Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 06-28-21, 08:27 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
At my track session at Carson on Wednesday, I talked with the aero testing guy who I have not seen since the Covid outbreak. We talked about more testing but he had nothing new to add to my position other than faster legs. However, he had recently been to the tunnel and tested helmets. There was a somewhat of a surprise winner. He had a test helmet and gave it to my wife. Ugh.

She loved it especially the fit. My current helmet is the Giro Selector that is over 10 years old - hard to believe. I pulled the trigger on the new helmet and tried it on Fiesta on Saturday. My initial impression was it fit great, I had excellent forward visibility and it did not cook my head like the Selector which IMO means incrementally more power.

Was it faster? It is hard to tell without running a specific test. We rode our traditional 2x20k TTT hour of power and it felt great the entire time. My wife thought it looked amazing on and matched my bike. I will take that as a win. It will be interesting to see if it shows up in the TdF.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-28-21, 09:12 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Which helmet?
Old 06-28-21, 02:22 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Last week was a recovery week and then 3 weeks until my A race, a flat fast 40k TT. There is another more technical one the week after that I'll ride the wave for as well. Came out of it feeling really flat, but on the upside, I was able to do some informal testing of my new skinsuit and a couple of helmets this weekend. Even though I felt flat (HR was higher than I wanted for the efforts compared to a few months ago) I picked up PR's on two of the three racecourse segments that I put out and effort on along with a few other equipment data points. That puts me in a pretty good place to hit my targets for the race as I back off the CTL (currently at 122) and get fresher for the event.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 07-01-21, 08:08 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Track night was fun this week. Highlight was the 48 lap points race, where about halfway through, I made an attack that eventually seeded the winning break of 5, two of whom were pro cyclists and also on the podium at last weekend's Barrio Logan GP (pack finish for me). In retrospect, I was over extending myself on my (half lap) pulls b/c I really wanted to make sure that no one else made it up to us. When some lapped riders tried to join our paceline later and got dropped, it left a little gap that me and another rider had to close, and I just didn't have the acceleration in my legs, so I rode in behind the break for 5th.

Yesterday was interesting, PTO day for a long ride. I had to start the ride indoors and be nearby for some family/personal reasons, and ended up just doing the whole thing inside, even though I could have ventured out after 4-4.5 hr or so. I was close enough at that point that I just wanted to complete it inside for the sense of accomplishment. I spent about half of it in various group rides so that helped pass some time. Riding from the top of AdZ to Fuego Flats to find the "B" pace partner (Bowie Brevet) was a bit rough but I do feel good about the ride. Respectable z2 AP for the whole 6hr.

Off today, TT bike Friday, then some volume over the weekend with some group rides. Will be a high TSS week.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 07-01-21, 08:08 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Tuesday, Fiesta TT bike, 3 laps of 30 seconds on (>130%) one minute off and 5-8 minute rest between laps and then 2 laps of tempo. Power production felt about right for the effort. The weather has been overcast and cool at the coast and somewhat ideal for training although not great beach days. The weather pattern of night and morning low clouds at the coast during June is classic and due cooler ocean temperatures and warming deserts.

Yesterday was a long gym workout.
Old 07-01-21, 08:11 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Hermes
Tuesday, Fiesta 3 laps of 30 seconds on (>130%) one minute off and 5-8 minute rest between laps and then 2 laps of tempo. Power production felt about right for the effort. The weather has been overcast and cool at the coast and somewhat ideal for training although not great beach days. The weather pattern of night and morning low clouds at the coast during June is classic and due cooler ocean temperatures and warming deserts.

Yesterday was a long gym workout.
Oh yes, the proverbial June Gloom. What kind of power do you target for the 1 min off? Do you try to hold z2 or anything or just cruise easy? I've been trying to find a TTT specific workout for a while and something like that could be close, but I'd need to keep some power on the off portion, cut down the 30s a bit, and add a few pedal strokes of z6 for the part where I get back on the train.
Old 07-01-21, 02:26 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by TMonk
Oh yes, the proverbial June Gloom. What kind of power do you target for the 1 min off? Do you try to hold z2 or anything or just cruise easy? I've been trying to find a TTT specific workout for a while and something like that could be close, but I'd need to keep some power on the off portion, cut down the 30s a bit, and add a few pedal strokes of z6 for the part where I get back on the train.
On Fiesta, I hold z2 whatever and sometimes slow down to take advantage of the course for an upcoming hard segment. At VSC or SDV, it is easy to ride at the stayers line in z2 and drop to the pole lane for a fast lap. I like your idea of a proxy for a TTT.

