Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

I just do not like riding Fixed.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

I just do not like riding Fixed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-21, 11:29 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
my riding style hasn't changed since I got my first mountain bike in middle school. I took up a lot of the practices of a trail rider - not a true gravity downhill rider, but plenty of mountain trails. I still have a lot of those habits when it comes to taking corners, hills, or bumps/jumps/curbs - and it involves standing & coasting a lot. I've often thought about how I would need to continue pedaling if I were on fixed in a lot of these situations and I realize it would require a very large change in my ingrained riding style. BUT, a huge part of me still wants to try it because I want to feel that complete control of the bike brakeless. but at the same time i do love the simple freedom and fun of a single speed freewheel.

i test rode a fixed Big Block a few months ago and i had a hard time with it - but i also had just flat pedals with no foot retention, soo...shrug?
Likes For the sci guy: