Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

$50 Kit on ebay

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

$50 Kit on ebay

Old 06-23-21, 11:30 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
$50 Kit on ebay

Purchased a $50 (including shipping) 48V, 1000w kit on ebay yesterday out of curiosity. Doubt the company will be a scam since the transaction went through PayPal. Anyone imagine why they would sell so inexpensively with ebay's return policy and the CC & PayPal safety net?
Old 06-23-21, 12:41 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 448 Posts
IME, transactions as such usually get cancelled when eBay detect the fraudulent listing.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 06-23-21, 01:12 PM
northernjeep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
Likes For northernjeep:
Old 06-23-21, 02:04 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
let us know. When you say kit, you mean motor, controller, battery and all? $50 won't get you a battery for that.
I did buy a cheap 36v10ah (10s3P) off of ebay last year with authentic "samsung" batteries. I think it was $130 (more or less?). I did take it apart, and AFAIK they are not Samsung batteries (but they are the same color!). But it seems to work well for me since I don't use it all that often. Not exactly a bullet proof design, but I'm not (physically) abusing it
Likes For chas58:
Old 06-23-21, 05:02 PM
2old

It was a complete motor kit like the ones that usually sell for $200 or so. Agree that things which look too good to be true, but was intrigued since they accepted PayPal (or I would have never considered it). This way there should be their "firewall" for my CC, and even then there should be protection. I have a good 52V battery so don't need another.
Likes For 2old:
Old 06-23-21, 08:39 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
Facebook is eternally plagued with legit looking ads for stuff at 10 cents on the dollar, including ebikes. My wife answered one for Keen shoes, at 90% off. I heard her complaining about her credit card not going thru, and she was about to enter the info for a second one as requested. "Stop. Stop. Stop!", I yelled.

I did a whois on the seller website and found it had been opened that very day, linked to someone in Singapore. I pulled up our Visa account and saw that the charges did go thru and were pending, Finally, it was off to convince a skeptical person at Bank of America that we had been scammed, to cancel the card, and start a fraud case. We did get a new card issued but it took two billing periods before they erased the charges,

In this ebay case, I don't know how the scam will work, but it cannot be real, so there has to be some hinky stuff. Maybe you get an empty box just before the ebay or paypal deadline expires. They answer and exclaim how they will re-send the goods, but never do, and if you don't escalate the matter fast enough, the clock runs out on your refund.
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 06-23-21, 09:31 PM
2old

DW, good point; the items are supposed to arrive by 7/28 which is well within the time frame for a refund from PayPal. If they're not here by then, I'll ask for an immediate refund, and, if necessary go to my CC bank.
Old 06-25-21, 01:40 PM
2old

Quick update: As DW stated, the feedback for the company seemed contrived, so I went to ebay with my concerns, and they agreed with me (but wouldn't state anything definitively). Surprisingly, I received a message from the supplier saying the item would be shipped within 48 hours. We'll see. FYI, ebay won't refund the transaction until after the due date. I could go to PayPal, but will give the supplier 48 hours.
Old 06-25-21, 02:41 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I would have screenshots of the pictures and description of what you bought.

Some scams involve changing the description on the website after your purchase, and not sending what was described at the time. You need proof of what you bought.
Likes For alo:
Old 06-25-21, 07:15 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Yup. Screen shot the pages. Video opening the box when it arrives. Not still photos. You want clear proof if it turns out to be empty or full of something else you did not order.
Likes For linberl:
Old 06-25-21, 07:55 PM
2old

Thanks; there's a picture of it in my ebay purchases, and I've made enough of a stink they might be apprehensive about a scam. Can you tell I've been bored? Plus $50 isn't chump change, but not the end of the world either.
Old 06-25-21, 09:57 PM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Quick update: As DW stated, the feedback for the company seemed contrived, so I went to ebay with my concerns, and they agreed with me (but wouldn't state anything definitively). Surprisingly, I received a message from the supplier saying the item would be shipped within 48 hours. We'll see. FYI, ebay won't refund the transaction until after the due date. I could go to PayPal, but will give the supplier 48 hours.
Please note that, of late, PayPal does NOT honor their guarantee in many, many circumstances. Personally, I was one of the earliest PayPal subscribers in the late 90s or early 2000s, I think. Over those 20 years, I've filed 2 claims. The first was denied twice, but them finally paid out of the blue some 3 months later. The second was again denied along with a notice that they were cancelling my account because I was too "high risk". Twenty years and tens of thousands of dollars run thru their system, and I can no longer use PayPal. The PayPal Community forum is full of complaints from people who never got their money back, their accounts got cancelled, etc.
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike
Likes For Onegun:
Old 06-25-21, 10:39 PM
alo

Thanks; there's a picture of it in my ebay purchases, and I've made enough of a stink they might be apprehensive about a scam.
Chinese don't care. If they get your money, they think they are clever.

You need a screenshot of the description. You might get one item of the kit. The description should list which items are included. Without that list, you try to prove the picture was not there to show how that item fits in the kit.
Likes For alo:
Old 06-25-21, 10:45 PM
alo

Australia has strong consumer laws. Ebay has to comply with them too. I think a lot less gets resolved in other countries.

Slightly unrelated. A couple of years ago I went to an Australian website to buy an airline ticket. They just redirected it to a website outside Australia. They know, if you buy it in Australia, they have to comply with Australian law, and this is how they avoid it.
Likes For alo:
Old 06-26-21, 01:57 AM
2old

Well, thanks to all who replied. I might learn a $50 lesson, but still have one ace in the hole (maybe), my CC company.
Old 06-26-21, 04:03 AM
alo

Do you have a screenshot of the description, with a list of which items are included?
Likes For alo:
Old 06-26-21, 09:37 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Onegun
Please note that, of late, PayPal does NOT honor their guarantee in many, many circumstances. Personally, I was one of the earliest PayPal subscribers in the late 90s or early 2000s, I think. Over those 20 years, I've filed 2 claims. The first was denied twice, but them finally paid out of the blue some 3 months later. The second was again denied along with a notice that they were cancelling my account because I was too "high risk". Twenty years and tens of thousands of dollars run thru their system, and I can no longer use PayPal. The PayPal Community forum is full of complaints from people who never got their money back, their accounts got cancelled, etc.
I've found PP to be fantastic in this regard. I've had 3 claims in the last year and each was settled quickly and in my favor. They also reimburse return shipping which is a huge benefit when you are buying stuff online you can't see or try on first. I suspect, as is usually the case, the people posting online about negative experiences are a small fraction of users. But whatever service one uses, documenting from the moment of purchase is key.
Likes For linberl:
Old 06-26-21, 11:00 AM
2old

Originally Posted by alo
Do you have a screenshot of the description, with a list of which items are included?
I'll take one. Thanks.
Old 06-26-21, 11:02 AM
2old

Originally Posted by linberl
I've found PP to be fantastic in this regard. I've had 3 claims in the last year and each was settled quickly and in my favor. They also reimburse return shipping which is a huge benefit when you are buying stuff online you can't see or try on first. I suspect, as is usually the case, the people posting online about negative experiences are a small fraction of users. But whatever service one uses, documenting from the moment of purchase is key.
I have only had one transaction where they were needed, and they found in my favor and were able to help immensely.
Old 07-16-21, 01:31 PM
2old

Finally in the US and "scheduled for delivery". Better get here by 7/28 or I'll put in a claim.
Old 08-12-21, 04:35 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Finally in the US and "scheduled for delivery". Better get here by 7/28 or I'll put in a claim.
And...? What happened???
Likes For Korina:
Old 08-12-21, 05:36 PM
2old

Very peculiar, and as everyone expected, fraudulent. Somehow the seller had a history of the item being shipped and then delivered even though I hadn't received it. I read the report of delivery on my ebay sales history, put in a claim to PayPal and they reversed the funds immediately. So no gain, no loss. Guess the seller thought a "rich" American wouldn't bother with a $50 item. I won't get that bored again and won't buy from ebay except from previously used sellers.
Likes For 2old: