Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

A question everyone’s going to love

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-21, 10:32 AM
praise dakinis

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Raleigh Sports, Gitane Tour de France

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

So the difference between 22.2mm and 23.8mm diameter handlebars is just that the 23.8 are thicker, with the inside diameter being the same (as far as I can tell). If I wanted to get a thumbie on a 23.8 bar, exactly how bad an idea would it be to *very carefully* file down a strip of the bar, only as wide as the thumbie needs, by 1.6mm? Theoretically, wouldn’t that part of the bar be just as safe and stable as a 22.2 diameter bar?

*Background: I’m wanting to put mustache handlebars on my bike with bar end brake levers and a Paul Comp Thumbie (w/ road shifter). Running it 1x10, so just one thumbie. As far as I can tell, Soma are the only ones who make a 22.2mm grip diameter mustache bar (their Moustache II, which is out of stock everywhere and not a single one on eBay or anywhere else I’ve looked). I have Soma’s Moustache I, which is 23.8mm but I believe the same inner diameter as the 22.2 (at least, it’s the same inner diameter as their Lauterwasser bar, which is just thinner, using less metal—the bar end brake levers I have fit great into both bars). Until Moustache II’s come back into stock (who knows when), all I’ve got is the 23.8 version, so I’d like to try to make this happen.

Let’s hear it!
Old 07-04-21, 10:57 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Almost no risk, if you don't screw it up.
And by "almost no risk" I mean, almost no risk greater than the risk if you didn't do it. The most likely place to break will be near the stem in either case.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 07-04-21, 11:44 AM
uberprutser

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And here's question for you. what is a thumbie? You loved that?
Likes For uberprutser:
Old 07-04-21, 01:10 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3669 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
As an alternative, would you be able to enlarge the thumbie ?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-04-21, 01:16 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I assume these are clamp-on shifters.

I don't think I'd choose to file 1.6mm down from the middle of the bars. Especially if you have to buy all new parts.

I don't see the clamp range on the Microshift shifters, but they may have more flexibility than what you are finding. Steel straps?

https://www.microshift.com/
Old 07-04-21, 01:51 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I think that the safest course would be to use 31.8mm Thumbies and shim them to fit the bar. Reducing the bar diameter will concentrate stresses at the ends of the reduced section, potentially making it weaker than a smaller but constant-diameter bar.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 07-04-21, 01:59 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
No idea what thumbies you are going to use, but if you can slide it over the full size end of the bar to reach the reduced section, do you need a reduced section?
Maybe a longer screw?
Old 07-04-21, 02:30 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I run 1x11 with a thumbie on my MTB just because I can. It’s actually a few bucks more than an SLX 11 speed shifter.

I never measured anything. I just put it on and it fits. What diameter are the ends of a riser bar?

Its thick enough that it would probably handle file work without issue. I wouldn’t mess with the bar. Eating a stem while a long way from home makes me nervous.
Old 07-04-21, 02:43 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I would not want to reduce the diameter of the bar to fit the shifter; doing so would create a stress riser, which could cause the bar to fail. With an aluminum bar, things could go from an initial crack to total failure very quickly. Failure of one or both sides of the bar can easily cause you to lose control and be injured or worse.

Rather than modify the bar to fit the shifter, I'd do as @dsbrantjr suggests and buy a larger diameter shifter and shim it to fit the bar.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-04-21, 02:44 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
There is absolutely no situation that would entice me to remove .8mm off the diameter of a handlebar.

As already suggested you can open up the clamp diameter on the thumbie clamp to fit 23.8mm.

I doubt if the thumbie clamp wall thickness is thinner than the handlebar wall thickness. If the thumbie clamp wall thickness ends up too thin and fails, at least it’s not like holding part of a handlebar at 30mph.

John

Edit: I guess I was typing when JohnDThompson was posting.
Old 07-04-21, 04:14 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,682 Times in 4,077 Posts
Originally Posted by praise dakinis
So the difference between 22.2mm and 23.8mm diameter handlebars is just that the 23.8 are thicker, with the inside diameter being the same (as far as I can tell). If I wanted to get a thumbie on a 23.8 bar, exactly how bad an idea would it be to *very carefully* file down a strip of the bar, only as wide as the thumbie needs, by 1.6mm? Theoretically, wouldn’t that part of the bar be just as safe and stable as a 22.2 diameter bar?

*Background: I’m wanting to put mustache handlebars on my bike with bar end brake levers and a Paul Comp Thumbie (w/ road shifter). Running it 1x10, so just one thumbie. As far as I can tell, Soma are the only ones who make a 22.2mm grip diameter mustache bar (their Moustache II, which is out of stock everywhere and not a single one on eBay or anywhere else I’ve looked). I have Soma’s Moustache I, which is 23.8mm but I believe the same inner diameter as the 22.2 (at least, it’s the same inner diameter as their Lauterwasser bar, which is just thinner, using less metal—the bar end brake levers I have fit great into both bars). Until Moustache II’s come back into stock (who knows when), all I’ve got is the 23.8 version, so I’d like to try to make this happen.

Let’s hear it!
You could go with a Surly Open bar. They work better with thumbies IMO. They don't sweep right back at you though, if you're dead set on that.

And all handlebar IDs are definitely not the same.
Old 07-04-21, 04:20 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,682 Times in 4,077 Posts
Oh, Soma Oxford is a little closer to the Mustache, and has the grip diameter you're looking for. It doesn't sweep forward as much as a mustache.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=1678
Old 07-04-21, 04:26 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I doubt if the thumbie clamp wall thickness is thinner than the handlebar wall thickness. If the thumbie clamp wall thickness ends up too thin and fails, at least it’s not like holding part of a handlebar at 30mph.
Nope...

More like dangling a wrecking ball right next to the front wheel at 30 MPH.
Old 07-04-21, 06:20 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by praise dakinis

Let’s hear it!
"as far as I can tell" - not the best foundation for your plan - I'd buy new bars or modify the shifter mount
Old 07-04-21, 09:07 PM
praise dakinis

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Raleigh Sports, Gitane Tour de France

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
OP here, thanks for all the love, everyone. (Fewer snide comments than I’d expected, but that’s ok.) That’s a good point several people made about concentrating force upon the compromised section. The Soma Oxford is also a good idea, and it just so happens that there’s one on CL nearby. I’ll give that a shot and see how it feels on my (very crazy) new build.

Btw, the Paul Thumbie is an adapter. You hook up a bar end shifter to it. You can see it here: https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/compon...imanothumbies/