Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Face Mask Recommendation Needed

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-20, 05:37 PM
KT323247

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, just curious if anyone has a face mask they'd recommend to use while riding? I am looking at the one from under armor, but they are pricy.

Thanks,
KT
Old 10-30-20, 05:41 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Take a look at Headsweats. They offer a bicycle theme and outdoor theme masks.
Old 10-30-20, 06:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Have you tried riding in a mask? A couple of friends did and it didn't work well for them. I carry one in my jersey pocket to wear if I have to go in a store or something.
Old 10-30-20, 07:02 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
Some of the "athletic" masks I've seen are designed to protect the wearer from pollutants and have “exhaust” valves for free exhalation, which would seem to defeat the entire purpose re SARS Cov2. If you’re going to ride with a mask, I would at least make sure it removes droplets on the way out
Old 10-30-20, 08:30 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
I wear one under my chin. I put it on in close contact stopped. I will not pace line except with the old woman. You need more than 50' separation at best, cycling is just nasty in a paceline. I cringe when I see it during the present situation.
Likes For popeye:
Old 10-30-20, 08:37 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
can I ask outside of maybe where the fires are, why you would wear a mask while riding, not prior to or after, I get that, but during?

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 10-31-20, 07:17 AM
reishi

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I was wearing masks before masks were cool. The n95 design holds most of the mask material away from the face so there's a nice large and warm air bubble to breath from . Wouldn't ride in the winter without one last year. Could be my unusually sensitive lungs so it really helps warming the air first and reducing the searing bite of inhaling the cold winter air. Get some curious questions from group riders but sometimes function has to beat form..
Likes For reishi:
Old 10-31-20, 07:26 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Mask for Covid... I don't wear one while riding. I avoid any place where i'd be in contact with people. I carry enough water and food that I might need. If I need a "nature" break, I have places where I can empty myself.

As for cold weather, I have a balaclava but only if temps are in the low 30s and lower.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-31-20, 10:39 AM
RandomDesign

Bikes: 2021 BMC Teammachine SLR Three

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by KT323247
Hi, just curious if anyone has a face mask they'd recommend to use while riding? I am looking at the one from under armor, but they are pricy.
Might want to read some of the reviews on the UA masks, a lot of people complaining about the fit, quality and that the wire is too thin and doesn't hold it's shape at all. I looked at them too but for the price I'd hope that more people that actually bought them would like them.
Old 10-31-20, 12:47 PM
billallbritten

Bikes: Trek 7500 FX (2005)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good point on pace lines. I've tried to make that around here. My last pace line ride was in early march. I'll ride with one, maybe two other folks, but no more. Only one shop around here is still doing open group rides. Stay safe.

Old 10-31-20, 08:11 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
I wear one under my chin. I put it on in close contact stopped. I will not pace line except with the old woman. You need more than 50' separation at best, cycling is just nasty in a paceline. I cringe when I see it during the present situation.
You cringe when watching the Tour de France, Vuelta, Giro, etc?
Old 10-31-20, 10:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts

Thanks,
KT
I have not seen a mask that i would suggest someone use while riding.
Every mask i have worn or seen would be uncomfortable to wear.
Old 10-31-20, 10:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Grand Tour riders and crews are tested frequently. I'd ride with them because the risk is relatively low. But several riders and crew members have tested positive and withdrew from the events.

Insiders at the Giro said precautions there were much more lax than at the TdF, surprising considering how hard Italy was hit in the spring. Specifically, they complained about people socializing in the hotels and dining areas without masks or distancing. And apparently it caught up with them. I noticed when Lawson Craddock withdrew from the Giro he cited the impending birth of a new baby, but he may have also considered the health risks after observing the alleged lax precautions behind the scenes at the Giro.

I haven't heard any mention about precautions at the Vuelta but at least publicly everyone appears to be observing reasonable precautions.

Most local folks I know who have continued group rides throughout this year haven't been tested at all. Because they're young and fit they probably won't experience problems. But they're risking infecting others who are vulnerable. Locally a trainer who works with local politicians had both elderly parents die from COVID-19, and the mayor, one of his clients, ended up either exposed or infected (the press release wasn't specific). Plenty of thoughts and prayers all around but nobody dared suggest that maybe the guy's indifference to infectious disease killed his parents.

Because of my age (62) and history of respiratory illness I usually quit participating in group rides every autumn as cold and flu season ramps up. I did so starting in October 2019 and never resumed any fast group rides. During the summer I joined a couple of casual group rides with close friends, but always took 2-4 weeks between rides to give myself time to show symptoms. And I stopped even those rides in September.

None of this surprises me. My own younger family members are indifferent to the pandemic, or outright denialists, and are unconcerned about the potential risk to their elderly family members.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-31-20, 11:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
FWIW, I've just worn the ordinary 3-ply surgical masks I already had on hand from working in health care. I never needed to stock up on anything. I wore masks for years on the job in health care, and full respiratory protection even in summer heat as a safety inspector. No problems.

Most respiration with surgical masks occurs around the mask, not through the material. The primary purpose of the surgical mask is to retain our own cooties from talking and breathing. Surgeons and assistants need to speak at least a little during operations, so the mask protects the patient.

If your primary concern is protecting yourself, get an N95 mask with an exhalation valve. It'll protect you better. Unless you're in a confined space or close proximity to others outdoors, there's relatively less risk to others.

During my urgent medical care appointments this year my doctors usually wore both an N95 and surgical mask over the N95. The surgical mask contains their exhalation aerosols. Due to a posterior vitreous detachment I needed two ophthalmology visits this year and I appreciate the doctor for taking precautions since the exams are in very close proximity. My ENT and immunology docs wore ordinary surgical masks but we were across the room from each other with no close contact so it was relatively low risk. Still, I'm surprised they didn't wear N95s because they're much more at risk than I am.

I avoid the MUP and ride mostly areas where I rarely see anyone else. When I have overtaken another cyclist, jogger or pedestrian there's plenty of room to pass safely. So I haven't found any need to wear a mask most of this year on bike rides or walks. The few times I did ride the MUP because it's a convenient shortcut, I just wore a surgical mask. No problems.

As a demonstration back in August on the hottest day of the year, 107F, I wore a surgical mask for an hour at a moderate effort. It was hot and I wouldn't care to do it routinely. But I had no problems breathing. I have asthma and chronic sinus inflammation (unrelated to any respiratory allergy or illness, just a side effect of an auto immune disorder). I'm 62. If I can do that, almost anyone can. Most complaints are about discomfort, not actual hazards.

Some complaints are just fabricated BS excuses. Military veterans my age are the worst. Hard to believe any of them managed to make it through boot camp or any tour of duty, considering how much they complain and refuse to wear masks to medical appointments at VA facilities. We went through much more difficult stuff in service, compared with a 3-ply bit of fabric.
Old 11-01-20, 04:55 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
This is what I have. But, I don[t wear any mask when cycling. It doesn't fog up.

https://rzmask.com/collections/trade.../black-m2-mask
Old 11-02-20, 05:03 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I wear a mask while riding, but I’m doing so in Manhattan, where there’s always people around, be it in traffic or stopped at an intersection. I’ve ended up doing shorter rides at less effort this year, partially due to mask discomfort. If I were able to go outside and not see people, I probably wouldn’t mask up for the whole ride. I also stay away from the heavily trafficked paths when there’re lots of cyclists - difficult to stay 40ft (or more) back.

Here’s hoping the latter half of 2021 will be better.
Old 11-03-20, 07:43 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Only when watching the crashes.
Old 11-04-20, 11:19 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I cringe when I see locals pacelining, though it's uncommon. Mostly I see singles or couples. I wear a cotton bandana which I pull up for casual, socially distant conversations, meeting other riders, etc. I carry an N95 for grocery stops and that sort of thing. Around here, if one pulls up a mask, the other person usually will also. The cotton bandana is medically pretty good. Tightly woven cotton will catch a lot of stuff, but it's not great with aerosols, not like an N95.
Old 11-04-20, 11:51 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts

Thanks,
KT
Must be a PITA to wear a mask when pushing high wattage. O2 intake is so restricted.

I only carry one when I am planning on stopping in a coffee shop or in a restaurant. If that's the case, I put it a plastic bag that I put it inside one of my jersey's back pockets. If I were to use one while riding, I'd buy one of these ''training rated'' ones.
Old 11-04-20, 12:16 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
There are no magic cloth masks. Anything that lets you breath is letting air in somewhere. The under armour for example lets air in around the top under your eyes and around the top of the nose....I have one I know. There is no way you are going to breathe if the under armour mask is actually sealed around your face.

If you must wear a mask while riding, look for one that is shaped in a way that it keeps the material away from your mouth and nostrils. In other words giving you a little space in there.
Old 11-04-20, 08:28 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
People wear masks while riding ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 11-04-20, 08:47 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4382 Post(s)
Liked 3,015 Times in 1,864 Posts
Lots of people around here riding in pacelines, and though I avoid them, I don't know of any cases of transmission. (Does anybody here know of any?). It seems to be safer than some of the scare stories we got in the spring, which is not to say that I know it's risk-free. I don't know that and therefore I avoid them. I'm more cautious than many of my riding friends.

Riding with a mask can be challenging - particularly if you're wearing glasses. There's no gain in safety if the air is well filtered and your glasses are wholly fogged..

Except for the guy riding in Manhattan (totally understand that situation), I'd think avoiding big pace lines and having a mask around your neck that you can pull up for close encounters would be about the right level of caution.
Old 11-05-20, 06:33 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
I know this will bring opprobrium down on my hairless little head, but I have been doing small group rides (2-10 people) in loose bunches and pacelines since the initial panic wore off in the summer. I know of no cases of transmission between cyclists and the amount of air movement is probably a mitigating factor, but there is clearly a theoretical risk. The risk-benefit tradeoff seems favorable to me for various personal reasons. That could change in a devastating wave in the next month or so. If I had to wear a mask, I would probably stop working out on the bike and ride only for transportation or gentle amusement on flat ground.

Just a reminder of doctrine which is that standard masks are used to reduce and deflect the direct stream of (potentially virus-laden) aerosol we exhale into others' breathing space, not to protect the wearer. Also, there is physical evidence that neck gaiters, bandanas, and other loose cloth face coverings do not block aerosols well and can even atomize droplets on the way out, making them more dangerous.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 11-08-20 at 04:37 PM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 11-05-20, 08:53 PM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
I really like the mask by Outdoor Research. It costs $20 which is a lot, but it works well to reduce foggy glasses. I don't use it while riding, but I have used it during some recent short track speed skating practices.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/face-mask-kit-283298

David
Old 11-08-20, 01:43 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
You know, you could just keep your mouth closed and breathe through your nose. That'll keep you from spreading droplets all over. If you're working hard enough to require breathing through your mouth, then a mask isn't going to work anyway. Bring a mask around your neck and pull it up in case you need to stop and talk to someone (= open your mouth).
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.