Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

DIY Options for Downtube Cable Stop? BMX Gyro Tabs?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-11-21, 03:00 PM
ifixbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I know there are a dozen options for DT Shifter Covers that convert nicely to cable stops... But I'm cheap and I only need them for the right side rear derailleur.

I'm building a few 1 x 7 - 1 x 8's as city bikes and don't want to spend $25 for a set only to use the right. I was looking at the possibility of using BMX Gyro Tabs. I'm sure the mod is doable but what am i not seeing or thinking through?

Will Loctite Red keep them in place? Will there be too much pressure on the cable and therefore move them out of place? No high powered clutch driven derailleurs will be harmed in the making of these beater bikes.

Gyro Tabs
Old 06-11-21, 05:11 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 43 Posts
Any friendly local LBS or Coop were you may ask nicely for a used, right side one?
Old 06-11-21, 05:17 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.modernbike.com/origin8-cable-stops
Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-14-21, 10:05 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
If you are considering using red Loctite as a kind of 'glue' to hold the mount against your frame, NO that will not work. Loctite are 'anaerobic thread lockers', meaning they only harden/bond in the absence of air, like in the threads of a tightened bolt.

If you have a robust frame made from metal you can possibly drill two holes (tap one to accept the mounting bolt and leave the other hole as-drilled to accept the 'locating boss' on the mount) in the side of the downtube. NB this could weaken your frame considerably if done improperly or in the wrong spot, and it will also void any existing warranties on the frame.
Old 06-14-21, 02:42 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Buy the right thing. Every aftermarket and replacement set of Shimano STI shifters came with a set of those downtube boss cable stop fittings and any bike shop that has been in business for a while should have plenty of extras. Ask nicely and they should be cheap.