Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Your Experiences With Supplements?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Your Experiences With Supplements?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-20, 06:40 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I have genetic enemia
I'm tired after a hard day of work, and you don't want to know what I read that as.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-02-20, 06:52 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
My wife is convinced they work. I have genetic enemia and have tried iron supplements with marginal results. The problem is that I am on Thyroid medication so I have to be careful with iron or the leafy green stuff like spinach . Catch 22
Same. Low thyroid, anemia and osteopenia. I have to take my meds and prescribed supplements hours apart, since iron and calcium can interfere with thyroid meds. PITA. Hate to admit it but I'm going to need one of those daily dosage dispensers with times of day to remind me when to take which med and supplement. I try to remember to take the levothyroxine around 6 am when I get up to pee (or my fat tabby cat pounces me). But if I fall asleep again I may not remember whether I took it. So I don't remember whether to take a second dose, wait a few hours for the calcium and vitamin D, etc.

I'd like to blame aging but I've taken these for many years and it was just as hard to remember 20 years ago. But it's all more critical now so I need to get it right.
Old 10-02-20, 09:39 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
I don't disagree that bananas contain potassium but I've received no relief from legs cramps by consuming them.
You need to eat 7 bananas per day to reach your suggested intake of potassium. See: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34225517
Old 10-03-20, 07:22 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Not being able to get enough protein from food is one of the biggest lies ever invented by supplement manufacturers, it's a marketing strategy used by supplement manufacturers to sell more protein powder...In reality it is very easy to get more than enough protein from food. Protein deficiency doesn't exist and most people are already eating more than enough. Protein powder is not some magical substance that will build muscle. Foods such as meat, fish, dairy products, eggs are the foundation for building and maintaining muscle.
This is yet another false dichotomy (this website's specialty).

Many, many people use protein powder because they don't want to ingest protein other ways. Not because they can't get enough. Perhaps they don't like subsidizing factory meat farming, or are looking to address cholesterol issues - there are myriad reasons people seek alternatives in their diet(s).
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 10-03-20, 08:17 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Yeah, but can you still "ace" the Montreal Cognitive Assessment test? At least one allegedly Stable Genius boasts that it is the real test for proving good health.
Almost certain I could. Memory both long term and short term still excellent.
Old 10-14-20, 07:14 AM
Meflselo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been taking Omega-3s lately because I'm a vegetarian. for me as a person who does not eat meat and fish, the issue of food supplements is particularly acute. Some micronutrients and some amino acids I just can't get without meat and fish, but because of my moral views I can't eat meat and fish and I have to buy supplements and vitamin complexes. If you are looking for a quality store where you can order supplements, I advise you to pay attention to this site https://www.vitaminexpress.org/uk/. On it you can choose for yourself vitamins and supplements that will be related to maintaining health, which will strengthen the health of the joints, to maintain your cardiovascular system. There are also vitamins that can be taken during diet and weight loss. You can read about each vitamin complex, food supplement and compare prices with other sites and choose the best option for yourself. I have been using this site for a year and I am satisfied with the range of goods and service.

Last edited by Meflselo; 10-19-20 at 03:19 AM.
Likes For Meflselo:
Old 10-16-20, 10:41 PM
Yellowlab

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR8, 2017 Cannondale Slate 105, 2018 Trek Domane SLR 6, 2019 Specialized Allez Elite, 2019 Diamondback Release 3 29

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
I didn't take supplements most of my life, eating a varied diet of lots of veggies, some meats and fish, etc. Pretty healthy I think. I also have had a "minor" heart condition since at least early teenage years (early 40's now) called SVT. It is an electrical problem. Severity is different for everyone and it isn't typically fatal when you are young and healthy but when you have an episode it is scary as hell. You go from 60 bps to 160 bps in a single second and it feels like your heart is going to jump out of your chest while it also somehow magically pumps less blood so you can get very lightheaded and dizzy. Anyway this came and went for 25 + years until I read a study that had been done at a university regarding the effects of different oils in preventing stress induced SVT on rats. Olive oil, fish oil, flaxseed oil, etc. I figured what the hell and started taking fish oil and it immediately changed my llfe. I hardly ever have an episode anymore and when I do it is over before I even have time to get worked up over it. When I told my cardiologist 6 months later he said I was one of the lucky ones that benefit from it and that I did not need to come back and see him anymore unless I became symptomatic in the future. That was 3 years ago.

I also have another minor condition called interstitial cystitis. It can best be described as a mad bladder every now and then which can become extremely uncomfortable. Dr.'s were not a lot of help in diagnosing, much less treating it as it is fairly rare and there has not been much research to date. I found a small community online and after researching the advice I received I started taking Quercertin with Bromelain capsules once a day (with the fish oil) and I'm also completely symptom free.

This doesn't have much to do with performance, but I can say I am now a firm believer in the effects of supplements in the right conditions. I will also say anecdotally that when I put beet root powder in my shakes in the morning I feel like my stamina on the bike noticeably improves.

Last edited by Yellowlab; 10-16-20 at 10:52 PM.
Likes For Yellowlab:
Old 10-17-20, 12:41 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
beet juice , a plain multi vitamin mostly for extra vitamin d , and green tea , have allowed me to make a significant advance in ability , mostly in VO2 max , without extra training , i can feel it , its different from anything i have felt before .
i think if you look at supplements as a food source that has an effect on your body's chemical production you will be better off , ingest the things that support your body's ability to make blood cells , or testosterone , rather than just gulping down stuff in hopes it will just work .
Likes For Toespeas:
Old 10-17-20, 04:28 AM
dragoonO1

Bikes: My bicycles have two wheels.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I have a vitamin D3 supplement that I was prescribed with my daily cup of cheap drip coffee for my caffeine addiction. I add "protein powder" in my oatmeal because it's powdered peanut butter, and I like to eat peanut butter.
Old 10-17-20, 10:58 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
beet juice , a plain multi vitamin mostly for extra vitamin d , and green tea , have allowed me to make a significant advance in ability , mostly in VO2 max , without extra training , i can feel it , its different from anything i have felt before .
i think if you look at supplements as a food source that has an effect on your body's chemical production you will be better off , ingest the things that support your body's ability to make blood cells , or testosterone , rather than just gulping down stuff in hopes it will just work .
Beet juice is pretty amazing for endurance. Citrulline Malate will do the same thing.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 01-07-21, 04:38 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
The only supplements I take are calcium with vitamin D and B12. The calcium/D hs no effect. The B12 definitely helps my energy level, mood and sleep. I stopped taking it for a while due to having a very high level of B12 with my last lab work. I started taking it again 4 or 5 days ago and I have slept better the past couple nights. That alone, of course, helps the energy and frame of mind. I really have no valid comment other than that.
B 12 helps you sleep?
Old 01-09-21, 10:01 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Yeah, but can you still "ace" the Montreal Cognitive Assessment test? At least one allegedly Stable Genius boasts that it is the real test for proving good health.
Quite sure I could easily pass. I for instance dont use a book mark, it just remember what page I was on.
Old 01-09-21, 10:03 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by wolfchild
My caffeine addiction cost me less than $10 a month for a jar of instant coffee.
Here is some good advice. Never believe a politicians promises, and dont believe the guy on TV that says his instant coffee tastes just as good as fresh perked.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-09-21, 04:21 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Caffeine and Aspirin are my 2 favorites, work quite well, no adverse issues.
Tim
Old 01-09-21, 08:09 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Recovery hydration and calorie drink is important

Last edited by Camilo; 01-09-21 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-09-21, 08:49 PM
notthe1freeman
Bike Bum Extrordinare

Bikes: 1990s specialized hard rock ultra

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Eat well
sleep well
Hydrate.
and only a few beers.
thats it.
to add to this...I switched from Gatorade to body armors. Other than that...nothing
​​​​
Old 01-10-21, 06:39 AM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
My regimen:

1. Multivitamin One a Day
2. Vitamin k2
3. Magnesium
4. Pycnogenol (French maritime pine bark extract) and Centellicum Centella asiatica leaf (also known as Gotu Kola)
5. Omega 3.
6 Cocoavia
7. sulforaphane
8. Whey protein
9. 250mg ascorbic acid
Old 01-10-21, 09:40 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
One supplement that I have found works wonders for me is Sport Legs.
Old 01-10-21, 03:45 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
Beet juice is pretty amazing for endurance.
It's even better for filling tractor tires.

https://www.rimguardsolutions.com
Old 06-09-21, 01:08 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
the gains you think you are getting from supplements is all in your head, and that's ok if it makes you work harder, but the supplements in and by themselves do nothing, and any doctor will tell you that, and they'll also tell you that a well balanced food diet is all the supplements you need...unless your body doesn't absorb certain things in food but your doctor can tell you that with a blood test.

Plus you said you noticed gradual improvements over a 3 month period, well guess what? you were riding your bicycle, those improvements came from riding the bike regularly and not from the supplements.

Supplements can actually do more harm than good over the long haul:
https://healthfully.com/supplements-...r-6187990.html
https://www.self.com/story/taking-too-many-supplements
https://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/eff...any-vitamins#1

Some doctors might suggest taking a supplement, but guess what they suggest taking? a cheap once a day multivitamin. There are some good supplements that can benefit people, but mostly older people: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...ntial-benefits Some people have iron deficiencies need to take iron pills, but only under doctors care because you can OD on iron; certain older people need vitamin B12, but again a doctor will test to see if you are deficient in that area.
A PCP MD is pretty much the last person who's advice I would trust regarding supplements. The vast majority of them - from my experience (and I deal with alot of doctors) - are extremely ignorant when it comes to supplements, the science behind them, and the latest research and studies into their effectiveness. They simply don't have the time and in many cases the interest to stay on top of the field. My .02 cents.
Old 06-09-21, 06:43 PM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
Same

Caffeine is a drug, in my opinion. I'd much rather supplement and support digestion, metabolism, including the aiding of transportation and the break down of fats via amino acids.

C,D3 & K (those 2 go hand in hand), B12, B6, CoQ10, Cats Claw, Magnesium, fish oil, Chlorella

I don't buy into the whole Supplement mix game market BS though, take what is beneficial, take what you need. Take what you don't get in food anymore.

At the end of the month I have spent way less on supplements than most have spent on sports drinks, Not counting coffee etc...

L-lysine and Actyl-L carnitine have been very benificial, as has been SAM-e. SAM-e has been huge towards fighting tinnitus.

no this isn't an anti -coffee post, I like coffee, like I like black licorice. I just come from a place where I don't need coffee to function.

Lyme disease killed my enzyme production, so I also supplement super enzymes with my food.
don't forget creatine and aminos
gm
Likes For gringomojado:
Old 06-09-21, 06:48 PM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I'm a big believer in "Better Living Through Chemistry", and I take vitamin D3, B12 (sublingual), eye vitamins, multi vitamins for 55+ guys, vitamin C 1000mg and a potassium caplet daily. And a discreet amount of testosterone cream applied to a secret location on my person. More expensive pee? That's exactly what I'm going for.
what does "Lance" say about this?
gm
Old 06-09-21, 06:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
A PCP MD is pretty much the last person who's advice I would trust regarding supplements. The vast majority of them - from my experience (and I deal with alot of doctors) - are extremely ignorant when it comes to supplements, the science behind them, and the latest research and studies into their effectiveness. They simply don't have the time and in many cases the interest to stay on top of the field. My .02 cents.
There's no science behind supplements. The whole category of supplements was invented to get around requirements that drugs be proven safe and effective. They have to carry disclaimers that basically admit they don't do anything good. They're ersatz pharmaceuticals.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-09-21, 07:21 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
There's no science behind supplements. The whole category of supplements was invented to get around requirements that drugs be proven safe and effective. They have to carry disclaimers that basically admit they don't do anything good. They're ersatz pharmaceuticals.
Ohhh .. you're the troll .. er guy I mean that likes to pointlessly argue with people now I remember your handle.

Suffice to say there are literally thousands of peer reviewed scientific articles in numerous journals on supplements. You're clearly quite ignorant on this topic and I'm not going to waste any more of my time debating it with you.
Likes For tendency:
Old 06-09-21, 07:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
Ohhh .. you're the troll .. er guy I mean that likes to pointlessly argue with people now I remember your handle.

Suffice to say there are literally thousands of peer reviewed scientific articles in numerous journals on supplements. You're clearly quite ignorant on this topic and I'm not going to waste any more of my time debating it with you.
I'd bet money you wouldn't know a peer reviewed study if it bit you in the neck.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.