Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does anyone carry bikes on a sports car?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does anyone carry bikes on a sports car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-21, 11:57 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
They make receiver hitches for pretty much every car made.

https://www.etrailer.com/fitguide.ht...gaAqb-EALw_wcB

super easy to install, inexpensive to get installed at a local muffler shop. Bought a hitch and rack for my Mazda 3 for $250 total. Never had an issue carrying up to 3 bikes.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 05-04-21, 12:06 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
We take the wheels off and break the Ritchey tandem into two pieces, The tandem goes in the back seat and the wheels go in the trunk of a Jaguar XE, which if a BMW 3xx is a sports car, then the Jaguar is a sports car. Also have a Jaguar branded roof rack (Thule I think) that can carry two solo bikes.

For me, I get the car I want and figure out how to carry the bikes. There is always a way.
Old 05-04-21, 12:20 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1
I have a BMW Z3 Roadster and would love to find a rack solution for weekend trips. With a lowered suspension the clearance for a hitch rack is frightfully small. Some people have fitted them with a stock suspension and have been OK. The convertible top ruins most other solutions.
Swap it for a Z3 Coupe - they have nicely hidden mounting points for a roof rack.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-04-21, 02:44 PM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Swap it for a Z3 Coupe - they have nicely hidden mounting points for a roof rack.
I don't think I would give up the roadster for a fixed roof unless maybe an even trade for an M-Coupe.
Old 05-04-21, 04:42 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
I don't think I would give up the roadster for a fixed roof unless maybe an even trade for an M-Coupe.
You'll need to be a good negotiator to swing that deal.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-04-21, 04:53 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Back in the day, i carried my bikes on a bumper/glass mount rack on the back of my '91 Z28

Where there's a will, there's a way
Old 05-04-21, 05:35 PM
opusbike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe a folding bike with 2.25" tires is the solution. Has anyone used a folding bike such as Zizzo Urbano as a cross country bike or even as a "light" trail bike?
Old 05-04-21, 10:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,608 Times in 2,909 Posts
I have a BMW Z3 Roadster and would love to find a rack solution for weekend trips. With a lowered suspension the clearance for a hitch rack is frightfully small. Some people have fitted them with a stock suspension and have been OK. The convertible top ruins most other solutions.

Russ Roth Do you have any pictures of the hitch fitment and clearance on the Mazda that you could share?
There must be a Z3 forum or a large BMW forum with a Z3 subset.

Old 05-05-21, 05:07 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
I use a Saris Bones rack on the back of my BMW convertible.
Old 05-05-21, 06:42 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
There must be a Z3 forum or a large BMW forum with a Z3 subset.
Sure, I'm on several excellent Z3 sites. As I said, I haven't seen anyone that has successfully installed a hitch rack that worked well without scraping, particularly with a lowered suspension.

The Curt and OEM BMW hidden hitch installed under the bumper with the receiver pointed straight down-- requiring a L-shaped ball mound that installed into the receiver, then went under the bumper to mount the towing ball, Worked OK from some trailers (although still clearance issues) but not to mount up a bike hitch rack. You could weld a new receiver box onto the ball mount but the clearance issues remain.

Sadly, there is not a good solution that I have found. I'm not willing to hang bikes using a trunk/bumper rack.. .Have used those in the past, and way too much potential to damage the vehicle and/or the bikes.
Likes For redcon1:
Old 05-05-21, 07:02 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
20+ years ago, a friend of mine had a Miata.

It was pretty cool rolling up to the parking lot, top down, my Zaskar LE and his Manitou HT sparkling in the sun.
Old 05-05-21, 07:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
I think my Forester is pretty sporty, AND is came with a CD player. Bike fits in the back, so it never gets wet when I drive.
Old 05-05-21, 08:31 AM
2wheelwreck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
You just have to learn how to pack like its a game of tetris, and nothing will shift when I blow past a durango around the corners without slowing down.

I'm loving my Mazda MX5, it is a true Roadster, doesn't have huge HP, the newest does have 180hp, after my tax refund I'll be dropping 2k into getting it to about 200hp which is plenty in a 2300lb car. So not the fastest in a straight line but designed around the idea that there aren't a lot of straight roads and curves are meant to be fun. It is a driving experience. As for bikes, my youngest approves.

Buzz Lightyear hit up Cunningham park in Queens with me and is advancing past the local beginner trails. Yup, in the costume the whole time. A nice hitch rack will do the job, now I just need more performance springs to keep it flatter and get the back to where it should be, my wife's optimism that the hitch rack would come off regularly was highly misplaced.
Should point out the Club edition starts at around 28k which includes big brakes, a limited slip and seat warmers. So also not too expensive.
That looks very much like what I'm looking for
Old 05-05-21, 08:52 AM
2wheelwreck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Miata reminds me of a friend of mine years ago. He had a ‘60s Alfa Romeo Spider and it handled really well but had only so-so power. In a run on back roads against a domestic muscle car the other guy would leave him in the dust on every straight but he caught and passed him in the corners. There were enough of each so the ‘race’ was close. The Alfa was not reliable though.

I'd much rather be the Alfa driver. Much more interested in curvy roads. I have to give up my big sportbike but I still want the open air / twisty road experience.
Even cycling, I don't enjoy long roads but love trails. Short attention span...
Old 05-05-21, 08:50 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,608 Times in 2,909 Posts
Sure, I'm on several excellent Z3 sites. As I said, I haven't seen anyone that has successfully installed a hitch rack that worked well without scraping, particularly with a lowered suspension.

The Curt and OEM BMW hidden hitch installed under the bumper with the receiver pointed straight down-- requiring a L-shaped ball mound that installed into the receiver, then went under the bumper to mount the towing ball, Worked OK from some trailers (although still clearance issues) but not to mount up a bike hitch rack. You could weld a new receiver box onto the ball mount but the clearance issues remain.

Sadly, there is not a good solution that I have found. I'm not willing to hang bikes using a trunk/bumper rack.. .Have used those in the past, and way too much potential to damage the vehicle and/or the bikes.
I just did an internet search on BMW Z3 bicycle rack and it showed a couple of trunk mount and one hardtop option, if you have the optional hardtop. Good luck

Old 05-05-21, 10:38 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wheelwreck
The Miata reminds me of a friend of mine years ago. He had a ‘60s Alfa Romeo Spider and it handled really well but had only so-so power. In a run on back roads against a domestic muscle car the other guy would leave him in the dust on every straight but he caught and passed him in the corners. There were enough of each so the ‘race’ was close. The Alfa was not reliable though.

I'd much rather be the Alfa driver. Much more interested in curvy roads. I have to give up my big sportbike but I still want the open air / twisty road experience.
Even cycling, I don't enjoy long roads but love trails. Short attention span...
Its the "I'd rather go fast in a slow car then slow in a fast car" syndrome. One of the car magazines did a test of ND1 (2016-2018) Miata vs a Charger which had around 3x the HP, the result was a barely squeaked out win for the Miata, the Charger could blast past on every straight run but had to hit the brakes early and couldn't be too hard out of the turns. The newer ones starting in 2019 get an extra 30hp and a torque increase.
Old 05-05-21, 11:30 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
The answer is spelled WRX. Subaru WRX. From track days to highways, Rallycross offroad events to bike hauler, this one does it all.
Old 05-06-21, 07:16 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
2021 Porsche 911TS with a rack?
I used to ride with a guy who had an older 911 with a rack on top. Had a nice bike too.
Likes For BobsPoprad:
Old 05-07-21, 05:23 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
A lot people have recommend https://www.seasucker.com for my 240z on a another car forum I am on.

I just bought a pos 2006 v6 rav4 for the bikes. works great with kuat hitch on the back. if I have to go in the store I can lock up the bike inside the truck.
Old 05-07-21, 10:05 PM
MikeEckhaus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
If you have a car with two tow hook provisions on the back (they look like little squares in the bumper that can be removed to allow for a tow truck to screw in a tow hook), you can easily get some rods dabbed up to screw in and then mount a roof style rack to the rods. In the pics below you can see the two thin rods at the bottom of the rack. Those screw into the bumper. I then just used a regular roof mount rack from 1UPUSA, but you can use any rack that mounts to a crossbar on a roof rack. This sounds complicated but really isn’t. Not all cars come with two hooks, so it won’t work on a lot of cars. When not in use, you just snap the little square covers back on the bumper and the car looks normal. No tools are required to install the rods to the car, they just screw in by hand.

Likes For MikeEckhaus:
Old 07-14-21, 08:17 PM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
For a convertible with a bit of trunk look for a 30 year old Rhode Gear Euro Shuttle . It holds two bikes facing fore and aft like a roof rack. Looks less ridiculous and is more aerodynamic.

Old 07-14-21, 08:49 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Yep, used to carry it on my BMW M3 all the time in San Diego. Used one of those trunk carriers.
Old 07-14-21, 10:26 PM
jayp410

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Its the "I'd rather go fast in a slow car then slow in a fast car" syndrome. One of the car magazines did a test of ND1 (2016-2018) Miata vs a Charger which had around 3x the HP, the result was a barely squeaked out win for the Miata, the Charger could blast past on every straight run but had to hit the brakes early and couldn't be too hard out of the turns. The newer ones starting in 2019 get an extra 30hp and a torque increase.
I am familiar with this syndrome. Meet my autocross car, a '96 Miata. Depending on course size and number of turns and sharpness of turns, this car w/ 140 whp (overbored engine, but naturally aspirated) with 275R15 Hoosiers can outperform many other types of cars. On large parking lots, Corvettes with sticky rubber are faster, but on small/medium sized lots, it might be a tossup.

BTW - I made the door and dashboard, which weigh 7 lbs and 4 lbs respectively. It's been a while since I weighed the car but it's probably around 1800 lbs now.

Old 07-15-21, 10:46 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I carried bikes, camping, hunting gear, kayaks, and lumber on my M3 over the time I had it. Got some strange looks during hunting season in Wyoming. I drive in as far as I dared with the car, then biked in the rest of the way and packed out the quarters.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 07-15-21, 10:56 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
All you have to do is be determined and think outside the box. I wouldn't call any Harley "sports" oriented but here's my bagger with a road bike on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.