Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

MY TEN SPEEDS Site Back On-Line

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-21, 08:34 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts

Not sure if this is old news or not but I stumbled across a site hosting Randy's old website pages; https://cycle.haus/mytenspeeds/
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-19-21, 01:01 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
OK well that is good. At least some of the pictures show up!
Old 05-19-21, 01:25 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Is @randyjawa OK with that?
Old 05-19-21, 01:41 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Is @randyjawa OK with that?
It is all good and very happy to see that all of my work is, once again, available to those who need it.

A couple of years ago, while sitting in the villa that I rent in Jamaica, a fellow contacted me, offering to buy my website. We reached an agreement, he paid me and, sadly, the site got hacked a short while later. To this day I do regret selling the website. Anyway...

I am OK with the site being back on-line and hope that I have the time to visit it every now and again. It now belongs to someone else but, apparently, available for all to access. Best of luck to the new owner.
Old 05-19-21, 02:02 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I am OK with the site being back on-line and hope that I have the time to visit it every now and again. It now belongs to someone else but, apparently, available for all to access. Best of luck to the new owner.
Super good mindset to have about it. Your tutorials were on the Sheldon level as I was beginning, so it's hard to argue against free access to them.
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 05-19-21, 03:05 PM
T-Mar

My only problem with the current version of the site, is that the owner has not declared new ownership. It still states it's maintained by Randy. Very deceptive.

https://cycle.haus/mytenspeeds/FREE_..._Whats_New.htm
Old 05-19-21, 05:33 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I have been thinking of publishing another vintage bicycle, road bicycles primarily. I do have the time to do so but feel like it might, sort of, go against my ethical values because I sold My "Ten Speeds" (MTS).

To be honest, I have learned a lot since I published MTS, and feel that I might be able to help others in a slightly different way. And, I have quite a few bikes to show that I did not have back in the MTS days. Perhaps a bit of a blog, coupled with lots of pictures of bikes that I have not shared yet.
Old 05-19-21, 05:48 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I have been thinking of publishing another vintage bicycle, road bicycles primarily. I do have the time to do so but feel like it might, sort of, go against my ethical values because I sold My "Ten Speeds" (MTS).
There used to be a popular coffee chain in Portland called Coffee People. Eventually, it got bought out by Starbucks. Some years later the founders of Coffee People opened a new shop called "Jim and Patty's". I guess the terms of the sale didn't preclude that. Locals were happy to have them back.

I'm glad to see your old site up again, and I hope the new owner is getting what he wanted from it. I'd also be happy to see new and different content from you.
Old 05-19-21, 06:39 PM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts

To be honest, I have learned a lot since I published MTS, and feel that I might be able to help others in a slightly different way. And, I have quite a few bikes to show that I did not have back in the MTS days. Perhaps a bit of a blog, coupled with lots of pictures of bikes that I have not shared yet.
You could start with something like blogspot and see where it goes. If it takes off and you like it, then maybe take further steps.
Old 05-19-21, 08:30 PM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts
I still hope to find a an Allez Pro like yours, with that grey and pink combo... Good to see the site is back!
Old 05-19-21, 09:40 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
My Ten Speeds sure helped me when i went down this rabbithole!
Old 05-20-21, 12:16 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
same here. when i joined the forum, i had but a few old bikes and found randy's site a treasure. all the bike pRon, etc. my ten speeds without randy is, to me, like taco bell without tacos. just sayin'.....
Old 05-20-21, 01:07 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
My only problem with the current version of the site, is that the owner has not declared new ownership. It still states it's maintained by Randy. Very deceptive.

https://cycle.haus/mytenspeeds/FREE_..._Whats_New.htm
Weird; click on the donate button, and it comes up with what claims to be Randy's email.
Old 05-20-21, 04:33 AM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 1,101 Times in 327 Posts
From TAPING HANDLEBARS - INTRODUCTION

“Generally, I wrap my bars at the beginning of each season with new tape. I do this for a couple of reasons. New tape dramatically improves the looks of any old road bicycle. Secondly, new tape is clean and usually germ free and since our leaders have managed to increase my awareness of the possibility, make that probability, of a pandemic, I try to keep my hands clean.”
Old 05-20-21, 06:43 AM
T-Mar

I have been thinking of publishing another vintage bicycle, road bicycles primarily. I do have the time to do so but feel like it might, sort of, go against my ethical values because I sold My "Ten Speeds" (MTS)....
Well, it's obvious that the current owner doesn't have any ethics. They bought your knowledge and reputation and are fraudulently presenting themselves as you. Unless the written terms of sale has a clause preventing you from creating a similar site (and if there is such a clause, there's usally a stated time period), then you can do whatever you want.
Old 05-20-21, 08:48 AM
Paul Waque 

Bikes: Road: 1972 Raleigh Competition,1989 Marinoni, 1990 Limongi. MTN: 1990 GT Team Avalanche, 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, GT Team RTS , Rocky Mountain MSL 50 Element, CCM fat bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
It is good to see the site up. My Ten Speeds was an excellent resource. I learned about Marinoni on it, among other bikes. Being someone from Northern Ontario, I enjoy the setting of the stories, and the cool finds. I do not think that more posts, or a new website, would adversely affect the existing site if it is new material.
Old 05-20-21, 08:51 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Well, it's obvious that the current owner doesn't have any ethics. They bought your knowledge and reputation and are fraudulently presenting themselves as you. Unless the written terms of sale has a clause preventing you from creating a similar site (and if there is such a clause, there's usally a stated time period), then you can do whatever you want.
Is this site owned by the guy who bought it or is it just a copy of the site taken from the wayback machine or some other method?
Old 05-20-21, 02:30 PM
d_dutchison
Classic, Vintage Mechanic

Bikes: '65 Legnano Gran Primeo || '76 Holdsworth Mistral || '82 Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts
So glad this site is back in whatever form. I recommended it all the time to newbies, and always enjoyed visiting its various topics.

When I heard it was being sold, I did a full working site rip - just for my own reference - in case it disappeared (as it did) or became altered beyond usefulness. Good to know that I can recommend it again, though I will steadfastly refer to ir as randyjawa's old site when I do.
Old 05-20-21, 04:00 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 1,406 Posts
fraudulently presenting themselves as you
Are they?

The page in question was a part of the purchase. Nothing has been "new" for 8 years. Maybe I have a super brain, but to me it is a defunct site. Ownership is irrelevant.

Sheldon Brown is dead. It don't say that on the site. Are you knickers in a twist about that?