Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Will My Bike Float?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Will My Bike Float?

Old 10-30-20, 02:37 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Will My Bike Float?

(Apologies if this belongs in the general section, but I figured things are a little more 'technical' in here.)

So while taking the ferry with my bike, I sometimes like to think about, or plan for, what I would do in an emergency situation. Naturally this led me to consider the fate of my bike/bikes as well. The ferry I take does not allow bikes in the passenger cabin area, so they are generally left out on the front deck, and I never put mine on the racks provided (they flop and bang around...)

This brings me to my question: should something bad happen, would my bikes be able to float if they were free from entanglement? I know that the tires and tubes probably provide some buoyancy, but would it be enough to compensate for the weight of the bikes?

To make it a little more complicated, here are three spec levels that pretty much cover the range:
  1. Aprox. 25 lb steel frame, plastic fenders, 700 x 35c tires
  2. Approx 21 lb steel frame, 700 x 25c tires
  3. Approx 18 lb aluminum (or carbon) frame, 700 x 25c tires

Thoughts?
Old 10-30-20, 02:42 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Nope

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 10-30-20, 02:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
In any scenario in which this question is relevant, I think you will have more important things to worry about than whether your bike can float.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-30-20, 02:53 PM
rmacdona

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale ST600, 1988 Fisher Mt. Tam, 1989 Cannondale SR800, 1998 Cannondale T500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Sink like a brick...
Likes For rmacdona:
Old 10-30-20, 02:58 PM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Some of you guys never rode your Spyder bike into a lake off a homemade ramp built at the end of a dock, and it shows.
Likes For redcon1:
Old 10-30-20, 03:10 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Are you "nope" guys speaking from experience, or just hypothesizing? Both are fine, of course.

My father is a big boater so I grew up spending a lot of time around the water, and the buoyancy of some small objects can be impressive. That's what made me think it was impossible. And to be clear, I'm not necessarily expecting a strong bobbing around on the surface, but maybe frame down with just the contact patches of the wheels barely staying at the surface.

Originally Posted by Koyote
In any scenario in which this question is relevant, I think you will have more important things to worry about than whether your bike can float.
I thought it went without saying that this is really just a thought exercise, and I'm not going to risking my life, or anyone else's, for a bike. For a little more background, this ferry crosses the East River, which can get a nice little rip going but generally isn't particularly wide.
Old 10-30-20, 03:14 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Owned Three BOATs.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 10-30-20, 03:16 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
My bike has pretty big tubes, pretty big tyres, and is made from titanium. But, unfortunately, it has breathing holes in the frame tubing. I am certain it won't float. Just remember that if a bike weighs 15 kgs, it has to have at least 15 litres of air trapped to keep it from sinking. I am certain my bike won't float. At least for more than a minute.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 10-30-20, 03:24 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Down here we all float
Likes For August West:
Old 10-30-20, 03:32 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by CargoDane
My bike has pretty big tubes, pretty big tyres, and is made from titanium. But, unfortunately, it has breathing holes in the frame tubing. I am certain it won't float. Just remember that if a bike weighs 15 kgs, it has to have at least 15 litres of air trapped to keep it from sinking. I am certain my bike won't float. At least for more than a minute.
I was once at a Deep River Boat Ramp.
Divers were in the water.

A New 25 Ft Boat Owner with a Brand New Tahoe sank both of them.
Nothing Floated.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 10-30-20, 03:34 PM
robertorolfo

Oh, maybe I should have googled at bit first:

I know, it's carbon, but those are some skinny tires and it seems to be floating easily.
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 10-30-20, 03:48 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Oh, maybe I should have googled at bit first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48v9DHuKEH0

I know, it's carbon, but those are some skinny tires and it seems to be floating easily.
It also has stupid-deep dish wheels, and I'm betting every hole in that the frame, seatpost, handlebars etc. are closed up on purpose.
So, is your bike that light? Does it use foam tape on carbon handlebars, have a carbon seatpost and saddle and so on?
It's a question of displacement. In other words: Volume vs. weight. If the volume is bigger than the weight, it will float. If not, it'll sink.
And no, I'm not dipping my bike in saltwater or chlorinated water to test it. I'm not even doing it in fresh water. Salt water, btw, is more buoyant than fresh water. You do the test with your own bikes.
Hell, even my handlebars wouldn't float, but then they're not carbon (Ti), and they're not covered in foam.
Old 10-30-20, 04:14 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
Check these photos of the Amsterdam canals when they're drained for cleaning. https://www.google.com/search?q=amst...HVwGukTmYUY_RM
And video.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 10-30-20, 04:16 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
An experiment is the only way to be certain...
Old 10-30-20, 04:35 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Maybe.

Is it a Kona Humuhumunukunukuapua’a?

But I’d install a Fox Float just in case.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 10-30-20 at 04:40 PM.
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-30-20, 04:43 PM
robertorolfo

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
An experiment is the only way to be certain...
As CargoDane noted below, I'm not too keen on the idea of subjecting my bike to any variety of water. That's why I'm asking, otherwise I would have tried by now...

Originally Posted by CargoDane
It also has stupid-deep dish wheels, and I'm betting every hole in that the frame, seatpost, handlebars etc. are closed up on purpose.
So, is your bike that light? Does it use foam tape on carbon handlebars, have a carbon seatpost and saddle and so on?
It's a question of displacement. In other words: Volume vs. weight. If the volume is bigger than the weight, it will float. If not, it'll sink.
And no, I'm not dipping my bike in saltwater or chlorinated water to test it. I'm not even doing it in fresh water. Salt water, btw, is more buoyant than fresh water. You do the test with your own bikes.
Hell, even my handlebars wouldn't float, but then they're not carbon (Ti), and they're not covered in foam.
I realize it is carbon, but that isn't even close to sinking. As you might have seen, none of the bikes I asked about are anywhere close to 15kg, so I think it might be close. What is the volume of a 700 X 25c tire?
Old 10-30-20, 04:45 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

As CargoDane noted below, I'm not too keen on the idea of subjecting my bike to any variety of water. That's why I'm asking, otherwise I would have tried by now...

I realize it is carbon, but that isn't even close to sinking. As you might have seen, none of the bikes I asked about are anywhere close to 15kg, so I think it might be close. What is the volume of a 700 X 25c tire?
Not enough. Do you have waterproof deep-dish wheels?
As for 15 kilos - it doesn't matter. If it's 7 kilos, it has to displace 7 litres of water to float.
Old 10-30-20, 04:56 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
In all seriousness, if you are concerned you can buy a mast float that is normally attached to the top of a sailing dinghy. I’ve have used one when the wind picks up and the mast will take in water if it capsizes.

I think there are ones you can fold up and then blow up if you need to. For that matter any study inflatable bag will work. You will have to figure how much buoyancy you need. Maybe use a surf leash to keep the bike close when you’re in the water.

As others have said, you’ll have more important things to worry about, but...

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 10-30-20 at 05:03 PM.
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-30-20, 04:57 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Oh, maybe I should have googled at bit first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48v9DHuKEH0

In a still pool for a short period of time. There's a lot of volume in those carbon rims and the frame. The problem is that frame and rims aren't water tight, so once water starts getting in, it'll go down. Cars also "float" in a similar fashion.
Likes For gsa103:
Old 10-30-20, 05:03 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12632 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts

After the rims and frame filled up (this would take a while), it might have a tougher time floating. He might have specially prepared the frame to be water tight. Rims would be tougher (rubber washers on the nipples?).

I think once you get up to 2" tires on a 25-lb bike you have a good chance of floating the bike even if the frame fills up with water.

This bike weighs close to 50lbs and floats quite well with its 4" tires.

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 10-30-20, 05:06 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I think I have a test you can do: Take the wheels off, lube the wheels everywhere (and I do mean everywhere) with a good thick coating of silicone grease. Put them in a big homemade pool (with freshwater) or a kiddie pool or something. Do the wheels float by themselves?
Secondly, take your now wheel-less frame etc. Coat everything there with silicone grease too (also the internals of the shifters and whatnot, plug up all the holes of your frame (maybe do this before applying the grease). Does it float?

After that, use actual soap with no water contents to wash your bike. Bronner's is a good one.
When you are finished with that and you are sure every little bit of grease is gone (maybe you need to disassemble the thing), you use 99.9 % percent undiluted isopropyl alcohol to remove the soap (again, don't use water). After that you can regrease the parts that's supposed to be greased and put it back together again.

For an easier "test" that can't be taken as a positive ("yes it'll float") but certainly as a negative if it sinks is to vacuum bag the rims/tyres/nipples and the hub. If that sinks, then it will also sink without the vacuum bagging. If it floats, well, it might just be the added volume of the vacuum bagging.

Other than that, if you had a wheel you'd take apart anyway, you could tape the spokes to the rims, tape over the nippleholes and tape the hub with the holes tapes over onto the rim too. If it floats, then at least the wheels by itself will float. They have to float enough to make up for the solid and narrow tubes at the ends of the frame/fork.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 10-30-20, 05:12 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
It'll float, until it doesn't.
Likes For zacster:
Old 10-30-20, 05:19 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
In all seriousness, if you are concerned you can buy a mast float that is normally attached to the top of a sailing dinghy. I’ve have used one when the wind picks up and the mast will take in water if it capsizes.

I think there are ones you can fold up and then blow up if you need to. For that matter any study inflatable bag will work. You will have to figure how much buoyancy you need. Maybe use a surf leash to keep the bike close when you’re in the water.

As others have said, you’ll have more important things to worry about, but...

John
I think he should get this for himself (Switlik one-person liferaft):

And this for his bike (a packraft):

Old 10-30-20, 06:32 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Are you just curious about this as an academic musing or are you serious with your worry?

If the former, you can certainly determine for yourself empirically (or go through some rather ponderous calculations like I did on my boat to determine whether my buoyancy chambers were sufficient for my planned ballast).

If the latter, why not consider attaching a self-inflating CO2 float bag to your bike.

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
You must have one of those tinkly masts.

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 10-30-20 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-30-20, 07:34 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
If a typical steel frame with normal sized tires, no, it will not float.
Yes, this response is based on Practical Experience.
Signed,
Mr. Scuba

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.