Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

1992 Trek Multitrack 750 Frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-21, 12:38 PM
bh85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

I recently acquired 92 Trek 750 frame. I plan on installing new groupset. Can anyone tell me what would be the best? I did see that a lot of people are doing Shimano 10 Speed MTB derailleurs and bar end shifters.

-Can I use Deore M6000 rear derailleur with bar end shifter, like microshift? Is it compatible?

-Would there be any compatibility issue if I do Sram Apex 1 groupset?

-How about Advent X (1x10) with drop bar shifters?

Thanks for all help!

Last edited by bh85; 06-29-21 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-29-21, 01:57 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 875 Posts
Best for what?
Money no object?
Do what works for you, not other people.
Personally, I like 3X9, but you can be a lemming and go 1X and lose a lot of gearing versatility.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 06-29-21, 02:02 PM
bh85

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Best for what?
Money no object?
Do what works for you, not other people.
Personally, I like 3X9, but you can be a lemming and go 1X and lose a lot of gearing versatility.
It would be for gravel riding. Wasn't sure if there are any limitations with mixing the groupset.
Old 06-29-21, 03:58 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
There are limits to mix-and-match. Shimano 10-speed MTB rear derailleurs aren't compatible with Shimano 10-speed road shifters. Microshift makes bar-end shifters in two 10-speed format. One works with any Shimano road rear derailleur from 7 through 10-speed groups (except Dura Ace 8-speed and prior) and any Shimano MTB rear derailleur from 7 through 9-speed groups. The other shifter model works with 10-speed MTB rear derailleurs. They are not interchangeable.

As to SRAM compatibility, that's for someone who knows about them to answer.

I agree with Bill, I see little merit in 1xXX drivetrains. You either limit your gear range or you have huge gaps between gears.
Old 06-29-21, 07:21 PM
bh85

Originally Posted by HillRider
There are limits to mix-and-match. Shimano 10-speed MTB rear derailleurs aren't compatible with Shimano 10-speed road shifters. Microshift makes bar-end shifters in two 10-speed format. One works with any Shimano road rear derailleur from 7 through 10-speed groups (except Dura Ace 8-speed and prior) and any Shimano MTB rear derailleur from 7 through 9-speed groups. The other shifter model works with 10-speed MTB rear derailleurs. They are not interchangeable.

As to SRAM compatibility, that's for someone who knows about them to answer.

I agree with Bill, I see little merit in 1xXX drivetrains. You either limit your gear range or you have huge gaps between gears.
Do Dynasys MTB derailleurs work with Microsoft 10 speed MTB bar end shifter?
Old 06-30-21, 01:00 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by bh85
That's a question for IT.

​​​​​​https://www.microshift.com/contact-us/
Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-30-21, 06:04 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by bh85
A quick search on Microshift's website shows these products compatible with Shimano MTB 10-speed:

Bar End + Thumb (SHI) | microSHIFT
Old 06-30-21, 10:20 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
If you want to try 1x then try 1x. People are allowed to try different things despite what BF says.

I love Multitracks -- if you haven't already seen this thread, you might find some inspiration for it. https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...l#post22123831

They're fun, snappy little bikes and they're perfect for a drop bar conversion. They were basically a MTB geometery with 700c wheels and clearance for wide tires--I think up to 47mm, so they were kinda precursors to 29ers. I had one for a while that first I did mustache bars then I did drop bars and it was a lot of fun. But ultimately it was a bit too small and no amount of long stems would fix the way it handled so I sold it. Ones in my size don't come up locally very often so I'll just admire these from afar.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-01-21, 02:17 PM
bh85

Originally Posted by ksryder
If you want to try 1x then try 1x. People are allowed to try different things despite what BF says.

