Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C&V people indoors.....and the arms race rant.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C&V people indoors.....and the arms race rant.

Old 12-11-20, 01:11 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Mac Pro is a $5000+ computer w/o the monitor for the base model and generally comes with a top of the line graphics card and 8-core Xeon processor. Even an old one should sure as hell be able to run Zwift at the max settings without a problem.
Im guessing he meant MacBook Pro. But you never know.
Old 12-11-20, 02:39 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
So, devil dog, just another year for one of the few and the proud?.....you and nomadmax should compare notes on 2020.
Just another day in the Corps, where every day is a holiday, and every meal a banquet......If @nomadmax has had worse, he has my total empathy. At least we have avoided the Covid plague, so far. Only great thing is absolutely no weight gain for the entire year, even though my cycling mileage and time has really dropped off a cliff, and into a canyon. Couldn't even do a Birthday Ball, not that the local MATSG/companies or training battalion had one. I had to go through the kidney stone beginning of 10 Nov 20, and finally got rid of the bugger late on 12 Nov 20..

Semper Fi My Brothers!

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 12-11-20, 05:40 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Mac Pro is a $5000+ computer w/o the monitor for the base model and generally comes with a top of the line graphics card and 8-core Xeon processor. Even an old one should sure as hell be able to run Zwift at the max settings without a problem.
That it does. That it does. And MacBook Pro was intended.
I think it’s a 2017. Silky smooth. Lotsa ports and a cool magnetic charging connection.
I was impressed, so I went and got a Mac Air.
Before I knew it, my iPad was talking to my iPhone talking to my Mac Air.
It also runs my rollers on Zwift smoothly. Almost looks like people.

On a side note, it appears trainers are shipping. My LBS got 3 Kicker Snaps and 3 Saris in today.
Nice to see the supply chain moving. COVID is nowhere near behind us, vaccine or not.
And winter’s coming.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-11-20, 05:44 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by embankmentlb
I picked up a Wahoo Core and Zwift for my Birthday and Christmas.
Only 3 days of riding at this point and in the process of understanding it all.
It is entertaining for what it is.
I certainly feel it in my legs!

My observations:
The RGT app puts the resistance at 100%. Real world conditions. It is brutal.

Zwift app resistance is at 50% by default. I find that much more manageable.
I think you can change it in Settings. I think it’s called Max or something.
Old 12-11-20, 05:45 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by natterberry
Im guessing he meant MacBook Pro. But you never know.
Yep.
Old 12-16-20, 11:48 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

2 hours Sunday. No broken bones.
Being supremely overconfident, I've moved the rollers to open space.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-16-20, 02:11 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
are you using steps or a platform of some sort? That makes rollers a less stressful experience.
I had a set of Weyless rollers that had steps, and it made starting and stopping fairly simple.

two hours on rollers is quite a while! Have you been working on riding no-hands, just to break up the monotony and change positions on the bike?

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 12-16-20, 06:06 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 419 Posts
2020 got in the way of my 400 sqft bike annex construction project. I was going to have a place set up for a ghetto Zwift rig and the Nordictrack. To bad, so sad. So the studded tires are going back on the single speed mountain bike AKA the "No Excuses" machine.
Old 12-17-20, 07:34 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 966 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I don't ride indoors. I hate it. And arms race is a good term for the equipment market.

The Lost Art of Winter Cycling

I bought Minura rollers in the early 90’s, learned how to use them, then promptly stored them for the next two decades. Then I got back into cycling and bought a mag trainer... and used it 3 times. I’ve loaned it out more than I’ve used it...

So the only arms race I have going on is the ever growing number of arrows in my quiver: Full-fendered rando-esque Trek 710 for long road rides, early 80’s MTB with slicks and full coverage fenders for general commuting rain or shine. A studded-tire 2000’s comfort/upright bike for glare ice - that thing is wicked stable! And most recently this decidedly non-C/V acquisition for snow beyond an inch or two (but see if you can spot at least three nods to my C/V passion):

“There’s no such thing as poor weather, just poor clothing choices.”

I appreciate that we all have different life situations. I am lucky to be able to commute nearly everywhere I want to go in any weather. More than half of my yearly mileage (not huge, but over 2600 miles so far) is from commuting. I find that I am much more pleasant in the morning and my stress level drops precipitously on the way home from a tough day when I ride a bike. So I feel completely justified in my arms race.

Cheers to those who find joy riding indoors to keep up with their cycling passion - there sure are a lot of excellent choices these days!
Old 12-17-20, 10:55 AM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 116 Posts
Completely open space? I'm impressed. I need a wall to one side to get started and stop gracefully.

