Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hub axle speed adjustment

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-21, 11:33 PM
sparksguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got an old Maillard hubs that has a 5 speed freewheel, would it be a bad idea if I add spacers on the drive side so that I can used it with a 8 speed freewheel?
Old 05-26-21, 12:06 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
It can be done in principle, at least. You'll need to re-dish the wheel so the rim remains centered between the locknuts, and you may find you need excessive spoke tension on the drive side and inadequate tension on the non-drive side to get it properly dished. Assuming your wheel is threaded for a freewheel, rather than using a freehub system like modern wheels (5-speed freehubs are quite rare, and went out of production several decades ago), the additional unsupported axle length extending beyond the bearing to get room for eight sprockets means it will be more susceptible to bending and breaking axles. Modern freehub systems prevent this by locating the bearing closer to the dropout, so there is less unsupported length.

Before proceeding, I would price a replacement wheel with a freehub designed to use at least eight sprockets and determine if that route might be more cost effective to pursue.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-26-21, 12:35 PM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sparksguy
I got an old Maillard hubs that has a 5 speed freewheel, would it be a bad idea if I add spacers on the drive side so that I can used it with a 8 speed freewheel?
Like JohnDThompson already mentioned, if you do this, the respaced axle will be weaker and prone to bending or breaking.

Also, if this wheel is going back into the original frame, there might be clearance issues with the chain. The chain in the new highest gear position might rub on the inside edge of the seat stay or chain stay. I have seen this first hand.

Another thing to consider, is your Maillard freewheel and hub, French threaded. If it is, this entire exercise is pointless, since there won't be any 8 speed freewheel in French thread.
Old 05-26-21, 01:18 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by sparksguy
If your old Maillard hub is a Helicomatic, 8 speeds are not an option
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 05-26-21, 11:09 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
As a bicycling Clyde the freewheel system is inadequate for anyone over about 170lbs in weight. You will be bending axles just riding it around. As mentioned putting even more unsupported axle out will mean it bends even easier. Buy a cassette hub. If you have an older steel frame set up at less than 130mm frame spacing on the rear dropouts have the frame re-spaced for the 130mm hub and live happily ever after. If you are striving to maintain the original components and have to live with that hub I commend your resolve and wish you success in your effort.
Old 05-27-21, 08:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
If your bike is that old to have a Helicomatic hub, then maybe it's time to let something rest on the shelf. I might even hang up the entire bike and let it become wall art in my garage.

If you figure out what the drop out spacing or OLD is, then you and we will have a better idea of options. Knowing what bike frame it is will let us give opinions about changing the spacing and getting more cogs on the rear.

How bad do you want more gears on the rear?