Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New York ran out of bicycles

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New York ran out of bicycles

Old 05-20-20, 08:25 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
All the old vintage Japanese bikes I was advertising have sold. Yay!. (Even got rid of the "beast" for full asking price). Right now I'm advertising a bike that I picked up off the side of the road yesterday with a sign that said "make offer". Already got two hits from the Facebook ad. Hopefully will sell it in the next day or two.
Old 05-20-20, 09:02 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 349 Posts
My small shop in Minneapolis had 25 bikes ready to go in mid March and we sold out by mid April. Right now I’m selling complete overhaul packages and tune ups for people who bought bikes on Facebook Market Place and Craigslist who are finding out the hard way that the “tuned and ready to ride” isn’t exactly that. I have way more business than I can handle and shipping delays for parts, and especially tires, are very common. I have 20 some bikes or so in my inventory yet that I haven’t gotten around to getting sale worthy and for the third time in two weeks someone has come along and picked one out for me to move to the front of my priority list. They can’t even ride it or try it out. We agree on what the price is, and it’s a bit more than it would’ve been last year, then I get it ready within a week or so. If at the time it’s ready they decide not to buy it, then well, it’s work I needed to do anyway, I’m 3 for 3 though so it’s working out fine. My shop has a good reputation but It never occurred to me to try to pre-sell a used bike until I ran out stock. It probably wouldn’t have worked before now.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 05-20-20 at 09:07 PM.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 05-20-20, 09:19 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
I have a friend in NYC who rides his single speed bike across the Brooklyn Bridge. Are there hills in NYC ?
You missed it.
Old 05-20-20, 10:57 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
You missed it.
Old 05-21-20, 05:27 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 126 Posts
The "boss" talked me into riding more and collecting less a few years ago, and she is tough! Last year, though, was insane! I bought a whole new fleet of bikes. All were my size, almost all like new new, higher end, "holy grail" stuff, and (really, really) dirt cheap! VERY, VERY unusual situation. Never, ever experienced anything like it. Now the tide has turned. Got rid of almost the entire old fleet, and there are hardly any other bikes to be bought. The ones that are available are priced at twice what they are worth, and nothing that great. Thank goodness! I am "on the wagon". Both the "boss" and I are both happy. She's also an avid cyclist.

Last edited by cycleheimer; 05-21-20 at 05:33 AM.
Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 05-21-20, 06:28 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 155 Posts
Are they going to get upstate to pedal for them on hills?
Anyone who’s spent some time cycling in NYC knows that wisecracks like this are easily dropped.
Old 05-21-20, 06:39 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
And who is this guy?

Is he posing? And who is the guy in the fedora, bandana and sunglasses? Any other time, this is a stick-up. Are these two in cahoots?
Why that’s Nairo Quintana of course. Training in NYC to strengthen his COVID immunity. Looking for an advantage if the virus were to ravage the peloton later this year.
Likes For plonz:
Old 05-21-20, 07:48 AM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
and doing a scheme like this here could only make the shortage worse!!

https://www.masstransitmag.com/alt-m...rom-government
Old 05-21-20, 08:09 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 126 Posts
Are they going to get upstate to pedal for them on hills?
Upstate for hills in NYC = Yonkers.
Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 05-21-20, 08:14 AM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 69 Posts
Here in Chicago, my cat's veterinarian has a Play it Again used sports shop with tons of bikes next to it. There was a line of people outside the shop when I dropped them off, and a line when I came back to pick them up hours later.

Even if this sudden swell of people suddenly running errands and commuting by bike dies down in the next year or so, we'll "capture" a good chunk of people who find that they love riding and will continue. I hope that translates into more bike lanes, more advocacy, more safety, etc. in our city going forward.
Likes For bear_a_bug:
Old 05-21-20, 08:16 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
Yes, NYC has hills. Long ago, they actually flattened the lower half of Manhattan. That's where most tourists visit, so they think the whole city is flat, but it isn't. There are no very tall hills, but there are some very steep hills. There are even streets that span such steep inclines that switch to staircases and then back to streets.

The guy in the ball cap is Larry. He is about 80 years old now. He sold his shop and retired a few years ago and then got bored and opened his current shop. The location is ideal. It's near Central Park, Columbia University, and Harlem, so he gets all kinds of customers. He gave me my first job in 1978, and I also worked for him in the summer of 2014.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 05-21-20, 11:32 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
You got that right. My daily commute is plenty hilly and a great workout.

My local bike shop has been crazy here. Everything has been picked clean and the stream of customers is nonstop. Bikes in the queue to be repaired have taken the spaces where inventory previously sat. I am very pleased to see this turn of events for them and in general. Hopefully folks glean this as a positive outcome from this massive 2 month mess.

Last edited by greg3rd48; 05-21-20 at 11:35 AM.
Likes For greg3rd48:
Old 05-21-20, 12:24 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by bear_a_bug
Here in Chicago, my cat's veterinarian has a Play it Again used sports shop with tons of bikes next to it. There was a line of people outside the shop when I dropped them off, and a line when I came back to pick them up hours later.

Even if this sudden swell of people suddenly running errands and commuting by bike dies down in the next year or so, we'll "capture" a good chunk of people who find that they love riding and will continue. I hope that translates into more bike lanes, more advocacy, more safety, etc. in our city going forward.
I hope so. All of the major streets that had planters constructed down the center of them several years ago could have easily (and less expensively) been used for bike lanes.
Old 05-21-20, 01:53 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 217 Posts
I have, maybe seven or eight bikes I’d like to send on to new homes, but they’re in Chicago.

I’m in school, and my wife’s a musician.When everything went remote we were urged to evacuate to MI. Her folks have an in-law apartment where we were able to isolate for the 14 days. We drove from Manhattan so no airports or buses. This was back towards the end of February...

I know that makes me privileged and selfish and a bad American, but school shuttered it’s doors and grocery shopping in Manhattan meant physically brushing against many many people in the supermarket. Her folks insisted, and I was seeing the National Guard trucks coming through, and staying was looking more and more terrifying. It felt like if we didn’t get out of the metropolis soon, we might not be able too.

We had just moved to New York in January, so Diana could take some exclusive music development workshops and make some music theater connections in the Big Apple. She was already making real connections, was offered a gig with the national tour of Tootsie, and then it all ground to a halt.

Were in MI right now, figuring out if it’s going to be worth the cost of living to be in NYC post covid. I have to think it will be another year or so till we have a vaccine, and while things are opening back up we still need to distance and mask up for the forceable future. I worry about a second surge both as states are relaxing and when the weather cools in the Fall.

So now we’ve been in MI for seven weeks, we have a sublet in Manhattan, we are subletting the apartment we left in Chicago, and we are living a few towns away from Detroit. We have stuff in all these places, and we don’t know where we’re going to end up living.

I count my blessings, her folks are just the best, and we have a lot of space. Our living quarters are very generous and outside we’re in a beautiful area with trees and a river, and I’ve been doing a lot of gravel riding on the dirt roads.
I had stashed my two most valuable bikes here when we sublet the Chicago place, and when we split from NYC I made sure we brought Diana’s bike too.
There are far worse things than being stuck with your beautiful wife with her ‘88 Cannondale ST400 and you on your ‘83 Trek 720 having access to miles of fairly well maintained dirt roads!

Still, the uncertainty is a constant drain. If we knew we would be here long term, we could get our stuff from Chicago, if we knew we weren’t going back to New York, we could retrieve our things from Manhattan. Right now is a limbo, and our life is literally spread out between three states.

And I’m just going to say it, because you guys will understand...

I miss my bike hoard!

I know, I know...

Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 05-21-20, 04:41 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
I sold a bike last week, took it to the LBS for packing and shipping on Thursdsy. I was told that they are so busy that it wouldn't be able to get packed and shipped till the following Tuesday. Our local paper had an article that said bikes are the new toilet paper. With a garage full of bikes, my name is Steve, and I'm a hoarder. 😊

Last edited by Slightspeed; 05-21-20 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 06:42 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by jethin
Anyone who’s spent some time cycling in NYC knows that wisecracks like this are easily dropped.
Had nothing to do with cycling....
..... wanna buy a used ventilator? Plenty of them around. Bizarrely done world.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 05-21-20 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 06:50 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
I have, maybe seven or eight bikes I’d like to send on to new homes, but they’re in Chicago.

I’m in school, and my wife’s a musician.When everything went remote we were urged to evacuate to MI. Her folks have an in-law apartment where we were able to isolate for the 14 days. We drove from Manhattan so no airports or buses. This was back towards the end of February...

I know that makes me privileged and selfish and a bad American, but school shuttered it’s doors and grocery shopping in Manhattan meant physically brushing against many many people in the supermarket. Her folks insisted, and I was seeing the National Guard trucks coming through, and staying was looking more and more terrifying. It felt like if we didn’t get out of the metropolis soon, we might not be able too.

We had just moved to New York in January, so Diana could take some exclusive music development workshops and make some music theater connections in the Big Apple. She was already making real connections, was offered a gig with the national tour of Tootsie, and then it all ground to a halt.

Were in MI right now, figuring out if it’s going to be worth the cost of living to be in NYC post covid. I have to think it will be another year or so till we have a vaccine, and while things are opening back up we still need to distance and mask up for the forceable future. I worry about a second surge both as states are relaxing and when the weather cools in the Fall.

So now we’ve been in MI for seven weeks, we have a sublet in Manhattan, we are subletting the apartment we left in Chicago, and we are living a few towns away from Detroit. We have stuff in all these places, and we don’t know where we’re going to end up living.

I count my blessings, her folks are just the best, and we have a lot of space. Our living quarters are very generous and outside we’re in a beautiful area with trees and a river, and I’ve been doing a lot of gravel riding on the dirt roads.
I had stashed my two most valuable bikes here when we sublet the Chicago place, and when we split from NYC I made sure we brought Diana’s bike too.
There are far worse things than being stuck with your beautiful wife with her ‘88 Cannondale ST400 and you on your ‘83 Trek 720 having access to miles of fairly well maintained dirt roads!

Still, the uncertainty is a constant drain. If we knew we would be here long term, we could get our stuff from Chicago, if we knew we weren’t going back to New York, we could retrieve our things from Manhattan. Right now is a limbo, and our life is literally spread out between three states.

And I’m just going to say it, because you guys will understand...

I miss my bike hoard!

I know, I know...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bwvlbJ0h35A
40 cars in line at Starbucks. 200’ away a Burger King is deserted.

Maslow wept.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 05-21-20 at 06:53 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 05-21-20, 07:20 PM
grindher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Me too.

Originally Posted by top506
This.
I'm selling faster than I can bolt BSOs together and my regional manager says that there aren't more coming in the supply chain.

Same here. We can't build enough, fast enough.
The stores that I work at have plenty of bikes to be assembled. Atleast right now.
Do you work for an independent , or are you in house?
I'm in the Portland Oregon area.

Last edited by grindher; 05-21-20 at 07:22 PM. Reason: added word, corrected spelling
Old 05-21-20, 07:36 PM
jethin

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 155 Posts
Had nothing to do with cycling....
..... wanna buy a used ventilator? Well, it wasn’t actually used, but made a lot of noise.
Classy comment. And you're right, it has nothing to do with cycling.
Old 05-21-20, 07:46 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
I built my legs on hills in Yonkers
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-21-20, 07:48 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Just ordered a replacement fork for my mountain bike on amazon- guess I’ll have to install it myself
Old 05-22-20, 01:21 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
I've got a couple of bikes that I have been waiting until spring to sell. Now with Covid, my wife won't let me sell them because I might come in contact with someone. And I can't look for anything either, although why would I. The prices or too high.

Now is the time to sell.
Old 05-22-20, 01:27 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
don't worry in several months all those bikes will be for sale again . it will be really hard on shops as no one will need a bike for awhile I bet
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 05-25-20, 11:14 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
"N e w Y o r k C i t y...........just like I pictured it"
"skyscrapers and everything!"

Stevie just turned 70!

Stevie's top 20
Likes For sunburst:
Old 05-25-20, 11:28 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I've got a couple of bikes that I have been waiting until spring to sell. Now with Covid, my wife won't let me sell them because I might come in contact with someone. And I can't look for anything either, although why would I. The prices or too high.

Now is the time to sell.
I built up a much-too-large Motobecane frame that had been hanging for years. I did this specifically to take advantage of this market. Sold it easily in a couple of days for asking. Fixed up and listed a Peugeot mixte also, but my son and his gf - who are sheltered with me during these strange times - wouldn't let me, once they saw it and rode it. I had debated selling it for many years but that bike brings big smiles all around with its French heritage, great looks and ergonomics (Nitto Promenade bars). I've got my sights on selling my main grocery hauler next, another Peugeot, mid-80's. I've got 10 bikes but each one is special and brings something different to the road. Very hard for me to thin the herd even in this great seller's market.

Oh, one other thing, sold two sets of fixie wheels this week for full asking, and I asked a lot to allow for the inevitable bargaining. They just showed up and paid full price, one buyer saying there was nothing for fixies on craigslist right now.

For me, one of the pleasures of the shelter-in-place, and having my son and his gf home, is that between the three of us, we are regularly riding most of my vintage bikes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.