Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Once Competitive Always Competitive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Once Competitive Always Competitive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-20, 11:18 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
OP, you're using cyclists in front of you as motivation, not competing with them.
This is how I look at it as well.

Particularly on hills. I can ride 6-7 hours easy at a decent (18-20mph on my recumbent, 22-24 in the velo) pace on level ground, but as soon as I start going into hills where higher output is needed, I poop out fast. I try to push myself, but it's a little easier if there's something to chase that I can see.

It also helps that I can usually catch even a fast rider once it levels out, at least in the velo.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 12-16-20, 11:53 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3951 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
It's an especially weird affectation, given that bike racing is not difficult: all you have to do is get out of bed early and show up, pay a few bucks, and ride your bike -- and you're an actual "bike racer."
Bike racing not difficult??? Getting out of bed early makes it very difficult!
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-16-20, 11:57 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Bike racing not difficult??? Getting out of bed early makes it very difficult!
That was my main motivator to cat-up, was not having to race crits at zero-dark-thirty.
Likes For caloso:
Old 12-16-20, 02:11 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I would call that the closest thing cycling has to a meet cute if it were in a rom-com.
Sadly, I'm a straight male, and women seldom engage in that "competition". 😄
Old 12-16-20, 04:21 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Suppose I'm riding at my normal pace and someone passes me. He's not going a lot faster, so I say, hey, don't mind if I draft you? That's OK, he answers. So I follow him and he begins to up the pace, looking back a couple of times to see if I'm still there. I struggle but keep at his wheel. He tries to drop me but he can't. He eases up a bit, now it's my turn. I pass him and the play begins again. This stretch of road leads to town, there's a big billboard at the entrance. We slow down a bit, looking at each other. With 80 meters to go we start the sprint. Any one of us wins. We smile and say good bye.
How would you call that?
In the movie-making business, that's a meet-cute. The network will then option your story for 2 or 3 seasons.

Good job!

Edit: and right after is mstateglfr with the same idea.

Last edited by Unca_Sam; 12-16-20 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-16-20, 05:41 PM
pattrick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Man, did not expect that response

If you feel you need to chase that is fine. If you need to pass me that is also not a problem. But I still have a bit of a competitive nature and if I feel inclined I will give you something to try and chase. Yes I do feel it is somewhat impolite not to at least nod your head, lift a finger or show any sign that there is another biker present. In my area we are far and few. Maybe it's an age thing with manners. But if it was all about the chase I can only feel they were fine with the competition.
Old 12-16-20, 05:59 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by pattrick
If you feel you need to chase that is fine. If you need to pass me that is also not a problem. But I still have a bit of a competitive nature and if I feel inclined I will give you something to try and chase. Yes I do feel it is somewhat impolite not to at least nod your head, lift a finger or show any sign that there is another biker present. In my area we are far and few. Maybe it's an age thing with manners. But if it was all about the chase I can only feel they were fine with the competition.
I get the feeling you've told at least one woman that she'd be a lot prettier if she smiled more.
Likes For caloso:
Old 12-16-20, 07:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
I think all of this arguing about how to greet (or not greet) other riders is probably location-specific. I've lived in an area that was thick with cyclists -- Colorado's Front Range. On a sunny Saturday, I might see several dozen other cyclists on a 50-mile ride. I still think a nod or a slight wave is polite, but not everyone does it, and there were probably times when I didn't either.

Since then, I've lived in more rural areas -- where, on the rare occasion I spot another cyclist, I will chase him/her down (or slow down, whatever) to introduce myself and chat a bit. I think it's happened four times in the past three years.
Old 12-16-20, 07:50 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I think all of this arguing about how to greet (or not greet) other riders is probably location-specific. I've lived in an area that was thick with cyclists -- Colorado's Front Range. On a sunny Saturday, I might see several dozen other cyclists on a 50-mile ride. I still think a nod or a slight wave is polite, but not everyone does it, and there were probably times when I didn't either.
I agree. On some of the popular bike routes here in the Chicago area, I'd look like one of those Bobblehead dolls if I nodded at every cyclist.
Old 12-16-20, 08:34 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I agree. On some of the popular bike routes here in the Chicago area, I'd look like one of those Bobblehead dolls if I nodded at every cyclist.
At Paris-Brest-Paris 2019, the first finisher commented after the ride he was glad when night finally fell during his return to Paris. Usually people prefer riding in the light, but he was getting tired from waving at the approximately 4,999 people still headed to Brest.

So basically, dude drops 5,000 people on the way out, then waves at them all on the way back.

To put icing on the cake, of the front runners who treat PBP as a race, he was the only one who did not have a support crew. He seriously kicked some butt.
Old 12-17-20, 06:06 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
At Paris-Brest-Paris 2019, the first finisher commented after the ride he was glad when night finally fell during his return to Paris. Usually people prefer riding in the light, but he was getting tired from waving at the approximately 4,999 people still headed to Brest.

So basically, dude drops 5,000 people on the way out, then waves at them all on the way back.

To put icing on the cake, of the front runners who treat PBP as a race, he was the only one who did not have a support crew. He seriously kicked some butt.
But was it a real race? Or was he just pretending it was?
Oh wait...
Old 12-17-20, 02:47 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Originally Posted by Reynolds
But was it a real race? Or was he just pretending it was?
Oh wait...
It is legally and by rule not a race. There is a maximum speed, beyond which you'll have to wait at a control point until it opens. There is no winner, and finishers are listed alphabetically.

But then you talk to someone from the front group, and they'll tell you it is absolutely a race. And we have what we call the first finisher.
Old 12-17-20, 11:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Sounds like you were a legit Cat 6 racer.

Look it up.
More like Il-legit. But did belong to the CASCADE ANIMAL TRAINING SERIES which was the best of the best non-racer types. What’s the saying? Never so good as I was then.

Last edited by rsbob; 12-18-20 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-19-20, 07:46 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
What does this even mean? How are you competing against someone that isn't competing against you?
Sometimes he is, sometimes not. Either way it doesn't matter, because you're not competing with him - you're competing against a goal which you set arbitrarily.

I do get your attitude. It could feel like it's demeaning to formal competition, actual wins that took talent and hard work to achieve, when someone refers to a casual chase as competitive. But you need to realize that no one is making that comparison. Maybe one rare guy, who has no idea what real competition is about or what it takes and has some Dunning-Kruger going on but that's not what anyone is talking about here. Literally no one is comparing a chase-down to an actual race.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 12-19-20, 08:17 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Maybe one rare guy, who has no idea what real competition is about or what it takes and has some Dunning-Kruger going on but that's not what anyone is talking about here. Literally no one is comparing a chase-down to an actual race.
I think there are multiple people in this thread that are doing just that. The OP even qualifies his "racing" with statements that others think he can "start as a Cat 3".
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 12-19-20, 10:10 AM
Reflector Guy

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Sometimes he is, sometimes not. Either way it doesn't matter, because you're not competing with him - you're competing against a goal which you set arbitrarily.

I do get your attitude. It could feel like it's demeaning to formal competition, actual wins that took talent and hard work to achieve, when someone refers to a casual chase as competitive. But you need to realize that no one is making that comparison. Maybe one rare guy, who has no idea what real competition is about or what it takes and has some Dunning-Kruger going on but that's not what anyone is talking about here. Literally no one is comparing a chase-down to an actual race.
And missing in this whole thread is the long-distance rider, which I'd say makes up the largest group of riders I see on a typical day. Even when we were kids, the goal was not to go faster than ever before but to go further. If I'm riding 20 or 50 or 100 miles, I don't want to burn out at Mile 5 because I was hell-bent on chasing some random guy ahead of me (who was riding at a comfortable pace for his own 20, 50 or 100 mile ride). And if I DO catch and pass him, there's no telling if he's on Mile 1 or Mile 99 or whatever.
Old 12-19-20, 05:42 PM
downtube42

Recreational chase-downs are to racing what BF threads are to real life discussions.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 12-19-20, 06:28 PM
Marylander

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I was never competitive minded even when I was racing. I just enjoyed hanging out, the team rides, being in pretty good shape, and getting out for the races. Someone has to be in the middle of the pack and I was happy to be that guy.
Likes For Marylander:
Old 12-19-20, 10:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Recreational chase-downs are to racing what BF threads are to real life discussions.
And you are here because?

Old 12-21-20, 12:18 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
I did the same for 30-40 years then realized I like a ride no matter how fast I’m going. A nice 12-15 mile ride in an hour makes me happy and I’m fresh to do it again tomorrow if I feel like it.
Old 12-21-20, 12:38 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Yes, I often notice competitive cyclists attempting to catch me.
Old 12-21-20, 12:55 PM
Reflector Guy

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Yes, I often notice competitive cyclists attempting to catch me.
Do they randomly shout at you for no reason?
Old 12-21-20, 01:16 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
In auto racing it’s called the ‘red mist’ and it’s the urge to compete and excel. I know there is a good percentage on this board, who ride strictly for the pleasure, fitness, etc, and have zero issue with it. I also know they will comment here even if this thread doesn’t pertain to them, such being the nature of forums.

In my 30s I was an aggressive rider but when I rode, I rode hard and would chase down anyone I could, even momentarily just to catch them. Now in my mid-60s I still am unable to lose that drive to chase, but now don’t catch but back off.

I do it because I think it’s fun, no matter how painful it can be at times. I like to test myself and push myself. I know this is MY thing. No judgement (Others I am sure will add theirs )

Just wondering how many ‘mature’ (heh) riders still have that drive and how many have given it up and moved on and continued cycling for other reasons?

What’s your story?
I'm a former collegiate runner. 4:09 miler and a barely sub 30 10K runner. Fast forward some 30+ years and that racing urge is a hard thing to curb. Of course, I don't run anything like that anymore but for some reason when I'm on a bike if someone goes by me, I just have to give chase. Sometimes I can back off ok. Other times not so much.
Old 12-21-20, 01:20 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Do they randomly shout at you for no reason?
Beats me. How would I hear 'em over my ear buds?
Old 12-21-20, 02:01 PM
Stan Heinricher

Bikes: 1978 Serotta road bike, 2011 Dahon 7-speed

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I ride an old steel frame, and I'm pretty old myself (70), so I spend my cruising time (48x20 on flat roads) enjoying the fresh air of the Atlantic Ocean and the thought, as I ride, of having seen my racing days gone by. These days, no numb hands, no numb feet, no numb nether region of the body -- just breathing the air that moves the fronds of palm trees. Doubtless this point of view seems overly tame to guys succumbing to the red mist. But what can be done with decreased heart rate and a spaghetti-like frame (relative to modern frames)? I see young guys cranking away on their ultra-stiff specialissima frames, and I bid them adieu: I was them 40 years ago. It's a relief to recognize that the racing phase of life is over.
Likes For Stan Heinricher:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.