Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roadie pump

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Roadie pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-21, 12:54 PM
Doomrider74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Roadie pump

What pump do you take on your road rides? I'm in the market for a new one so looking for options. For traditional pumps, I'm open to frame mounting, but don't want a full-size one, preferring a "mini" pump (yes, I know they don't work as well at higher pressures).

I run 25/26mm tires at around 90psi, but anything over 70psi would be fine to get me home, I'd guess.

I like the simplicity of traditional pumps but they can be hard work at higher pressures. Obviously there's CO2 pumps as well, but it would have to be controllable.

I dont tend to get many flats (I actually can't remember the last flat I got on the road) but I always like to take a pump, just in case.

Last edited by Doomrider74; 03-22-21 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-21-21, 01:14 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Doomrider74
What pump do you take on your road rides? I'm in the market for a new one so looking for options. For traditional pumps, I'm open to frame mounting, but don't want a full-size one, preferring a "mini" pump (yes, I know they don't work as well at higher pressures).

I run 25/26mm tires at around 90psi, but anything over 70psi would be fine to get me home, I'd guess.

I like the simplicity of traditional pumps but they can be hard work at higher pressures. Obviously there's CO2 pumps as well, but it would have to be controllable.

I dont tend to get many flats (I actually can't remember the last flat I got on the road) but I always like to take a pump, just in case.

I use 12g threaded CO2 cartridges (brewing cartridges - v. cheap from Amazon) and a Lezyne head with a valve. Very controllable, but a single cartridge will pretty much fill up one 25mm tube, so the valve just controls the rate. I carry two cartridges in case I mess up one fill. I also carry a very small (~6”) mini pump in my jersey to inflate the tube enough to not get kinks in it when I’m installing. The mini pump would probably get enough air into a tire to ride on, but inflating a tire from scratch would be purgatorial - definitely a last resort. I get maybe one flat/year, so this minimal setup is adequate for my needs
Likes For Litespud:
Old 03-21-21, 01:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I don't flat often either. I just carry a cheapo CO2 inflator and a couple cartridges. Out of the three or four cheapo inflators I've got laying around they all are controllable. I don't remember that they said anything about that on the packaging

The inflator I keep in my bag now, you have to screw it all the way in to pop the bottle, then unscrew it a little to let the CO2 flow. When the tire is filled enough, you can screw the cartridge all the way in and have extra to use for any leaks you might have on the way home. Seems to take a while for the punctured cartridge to leak down fully. Two maybe three weeks.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-21-21, 01:17 PM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by Litespud
I use 12g threaded CO2 cartridges (brewing cartridges - v. cheap from Amazon) and a Lezyne head with a valve. Very controllable, but a single cartridge will pretty much fill up one 25mm tube, so the valve just controls the rate. I carry two cartridges in case I mess up one fill. I also carry a very small (~6”) mini pump in my jersey to inflate the tube enough to not get kinks in it when I’m installing. The mini pump would probably get enough air into a tire to ride on, but inflating a tire from scratch would be purgatorial - definitely a last resort. I get maybe one flat/year, so this minimal setup is adequate for my needs
What psi do the cans inflate your 25mm tire to?
Old 03-21-21, 01:54 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I like the Topeak RaceRocket HP. It weighs about 90g and is quite small.
It has a narrow cylinder, so you can achieve quite high pressures for such a small pump. It does require a lot of strokes to fill a tire, but the chuck connects to the valve stem through a rubber hose, so it's easy to pump very rapidly without worrying about damaging the valve stem.

It fits nicely into places like jersey pockets, and as pumps go, I think it looks pretty decent when mounted at a bottle cage boss:

Likes For HTupolev:
Old 03-21-21, 03:31 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I haven't had a flat in almost 3 yrs thanks to tubeless. I carry a LeZyne mini pump.
Old 03-21-21, 03:33 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Lezyne makes a range of excellent Mimi I-pumps which are all relatively light weight. Silca makes a model called the Tattico which is deluxe, bombproof, and a bit heavier.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-21-21, 04:42 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Yeah, the Lezyne Road Drive pumps are well designed, nicely finished, and effective.

I have three of those, but for giggles recently added a Specialized Air Tool Road pump to the mix, because it looks sleek and sweet. It works pretty darn well, and may be faster than the Lezyne Road Drive, but I’ve not done direct comparison, though. One potential negative is that it’s a fixed head, so care has to be taken to support the head in order to avoid accidentally torquing on the valve stem and breaking it. It’s a solid 8 out of 10, I think.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ai...ext=47218-4000
Old 03-21-21, 11:47 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
What psi do the cans inflate your 25mm tire to?
based on my thumb, >90 psi. I run the gas into a minimally inflated tire until the whole thing stops hissing. The tire’s hard to the push at that point - at least as hard as when I put 90 psi in at the start of the ride
Likes For Litespud:
Old 03-22-21, 12:23 AM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by Litespud
based on my thumb, >90 psi. I run the gas into a minimally inflated tire until the whole thing stops hissing. The tire’s hard to the push at that point - at least as hard as when I put 90 psi in at the start of the ride
The thumb doesn't lie
Old 03-22-21, 01:16 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Topeak Race Rocket HP and HPX. Best buys I've tried in mini pumps.
Old 03-22-21, 08:06 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
I have a Topeak Road Morph G clipped into a Blackburn mount that fits in between the downtube bottle cage & frame on all of my bikes.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 03-22-21, 08:18 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
The thumb doesn't lie
Another nice thing about Lezyne Road Drive is that there’s an optional pressure gauge hose you can get and which stows, like the original, discreetly inside the pump.

Some external gauge pumps, like the Specialized Air Tool Switch Comp, look cheesy to me, even though having a gauge is kind of nice.
Old 03-22-21, 08:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10958 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Topeak Road Morph G on all my bikes. I attach it to the seat tube bottle cage bosses behind the bottle cage. It isnt small, but it stays out of the way and is in line with the seat tube. The extendable hose and pivoting handle are really nice since it allows you to push down on the pump as pressure increases and pumping becomes more difficult.
I have co2 also on my main road bike and my gravel bike.
Old 03-22-21, 09:14 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I have a Topeak Road Morph G clipped into a Blackburn mount that fits in between the downtube bottle cage & frame on all of my bikes.
This is the perfect setup. Once you've used the Road Morph, you'll never use anything else.
Old 03-22-21, 10:19 AM
Doomrider74

Thanks for the input, folks.

The Topeak Morph looks like a great tool but its huge, and the Race Rocket HP doesn't appear to be available anywhere here in Canada at the moment. I'm veering towards the Lezyne CO2, at the moment.
Old 03-22-21, 10:44 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm a belt-and-suspenders type, so I carry a Lezyne minipump under the bottle cage and a saddle bag with CO2, spare tube, and patch kit. First flat gets a new tube and CO2, and I can be back on the road in 5 minutes. Subsequent flats (they seem to come in bunches) get a patch and a pump.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-22-21, 11:08 AM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by caloso
I'm a belt-and-suspenders type, so I carry a Lezyne minipump under the bottle cage and a saddle bag with CO2, spare tube, and patch kit. First flat gets a new tube and CO2, and I can be back on the road in 5 minutes. Subsequent flats (they seem to come in bunches) get a patch and a pump.
I think that's the approach I'm going to take.
Likes For Doomrider74:
Old 03-22-21, 12:02 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Topeak Race Rocket HP has worked well for me and I get more than my share of flats. Very compact and light but it does take a lot of pumping. For 25c tires, about 150 strokes to get enough to ride on. Probably closer to 200 to get the pressure I usually run. Just recently got a CO2 inflator but still carrying the pump and spare tube and patch kit.

Plenty of good pumps available. The only thing I would say is do not get one with a fixed head. They have no advantages that I can see and are way harder to use.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 03-22-21, 12:18 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I've had good experience with the Lezyne Road Drive. My weak arms have had no trouble inflating tires to road pressures, which I couldn't say has been the case with other mini-pumps.

I've had a 50/50 experience with Birzman pumps. My first one is a combo with CO2 that seems to do the job, though it isn'tas easy to pump as the Lezyne. I wanted to buy another for my second bike, but accidentally got a different model that has been a total disaster, falling apart on first use (now waiting for a replacement hose and head) and making me rethink the combo pump design. That's how I ended up going with the Lezyne on the downtube and a PDW Shiny Object inflator in my saddlebag.
Likes For surak:
Old 03-22-21, 12:44 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
I used to ride with 2 20g CO2 cartridges and a Lezyne Pocket Drive pump. Last year I picked up a Fumpa pump. Total game changer. This thing is great. It can easily fill a half-dozen 25mm tires before the battery runs out, it has a pressure gauge so you know how much is the tire, and it is small enough that I can carry it with me in my commuter bag. My only complaint about it is that the pump is LOUD when it runs, and is a little big to carry in the jersey pocket. Otherwise it is great. I'm thinking of picking up a miniFumpa so I have one that is easier to carry in the jersey pocket.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 03-22-21, 01:31 PM
Jazzguitar

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I've had good luck with the Lezyne Road Drive. It's pretty quick to get up to pressure and it weighs less than 2x Co2 canisters and a chuck.
Likes For Jazzguitar:
Old 03-22-21, 08:56 PM
sjammer

Bikes: Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 41 Posts
I carry the co2 cartridge with the adapter. It is small and fits in bag.
Likes For sjammer:
Old 03-22-21, 09:37 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
This is the perfect setup. Once you've used the Road Morph, you'll never use anything else.
I got the Mini-morph (because the Road Morph was just that bit too big) and loved it for a while, but then the seal broke and it just wouldn’t pump.

So I got a Zefal HP frame pump. It sits snug under the crossbar, is rock solid, pumps my 23c tires to 80ish with no problem, and suits the classic look of my Columbus steel 1990s bike.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 03-23-21, 10:18 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Blackburn Airstik.

Filling a tire is character-building, but super light & fits in the saddle bag.
Likes For woodcraft:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.