Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

This why I hate threaded headsets

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

This why I hate threaded headsets

Old 06-08-21, 06:08 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I've had more quill stems than I can remember and only one was frozen. I have a racing jack (for cars) with a long aluminum hollow handle. I put a rod through the stem, heated it with my heat gun, attached my jack handle to it as a long breaker bar and popped it pretty easily.

So really you needed a long breaker bar.
There was no quill in there.
Old 06-08-21, 06:09 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Originally Posted by Maelochs
What you hate is bad maintenance, not a particular headset style.

I once removed a stuck bottom bracket---I used a breaker bar long enough to bend the handle on my ratchet. Eventually I won .... I took out the bottom bracket and the threads from the shell, but I got that BB out.

I'd have hated the idiot who let the BB get stuck .... if it hadn't had been me, many years earlier, before I knew better.
Bad maintenance of the lack thereof.
Old 06-08-21, 06:10 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by terrymorse
A product that seizes up from corrosion is the product of poor design

The threadless headset-quill stem combination is a poor design.
It was a threaded headset with no quill stem. I've removed quill stems without a problem with the exception of one, and that require amputation.
Old 06-08-21, 06:11 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Galvanic welding, I think they call it ...... who hasn't wondered if the seat post was ever coming out of the frame?
The seat post will come out, hell or highwater.
Old 06-08-21, 06:13 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

A well designed product continues to function with poor maintenance.
All things do have a point where they will break down if not maintained. Entropy, chaos and all of that other not so good stuff.
Old 06-08-21, 06:18 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Oddly enough I'm surprised that a painted stem would corrode to the point of seizing. I'd almost place my bets on the stem being slightly oversized, and "persuaded" into the steering tube.

I'm with Terry here, consumer designs that are more forgiving to neglect are better, all other things equal. For one thing, neglect could start at the factory. Does it mean getting rid of the old stuff, or merely treating it with the knowledge and respect for its failure modes? That's an individual judgment call. I'm willing to keep some old bikes despite needing a bit of TLC and care in reassembly, not others. I grease everything.
I think the previous owner left it outside and didn't maintain the bike. There's surface rust on the brakes, rear shifter, and chainring. Water or moisture must of have seeped in, and caused it to rust via galvanic corrosion over time. I'll soak the rusted parts in evapo-rust, and maybe spray them down with a rust inhibitor.
Likes For grizzly907la:
Old 06-08-21, 06:23 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly907la
HAHAHA!!!! I wouldn't even know where to start on that one.
Here.

​​​​​​https://www.google.com/search?q=stuc...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 06-08-21, 06:31 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by dedhed
The fork didn't have a quill, but was still threaded.
Old 06-08-21, 07:08 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

The seat post will come out, hell or highwater.
​​​​​​
Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-08-21, 07:16 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

The fork didn't have a quill, but was still threaded.
That's a quill stem. Might not have a wedge or bolt left but still a quill stem.
It's the only stem you can use in a threaded fork without an adaptor, which is also a quill. By definition if it goes inside the steerer it's a quill stem.
​​​​​​https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...on-quill-stems
Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-08-21, 07:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
TBH I don't think it's that. The bike is 2009 model, and the person I bought it from, didn't seem very bright...then again most people don't work on their bikes or have them serviced. I event didn't think it was that big of a deal, but then I start doing amputations on bike parts, and that changed my mind very fast. Galvanic corrosion is real. They think that a bike will never break down. It goes the same for computers. They don't expect a PC to break down or have software problems, that just come out of the blue.
Yeah that is common but it is also possible that they never greased at the factory. However one may never know.
Old 06-09-21, 02:38 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
There was no quill in there.
No quill? So what was it???
Old 06-09-21, 06:20 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yeah that is common but it is also possible that they never greased at the factory.
Bicycles are typically shipped from the factory only partially assembled; it is the responsibility of the shop completing assembly to grease parts like the stem and seat post.
Old 06-09-21, 07:32 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by Lazyass
No quill? So what was it???
I'm an idiot. There is a quill stem in their. Managed to knock it loose but the remains of the stem itself is completely seized on.
Old 06-09-21, 07:33 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Bicycles are typically shipped from the factory only partially assembled; it is the responsibility of the shop completing assembly to grease parts like the stem and seat post.
This bike came from Bikes Direct, and the induhvidaul who had it, didn't set it properly.
Old 06-09-21, 01:11 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
I bought a vintage BMX where the previous owner couldn't get the old stem out and cut it off like this. I had to take it to a mechanics shop and they used a hydraulic press to get it out.
Likes For cbrstar:
Old 06-09-21, 07:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
In some situations yes, if the seatpost or stem is not installed in the bike you would grease but if the bike is sold purely online from Jeff Bezos' Amazon and BD that is something that probably should be done factory side as most people buying those things wouldn't think about grease if it smacked them in the face.
Old 06-10-21, 06:19 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked 6,452 Times in 3,192 Posts
The guys over in the c&v subforum hardly ever experience a corrosion issue with a threaded headset. It's usually a stem or seatpost that they find stuck on an old bike new to their stable.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-10-21, 10:50 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Those parts may seize up, but they:

1. do not have salty water collection and holding built into their design
2. are not a huge hassle* to remove and replace in the rare case where they do seize up

(*) - A seized threaded bottom bracket can be a hassle (use press fit). As can a seat post (avoid metal post in metal frame).
Just to be sure I’m feeling what you’re putting down.

-Problems from poor maintenance aren’t my fault.

-Press fit is better, especially if you don’t maintain your bike.

-I need carbon fiber (or wood) seat posts on all my bikes

Pass the bong bro, you’re hogging the good stuff.
Old 06-10-21, 12:44 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Given the techniques you have used to date, I am a bit cautious about this suggestion, but here goes. I have done this with thin walled tubing on non-bike applications. The key is working in tiny increments.

1. Put Kroil or penetrating oil down the tube from the fork crown. Let sit overnight.
2. Heat with hairdryer and put more in.
3. Thread a proper sized nut (same identical thread as the steerer or the headset nut) onto the oiled or greased steerer as far up as it will go. This will serve as both thread protection and also when removed after the following steps ensure the threads are clean and the tube is round.
4. With threaded end on a pine wood block, put a dowel down the steerer tube from the fork end and tap (NOT wail on it) with a dead blow or rubber mallet.
5. If no movement (remember as it is on a wooden block (and you cut it off even) it will not pound out, you are looking to dislodge it or break the bond, not remove it), proceed
6. Put pine wood blocks onto your bench vise to protect the remaining exposed threads, and LIGHTLY close the vice on the threaded portion. TIghten until you feel slight resistance or no more than about 1/16th (or the distance between 1:00 o'clock to 2:00) of a turn and release. You should feel minimal resistance, and do NOT want to actually bend the tube. You are looking to break the bonding from the galvanic interactions.
7. Rotate the fork 90 degrees and repeat. GENTLY as you no not want to damage the threads or ovalize the steerer. Then repeat Steps 1-3.
8. Repeat step 6. If that does not work, then repeat Steps 6-7 at 45 degrees from the earlier attempt cycle.
9. If you have dislodged it, finally relube the exposed steerer thread and remove the nut, which if you did the rest carefully should clean the threads and ensure the tube is round.

If that all fails go to the Soma or Allcity website and buy a new 1" threaded fork. They used to have them available.
Old 06-10-21, 06:10 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3407 Post(s)
Liked 3,540 Times in 1,782 Posts
Those parts may seize up, but they:

1. do not have salty water collection and holding built into their design
2. are not a huge hassle* to remove and replace in the rare case where they do seize up

(*) - A seized threaded bottom bracket can be a hassle (use press fit). As can a seat post (avoid metal post in metal frame).
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Just to be sure I’m feeling what you’re putting down.

-Problems from poor maintenance aren’t my fault.
Nope. Problems arising from poor maintenance should be avoided by design.

-Press fit is better, especially if you don’t maintain your bike.
True, if you are avoiding galvanic corrosion. Thermoplastic press-fit cups do not seize up.

-I need carbon fiber (or wood) seat posts on all my bikes
That's certainly one option. As long as you avoid contacting dissimilar metals, you do you. Materials 101.

Guessing you have had plenty already.

Old 06-10-21, 06:45 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by dedhed

Fortunately had enough thread to install the new one but told him it was the LAST BB that was going into this frame.
I got acquainted with the cheater pipe when I was in the ABE shop during my Navy hitch. Fortunately I was able to get into a much better shop.
Old 06-10-21, 06:51 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by veganbikes
In some situations yes, if the seatpost or stem is not installed in the bike you would grease but if the bike is sold purely online from Jeff Bezos' Amazon and BD that is something that probably should be done factory side as most people buying those things wouldn't think about grease if it smacked them in the face.
That would be nice, however we live in a far from perfect world. I wouldn't have a problem buying a bike from BD or Amazon. I always took them to the LBS in DTLA (El Maestro's...great shop,) to get them safety checked, and properly adjusted, and then would take them at the 6 month mark for a good overhaul. Now I am in a place where I can do that for myself. I have since learned and taken to heart, the need to grease things or use anti-seize as a protection against galvanic corrosion.
Old 06-10-21, 06:53 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side.
Old 06-10-21, 06:55 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Well engineered parts can certainly function without proper maintenance for a long time, however an ouch prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.