I read this thread back when it started, and thought you had tried and discarded rollers many years ago.

I pulled mine out from 10year dust catching, and finally learned to ride them. Covid-19 skills! The difference for me was *not* trying to watch TV or read or anything. I'm working through The Great Courses: Music as a Mirror of History, and listening to that leaves enough attention to stay up.

I can't take anywhere near two hours though. I think I can't move around enough, my butt and hands get sore quicker. I find 35-40 minutes to be plenty. But adding 2-3 of those into the week had to have helped.

And, I haven't learned to drink from the bottle on the rollers. I crashed while practicing. There isn't a lot of momentum involved, but I was really glad I didn't twist an ankle stepping off onto the rollers area.

I saw on the other thread discussion of resistance. As one point of reference: just rolling and speed is enough adjustment for me. I can see how a strong rider might need more, but not me yet. Strava wag's me at 160W for two hours, 199W for a 38minute climb on the road. One could always get crappier training tires to add resistance!
Old 12-17-20, 12:36 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
are you using steps or a platform of some sort?
Menards step stool. $17.99, one on each side. One roll of non-skid tape, 9.99, because ABS cleats on ABS steps = Ice.

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Have you been working on riding no-hands, just to break up the monotony and change positions on the bike?
Steve in Peoria
You’ve seen my technique in person. No hands would be a real stretch for me on a good day on a good bike.

My hands get numb quickly, and my triceps complain in about an hour. I move carefully from flats to tops to drops and if I take one hand off, it’s quick. I guess I get an arm workout, too.

I definitely have to keep my head straight. I’m moving the TV to dead center, just above the fan. My immediate goal is to drink from the water bottle. This is good core stuff.

By the way, Gail rides her Kickr at the same time. She’s terrified it will all unwind at once.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-18-20 at 03:44 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-17-20, 04:15 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
Menards step stool. $17.99, one on each side. One roll of non-skid tape, 9.99, because ABS cleats on ABS steps = Ice.

You’ve seen my technique in person. No hands would be a real stretch for me on a good day on a good bike.

My hands get numb quickly, and my triceps complain in about an hour. I move carefully from flats to tops to drops and if I take one hand off, it’s quick. I guess I get an arm workout, too.

I definitely have to keep my head straight. I’m moving the TV to dead center, just above the fan. My immediate goal is to drink from the water bottle. This is good core stuff.

By the way, Gail rides her Kickr at the same time. She’s terrified it will all unwind at once.
Steps make life much easier! The Menards version is probably a bit cheaper than the Weyless version... although the Weyless ones really were great!

As far as technique, I just remember you and NoMadMax dropping me in the hills on the last Hilly 100.

With enough time, you'll refine your style and get to the point where you can put the bike anywhere you want on the rollers. That's about the time to think about riding no-hands. Admittedly, the first time you tentatively let go of the bars will be the most frightening! Once you do it, though, it is usually easier to control the bike w/o hands. This does assume that you are comfortable riding no-hands on the road, I suppose.

As far as core exercises.... I do a variety of them, as prescribed by a physical therapist about 12 years ago. That was when I was having neck issues. They were the usual ones, such as planks and the "superman" pose. In the last handful of years, I added some favorites from my time at MCRD San Diego! Bends and Thrusts and Mountain Climbers are part of my routine. After graduating from boot camp and realizing I'd never be put in the pit again, I find it humorously ironic that I'm doing them voluntarily now.
They certainly do help with core strength and bike control.

As far as Gail's fear of things going bad... I think she'll be fine if she just stays 3 or 4 feet away from you. I've gone off the rollers, but usually managed to get a foot down and avoided ending up on my butt.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 12-18-20, 11:20 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
^ Totally agree with the no hands comments. Steering with the bars is the last thing you want to do on rollers. Come to think of it, that will be the last thing you do. After that you’ll be off.
Just keep pedaling and have faith. Your wheels are powerful gyroscopes. It’s easier than you think.
Old 12-18-20, 03:43 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by due ruote
^ Totally agree with the no hands comments. Steering with the bars is the last thing you want to do on rollers. Come to think of it, that will be the last thing you do. After that you’ll be off.
Just keep pedaling and have faith. Your wheels are powerful gyroscopes. It’s easier than you think.
Just happen to have a century on rollers planned for Christmas day.
See you on the other side of the ER....
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-18-20, 03:50 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Classtime
I have rollers but it has been a long long time. But when I thought indoor training was fun, I considered building something like this and getting a cheap used trainer.

A Rocker Plate
Inside ride now has a stand just for that Kickr. I think it's called the E-Flex. Actually two stands. One for the rear, with a bit of flex and side-side. One for the front fork, so you remove the wheel. The fork can pivot and tilt a bit. Independent front/rear. Pretty cool, and well received by a couple of influencers, both of whom did not like the Kickr incline fork stand.

I bought my lady one of those Kickr's to upgrade her from the Snap, and the E-Flex stand is next.
Old 12-18-20, 03:56 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

So I'm actually talking to a guy who used to put on demonstrations of rollers in malls, etc. They'd bunny hop, single leg, go slow, go fast, etc. He said they would end up by riding right off the rollers to a stop. Great guy, great rider, very casually excellent.

We were discussing the various programs that allow you to record your ride and then send it in digital form, get it back as a workout. Not with video, but that's coming. Basically, you go ride a century, and you can send it off, and within minutes get it back as a planned ride. Same distance, elevation changes, etc, all programmed through whatever ride software you have.

It's coming to where you actually record the video of your ride with the camera, plus the Strava or Ride with GPX or Map My Ride data, whatever, and you send that off, and it will come back with the ride in a pixilated video form, plus the terrain changes, etc. You can re-ride the same course, elevations, and watch the same scenery, albeit in less detail than you shot it. Pretty cool stuff. According to the guy, you can ride it several times, send all of them off, and the software will continue to "sharpen" the ride so the elevation changes, distances, etc are more and more accurate. They just haven't figured out how to ghost the traffic and other bikes.

I have seen how folks record with Cycliq then replay it with the ride data at the bottom of the screen, synchronized with the video. That's pretty cool.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-18-20, 04:03 PM
due ruote 

Just happen to have a century on rollers planned for Christmas day.
See you on the other side of the ER....
You clearly have superior arse conditioning. More than about 20 miles on rollers, I think I’d want to sit in the eggnog.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 12-18-20, 08:37 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

You clearly have superior arse conditioning. More than about 20 miles on rollers, I think I’d want to sit in the eggnog.
Now there’s an idea!
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-26-20, 04:34 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
That it does. That it does. And MacBook Pro was intended.
I think it’s a 2017. Silky smooth. Lotsa ports and a cool magnetic charging connection.
I was impressed, so I went and got a Mac Air.
Before I knew it, my iPad was talking to my iPhone talking to my Mac Air.
It also runs my rollers on Zwift smoothly. Almost looks like people.

On a side note, it appears trainers are shipping. My LBS got 3 Kicker Snaps and 3 Saris in today.
Nice to see the supply chain moving. COVID is nowhere near behind us, vaccine or not.
And winter’s coming.
Nailed my reasoning behind my Apple addiction, add in an Apple Watch to the MacBook Air and iPhone. Everything integrates seamlessly, I can control starts and stops from the watch, Strada and the Cyclemeter App can import, report to, and detect Apple Health and Heart data. Throw in sync, and adding the Weather Channel current conditions, to anything I desire from all three devices. the iPad is next up. When a few pennies get saved and my CO/wifey type person say its okay, a Smart Trainer shall appear.

Now there’s an idea!
Just make sure you toss out the used Sitz bath eggnog, TopR, or do not tell us about the after-party. TMI

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-26-20, 08:17 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 160 Posts

A little bit of new and a little bit of old. 87 Cannondale running 8 speed cassette with silver shifters and cyclone 2 derailleur. I am liking the setup quite well!
Likes For embankmentlb:
Old 12-27-20, 03:47 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Century today indoors.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-27-20, 07:39 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,711 Times in 1,393 Posts
Century today indoors.
You'll put a groove in your floor. Do you have a cue sheet and map?
Likes For iab:
Old 12-31-20, 12:22 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Didn’t make the century I’d planned. 43.51 darn it.

Roller fatigue.

My girl did 100, though. Before the E-Flex arrived.

Tomorrow is a metric. Before Lunch. Then maybe maybe 38 after.

Maybe.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-31-20, 02:14 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,711 Times in 1,393 Posts

My girl did 100, though. Before the E-Flex arrived.
Impressive. Especially since there are no wheels on the bike.
Old 01-01-21, 06:38 PM
due ruote 

Saw a CL post today for “free motion rollers”. Has anyone tried this? I am not inclined to increase the roller footprint, but I like the concept. Lots of other examples on YouTube.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ins...famp_page=true

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.