Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Should Shawn Bradley's accident make us anxious to ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Should Shawn Bradley's accident make us anxious to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-21, 08:48 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
You've got that backwards. The recommendation by the AAA to refer to car accidents as car crashes is a very recent development and can be seen as ironic, given the historical background.

From this page:

Using the word "accident" to describe car crashes might seem natural. But early coverage of crashes in the 1910s and 1920s depicted the vehicles as dangerous killing machines — and their violent collisions were seldom called accidents.

In response to the emerging public backlash against cars (which were, at the time, largely owned and driven by the wealthy), automakers and other industry groups pushed for a new set of laws that kept pedestrians off the streets, except at crosswalks.

This view influenced legal proceedings, too. Before formal traffic laws existed, judges typically ruled that in any collision, the larger vehicle — that is, the car — was to blame. In most pedestrian deaths, drivers were charged with manslaughter regardless of the circumstances of the crash.

To get people to follow these laws, they tried to shape news coverage of crashes. The National Automobile Chamber of Commerce, an industry group, established a free wire service for newspapers: Reporters could send in the basic details of a traffic collision, and would get in return a complete article to print the next day. These articles, printed widely, shifted the blame for crashes to pedestrians — and almost always used the word "accident."
I don’t think I have it backwards at all. What you see as ironic I see as unlikely, namely that the political agenda of AAA is cycling advocacy. AAA is an automotive insurance company, whose only purpose is to maximize revenue and minimize pay-outs. That they want people to call car-to-car collisions in Wisconsin crashes rather than accidents has zero to do with cycling and everything to do with insurance structres.
Old 03-19-21, 09:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
of course riding gravel is not zero risk but most gravel routes have far less or zero traffic so fewer vehicles is almost certainly going to mean lowering one’s risk of getting hit while riding.
Re-read the post I was responding to. Carefully.
Old 03-19-21, 09:27 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
He was just a block away from his home and some driver hit him. Does this make you nervous now? What can I do to make my mind feel more at ease?
He's 7'6" tall and all but impossible to miss on the road. That said, in any bunch of 10,000 drivers there are going to be a number that aren't paying attention, a number disliking someone in "their way" on the road ahead, or whatever.

Doesn't make me particularly nervous. I've always been highly concerned over essential visibility. On the handful of roads where I ride that car's have limited options, I've always been more concerned than normally is the case, for good reason. Always will be. Nicely, since I'm more frequently doing larger parks on the MUPs for my basic pleasure riding, I'm dealing less and less with vehicle traffic coming at me from behind.

A good lesson for me from years ago -- Driving a vehicle in normal sunny mid-morning light, once, along a road I'd drive a thousand times, I came upon an 18-wheeler truck backing up into the street. (Two lanes each direction, with a center turn lane, so not exactly a small street.) There was no flagger in the street warning people of the truck's intentions. I was a bit more than a quarter mile distant as he began to slowly (really slowly) back up. I watched as he was doing this, slowing as I approached. But I was surprised and a bit scared by how nearly invisible the truck appeared. It's coloration and visual patterns happened to blend in quite well with all of the surrounding cues from the nearby buildings. At first glance, there was no truck, seemingly. I'd seen it from a good distance away, so I'd seen the tail end clearly peaking out into the roadway. But at a closer vantage point (~150ft or so), it was really hard to pick out the truck from the background. Point being: you never know if such a situation's going to arise, where a driver's glance or two simply won't register that a truck, cyclist or other vehicle is right there and about to be struck.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 03-19-21 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-19-21, 09:29 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I don’t think I have it backwards at all. What you see as ironic I see as unlikely, namely that the political agenda of AAA is cycling advocacy. AAA is an automotive insurance company, whose only purpose is to maximize revenue and minimize pay-outs. That they want people to call car-to-car collisions in Wisconsin crashes rather than accidents has zero to do with cycling and everything to do with insurance structres.
If you're right, and it seems that you do indeed know what you're talking about, how does calling car crashes "crashes" rather than "accidents" benefit AAA? Can you provide a link that spells out how AAA benefits?
Old 03-19-21, 09:48 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
If you're right, and it seems that you do indeed know what you're talking about, how does calling car crashes "crashes" rather than "accidents" benefit AAA? Can you provide a link that spells out how AAA benefits?
Huh? Do you not know how insurance works in Wisconsin? All drivers must have it, and selling it is how AAA gets their money. They have to pay out money when people make crashes, but they want to keep as much money as possible, so they don’t want people to have crashes. As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, yeah, I think it’s highly questionable whether calling accidents crashes will have any impact towards reducing the number of crashes, but when you’re in the vehicle insurance biz in big way like AAA is, anything that might reduce payouts and make your customers feel like you’re a company more concerned about their safety than their money is worth trying.
Old 03-19-21, 09:53 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
And I think the impetus for this change in characterization didn't start with AAA. It's more of an urban-planner kind of thing, I would think.

Let's just call them "episodes." I had an episode with a car when I was a kid, pretty much 51/49 fault. I came out into an alley between parked cars, and got hit by a car that shouldn't have been in the alley. She picked me up, took me home, and my mom took me to the emergency room.

I also had a bush episode - hooked my handlebar on an old bush next to the sidewalk that I had ridden on to avoid some construction. Bam, down I went, broken humerus.

First one is more of a crash, second one is an accident. Just a thought.

Not sure how I got there, but I watched a news report from Wisconsin about AAA's idea of making it a New Year's Resolution to say "crash" instead of 'accident."
... accident can have the effect of making people think that it’s something that’s kind of unavoidable or just an inevitable part of driving,” says Jarmusz.
As Elvis Costello said, "Accidents will happen." But they don't need to, and hopefully calling them "crashes" will make people realize that they are avoidable. I mean, if they were all just "accidents," personal injury lawyers wouldn't make much of a living, right?

Last edited by Chinghis; 03-19-21 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Added quote
Old 03-19-21, 09:57 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
Does this make you nervous now? What can I do to make my mind feel more at ease?
Millions of riders rode today without incident. The same the day before, and the same the day before that. While you should take his accident as a reminder of what CAN go wrong and take steps to avoid that, you need to have a sense of proportion and recognize that like millions of other cyclists, you're likely to get on your bike, have a nice ride, and come home safe.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 03-19-21, 10:12 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
And this point illustrates what?
Old 03-19-21, 10:21 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Millions of riders rode today without incident. The same the day before, and the same the day before that. While you should take his accident as a reminder of what CAN go wrong and take steps to avoid that, you need to have a sense of proportion and recognize that like millions of other cyclists, you're likely to get on your bike, have a nice ride, and come home safe.
Well said.
Unfortunately, sheep will continue to be sheep.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 03-19-21, 11:15 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Of course not, keep riding.

I always respected Shawn a lot. Really enjoyed in the NBA that he would try to block shots. I know the cool thing to do was to "ooh" and "ahh" at the dunks...but those dunkers are a dime a dozen. At least Shawn would try to block the shots. Even after getting yammed on pretty hard, he was still trying to block them. Not to mention a LOT of disrespect from his peers.

I hope he beats this and heals completely.

But I'm still riding my bike just as much (and more if I can).
Old 03-19-21, 11:48 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
another question. Should what happened to Shawn Bradley make other former NBA players more anxious to ride?
Old 03-19-21, 11:48 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Are there details?
We don't need no stinkin' details.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-19-21, 11:49 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
another question. Should what happened to Shawn Bradley make other former NBA players more anxious to ride?
I already ride. It makes me more anxious about joining the NBA.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-19-21, 12:12 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Are there details as to how this collision took place?

I have been driving down the road when a commuter type cyclist hopped off the curb and swerved into traffic. I have seen plenty of cyclists swerve out of the bike lanes quickly and into traffic without looking during group rides.

Are there details?
I rode across the US back in '99. A year or so later I was at a rest stop during a local one-day event. Met a guy who had been doing the same a few years previously--until he got hit by a semi and somehow survived. The guy freely admitted that it was the end of a long day. He was tired. He saw his hotel on the other side of the road and crossed into traffic without thinking or looking.

In any event great job at another "I'm scared" thread not in A&S where it belongs (but would not get as much attention).
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-19-21, 12:13 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
And this point illustrates what?
That tragic biking collisions don't always have to happen with a car.
Old 03-19-21, 12:37 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos
That tragic biking collisions don't always have to happen with a car.
Again, what is your point? I said you were less likely to get killed, not that it can't ever happen.

EDIT: Sorry, realized you were responding to someone else. But still, he was not claiming nothing could happen. You can also wreck and kill yourself on a road bike with no car involved. Cars are just one less thing to worry about when there are fewer (or none) of them.

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-19-21 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-22-21, 11:19 AM
Kdunce

Bikes: Roubaix/ BMC Roadmachine

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I was hit from behind last September. Distracted driver moving at around 100 Kms. Luckily he only clipped my saddle and left hand with his mirror I believe. Broke my hand and sent me arse over teakettle down the pavement. Resulting in some spectacular road rash! I now have a much brighter rear light and a bar end mirror. Still extremely nervous when being passed. I will say that the brighter light appears to produce wider passing...but that could be wishful thinking! Ride safe✌️
Likes For Kdunce:
Old 03-22-21, 11:26 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
If you look at bike accident statistics bicyclists getting hit from cars coming up behind them are pretty rare. Of all the things to worry about getting blindsided from behind should be way down on the list.

But realize asking people to put things in perspective is a difficult conversation.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 03-22-21, 11:47 AM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
If you look at bike accident statistics bicyclists getting hit from cars coming up behind them are pretty rare. Of all the things to worry about getting blindsided from behind should be way down on the list.

But realize asking people to put things in perspective is a difficult conversation.
I ride early in the morning before the sun comes up. What makes me the most nervous is cars turning right at an intersection. I always slow down to make sure they see me. If I did not have this practice, I would be been hit numerous times as cars turned right without stopping at the stop sign.
Likes For jskash:
Old 03-22-21, 11:57 AM
viffer
Live to Ride

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
Really devastating news. Prayers to Shawn Bradley. That's gotta be hard for him. He was just a block away from his home and some driver hit him. Does this make you nervous now? What can I do to make my mind feel more at ease?
I was run over by a drunk driver exactly a year ago. She was driving completely on the wrong side of a narrow winding road. I never had a chance when she came barrelling around a blind corner within inches of the left hand curb. Popped me 6 feet into the air off her front bumper and I landed in the ditch by the side of the road. I still have aches and pains and scars which have not healed to this day. After briefly stopping she took off and tried to get away but thankfully some fellow riders managed to grab her license plate number and chase her down. Moral of the story is you could be the most careful rider in the world and do absolutely nothing wrong and still be a victim of some crazy reckless moron. Not a whole lot you can do about it. I’m back on my bike now but I do think about that day all the time.
Old 03-22-21, 11:58 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by jskash
I ride early in the morning before the sun comes up. What makes me the most nervous is cars turning right at an intersection. I always slow down to make sure they see me. If I did not have this practice, I would be been hit numerous times as cars turned right without stopping at the stop sign.
Getting hit by turning cars/trucks is one of the more common causes of bike fatalities.
Old 03-22-21, 12:59 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
A friend of mine was killed about 20 years ago and I changed the way I ride. If there’s no bike lane I take another route. If the speed limit is 55 I take another route. I’ll even walk my bike on the sidewalk if the road isn’t safe. I’m fortunate to have a lot of choices.
Old 03-22-21, 01:31 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Well I can honestly say no because I have no clue who Shawn Bradley is. LOL But I am much more careful after one of my neighbors got hit on his bike and killed in a crosswalk. he waited for the light to turn green to walk to go but the big truck didn't. He plowed right over him. I do not go unless they show signs of stopping. Bike riders do not fare well against big cars. One must always be on the look out for idiots, and always veer to the careful side.
Guess that is a lesson I learned early when at age 5 I watched a schoolmate get hit in front of a school. She didn't look and dashed out to meether parent across the street. She never came back to school, but she did live. But was brain damaged. best to Err on the side of caution, you might not get a second chance.
Old 03-22-21, 02:35 PM
comfort rider

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
No one should be riding in traffic.
Likes For comfort rider:
Old 03-22-21, 02:37 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Mirrors.
I wear them religiously. I see a car coming up behind me much earlier than when I hear it. and I follow it until I know that it has moved over for me. If not, and I've had to do this, dash off to the side of the road.
I was hit once though, before wearing mirrors and not worrying about shoulders. Old US23 in Brighton michigan before it was recently paved. Dumb blond girl who claimed she was sneezing. Thankfully, I was only pushed into the dirt and was able to stay on my bike. Only my left butt cheek got hit by a mirror. It almost felt like my father spanking me again. Ironically, I had to calm her down after she freaked out thinking she could have killed me. I should have got her number since she was kind of cute. But my wife would have been none too pleased.
Likes For friday1970:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.