Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin and Macs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-21, 07:42 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Garmin and Macs?

I'm considering a Garmin 530, and would like to know if their software is compatible with a Mac? Do all the functions work properly, like loading routes? I'd like to hear from Mac users who use Garmin products to verify the stuff works.
Old 03-28-21, 07:56 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
I have a Garmin Edge 530, a Forerunner 735XT and a Vivoactive 3. All three work with my MacBook using the Garmin Express app. They also work well with my iPhone using the Garmin Connect app.

Old 03-28-21, 09:38 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by Chuck M
I have a Garmin Edge 530, a Forerunner 735XT and a Vivoactive 3. All three work with my MacBook using the Garmin Express app. They also work well with my iPhone using the Garmin Connect app.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I'm asking because I had a bad experience with a Garmin app on a Mac, but that was about five years ago. Sounds like all is well now.
Old 03-28-21, 11:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I use Garmin Express to update all my Garmin devices from a very old MacBook pro. Although my newest Garmin 530 can update itself from the Wifi connection without using PC or Mac.

As for routes or anything else, that comes from websites which makes no difference. I'll do that from either PC or MacBook.

I've had some bad experiences with Garmin Express too. I seem to have solved many by ensuring I'm using an Ethernet connection instead of my Wifi. Running wifi tests on the macbook showed that available wifi channels are an issue for my area.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-28-21 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-29-21, 05:30 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by Cyclokev
As an alternative, you can still use your phone with an app like "Speedo Master" on Google Store.
No hadware to by, customizable, GPS, map, historic....
I did try using the phone as a bike computer, but battery life, overheating, and other things killed that deal. Is that app even available for IOS?

I think I'll try the Garmin 530.
Old 03-29-21, 05:47 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Macs & Garmin play just fine. There were a few issues several years ago. They have since been resolved.

The Garmin Express (Mac) & Connect (mobile device) apps are free & do all the leg work of syncing, updates, routes, maps, etc...

If you have a route you want loaded, it's easiest to download from whatever source as a .GPX file, then open finder, navigate to the Garmin device & drag/drop it into the "New files" folder. The Garmin will process it to a route on start up. Or if a .TCX file drag/drop it directly into the routes folder, eject, power up & go ride.

The Garmin headunit will do a lot via Wi-fi for uploads, updates, sync, etc...but what you are doing depends on the ease of the process. The computer is not necessarily a necessity. Even less so if you have a phone with a bluetooth connection or home wi-fi.

My Connect app on my 2012 Mac Mini shuts down when Zwift fires up, but that's hardly worth mentioning. I'm sure it's related to a bash.shell "exit" command or whatever. I just leave it alone restart the app if I'm going to use it. (Which I rarely do.)

Last edited by base2; 03-29-21 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-29-21, 07:34 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Something else to note, is I found it a good idea to connect my Garmin account with my Strava account. I like creating routes in Strava better than with Garmin. I "star" the route in Garmin and it automagically shows up on my 530. A wile back Strava made some changes to their premium accounts and I don't know if you have to be a Summit member for this to work or not.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-29-21, 09:10 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I load from my 310xt to Garmin Express on my 2013 Macbook pro. Both devices are old tech now, and have seen better days, but it still works. I'm not 100% sure if it's Garmin Express, or the 310 that keeps requesting 18 minute software updates, so that's a bit annoying, but the basic requirement (upload all my rides/runs, accurately) is there.
Old 04-07-21, 11:54 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
A wile back Strava made some changes to their premium accounts and I don't know if you have to be a Summit member for this to work or not.
It's been close to a year now, they just call the paid accounts "Subscribers." You have to be a subscriber to make and save routes, but for that alone, it is worth it. They update their database regularly and their heat maps far exceed Garmin, because theirs come from EVERY ride that has been uploaded regardless the device (Wahoo, Karoo, Garmin, Bryton, Sigma, etc.). If you authorize Garmin to pull your routes, as Chuck said, when you build it, it just uploads to your device the next time it syncs. It's dead simple. But, you need to occasionally clean up your routes in Garmin and on the device, the sync doesn't go both ways.
Old 04-08-21, 01:36 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Works with garmen 1030 plus and my mac laptop.
Likes For sean.hwy: