step thru and she enjoys it.
I wasn’t going to personally do the refurb and wanted to move away from the old V brake technology.
first and foremost is understanding whether or not your 720 is the correct size for you. If it is not suggest taking a pass on the refurb option.
good luck with your decision and let us know which way you go.
Old 04-17-20, 04:00 PM
katsup

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Nonsense or not, It might be worth noting that the OP posted owning the bike since the late 1980's . The 1980 series of 720's was as I described. The later versions of the 720 model didn't come along until the 90's A quick check of the Trek Bike Models by year and color as that material is in print. Another source is Retrogrouch: Old vs New trek 720. Picture of the pre-90's bike is in that article. I have sent a PM to the OP asking for more clarification and an offer to help. I still stand by my advice to verify exactly what the bike is before making a decision.
As an aside the OP mentions not liking to lean forward which makes me think it has drop bars. Most of the multi -track models were equipped with straight or upright bars. So there is a bit of a discrepancy in that as well
Smiles, MH
This is the OP's bike

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/17480587
Old 04-17-20, 05:08 PM
Mad Honk 

OK folks,
I'll yell UNCLE! on this. I will say it only took 35 posts for a picture of the bike to show up. So I will amend my postings to say that it is likely not worth refurbishing for the OP at the bike shop. It can be a good learning experience for some one willing to do the work to refurbish it. But if it is too large for the OP as she ages, perhaps a step through model is more in line with her needs. As I have noted, if it were actually a bike from the 1980's it would be worth the effort to refurbish it. As always, Smiles.
Old 04-17-20, 05:22 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'd yell uncle too. That thing is mint. Ride it as-is.

Also, if you don't keep it, hybrids with smaller sized frames can be hard to find, and are great bikes for adolescents of either gender who have outgrown their kids bike but not reached full adult stature yet. So it might not be hard to find a taker for the bike.
Old 04-17-20, 06:27 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts
And I'm not seeing $300 in repairs...
Old 04-17-20, 06:54 PM
Dk20

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
OP here. That's my purple and green bike pictured. I wasn't authorized to post a photo before 10 posts, so n ot sure how it got posted after all. Anyway, the bike was upside down when pic was taken, so I turned the pic to make it appear right side up for easier viewing.

You can see it has straight handle bars. Unfortunately, it's still at the Trek shop since taking it there to get the repair estimate, so I can't stand and measure myself to the saddle as someone asked. The frame is in new condition. The Trek peeps said it needs tube and tire replacement, rust of cables and housing, shifting and brake adjustments, pedal bearing assembly, tune up, new kick stand (it doesn't hold bike up), and whatever else they "may" have mentioned.

I did ask them to bring in a small Verve 3 low-step to check out so I'm awaiting that as well as DH's bike to be fixed, hoping tomorrow. Still not certain what route I'll take yet. I keep going back and forth. Decisions, decisions.
Old 04-17-20, 06:56 PM
Dk20

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Mad Honk, I see you PM'ed me, but I can't reply in private until I have 10 posts.
Old 04-17-20, 07:07 PM
Mad Honk 

Contact me by phone, Smiles, MH
Edit: Phone number removed, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 04-18-20 at 08:49 AM. Reason: correction
Old 04-17-20, 07:09 PM
katsup

Originally Posted by Dk20
The Trek peeps said it needs tube and tire replacement, rust of cables and housing, shifting and brake adjustments, pedal bearing assembly, tune up, new kick stand (it doesn't hold bike up), and whatever else they "may" have mentioned.
Replace the tube and ride it, total should be about $10. The bike can use the other things, but doesn't need it to make it rideable. I fear your shop may be taking advantage. Your multitrack 720 is worth about $150 in today's market. Giving it a full tune up won't make it worth much more.

If you test ride the Verve, give a FX also a try.
Likes For katsup:
Old 04-17-20, 08:29 PM
Mad Honk 

I got to talk with the OP today. Her bike is going to be just fine if it fits her when she gets it back. There are a few mods she may need to make but not $300 worth. It will be a while before she gets it back from the LBS, but then she can start getting it into the shape she needs. I will try to walk her though the needed repairs via the phone and help her get it back to the ride she was used to. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 04-17-20, 10:13 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts
You're a good person MH. I'm betting that kickstand, is just suffering from low tires.
Old 04-17-20, 11:27 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
That bike looks almost mint. Maybe needs a little TLC, but not $300 worth. And no, I don;t think a new Verve is all that much better.
Old 04-20-20, 11:15 AM
Lscico

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm all for restoring vintage 80s and 90s bikes. I've done that myself, but its a hobby and these aren't my primary rides. Just something fun I (literally) sink my money into. But, IMHO, in this case, I'd sell the frame for 100$ to a hobbyist and put it towards a the Dual Sport you want. The Trek Dual Sports, Verves and FX bikes are all excellent.

The bike shop wants 350$ just for the work, then it'll need parts, etc. And at the end of the day, it'll cost the same money as that brand new Trek DS and you won't feel as excited about it as you would with a new bike.

Fixing up these old bikes is a hobby for folks like me, but I don't think that's what would be the best place for your money. Would be a shame to throw out the Trek, but either get 100$ or give it away. And get enjoy a new modern bike. Something that fits you and feels good when you ride.
Old 04-20-20, 11:24 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Lscico
I'm all for restoring vintage 80s and 90s bikes. I've done that myself, but its a hobby and these aren't my primary rides. Just something fun I (literally) sink my money into. But, IMHO, in this case, I'd sell the frame for 100$ to a hobbyist and put it towards a the Dual Sport you want. The Trek Dual Sports, Verves and FX bikes are all excellent.

The bike shop wants 350$ just for the work, then it'll need parts, etc. And at the end of the day, it'll cost the same money as that brand new Trek DS and you won't feel as excited about it as you would with a new bike.

Fixing up these old bikes is a hobby for folks like me, but I don't think that's what would be the best place for your money. Would be a shame to throw out the Trek, but either get 100$ or give it away. And get enjoy a new modern bike. Something that fits you and feels good when you ride.
Did you see the pic of the bike. It is about as clean as a 25 year old bike can be. At most, the thing looks like it needs some new tubes and a light tuneup.
Old 04-20-20, 06:40 PM
hb88banzai

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Memory is a funny thing...

That beautiful green/purple fade paint scheme along with the graphics pretty well peg it as a 1994 model per the catalogs, so not available until late 1993 at the earliest.

It was only one level up from the base model that year, and should have Trek Cro-Moly main tubes with high tensile stays and fork. Was also the middle of the GripShift fad, love 'em or hate 'em.

Last edited by hb88banzai; 04-20-20 at 09:40 PM.
Likes For hb88banzai:
Old 04-21-20, 02:24 AM
Bikerdave38

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy new

I would go online and shop around for a bargain, there are so many out there..you will need a small frame 50-52 cm
Old 04-21-20, 03:02 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Dk20 , I'm also 5'4", and I love my vintage bikes. My main ride is a 1992 mountain bike with 26" wheels, reworked into a sturdy steel street steed. '80s and '90s mountain bikes make excellent street bikes, especially for us shorter riders. I bought mine for $75 from a pawn shop, and put a lot of money into it (more than you would, as it was in rougher shape than yours), but it's a much nicer bike than I could buy new for the same amount.

With regards to leaning the bike to put your foot down, you haven't said whether you're sitting on the seat or standing over the top tube; this is vital information. When you're standing over the top tube, there should be at least an inch between the bike and your pubic bone (and I mean bone, not the fleshy bits hanging off it. ). If you're standing over the bike and have to lean, it's time for a new bike.

Edit: Yours is a very pretty bike that looks to be in excellent condition. I think your bike shop may be trying to rip you off. Find another bike shop and get a second opinion, or go with the other idea of fixing it up yourself; it wouldn't take much money, and you could still buy a new bike too. There's no rule that says you can only have one bike.

Last edited by Korina; 04-21-20 at 03:09 AM.
Likes For Korina:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.