Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Archer 3 speed seized

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Archer 3 speed seized

Old 06-06-21, 11:16 AM
SONofADAM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Archer 3 speed seized

G'day. Got a tricycle yesterday that has an very old Archer 3 speed. It seized up ! Can't pedal at all. I do not yet know the technical terms for the components, so I will do my best to explain. Also seems I'm not able to upload pics, as I am a new member....The chain-link system, well the part with the pin is loose. It says "94-5" on it...is that perhaps a model #?

I suppose the easiest thing to do is to replace the entire hub. So, any thoughts, based on that little and vague info, that would help you point me towards the correct replacement part....I'll happily supply any other info.

thanks for any help, I am grateful !
Old 06-06-21, 01:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Replacement might get more pricey than the tricycle is worth. Are you good with DIY and small parts?

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/internal-gears.html
Old 06-06-21, 01:22 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
Having a specific SA hub model would help. Does the hub also include a coaster brake, a light generator, a drum brake? Usually there's a model and date of manufacturing on the hub shell, between the flanges.

Have you tried to add oil to the hub? Is the oil hole still in the hub shell? SA AWs are pretty reliable with rarely a broken part. But they can be sensitive to rust and adjustment. Lastly have you removed the chain yet?

Perhaps the best first stop to understanding the SA AW hub is Internal-Gear Hubs (sheldonbrown.com) Andy
Old 06-06-21, 07:03 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
The 94-5 is year and month of manufacture. The model should be etched prominently somewhere on the shell. Might have to clean off some crud to find it.
Old 06-06-21, 08:19 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've resurrected a number of old SA hubs. My advice is to assume that it can be revived, but to proceed slowly and read as many references as possible. I've watched a number of Dan Burkhart's videos, read through the material at the Sheldon Brown site, and printed out the excerpts from the Sutherland manuals that are reproduced with permission at the Sheldon Brown site.

I had a coaster brake model that would seize up on hard braking, and I think I finally concluded that I was not assembling it correctly. However, loosening the axle nuts un-seized it, so that's worth trying if you haven't already.
Old 06-08-21, 08:07 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Having a specific SA hub model would help. Does the hub also include a coaster brake, a light generator, a drum brake?
If it's on a tricycle as the OP says, built May 1994, then it's most likely an AWC with a transfer sprocket screwed onto the RH flange.

Schematic:
https://www.sturmey-archerheritage.co.../pic-156.1.jpg

First step: unscrew the RH cone, pull the driver assembly and check on the health of the actuator plate.

Have you tried to add oil to the hub? Is the oil hole still in the hub shell?

Sturmey of course went to NGLI #00 grease lubrication in 1984 and discontinued the oil port at that time. Unlikely then that this 1994 hub has an oil port.

Last edited by tcs; 06-08-21 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-08-21, 11:01 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
"Sturmey of course went to NGLI #00 grease lubrication in 1984 and discontinued the oil port at that time. Unlikely then that this 1994 hub has an oil port. " tcs

I was thinking this hub was really old and not made by the current version of the Sturmey Archer company. The 94-5 date code could have been miss read and the age reference made me think of the English made stuff. Andy
Old 06-08-21, 11:32 AM
SONofADAM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's the closest i've seen to what i have !
Old 06-08-21, 11:35 AM
SONofADAM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HELLO ALL!! Thank you so much for all your replies. I think I'm getting close to 10 posts and then i can post pics? (at least i keep getting told i need 10 posts before i can put up pics...?) regardless....i may have found a local repair shop willing to take a look. if not, i'll be moving forward with attempting to repair it myself. The resources you guys provided in this thread appear to be just what i need. i have the hub off the trike and just waiting to be fixed. once i heard back from the repair shop, i'll see about fixing it myself, and then beyond that, hopefully being able to locate the proper replacement. price isn't too much of an issue, this is worth it to me.

THANK YOU AGAIN!! super grateful.
Old 06-08-21, 05:04 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by SONofADAM
That's the closest i've seen to what i have !
Yeah, the one I showed has a fancier hubshell, but is the same inside. Complete internal mechanisms are available, and that might be less expensive than trouble shoot, individual replacement parts (every last one is available!) and repair.

These hubs are robust. This one just needed new R springs, (lots of) cleaning and lubrication ( <-- important!) to return to use!

Last edited by tcs; 06-08-21 at 05:14 PM.
Likes For tcs: