Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Wisconsin Classic and Vintage where to ride, what to see?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Wisconsin Classic and Vintage where to ride, what to see?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-21, 08:15 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
A classic Madison ride is out Seminole hwy to the well in Paoli.
Likes For iab:
Old 06-09-21, 10:05 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by justcynn
thank you all! Will def check out the oak leaf trail, half hour before sunrise would be like 4:30 AM this time of year, I'll prob do it anyway, your pics look amazing!

We are vacationing in Door County at the end of July and then heading to Eau Claire from there (where my wife is from).

My son is a big Green Bay fan, planning to take him to Lambeau in late October as well. Hoping to do some leaf riding that weekend.

So whatever I miss this trip, will try to hit then.

And I love Paul Bunyuns, but not sure I can ride enough miles to burn off those Sugar Donuts and Pancakes though. We move to Arkansas 10 years ago, before that - we lived in Iowa and often took our kids to the Dells to see their Great Grandma, camp and hang out at the waterparks, etc.

The return to biking is more recent and excited to experience Wisconsin from that perspective

thanks Again!
Great biking in Door County, just spent a week there, you’ll love it. Try Goose and Twigs for breakfast/ brunch on Mill St. in Sister Bay, my new favorite place, then have dinner, and watch the sunset at the waterfront bar at Gordon’s Lodge just outside of Baileys Harbor. Lots of other great places too, have fun.
Tim

Goose and Twigs Sister Bay

Waterfront bar Gordon’s Lodge
Old 06-10-21, 04:41 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 119 Posts
thanks for the tips, My wife is crazy for sunrises and sunsets and has agreed to do the sunrise ride with me on Friday. your pictures convinced her
'

Looks like you have a nice vacation a head of you.

It`s too bad the Pandemic postponed most of the festivals on the lakefront. They have a different ethnic festival every weekend all summer, and biggest music festival in the world Summerfest!

Come back next year!

Have fun, stay safe.

'

'

'

'

Old 06-10-21, 12:06 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
and no one got me off the hook on this '84 Schwinn Peloton, looks like its coming home with me...turns out the seller is about a mile from the hotel in Madison and agreed to meet on friday afternoon...its a good thing I dont live in Madison, there are vintage bikes galore but I will be happy to own this one and add it to my growing collection of Schwinns

Wisconsin. The state that keeps on giving
Let us know how your trip went - although it seems like a win already
Old 06-10-21, 01:25 PM
justcynn

Bikes: Lots of Schwinns

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by sdn40
Wisconsin. The state that keeps on giving
Let us know how your trip went - although it seems like a win already
will do. Beer, Babes (my wife is from Wisconsin) cheese curds, brats, now vintage bikes, what’s not to love! Now the bucks need to step up.
Old 06-10-21, 01:30 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
if you want to stay on bike paths/trails check out the military ridge trail - classic ride in the Madtown and beyond area. https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/militaryridge

old converted railway takes you through some great scenery and is sheltered from the wind for large sections of it.
Likes For tendency:
Old 06-10-21, 01:36 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 415 Posts
and no one got me off the hook on this '84 Schwinn Peloton, looks like its coming home with me...turns out the seller is about a mile from the hotel in Madison and agreed to meet on friday afternoon...its a good thing I dont live in Madison, there are vintage bikes galore but I will be happy to own this one and add it to my growing collection of Schwinns
I'm going to Madison area in a few weeks, I plan on pre-shopping the week before too.
Old 06-10-21, 01:43 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts

only prob is Madison is a very educated bike town and tough to get good deal in my experience.

you wanna see some crazy over priced vintage bikes check out: https://budgetbicyclectr.com/used-bi...ale-madison-wi
Old 06-10-21, 02:01 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
​​​​
​​​

Last edited by leftthread; 06-11-21 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-10-21, 02:03 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
Summerfest at Milwaukee's lakefront used to be so much more fun, when you pretty much get to see big stars in live concert performances, included for free with your entry fee. All we needed to do is line up early enough to get a seat at the venues to see them..... Still remember watching Linda Ronstadt Al Jarreau, Spyro Gyra and James Taylor, live in concert over there in the early 80's. Another big event over there is the big First Wisconsin Fireworks show that marks the end of Summerfest on the 4th of July. Then there was also Bastille day Festivsl, Festa Italiana and the Milwaukee Sentinel bike races, all happening within weeks of each other in the City and at the lakefront.
Old 06-10-21, 02:09 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
will do. Beer, Babes (my wife is from Wisconsin) cheese curds, brats, now vintage bikes, what’s not to love! Now the bucks need to step up.
What??! No mention of Summer Sausage?? Everybody loves summer sausage in Cheeselandia...
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 06-10-21, 10:07 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
only prob is Madison is a very educated bike town and tough to get good deal in my experience.
Much of that is the recent "pandemic tax". Before things locked down, if you were willing to scour the ad-sphere, there were deals to be had. I have noticed an uptick in the number of (apparent) flippers on CL, which I suppose means the deals that do come up are getting snatched more quickly by those flippers.

you wanna see some crazy over priced vintage bikes check out: https://budgetbicyclectr.com/used-bi...ale-madison-wi
Precisely why I referred to the used showroom as a "museum" above. It's not officially a museum, but with those prices, I'm convinced Roger is counting on never selling most of those bikes. There are some at least sanely priced used bikes there, and several display cases of used parts. And lots of wall eye candy like a Captain Kangaroo Schwinn ad.

Back in Milwaukee, there's always "East side guy" on Milwaukee CL. Always puts "East Side" as the location, always poses the bike on the limestone foundation of his house for the drive-side feature shot, lots of golden-era Treks, Bridgestones, the occasional Nishiki, Univega, etc. Priced on the high side and he always says "firm". But I've never seen a ragged out or rusty POS / BSO on that familiar wall.
Old 06-14-21, 10:44 AM
justcynn

[QUOTE=roadsnakes;22092104]When you`re in Milwaukee, hop on the Oak Leaf Trail at South Shore Park, and take it all the way to the beach at Grant Park and back. (or the other way .........starting at Grant Park)
Best time to start the ride would be about 30 minutes Before sunrise. I`ve ridden this stretch hundreds of times over the past decades, and sunrise is the time to do it!
While you`re in Grant Park, check out Seven Bridges.

When you`re near The Dells, do a loop around Devils Lake State Park.

Take South Shore Road to Park Road, then North Shore Road.

Can`t help much with Madison. Motorcycled around and through it, but never on Bicycle. But, Madison is sure a Bicycle Friendly city.

Good Luck, Ride Safe.QUOTE]

on way home from a great trip.

Two Bucks Playoff wins and two college visits for my 16 Year Old Son and 4 different rides with my wife. The Trek 520 preformed well, almost like she felt at home - funny, she did get a bit fast and loose when riding through the UW Campus, almost like she had been there before....LOL

Safe House in Milwaukee was great. The Courtyard in Middleton was a great launching point onto the numerous Middleton/Madison Trails. Had dinner at the Union overlooking the lake with Family I did stop at the Budget Bicycle Center, I think they need a name change LOL but I did pick up a couple tubes and rim tape. Cheapest bike I saw was $400 for a low level Schwinn and several way over $1000...

I met Wendell in Middleton who sold me his 1985 Schwinn Peloton for $250. He said he road a varsity when he was a kid and this reminded him of that LOL but riding it hurt his knees.. This is a Columbus SL/SP, Suntour Superbe. I had planned to ride it but it had original Tubulars on it, my first tubular Its nice and original except the seat. 53/42 Crankset and 13-22 - this will be my beach bike/flatlander LOL. I did explain to Wendell that it was a race bike and he would prob be more comfortable on a triple crank or perhaps a 50/34 more modern...he had no idea it was set up to go fast.

In total put in 73 miles on the Trek - did have a flat issue with the rim tape failing (hadn't ridden this bike much before this trip) - lucky i had a tube and Co2 on board, but will def need to add a pump for future. It rode great but not sure that will negate all the Cheese Curds and Beer consumed.

Overall a great time and thank you all for the advice, it was valuable! Can't wait to return in August to Door County/Eau Claire Area and already planning a mini tour for next summer, maybe LaCrosse to MIlwaukee...

Sunrise on Oak Leaf Trail in Milwaukee - Thank you RoadSnakes for the tip, it was super early today but great

Campus was hillier than expected, by the ride around the Lake was worth it

My Trek really felt at home on Campus

Last edited by justcynn; 06-14-21 at 10:48 AM.
Likes For justcynn:
Old 06-14-21, 10:48 AM
justcynn

Likes For justcynn:
Old 06-14-21, 11:28 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts

My Trek really felt at home on Campus
You know why Abe's lap is polished, right? Nekkid people, most drunk students, sitting in his lap. Don't ask how I know.
Old 06-14-21, 01:02 PM
roadsnakes

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 119 Posts

'
Sounds like your trip was a success!
'

I used to live 20 miles from Eau Claire back in 71'-72'.
I took a motorcycle trip a couple of years ago and rode through it.
I could not even recognize it! Nothing at all like was back in 1971.
It`s like it grew 10 TIMES bigger!

But I did tour the Leinenkugels`s Brewery when I was in the area.
Good Stuff.

https://www.leinie.com/