Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Experience with cheaper e-bikes

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Experience with cheaper e-bikes

Old 04-22-21, 12:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Very confusing run-on sentence.
339 bikes or e-bikes?
40 bikes (or e-bikes) that you've performed warranty service, but they were not all sold from your shop?
By "little bit of time", is that time period between APR 2018 thru APR 2020?

So, total of three incidents of "smoking battery" out of how many services that you've provided on e-bikes? and one incident as email, not actual e-bike that is in your shop?
339 e-bikes were sold from 2018-2020 sorry for not making that clear but of course we are talking e-bikes in an e-bike subforum so I guess I kind of forgot to put the "e"
Some of those e-bikes were not sold from our shops and some had issues not related to the actual e-bike.

The little bit of time was last year to this year in that date range I gave.

In terms of amount of service we did a lot last year a total of almost 13,000 tickets from the 4/20/20-4/20/21 so we had a lot of bikes in the shop last year and our e-bike service department was busy through all of that. We started off that year fairly busy and got extremely busy in the middle. I don't know the exact number of tickets that were e-bikes but a decent sized chunk of that was e-bikes and a reasonable sized chunk of that chunk was various online, kit and low cost e-bikes with various ranges of issues. I highlighted a few cases of stuff that I remember quite well from last year but we had a lot of other stuff but because we were quite busy a lot of it was a blur.
Old 04-27-21, 12:11 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
So just WHAT are you trying to find out cat0020?

How many stories do you need?

Cheap ebikes are trouble. Period.

-SP
Old 04-27-21, 01:13 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy25
So just WHAT are you trying to find out cat0020?

How many stories do you need?

Cheap ebikes are trouble. Period.

-SP
How many stories have you got?

I'm trying to find out the statistics. How many cheap e-bikes gets sold, how many of those sold require repair/warranty?

Do you know the numbers? How many cheap e-bikes have you purchased or owned?

I've purchased seven of tcheap e-bikes directly from China through Alibaba since 2017, non have them have issues that require warranty or repair for electrical parts.
I've gotten flat tires, worn brake pads, even replaced chains, but those are just consumables on any other bikes.
I don't abuse these machines like the cheap e-bike delivery folks in Manhattan that I encounter every single day.
They operate their cheap e-bikes in any weather, all hours of day and make a living on those machines.
If their machines are not reliable, I doubt most of them would keep using them.

If you have specific experience on cheap e-bike failures that you've experienced personally, share the details in this thread.
What had failed, what kind of usage did you get out of the machine?
By saying: "Cheap ebikes are trouble. Period." without sharing any experience, that's not helpful.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 04-27-21, 01:29 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The bikes that are shipped directly from a factory in China are going to sell for less as there is no distributor or dealer and their markups between the factory and the customer. The flip side is that there is no one in your country with any skin in the game. To a degree these can become worthless with no warning if the controller or hub motor fails. In a few years there will be more options for getting replacement parts or even help with diagnosing problems and determining what part needs to be replaced.

What muddies the water for me is that the locally assembled bicycles are a year or more behind in performance of the bikes I can buy direct from China. This includes 1000W motors and mid-drive powered bikes and independent suspensions front and rear and 180mm hydraulic brakes without having to spend $5,000 or more. One is still having to go with a Porche or BMW level bike or a Yugo class bike. A concern of mine is that if I cannot repair the bike then it will end up as scrap to be hopefully recycled as much as possible. I do not buy anything that cannot be repaired either under warranty or out of warranty and for which replacement parts are not readily available.
Old 04-27-21, 05:18 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
cat, I've built about 10 or so for myself, family or friends and all are still operational without problems. The only difficulty was the first kit came with a faulty controller which was replaced and six plus years later it's still running. My family had a picnic at a large local park on Sunday and many individuals were riding around on "cheap" e-bikes, but I didn't see any OEM (big manufacturers) there. None had a problem. Of course, real data doesn't impress individuals who are bike shop owners or workers since their economic future is at risk, so they just throw some anecdotal quotes around.
Likes For 2old:
Old 04-27-21, 07:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Real data? You are giving anecdotal evidence as well! I don't own the shop but I have worked in shops for a while and seen a lot of different bikes come through over the year. Some people get lucky and don't have a lot of problems and some people also have loads of problems and don't notice or care enough to deal with them till it gets really bad. Whatever.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-27-21, 11:44 PM
speedy25

My experience tends to mirror veganbikes experience.

Soooooo, I own an ebike store. I AM the only guy that will fix or attempt to fix odd brand e-bikes.Those odd bikes of course are from China. So many different brands have popped up over the last few years. Some of them look exactly the same, but dont be fooled!

Lets take Rad to start with. An early customer came to me with problems that I was able to fix on his wiring. This was after he hounded the company for a new main harness because of erratic behavior. Next was a guy who was sitting in his garage when the fireworks went off. His main harness made lots of smoke and sparks. That problem led to killing the controller, the throttle, the display, and one brake lever switch. SInce then I have also replaced many other controllers and displays. THEY GO BAD! And this is from a brand that thinks their product is reliable. And their customer service is staffed by idiots. I will not deal with them for parts. the customer can get them. They even hired a guy to take care of problems. He did do me good for ONE repair. then he left on vacation!

Amongst the others, I regularly replace controllers, throttles, PAS sensors, chargers, and batteries. Many times the repairs are something stupid like a bad connector. Other times they are much more difficult to find. Then throw in the Chinese seem to be color blind. Many components do NOT follow "standard" color codes. Still others have connections in different places and I have to do connector releases and push them back in other locations. Some of these companies are impossible to communicate with for spare parts. Still others have wacky prices for them. Some just do not have spare parts. So while I play the game of 20 questions through email and send reminders that I have not received answers the customer waits...and waits...!

The only job I do I cannot blame on the manufacturer is a severed cable on a motor. Even some of these are semi simple and others cannot be accomplished without hall sensor replacement.

Then lets switch to the reputable brands I sell- I do... tune-ups. Flat tire repairs. Gee all the normal bike stuff! Occasionally I get a warranty repair, but those are few and far between.

No I havent kept count to give you REAL statistics. Its just what I see being THE GUY who will fix a non branded bike. Sure there are people who buy these and have no problems. then you have that one person who gets their bike wet and the switches short out and kill the display and controller.

Theres a written account of my life at the bench. That should back up my opinion.

-SP
Old 04-28-21, 05:44 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Question

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Real data? You are giving anecdotal evidence as well! I don't own the shop but I have worked in shops for a while and seen a lot of different bikes come through over the year. Some people get lucky and don't have a lot of problems and some people also have loads of problems and don't notice or care enough to deal with them till it gets really bad. Whatever.
I realize my experience is anecdotal, hence the reason I asked for real data with numbers.

I realize that I am lucky to have two e-bike shops in Brooklyn that sell, service & repair these cheap e-bikes from China every single day; both seem to seem to have plenty of spare parts & experience to deal with most common (if not ALL) issues on these cheap e-bikes; more importantly, they are both within 3-4 miles from my location.

If these cheap e-bikes serves my riding purpose and I don't have to shell out $4-5K for a name brand e-bike that I have to transport to a park just to ride or transport to get services; they are well suited for my needs, along with hundreds if not thousands of delivery folks on e-bikes within the 5-boro.
I think those are real numbers to consider, but I haven't been able to find the real numbers like:

-How many cheap e-bikes vs name brand e-bikes are operating within the 5-boro?
-How many of them suffer electronic failures & how often?
-How frequent the maintenance are required for these e-bikes vs name brand?
-Do the name brand e-bike have usage similar to the cheap e-bikes such as daily operation in all weather?

To announce: "Cheap ebikes are trouble. Period." without considering the real numbers, seems a bit premature.

Last edited by cat0020; 04-28-21 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-28-21, 09:49 AM
2old

As stated above, we don't have any data on numbers of bikes sold compared to discrepancies. If you use the information in this forum where many DIY bikes are without problems and others have purchased "cheap" Chinese bikes with similar success, it would seem like they're very well made. That's all that can be concluded, but the arguments will persist. For my peace of mind, and so as not to waste a lot of time, the ignore feature is valuable.
Old 04-28-21, 06:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by cat0020
I realize my experience is anecdotal, hence the reason I asked for real data with numbers.

I realize that I am lucky to have two e-bike shops in Brooklyn that sell, service & repair these cheap e-bikes from China every single day; both seem to seem to have plenty of spare parts & experience to deal with most common (if not ALL) issues on these cheap e-bikes; more importantly, they are both within 3-4 miles from my location.

If these cheap e-bikes serves my riding purpose and I don't have to shell out $4-5K for a name brand e-bike that I have to transport to a park just to ride or transport to get services; they are well suited for my needs, along with hundreds if not thousands of delivery folks on e-bikes within the 5-boro.
I think those are real numbers to consider, but I haven't been able to find the real numbers like:

-How many cheap e-bikes vs name brand e-bikes are operating within the 5-boro?
-How many of them suffer electronic failures & how often?
-How frequent the maintenance are required for these e-bikes vs name brand?
-Do the name brand e-bike have usage similar to the cheap e-bikes such as daily operation in all weather?

To announce: "Cheap ebikes are trouble. Period." without considering the real numbers, seems a bit premature.
That comment wasn't directed at you actually. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-28-21, 06:56 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I have been dealing with bicycles and motorcycles and cars and trucks and computers for more than 50 years and one may sometimes get better performance by paying more that is not something that one should take for granted. A $1500 laptop is not going to be more reliable than a $500 laptop. A BMW is not more reliable than a Toyota or a Honda. The problem with lower end bikes is that the buyer needs to be relatively self sufficient. But to pay an additional $4,000 to get a Trek or Specialized e-bike is no guarantee of reliability and with a mid-drive motor the durability is going to be reduced and that is a trade-off from the design and current state of the technology.

The e-bike components are improving year to year so it seems foolish to spend $8,000 on 2019 technology going into the 2020 and 2021 bikes. It seems more prudent to buy something for the short term when it comes to e-bikes and even if one spends $1,000 on repairs and parts for it over the following 2-3 years the owner still comes out ahead. Lots of opinions but nothiing in terms of real world empiracal testing of the bike components or any information on MTBF for the hub or mid drive motors or the controllers or the battery packs. It is really a crap shoot at this point in time.
Old 04-28-21, 09:57 PM
2old

I've found that individuals who rate products on Amazon are very picky. Some items that I think are fantastic only average four stars (of five); yet if you look at Ancheer e-bikes, the average for all of the ones I looked at was four plus stars. Somebody is happy as well as all the people I saw at the park Sunday enjoying their inexpensive e-bikes (didn't see nary an OEM mid-drive). There were at least a couple of individuals on $349 Swagtron (AFAIK) e-bikes from COSTCO having a blast.
Old 04-28-21, 10:44 PM
speedy25

So a few weeks back, one of those odd brand ebikes came to my shop. It had multiple problems, some from poor assembly and some by owner abuse, but it left the store repaired, running, and more importantly- Safe.

Today? ITS BAAAAACK! Something happened where it wont turn on. It has to go to the back of the line so it may be a while before I find what is screwed up this time.

Just a typical story about a cheap costco bike.
Old 04-29-21, 07:40 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

BTDT many times, seen too many similar situations with regular bicycles, too.
If the first visit to the shop was due to owner abuse, likely repeat business for the shop if you just treat the customer nicely; who knows, maybe the person will buy an expensive e-bike from your shop in the future if you actually spent time with them explain the difference and find something that suits their riding needs.
Kill 'em with kindness and you may have a customer for life.
Old 04-29-21, 09:14 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
I
The e-bike components are improving year to year so it seems foolish to spend $8,000 on 2019 technology going into the 2020 and 2021 bikes. It seems more prudent to buy something for the short term when it comes to e-bikes and even if one spends $1,000 on repairs and parts for it over the following 2-3 years the owner still comes out ahead. Lots of opinions but nothiing in terms of real world empiracal testing of the bike components or any information on MTBF for the hub or mid drive motors or the controllers or the battery packs. It is really a crap shoot at this point in time.
well if you need reliability having to spend 1000 on parts to keep the bike going is not money well spent. my e bike is my transportation and it needs to be working every day. so far my bulls that cost 3500 has only had a cracked rim after 9000 miles. I am still on the original cassette and chain ring. I put 6000 miles a year on it and I want my bike to feel great under me.
Old 03-30-22, 08:18 AM
northernjeep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Not a cheap Chinese e bike but my KHS fatbike that has a Bafang BBSHD 1000 watt mid drive has been ultra reliable for 6 years now. It gets used in weather down to minus 20C in winter and in summer. I am retired so it's use is occasional and in summer the delta trike see's more use. One mechanical breakdown in 2020, the rear freehub broke, so I took the wheel off and took it to the LBS for repair. It has approx 4,000km's now and I'm going to replace the chain and have the cover off to grease the big gear.
Likes For northernjeep:
Old 03-30-22, 09:18 AM
2old

I've had similar success with a steel hardtail (frame up build) after seven years riding off road with a BBS02 conversion in sunny socal where the riding is year round, although we get inclement weather every so often and snow occasionally in the local mountains. It's been ridden at freezing temps to 100+ degrees with neither incident nor maintenance.