Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Kansas City to St. Louis

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Kansas City to St. Louis

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 05:14 PM
YULitle
n00b-sauce

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse SL 2, Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kansas City to St. Louis

Any thoughts? I'm looking to travel to KC, park, ride to St. Louis and then take the Amtrak back.

Right now I've just got what Google Maps has for me via their Walking directions. There is one part I may have to go around that looks like it's private property ("Moores Rd.") But, is there something better? I start off on 50 and then switch to 100 in Jefferson City.

Are there any trails?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-09, 05:26 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by YULitle
Any thoughts? I'm looking to travel to KC, park, ride to St. Louis and then take the Amtrak back.

Right now I've just got what Google Maps has for me via their Walking directions. There is one part I may have to go around that looks like it's private property ("Moores Rd.") But, is there something better? I start off on 50 and then switch to 100 in Jefferson City.

Are there any trails?

Thanks in advance.
Why not make your way to Clinton (MO 7?) from KC and then follow the Katy to St. Charles. I believe you can get across the Missouri at St. Charles on MO370 (it's part of the Mississippi River Trail). You probably want to go to Kirkwood for the train. That's where we had to meet it for our Amtrak trip in 2008 so that we could load our bikes on.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-11-09, 06:44 PM
bladeswitcher

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The obvious answer to your question is that the nation's longest rails to trail path runs 260 miles from Clinton, MO to St. Charles, MO. The Katy Trail is a crushed gravel trail that is basically hard pack. There is almost no elevation change across the state on the Katy (it's an old railroad after all), but you'll be pedaling the whole time as there isn't much coasting. There's lots of places to stay and some pretty cool towns along the way -- especially east of Boonville.

If you'd rather stay on paved roads, Highway 50 is one choice for a direct route, at least west of Jefferson City. It's two-lane a good part of the way though and there isn't a shoulder on a lot of sections. I would try to find less traveled parallel roads when possible. There are some places along the Highway 50 route that would be pretty dangerous on a bike. Adding to this is the fact that Missouri drivers are not the most bike tolerant out there. You get in some of the stretches where there's no good place for cars to pass and no shoulder for you to escape to and you could end up in some dicey situations. Also, there really isn't a whole lot real interesting on the western Hwy 50 route in the way of tourist destinations.

Riding Highway 100 east of Jeff would get you off the heavily traveled Hwy 50. Another road you should look at is Highway 94, which runs from Jefferson City to St. Charles. Again, it's narrow, with no shoulder on much of it, but it's a lovely drive. It would present a nice mix of Missouri river bottoms and steep, windy wood lined hills. (It's one of my favorite drives in the state.) The first stretch of Hwy 94 is pretty flat (it runs right alongside the Katy Trail) but you'll pretty quickly get into some serious roller coasters.

Another possibility would be a northern route along Highway 24. Northern Missouri has a whole different feel than southern Missouri and it would be a completely different trip. A Highway 50/100/94 trip would take you through the best of the state's wine district. You'd pass more farms and fruit orchards along Highway 24.

Actually, if I were to plan out a road-based bicycle trip from KC to St. Louis, I would probably do Highway 10 and 24 heading out of KC and through the Lexington area and on to Waverly and Arrow Rock (Hwy 65/41). From there, I'd either pick up the Katy trail at Boonville and head down to Jefferson City or go on through Rocheport to Columbia and then down to Jefferson City (there's another rails to trail project in Columbia that hooks up to the Katy or you could ride Highway 63 for 30 miles). From Jefferson City, I'd get on Highway 94 and go to Hermann and Augusta. On the Highway 94 route you always have to option of getting on the Katy and riding the trail for a while. There's a bunch of towns along the eastern portion of the Katy that are really bike friendly.

I've not ridden the western end of the Katy trail but based on what I've seen of it (and what I know about the towns there) I think it's pretty boring. I think you'd find the northern (road) route much more enjoyable for the western portion of your trip.

I know rural Missouri like the back of my hand and would be happy to offer advice or counsel on your route and places to stop/things to see. I'm serious, I know the state really well. If I don't know the answer I can direct you to folks who do. Feel free to e-mail me or post your questions here and I'll try to watch for this thread.

Last edited by bladeswitcher; 11-11-09 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 07:12 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5458 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 238 Posts
I can't think of a good reason not to ride the Katy. It is a very enjoyable 225 miles. No traffic, just peace and quiet and other bikers.
Likes For sknhgy:
Old 11-11-09, 07:57 PM
bladeswitcher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
I can't think of a good reason not to ride the Katy. It is a very enjoyable 225 miles. No traffic, just peace and quiet and other bikers.
Except that it's 260 miles of the same thing, pretty much. You get a fairly limited view of the state on the trail. Still, there is a lot to do and see along the way. Rocheport is nice. Hermann and its wineries is right across the river and a good place to spend the night. Augusta and Dutzow are great, too.

At the very least, I would suggest at least considering mixing it up and following the river on the west side of the state (Highway 24/41) until you get to Boonville and then picking up the Katy Trail for much or most of the rest of the way. Frankly, the trail and Highway 94 will take you to basically the same places, with 94 taking a hilly path and the trail staying in the bottoms.

Last edited by bladeswitcher; 11-11-09 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 10:00 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by bladeswitcher
The obvious answer to your question is that the nation's longest rails to trail path runs 260 miles from Clinton, MO to St. Charles, MO. The Katy Trail is a crushed gravel trail that is basically hard pack. There is almost no elevation change across the state on the Katy (it's an old railroad after all), but you'll be pedaling the whole time as there isn't much coasting. There's lots of places to stay and some pretty cool towns along the way -- especially east of Boonville.

If you'd rather stay on paved roads, Highway 50 is one choice for a direct route, at least west of Jefferson City. It's two-lane a good part of the way though and there isn't a shoulder on a lot of sections. I would try to find less traveled parallel roads when possible. There are some places along the Highway 50 route that would be pretty dangerous on a bike. Adding to this is the fact that Missouri drivers are not the most bike tolerant out there. You get in some of the stretches where there's no good place for cars to pass and no shoulder for you to escape to and you could end up in some dicey situations. Also, there really isn't a whole lot real interesting on the western Hwy 50 route in the way of tourist destinations.

Riding Highway 100 east of Jeff would get you off the heavily traveled Hwy 50. Another road you should look at is Highway 94, which runs from Jefferson City to St. Charles. Again, it's narrow, with no shoulder on much of it, but it's a lovely drive. It would present a nice mix of Missouri river bottoms and steep, windy wood lined hills. (It's one of my favorite drives in the state.) The first stretch of Hwy 94 is pretty flat (it runs right alongside the Katy Trail) but you'll pretty quickly get into some serious roller coasters.

Another possibility would be a northern route along Highway 24. Northern Missouri has a whole different feel than southern Missouri and it would be a completely different trip. A Highway 50/100/94 trip would take you through the best of the state's wine district. You'd pass more farms and fruit orchards along Highway 24.

Actually, if I were to plan out a road-based bicycle trip from KC to St. Louis, I would probably do Highway 10 and 24 heading out of KC and through the Lexington area and on to Waverly and Arrow Rock (Hwy 65/41). From there, I'd either pick up the Katy trail at Boonville and head down to Jefferson City or go on through Rocheport to Columbia and then down to Jefferson City (there's another rails to trail project in Columbia that hooks up to the Katy or you could ride Highway 63 for 30 miles). From Jefferson City, I'd get on Highway 94 and go to Hermann and Augusta. On the Highway 94 route you always have to option of getting on the Katy and riding the trail for a while. There's a bunch of towns along the eastern portion of the Katy that are really bike friendly.

I've not ridden the western end of the Katy trail but based on what I've seen of it (and what I know about the towns there) I think it's pretty boring. I think you'd find the northern (road) route much more enjoyable for the western portion of your trip.

I know rural Missouri like the back of my hand and would be happy to offer advice or counsel on your route and places to stop/things to see. I'm serious, I know the state really well. If I don't know the answer I can direct you to folks who do. Feel free to e-mail me or post your questions here and I'll try to watch for this thread.
The Katy isn't too bad from one end to the other. There are really very few parts that are horribly boring. A bit too tree lined for my tastes but then one tree per square mile is kind of claustrophobic for a Colorado plains boy

There's no need to follow any road other than the Katy through the area since both Jefferson City and Hermann can be easily accessed now from the Katy. Nice and quiet riding with easy access...what more could you want?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-11-09, 10:14 PM
YULitle
n00b-sauce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's awesome! This will make the planning much easier.

Any idea if there is camping allowed along the way? I tried to look at the website but it's not loading atm...
Old 11-11-09, 10:25 PM
bladeswitcher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's awesome! This will make the planning much easier.

