Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tales of Horror

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tales of Horror

Old 05-22-21, 05:29 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Tales of Horror

OK, I admit it, a recent thread about rim vs disc spurred this memory, so I thought I'd share the story and as others to post their Tales of Horror from the past. Mine:

I was with a group riding a tour on the coast of Maine. We cycled up Mt. Battie, a short but steep climb. Going up while carrying gear was pretty hard. But the problem came on the way down. I pumped my brakes (rim, or course since this was in the early 80s) and they heated up and started to smoke. They failed with about 1/4 mile to go on a steep section. Nearly panicking I shoved my foot between the frame and rear wheel to slow the bike. It worked, but at the very end, the last 20 yards the wheel locked and I went down. Again, very lucky since I wasn't goin fast at the time, maybe 15MPH so no real damage aside from some scrapes. Scared the crap out of me since there wasn't much "ride out" room at the bottom of the hill. I had to get a lift back to town and find a local shop to replace the brake pads since they had pretty much melted away.

What's your Tale of Horror?
Old 05-22-21, 07:52 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
A long time ago as a college student I toured Europe with a friend on my Holdsworth racing bike set up with a lot of gear. The stretch across the Apenines from Florence to Ravenna was a short steep uphill followed by about 80 miles of downhill. My bike had Record brakes and my friend's Dura Ace. I remember it being uncomfortably exciting carrying a lot of speed in some places knowing I wouldn't be able to stop, but there was little traffic and nothing eventful happened. I've never owned a road bike with discs but think they are needed in some circumstances like touring and riding in mountains.
Old 05-22-21, 10:36 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by sced
A long time ago as a college student I toured Europe with a friend on my Holdsworth racing bike set up with a lot of gear. The stretch across the Apenines from Florence to Ravenna was a short steep uphill followed by about 80 miles of downhill. My bike had Record brakes and my friend's Dura Ace. I remember it being uncomfortably exciting carrying a lot of speed in some places knowing I wouldn't be able to stop, but there was little traffic and nothing eventful happened. I've never owned a road bike with discs but think they are needed in some circumstances like touring and riding in mountains.
80 miles of downhill? DAMN. I need to try that.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 05-22-21, 12:09 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
Driving from California to the Rockies for some high mountain road biking climbs, having the bike come off the roof rack at 75 mph on US 50 in Nevada, watching the bike doing multiple cartwheels in the rear view mirror, seeing bits flying off in all directions.

Same trip, after buying and installing many new parts (including a new fork). This time in Breckenridge.

Starting up a climb, shifted into the small ring, chain caught, derailleur hanger snapped off. No spare.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-22-21, 01:08 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
In high school, I was ripping down the familiar narrow, twisty road above my house,

and overcooked a turn just as a car came around.

Braking hard, the rear tire skidded and I was laying it down, a few feet from going under the front wheel of the car,

but letting off the brakes, the tire grabbed and I shot away to the side.

Still gives me the willies thinking about it- probably the driver too...
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 05-22-21, 02:00 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by woodcraft
In high school, I was ripping down the familiar narrow, twisty road above my house,

and overcooked a turn just as a car came around.

Braking hard, the rear tire skidded and I was laying it down, a few feet from going under the front wheel of the car,

but letting off the brakes, the tire grabbed and I shot away to the side.

Still gives me the willies thinking about it- probably the driver too...
Got the chills just envisioning that. Damn.
Old 05-22-21, 02:20 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10143 Post(s)
Liked 5,832 Times in 3,140 Posts
Early season training ride in Concord MA. I was first at a traffic signal, sprinted on the green, and went down on black ice. My head ended up literally under the bumper of the vehicle behind me.

Bethesda, MD, commuting home in broad daylight with a blinkie. Entered a left turn lane on a 4-lane parkway and my next memory is standing up, talking to a Good Sam who witnessed some ******* clip me from the right and keep going.

