Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will baby boomers live much longer than expected?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Will baby boomers live much longer than expected?

Old 01-19-21, 09:44 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
Most older people buy ebikes to commute so I see them zip by me all the time.
This is an "ageist" generalization for which you probably don't have supporting data. Most older people that I know (i.e. Boomers) ride non-assisted bikes. The 2 e-bike owners who I know personally are 20-25 years younger than me. That doesn't mean that a generalization based on my own frame of reference would be valid. Be careful when you make generalizations, mate.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 01-19-21, 01:15 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
The two eBike owners that I know are each female and in their early 40s, not boomers. My sample size is small, admittedly.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 01-19-21, 01:22 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Most boomers who are still alive were living unhealthy as possible for the previous forty years.

They are the obese that’ve been spotlit as stereotypical Americans on news broadcasts around the world.

They have been keeping Phillip Morris & InBev rolling in fat profits.

They live “healthy” for three or four months every seven years.

Many die/have died before retirement due to awful diet and no exercise.

The ones that live past 70 are outliers. They are the exceptional ones who could’ve been Olympians had they applied themselves.
Likes For hsuBM:
Old 01-19-21, 04:53 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM
Most boomers who are still alive were living unhealthy as possible for the previous forty years.

They are the obese that’ve been spotlit as stereotypical Americans on news broadcasts around the world.

The ones that live past 70 are outliers. They are the exceptional ones who could’ve been Olympians had they applied themselves.
Seriously? It must be much different where you live. Around here most of the boomers that I've known are vibrantly active. It's the 30-40 year crowd that seems a bit sluggish.

Reaching 70 is exceptional? Wow! Good thing that you're not an actuary.
Old 01-19-21, 05:15 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
New riders

What I heard from the local bike shop, is that the older guys are buying the new bikes after being out of cycling for a while. His worry is that the younger generation is so into their video games that the demand will go down in the future for bikes, basically no new demand . Of course that's like looking into a crystal ball to predict the future

Last edited by rossiny; 01-19-21 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-19-21, 05:56 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts

"People try to put us down-
just because we get around" - Pete Townshend - My Generation
Likes For surveyor6:
Old 01-19-21, 06:55 PM
peashooter

Bikes: Roold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Well, I'm 70, and all my friends that are around my age are generally in pretty good shape. We all try to stay in decent shape by riding, walking, etc. I worry more about the young people who do nothing but sit around on the computer, phone or video game set.
Likes For peashooter:
Old 01-19-21, 08:16 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts

You make it sound like we are a bunch of Rat Pack wannabees-
Your right!
Likes For surveyor6:
Old 01-20-21, 07:57 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts

Uh, no. This isn't even a very good troll post.
Likes For shrtdstncrdr:
Old 01-20-21, 01:20 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I believe that the OP was unable to frame the question that he really had in mind.

And the answer is no, they will not - populations live pretty much exactly as predicted. That's why actuaries get paid.
Thanks for that. I've been resisting the editor in my head, who keeps blue-penciling the thread title to read, more accurately, "Is it to be expected that baby boomers will live longer than expected?"
Old 01-20-21, 06:57 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Thanks for that. I've been resisting the editor in my head, who keeps blue-penciling the thread title to read, more accurately, "Is it to be expected that baby boomers will live longer than expected?"
Will not advances in Medicine allow for longer life even without diet and exercise improvement?
Old 01-20-21, 07:29 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Boomers and life span: How long is too long?
Old 01-21-21, 07:26 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Will not advances in Medicine allow for longer life even without diet and exercise improvement?
Would the longer lives be then expected or unexpected?
Old 01-21-21, 07:34 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
living into the 80's doesn't look that great to me
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 01-21-21, 09:02 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I think you've got it backwards. Many of the articles I've read about the obesity crisis report the rise of obesity and diabetes in children. People look at pictures of crowds from 40 years ago, and comment on how skinny the people were back then, and we weren't even all that skinny. Also, health is closely tied to affluence, and affluence has been in decline except for a few.

The people I know with e-bikes are mostly in their 30s and 40s. The oldest two people I know who have e-bikes are both in excellent health. But once again, a factor is the relationship between age and affluence. People buy e-bikes because they can afford them.
Old 01-21-21, 11:09 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
... health is closely tied to affluence...
This is an interesting point, and maybe the most salient, although you may not realize why. America suffers from abundance, which when combined with ignorance, leads to poor decision making. Across the spectrum, though, a corrupted food supply has greater negative impact on the poorer and poorly-informed consumers. Healthy diet and preventative health care escape these people, because their focus is on the more immediate need or immediate gratification. That's how it is.

The affluent and educated (generally) make better-informed food and lifestyle decisions. Stage of life can factor into this, too.

Again, there are entire industries devoted to analyzing, modeling and verifying this kind of research into populations and cultures. It's not my field at all, but I find it interesting. Oh, and I'm a boomer, too.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 01-21-21, 03:03 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
This is an interesting point, and maybe the most salient, although you may not realize why. America suffers from abundance, which when combined with ignorance, leads to poor decision making. Across the spectrum, though, a corrupted food supply has greater negative impact on the poorer and poorly-informed consumers. Healthy diet and preventative health care escape these people, because their focus is on the more immediate need or immediate gratification. That's how it is.

The affluent and educated (generally) make better-informed food and lifestyle decisions. Stage of life can factor into this, too.

Again, there are entire industries devoted to analyzing, modeling and verifying this kind of research into populations and cultures. It's not my field at all, but I find it interesting. Oh, and I'm a boomer, too.
I know what it takes to eat "good" for a better health. I also know how much easier & cheaper it is to eat junk.

Seems every busy intersection has a fast food source or party store filled with sugary substances. The only way I see that changing is if the community puts a stop to it.

Education & money are two things that will help someone potentially eat better, but as long as the junk food is easier to get, the poor choices will likely remain.
Old 01-21-21, 04:25 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Originally Posted by Troul
I know what it takes to eat "good" for a better health. I also know how much easier & cheaper it is to eat junk.

Seems every busy intersection has a fast food source or party store filled with sugary substances. The only way I see that changing is if the community puts a stop to it.

Education & money are two things that will help someone potentially eat better, but as long as the junk food is easier to get, the poor choices will likely remain.
It's deeper than this. Do you know how your male blood panel and other bloodwork stacks up to generations past? Have you factored in genetic history into your choices? Do you study the "fine print" of the things that you eat? The prophylactic actions that you've taken? How's your vitamin D? Are you a superior advocate for your own health when being treated? Do you have doctors who are lined up "on your side" when the decisions of life arrive unannounced: prostate cancer, high blood pressure, skin disorders, heart questions, and the like?

Did you follow your own COVID treatment and protection plan, or did you wait for the TV to tell you what to do?

These are the questions that are casually answered by those who get ahead of things...
Old 01-21-21, 04:32 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
It's deeper than this. Do you know how your male blood panel and other bloodwork stacks up to generations past? Have you factored in genetic history into your choices? Do you study the "fine print" of the things that you eat? The prophylactic actions that you've taken? How's your vitamin D? Are you a superior advocate for your own health when being treated? Do you have doctors who are lined up "on your side" when the decisions of life arrive unannounced: prostate cancer, high blood pressure, skin disorders, heart questions, and the like?

Did you follow your own COVID treatment and protection plan, or did you wait for the TV to tell you what to do?

These are the questions that are casually answered by those who get ahead of things...
That is a water channel of another subject.

As I am aware of what you are saying, my explanation is putting the eyes on the everyday joe that has a standard 9-5 job making wages that enables a retirement vs those that work where they can & get what they can as it comes.
Old 01-21-21, 04:40 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Pretty good job by the OP.
Old 01-21-21, 05:32 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
"Anecdotal observation" does not equal "fact."
That is why we have forums.
Likes For Doge:
Old 01-21-21, 07:45 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
I remember about 10 years ago, it was mostly the hipster types that I saw on bicycles commuting to work. Now, it feels ike more than 60% are over 40 years of age, and probably about 20% in the baby boomer age bracket. Cycling seems to be not that popular for people under 30 like it used to be, especially as a form of commuting. It is nice to see older people being active while those younger ones will probably all die early from being indoor too much. And if they do go out, they prefer those all battery operated electric scooters.
out here in Southern Cali I see a ton of riders under 30. It’s a good mix of all ages.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 01-21-21, 07:52 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
(I didn't read 3+ pages. Sorry.)

No. (Boomers will not "live longer".)

They'll all (mostly) die between the ages of 70-80, in the main. There will be outliers.

The descent from 80-90 will be the steepest.
Old 01-22-21, 08:03 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
I believe that the OP was unable to frame the question that he really had in mind.

And the answer is no, they will not - populations live pretty much exactly as predicted. That's why actuaries get paid.
it feels like the COVID-19 was aimed at baby boomers
Old 01-24-21, 12:49 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
How do you explain an old lady with flowers and dogs zipping by me up a hill? bruh, it´s battery powered simple as that. Seeing is believing, not a generalization at all. I am glad older folks are out enjoying the ride.

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
This is an "ageist" generalization for which you probably don't have supporting data. Most older people that I know (i.e. Boomers) ride non-assisted bikes. The 2 e-bike owners who I know personally are 20-25 years younger than me. That doesn't mean that a generalization based on my own frame of reference would be valid. Be careful when you make generalizations, mate.
Likes For Obeast:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.