Any idea if there is camping allowed along the way? I tried to look at the website but it's not loading atm...
Not a lot of camping along the Katy Trail, but there are a few places. You probably should get a copy of the Katy Trail Guide Book. I'd recommend you buy it directly from these folks, since the owner wrote it and no doubt gets a bigger cut when you buy it from him: https://www.pebblepublishing.com/. Make sure you stop in and see Brett when you pass through Rocheport. He's a great guy.
Old 11-11-09, 10:29 PM
YULitle
n00b-sauce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The site is working now. bikekatytrail.com It's amazing. Camping locations, where there at, how far off the trail AND phone numbers. A+

Kind of makes it silly not to go.
Old 11-14-09, 01:51 PM
50 Mission Cap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah man,

I did the katy last spring from Clinton to STL. Awesome ride. Lots of cool places to stop. Booneville, Rocheport... Mokane has a great little general store where they make a hell of a sandwich, also, try to stop in Hermann - a short ride from the McKittrick stop. Great brewery there called Tin Mill. EXCELLENT wheat beer.

One word of caution, if it rains heavily, the crushed gravel gets a bit soggy and that makes it difficult to ride.

Have fun.
Old 11-14-09, 02:42 PM
SteveMiller

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the ACA's Lewis & Clark route. It follows the Katy from St. Charles to Jefferson City, and then it keeps going west instead of dipping south to Clinton.
Old 11-14-09, 03:40 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

You can take any number of side trips/routes off the Katy. Me, I likes the tree lined route and I consider endless corn and bean fields boring, but I live here so I have a different perspective. I like the bluffs, river, and small towns along the Katy. The Katy isn't in the wilderness either. You can veer off for a short distance and be on a road in no time.
Too bad a person can't find out about the camping at all the town parks across the midwest. I know of numerous small towns that have camping out at their reservoir but it's not listed on any map.
Old 11-17-09, 05:37 AM
50 Mission Cap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
You can take any number of side trips/routes off the Katy. Me, I likes the tree lined route and I consider endless corn and bean fields boring, but I live here so I have a different perspective. I like the bluffs, river, and small towns along the Katy. The Katy isn't in the wilderness either. You can veer off for a short distance and be on a road in no time.
Too bad a person can't find out about the camping at all the town parks across the midwest. I know of numerous small towns that have camping out at their reservoir but it's not listed on any map.
Speaking of, there is a little town about 60 miles from Clinton (not a bad stop after day 1) called pilot grove. The people are really nice there, and you can camp in their public park for free.
Old 11-17-09, 09:44 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I am planning riding the Katy next year. Going to try to ride round trip in a week. Never occured to me that there is no coasting due to gravel road. But I can always turnaround on Wednesday.
Old 11-17-09, 10:24 PM
YULitle
n00b-sauce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
I am planning riding the Katy next year. Going to try to ride round trip in a week. Never occured to me that there is no coasting due to gravel road. But I can always turnaround on Wednesday.
Have you ever done the Cowboy trail? That's in your neck-of-the-woods, right?
Old 01-11-21, 05:51 AM
MarkyBolton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi - I want to go!

Are there any trails?

Thanks in advance.
You can take the Katy Perry trail all the way through now! Always wanted to go and bought a new ebike to do it! Let me know if you hadn't already gone or you want to do it again!
Old 01-11-21, 08:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkyBolton
You can take the Katy Perry trail all the way through now! Always wanted to go and bought a new ebike to do it! Let me know if you hadn't already gone or you want to do it again!
This thread is from 11 years ago and the OP hasnt even logged into the forum in almost a decade. Just start a new thread.
Im genuinely curious what ebike you bought. ebike and touring have always perplexed me, in a curiously good way.
Old 01-11-21, 03:05 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Ohmygoshohmygosh! 11 y.o. thread alert!

Should anyone dredge this out of the archives, it looks to me like (but then I don't live in that area) now in 2021 Kansas City to St. Louis could be KC bike paths to the intersection of 150 & 291, south on the shoulder of 291 to Lake Winnebago, along the shore to BB, 175th Street to the Rock Island Trailway just west of Pleasant Hill (which could maybe be considered sort of an outlying suburb of KC). The Rock Island intersects with the Katy down @ Windsor.

KC & StL both served by major airports, Amtrak, Greyhound, etc.

Hmm. This sort of makes me want to go do this late this spring. Who knows, maybe. I'm 77,651st on the list for a COVID vaccine in my town, and last week we got 100 doses in!
Old 01-11-21, 03:28 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
"Katy Perry" Trail + ebikes + 11 year old thread + 1st post = troll
Likes For robow:
Old 01-12-21, 12:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
"Katy Perry" Trail + ebikes + 11 year old thread + 1st post = troll
Ha, I didnt even see the 'Perry' in that post.
What effort to just make a dumb post then. Oh well, everyone handles boredom differently.
Old 01-16-21, 07:41 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

I like riding the Katy when the snakes are moving between the bluffs and the bottoms. I've yet to see a rattlesnake.