Hope those are the worst.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 05-22-21 at 03:54 PM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 05-22-21, 05:49 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8253 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
80 miles of downhill? DAMN. I need to try that.
My ex and I rode loaded touring bikes from Crater Lake to Grant's Pass in Oregon. 90 miles almost all downhill and it was freezing.
Old 05-23-21, 12:47 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Gravel road. Gated, so no traffic. 🙂 A ******g bear ambles into the road right in front of me, sees me, and runs off into the bushes.
Old 05-23-21, 01:27 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 689 Posts
Drove from Los Angeles to San Jose for a race without having booked lodging in advance. Almost every hotel in town was full because a bunch of high school reunions were schedule for that weekend. Flustered and tired, my dad drove under the portico of a hotel forgetting the bike was on top. It probably would have been ok going forward (bike angled down because the front wheel was off), but he panicked and threw the car in reverse. Like a comedy movie, the saddle plopped down on the hood in front of us with a thud. Borrowed the hotel's Yellow Pages to determine the bike shop with the earliest hours to get any saddle onto my bike before my first event.
Old 05-23-21, 08:50 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8253 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Gravel road. Gated, so no traffic. 🙂 A ******g bear ambles into the road right in front of me, sees me, and runs off into the bushes.
Mountain biking near home I stopped to look down into a gorge about 20+ feet deep. There was a big bush down there and what appeared to be a mountain lion. I walked around a tree to get a better look and when I came back to the edge the lion had come out into the clearing and was looking straight at me. I realized it could get to me in a couple seconds so I backed away from the edge and got on the bike and sprinted out of there.

In the same area I was on the road into a park and thought I saw a coyote, the biggest coyote ever, but it walked like a cat. It might have been the same lion I had seen at the other place. Anyway, it kept walking and didn't look at me. I got moving just the same. Horse people told me later there was a mother lion who had a lair near there with a couple cubs.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-23-21, 09:34 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by big john
My ex and I rode loaded touring bikes from Crater Lake to Grant's Pass in Oregon. 90 miles almost all downhill and it was freezing.
Reminded me of a 40 mile (mostly) downhill I did once. Cruiser Bob's ride down Haleakala on Maui. Started at 28F, ended at 80F. But damn, those first 10 miles were cold.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 05-23-21, 11:25 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Mountain biking near home I stopped to look down into a gorge about 20+ feet deep. There was a big bush down there and what appeared to be a mountain lion. I walked around a tree to get a better look and when I came back to the edge the lion had come out into the clearing and was looking straight at me. I realized it could get to me in a couple seconds so I backed away from the edge and got on the bike and sprinted out of there.
This inspired me to google how fast a mountain lion can run. Apparently around 50mph
Old 05-23-21, 11:51 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
In the old days, the Davis (CA) double century had a mass start- 500 riders in a bunch at 5:00 AM.

In this instance, there was still a large group reaching the first hills. I was a couple of feet in from the pavement edge, shallow rocky ditch, and nasty metal reflector posts.

In my peripheral vision, the riders just behind & to the right of me tangled and a guy was headed directly onto one of the posts. I could hear the mayhem but could not look or stop,

and still imagine the gruesome injuries.
Old 05-23-21, 05:25 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by woodcraft
In the old days, the Davis (CA) double century had a mass start- 500 riders in a bunch at 5:00 AM.

In this instance, there was still a large group reaching the first hills. I was a couple of feet in from the pavement edge, shallow rocky ditch, and nasty metal reflector posts.

In my peripheral vision, the riders just behind & to the right of me tangled and a guy was headed directly onto one of the posts. I could hear the mayhem but could not look or stop,

and still imagine the gruesome injuries.
I was in a similar situation a few years ago. My first PMC (a fundraiser in MA) included a nice downhill that caught me by surprise. On day 1 we peaked out in the first 10 miles and then started the downhill. The group was still pretty packed at that point as we started the descent. The hill was steeper and longer than I had realized and all of a sudden I was in the middle of a pack doing 45MPH. So...just stay steady, don't touch the brakes, and go with the flow. All went well, but damn that first time was scary.