Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Was Your Best Score?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What Was Your Best Score?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-20, 11:55 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Off topic post!

Originally Posted by JJScaliger
119,200 on Galaga at a sandwich shop last year. Won $10 off my buddy. Beat him a month later at Chelo's, but score not as good.
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
With or without knowing the secret code where you let that one ship pass you like 20 times before you kill it, and then they don't shoot at you any more?
Video game score scores.

So, I had a Space Duel arcade game at my house for a while, it was a successor to asteroids, the arcade by my house as a kid had it, and I was half decent at it. So, I sold it to a guy in Denver, he had a dozen games in his basement, I dropped the game off as I was working there. I told him I was pretty proud of my high score on the machine (this machine remembers high scores even if it gets unplugged), he asked what it was, and was totally dismissive of it and informed me that he'd have it beat in short order, huh, well.... So I texted him 3 months later, nope, he still hadn't beat it. So I texted him another 3 months later, nope, still hadn't beat my score, so I waited another 6 months, and texted him, and he admitted that my score was a right proper high score and he likely wouldn't be able to beat it. So, as of now, that is still *My Machine*, it just happens to be in his basement! He invited me to come play games next time I'm in Denver, but I'm never out that way, especially since I don't live in Idaho anymore, but it would be fin to go rattle off some game on my old machine...
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 11-19-20, 12:49 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
My best score is nowadays commonly known as Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, which that Mozart dude stole from me when he was playing keyboards in the rock band I was fronting in highschool, then he took back to the 18th century in his time machine. I don't know where he got that time machine.

Anyway, I'm still pretty sore about it.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 11-19-20, 01:54 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 987 Times in 519 Posts
My Zunow, #298

As found

After fixing
It still needs a top tube replacement
Old 11-19-20, 03:17 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
sorry i don't have any photos like you guys, but in terms of bicycles....a '98 bontrager privateer and an '85 schwinn super le tour. both all original and both for $5 each

oh, and two '83 univega gran turismos. acquired years apart of each other, but both also original....and gifted!

aaannd, i guess a '93 mongoose 625 crossway for $15 and yokota grizzly peak for $25 kinda counts

i suppose i've had a number of "best scores". doesn't include the several free vehicles..lol

Last edited by thook; 11-19-20 at 03:26 AM.
Old 11-19-20, 01:48 PM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 368 Posts
$12.95 at Goodwill, a long time ago when old bikes were old bikes...
1984 Olmo Competition

It was sitting there filthy with sew-ups wrapped around the frame, and I thought it was brown until I was loading it into the truck.
It started to turn red then, as it was obviously in mourning for its unknown, original owner.

Last edited by Chuckk; 11-20-20 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-19-20, 02:40 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
This is a really difficult question to answer. The cheapest? The best? The most exotic? My safest investment? My favorite ride? All of these would yield different answers.

I chose the one which gave me the greatest satisfaction so far. Which is a rather lowly Mercier 100 mixte @randyjawa was offering in C&V Sales a few years ago. I fell in love with it, and his price was very reasonable, but by the time it was shipped to me and I was done with it, it was my most expensive bike.

Yet seeing mrs non-fixie enjoying the bike and the attention she got wherever she appeared with it was more than worth the trouble and the money. Yes, definitely my best score so far.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 11-19-20, 05:01 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Picked these two up with a bag of barely unused Campy tools, several NOS/NIB campy NR parts, tubulars, books and magazines, assorted other stuff for $1k total.

I wouldn't call it "cheap", but I made half my money back on just some of the parts and misc items. I don't feel comfortable publicly disclosing what the bikes went for, but I felt enough guilt I tried to go back to the guy and give him another thousand, and can confidently say it wouldn't have hurt much if I had.

The bikes were so unused, the brake calipers still had the cardboard spacers on them.

Likes For francophile:
Old 11-19-20, 05:59 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,463 Times in 1,130 Posts

I don't know about my best, but these are my most recent, given to me by an old friend.
Actually I'm not joking. These early Stronglight bolts and caps are very tough to find and very pricey when found. They are just what I need for my Stronglight 57 crankset recently acquired from a forum member.
Now I just need to find the right tall late fifties frame so I can build a bike around these!
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 11-19-20, 06:31 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I’ve had some good luck with components, but I think my favorite score so far has been this Campania frame that was a freebie from Nextdoor. It had several good components on it, like a Phil Wood bottom bracket and SR Royal seat post, but the frame itself has proven to be a sleeper. Lately, it’s the one I’ve ridden most.

And also this Cyclone rear that came from the co-op for $2.50.

Old 11-19-20, 07:21 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Got both bikes for free. 1980 something Nishiki. 2010 carbon fiber Team Fuji. These are "after" pictures. (They were in rough condition when I got them).

Likes For ramzilla:
Old 11-19-20, 09:02 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
$375 and a two hour round trip

$300 and a three hour round trip

$200 and a three hour round trip

Likes For jet sanchEz:
Old 11-22-20, 10:03 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Yelbom15
Curious what deals you guys have come across?
1972 Disc Orange Karate - Wife bought for me, $14 at a church rummage sale. (I still pray for forgiveness...after all I effectively 'stole' from a house of God...)
Likes For montclairbobbyb:
Old 11-23-20, 08:47 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,463 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz

Ooh! My kind of Cinelli, tall and not too pristine and precious.
Brent
Old 11-23-20, 08:55 AM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts

Underneath my rattle can paint job and Paul Wellstone memorializing decal is a Trek 730 Multitrack that a neighbor gave to me for free. If not for that, I probably would never have started messing around with old bikes. It’s given me a new hobby that is really great foer my mental health, though not necessarily for my bank account. I’ve now recognized that it’s a bit large for me and I’m working on its successor. But this bike was definitely a score.
Old 11-23-20, 12:17 PM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I needed some very short-reach sidepulls for my trike, and found the rare model required in the junk bin at my LBS.
I'm still most pleased by the negotiations to buy my Jeunet 12. I had ignored it for a month of shopping because the chain dragged on the front derailleur in granny gear. The store, which did frame-building on site, said that there was no non-dragging model available. I pointed out that they had one in a Huret Jubilee set on the wall. He said they didn't want to break the set, but would if I won the bet about it fitting. So, I got the lightest as well as the longest.
Old 11-23-20, 12:21 PM
stephr1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Back in the '70s (in my mid-to-late teens) I picked up a Lime Green (think that was the shade of green) Schwinn 10-speed for $35 in fairly good shape. Owned it for ~3 months. One afternoon I rode it over to my future wife's parents' place (a few blocks away) and parked it between the parents' car and the garage door. The parents went out to get dinner and I didn't even think about the bike being exposed when they left. The house was right across the street from a local park.

When the parents returned, they were surprised to see me still there. When I asked why, they replied that my bike was gone I ran outside to look for it, but it was long gone.

I never really liked her dad and the future wife has long been an ex (30+ years) but neither was because of the loss of the bike.
Old 11-23-20, 02:04 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
$262.50 Jack Taylor

I paid $262.50 for my 1986 Jack Taylor Super Tourist frame, fork, racks, headset and a TA BB.

It had been given, lightly used, to a local executive as a retirement present, by an English friend he had toured with. He never built it up as it weighed 1/2 pound more than his Trek frame. He said now he was "free to sell it" as the friend had died. So I didn’t feel the least bit guilty that he didn't know what it was worth.

Almost every component I built it up with had been given to me way back when they were obsolete, but not yet collectable. Including low milage Campag derailleurs, Mafac Tandem canti brakes, TA canvas h'bar bag & 160mm TA cranks. The hammered LeFol fenders were from a ’64 Jack Taylor tandem. The owner, who’s had the tandem since new, had taken them off them as they were too heavy & bulky. He gave them to me because he thought they were just right for the Taylor. Brake levers and SunTour Bar end shifters were from a bike someone was throwing away. Even after buying tires, cables, H2O cage and a Brooks Pros "S" from Ebay I still have well under $500 invested.

The cyclometer is a metal bodied Lucas, given to me with zero miles by the widow of a friend, who never got to use it. The wheels, w/Campi hubs & Super Champion Mod 58 rims, were also from one of his bikes. While riding with another old geezer he commented that he’d not heard the sound of an old “TikTik” in many years. I replied that it was rather pleasant, but that I’d always found it annoying back in the day. He said, “That’s because now it’s going tik..tik..tik..tik, but 30 years ago we made them go TikTikTikTikTik.”

Freebies: I don't know why, but people give me bikes, including;

1950 Norman roadster

1964 British Merlin - Reynolds 531 road bike with a Sturmey FM 4 speed

1973 Ladies Raleigh Sport in showroom condition, with paint to match my similarly nice men's '73 (Both now have S5 hubs and mostly alloy components)

1976 Raleigh Super Course Mk II

1983 Fuji Touring Series IV - It had been used for 1 tour of about 1,200 miles, then sat in a basement for 30+ years, collecting copious grime but no corrosion.

2015 Bacchetta Corsa 700 recumbent with about 500 miles on it and many upgrades.

1964 Robin Hood 3 speed (Now with an S5 hub.)

1985 Trek 720 frame & fork

1970s Fuji Newest with nearly perfect Campi brakes, levers and pedals.

20?? Iron Horse MTB
Likes For MnHPVA Guy:
Old 11-23-20, 03:28 PM
semroc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 62 Posts
Great thread. Beautiful bikes everyone. I guess this counts as a score. My most cherished bike. Early 1980's Rossin. My Dad raced on it in the 80's. He just gave it to me. Rides nice. Family heirlooms rule!

Likes For semroc:
Old 11-23-20, 04:13 PM
Billhpeloton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Best Vintage Score

It’s been a while since I’ve done it but I spent years acquiring and selling vintage bicycles and components, mostly on eBay. I was fortunate enough to make some good scores but my best, by far, was two Frejus bicycles: a road bike and a track bike. The lead came from a friend of a friend whose father had owned the bikes. He had bought both, new, to use to qualify for the 1964 Olympics. Apparently he almost made it but didn’t qualify. The bikes were then put in storage in a dry basement until I purchased them. Both were gorgeous; the road bike even had the original shop tags. I sold them to a Japanese collector. They were too small for me but I have often wished I’d kept both. At the time I was a pretty dedicated cyclist and wasn’t’ the Into owning something just because it was pretty. The only picture I can find is the track bike.
Old 11-23-20, 04:14 PM
Billhpeloton

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Best score

Don’t qualify to post pictures so I’ll make a couple of spurious posts to get up to 10
Old 11-23-20, 04:16 PM
Billhpeloton

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Gorgeous! Back in the day I really coveted one of those
Old 11-23-20, 04:18 PM
Billhpeloton

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Billhpeloton
It’s been a while since I’ve done it but I spent years acquiring and selling vintage bicycles and components, mostly on eBay. I was fortunate enough to make some good scores but my best, by far, was two Frejus bicycles: a road bike and a track bike. The lead came from a friend of a friend whose father had owned the bikes. He had bought both, new, to use to qualify for the 1964 Olympics. Apparently he almost made it but didn’t qualify. The bikes were then put in storage in a dry basement until I purchased them. Both were gorgeous; the road bike even had the original shop tags. I sold them to a Japanese collector. They were too small for me but I have often wished I’d kept both. At the time I was a pretty dedicated cyclist and wasn’t into keeping something just because it was pretty. The only picture I can find is the track bike.
Likes For Billhpeloton:
Old 11-23-20, 04:32 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
What was your best score?

300 on the PFT, 4 years running.
267 at Midway Lanes, sober.
2:20:57 for 26.2, 29:39.12 10K, 14:39 5K
235 at the range, rifle. Can't remember the pistol. 7-years Expert on both.
102 on a par 72. Yes, I admit it. First time I had any balls left, too.

Pretty good at Galaga, better at Space Invaders, sucked at Pac-man.

Oh.
Bikes? My girl's NOS Guerciotti, but I agreed not to disclose the price.

2016 Cipollini Logos with SRAM Force 1x11 and 2 sets of wheels (Roval CL60 and Bontrager RXXXL) for $1100.

Bike wheels---$400 for a set of 8-sp Eurus and 9/10/11-sp Eurus from CL in Cary NC

For every good score, I guarantee I've overpaid ten.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 11-24-20 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-23-20, 04:54 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by montclairbobbyb
1972 Disc Orange Karate - Wife bought for me, $14 at a church rummage sale. (I still pray for forgiveness...after all I effectively 'stole' from a house of God...)
No expert by any means but guess I'll show my ignorance, never knew these came in a disc version.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-23-20, 05:22 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
No expert by any means but guess I'll show my ignorance, never knew these came in a disc version.
Yes, 72 & 73 models. Klunky and heavy mechanical rear disc; functionally awful but hugely collectible.
Likes For montclairbobbyb:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.