I love Multitracks -- if you haven't already seen this thread, you might find some inspiration for it. https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...l#post22123831

They're fun, snappy little bikes and they're perfect for a drop bar conversion. They were basically a MTB geometery with 700c wheels and clearance for wide tires--I think up to 47mm, so they were kinda precursors to 29ers. I had one for a while that first I did mustache bars then I did drop bars and it was a lot of fun. But ultimately it was a bit too small and no amount of long stems would fix the way it handled so I sold it. Ones in my size don't come up locally very often so I'll just admire these from afar.
Yea I cant wait to see it being done. Currently bike has been sent for powdercoating. Gloss black. I am still deciding on components and wheels. I might do 1x10 Deore with FSA 42 1x crankset and Miscroshift bar end shifter. Just to make it more simple and maybe lighter. I do have some Panaracer Graveling SK in 43mm that I will use. Still thinking if I should go with flared bars or not.
Old 07-01-21, 11:50 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Your MultiTrak 750 probably uses the same frameset as that year's 720 loaded touring bike... so you've got the bones of one of the best off-the-shelf long-distance touring bikes ever made. 47 mm tires might not work... 700x38 was about as wide as tires came back then, and most touring bikes were on 32s or 35s, so as to leave room for fenders.

As to parts compatibility, as has been said, everything got weird after 10 speed, so your derailleurs have to match your shifters and some combos just won't work because there's one part that won't play along. Bar-end shifters tend to be easier to make work, because the front shifter isn't indexed. (Front indexing is, oddly, much pickier than rear, despite having only 2 or 3 positions.) If you can live with a 9x3 drivetrain, that's what I'd probably do... 9 speed XT and XTR were about as good as Shimano MTB drivetrain parts ever got, chains / cassettes / chainrings are easily available and will be for years, are substantially cheaper, they wear like iron, and just about everything works with just about everything else. Plus, there's mostly no weird proprietary chainring BCDs to deal with, so you can gear the bike however you want, because you're not limited to the 2 or 3 specific chainring combos that fit your cranks, and you can use whatever rings you want because your front shifter is friction and doesn't care.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 07-02-21, 08:49 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
Your MultiTrak 750 probably uses the same frameset as that year's 720 loaded touring bike... so you've got the bones of one of the best off-the-shelf long-distance touring bikes ever made. 47 mm tires might not work... 700x38 was about as wide as tires came back then, and most touring bikes were on 32s or 35s, so as to leave room for fenders.

As to parts compatibility, as has been said, everything got weird after 10 speed, so your derailleurs have to match your shifters and some combos just won't work because there's one part that won't play along. Bar-end shifters tend to be easier to make work, because the front shifter isn't indexed. (Front indexing is, oddly, much pickier than rear, despite having only 2 or 3 positions.) If you can live with a 9x3 drivetrain, that's what I'd probably do... 9 speed XT and XTR were about as good as Shimano MTB drivetrain parts ever got, chains / cassettes / chainrings are easily available and will be for years, are substantially cheaper, they wear like iron, and just about everything works with just about everything else. Plus, there's mostly no weird proprietary chainring BCDs to deal with, so you can gear the bike however you want, because you're not limited to the 2 or 3 specific chainring combos that fit your cranks, and you can use whatever rings you want because your front shifter is friction and doesn't care.

--Shannon
Good catch -- I was thinking of my 1994 model which definitely could fit fat tires, but if I recall correctly the first 1-2 years of Multitracks basically had touring bike geo before they switched to MTB geo. The first couple years were also lugged, right?

According to the brochure on Vintage-Trek.com they came stock with 35mm tires, but they don't actually say how much clearance there is because that's not a thing bike companies were telling people nor were people asking back then, I guess.

Vintage Trek Bicycle Catalogs and Bike Brochures, Fisher, Klein LeMond
Old 07-02-21, 10:40 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
The MultiTraks were lugged through 1993 as I recall, and went to tig-welded in 1994. My '97 750 frame can take up to about 45mm tires, but this did seem to vary throughout the '90s. Some have fitted 29x2s on theirs without any rubbing.
Old 07-02-21, 06:09 PM
bh85

Originally Posted by ksryder
Good catch -- I was thinking of my 1994 model which definitely could fit fat tires, but if I recall correctly the first 1-2 years of Multitracks basically had touring bike geo before they switched to MTB geo. The first couple years were also lugged, right?

According to the brochure on Vintage-Trek.com they came stock with 35mm tires, but they don't actually say how much clearance there is because that's not a thing bike companies were telling people nor were people asking back then, I guess.

Vintage Trek Bicycle Catalogs and Bike Brochures, Fisher, Klein LeMond
Mine is 92. I think I should be able to fit 43?