On the other hand, at your level of fitness, you could do 2 sets of 3 laps of 30on 30off which would be a great workout for you.

Last edited by TMonk; 07-01-21 at 03:44 PM.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-01-21, 03:44 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

On Fiesta, I hold z2 whatever and sometimes slow down to take advantage of the course for an upcoming hard segment. At VSC or SDV, it is easy to ride at the stayers line in z2 and drop to the pole lane for a fast lap. I like your idea of a proxy for a TTT.

On the other hand, at your level of fitness, you could do 2 sets of 3 laps of 30on 30off which would be a great workout for you.
Targeting 130% and z2 for the on and off portions respectively? Maybe I will!

Also, I accidentally edited your post with the line above (then deleted it), sorry about that.
Old 07-01-21, 05:52 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by TMonk
Targeting 130% and z2 for the on and off portions respectively? Maybe I will!

Also, I accidentally edited your post with the line above (then deleted it), sorry about that.
Correct.
Old 07-05-21, 07:35 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Just finished the first half of short power build, went perfectly with the adaptive training on TR, basically nothing too hard but still productive. I’ve been at my in laws the past week and did my workouts on a stages spin bike, I suspect it may read slightly high (or at least has some degree of upward drift) so I had some higher power efforts that I’m taking with a grain of salt.

kind of wish I had made an effort to ship my CX bike because I’m in prime gravel country, but not sure how motivated I’d be to get up super early to beat the heat.
Old 07-05-21, 07:42 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Saturday 3xTorrey Pines threshold power climbing efforts with the last one 16 watts higher than the first. Sunday, 4th, was a 2 hour a coffee ride along the coast.

The June gloom continues to persist along the coast for the 4th of July weekend. We are getting cooler temps with the sun breaking out later in the afternoon.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-05-21, 07:42 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I told Trainingpeaks to shutup. Wife and kids out of town I made best effort at most useful volume in a week I could do. So no 10 hour 100 watt days. Kept it Z2 and such. So lots of 90min to 3.5hr days.

7 days
16.25 hrs
50% gravel 50% road 300 miles, 18400 feet
Low point: negative 38 TSB, 107 atl
11000 KJs

Best ride: personal DIY coffee metric century fondo in Raleigh. 64 mi 6100 feet. Strung up all the local hills I know of. Felt fine.

Some weird way I could still make “efforts” if I wanted. I did choose to eat at will to gain fitness versus focus weight.

Grab miles, get dinner and a beer, ride home.

Crockett is coming on vacation to mountains. I pray I can manage 90min a couple mornings or evenings.

I could manage 15 hrs a week if I had the time. Which I don’t. Wasn’t that bad.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-05-21, 08:21 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Saturday 3xTorrey Pines threshold power climbing efforts with the last one 16 watts higher than the first. Sunday, 4th, was a 2 hour a coffee ride along the coast.

The June gloom continues to persist along the coast for the 4th of July weekend. We are getting cooler temps with the sun breaking out later in the afternoon.
Is it still called June Gloom in July?
Old 07-06-21, 10:59 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My upperbody and core strength sucks. I bought at TRX suspension workout thingie. Going to start with two workouts a week on the days when I have recovery rides scheduled. First workout this morning: very impressed with hardware and very not impressed with the website.
Old 07-06-21, 12:11 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by wktmeow
Is it still called June Gloom in July?
Yeah, but it does not hang around very long in July. This AM at Fiesta was sunny with typical wind. More than likely the night and morning coastal low clouds are coming to an end.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-06-21, 01:04 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I remember speaking with a ranger at the fire outlook on the slope of Mt Palomar (awesome view), that it really needs to get into October before it's cool enough to be consistently clear, all the time. I do agree that the "June Gloom" seems to have been persisting slightly longer than usual.

I felt halfway decent on my commute to work this morning in light of having more to drink and more TSS than usual over the weekend. On paper it's a rest week too. Still, I'm gonna do track tonight just to participate. Who knows, if my legs feel decent on the way home and/or if some select riders don't show up, I might do well. It's endurance night, so just one long points and one long scratch race in the A's.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 07-07-21, 08:50 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Decided to pull the plug on my second race last night, despite making the front group of 6 in the 48 lap scratch, and being one of three primary contributors to our pace. Other three were pulling up track after a 1/4 lap or less. Still, I felt a bit drained, but it was nice to put on a little show for my wife, sister in law and niece who wanted to watch me race.

On Thursday, I got the OK from my boss to leave early and ride up ~35 mi to North County for the "Vista Crits" informal race series. Killer rectangle course with a big hill each lap, steep enough to be under 20 MPH by the top. My parents will come watch me and I'll stay at home up there before riding into work the next morning.

And that's a wrap folks! This weekend I will be doing the first of more than a few hikes in preparation for my mountaineering trip in late August. Some jogging, loaded stair case reps and stuff like that. I see myself continuing to do track on Tuesdays till I actually start to lose fitness in a month or so, but otherwise just bike commuting surrounding my backpacking trip preparation activities.

No 5-6 hour rides in July and August! Maybe a 3 ish hour ride once a week if that. Looking forward to the change in pace. And the beach (body surfing)! That too.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 07-07-21, 09:41 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Leg opener on Fiesta yesterday to get ready or motor pacing at Carson today. I am treating the MP structured workouts like races / events. The track racing at SDV is interesting and I am sure a lot of fun but I do not do mass start races just timed events, team events and structured sessions.

I have been doing physical therapy on and off for my back the last few months. I found a PT group that specializes in sports/pro athletes. In fact, my doc recommended these guys versus the PT that was available through his health network.

I have been working on mobility with the focus on cycling and golf. Yesterday, the PT said I have met all the mobility goals and my back is ready for the golf swing. He has helped my cycling a lot by working on hip flexibility.

So much like Cavendish’s aging legs, my aging legs seem to be working a lot better with substantially better back and hip mobility.

Last edited by Hermes; 07-07-21 at 12:13 PM.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-07-21, 04:53 PM
ntnyln

I have my two big TT's coming up the 18th and 31st so I'm in the first week of a taper. Volume is down and weekly TSS is down from 1k to 650-700 and I feel so flat. 650 had been my recovery weeks, so it almost feels like I'm not doing anything. It's been so long since I've done any kind of a taper that I hope my body knows to get fresh and ready to go next week.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 07-07-21, 05:59 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

1000 TSS/week when you're on, man that's major. I might hit that once or twice per year. I average about 800 or so during base months and 700 after that. In season I usually camp out at around 90 CTL, including rest weeks.
Old 07-08-21, 02:44 PM
ntnyln

We did a 6 week block where the on weeks (2 on/1 off) where there. We spent all of COVID building up to that. I worked the whole time and went to the office, but could compartmentalize things to suit my needs to some extent. It took every bit of recovery I could throw at it and with life returning to more normal and business ratcheting back up, I'm not sure I could effectively manage that for an extended time period again.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 07-09-21, 09:25 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Motor pacing night at Carson. 3 x 8 lap efforts of different combinations of on and off the motor. The second set was 2 laps on and two laps off at 30 mph in 100.2 gear inches. Previously, a big gear for me was 96 gear inches for this effort. With any kind of reasonable standing start, that equates to a 2:35 2K. The key to this effort is getting back on the motor (this takes a slug of power and perfect timing) after the first two lap solo effort, recovering on the motor (easier said than done) and then drill the final two laps solo.

I am not sure what has gotten into me - maybe an alien takeover or my wife is slipping something like Spanish Fly into my oatmeal but I had amazing legs and it was my fastest motor workout for the routines and I felt great. I could have gone faster. I did have my new helmet and my NoPins skin suit that takes talcum powder and my wife’s help to put on.

You see how this plays out. Each session there is less time on the motor and more solo effort.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-09-21, 02:18 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I can see that I'm going to have a love-hate relationship with these TRX straps. They're showing me how imbalanced I am.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-10-21, 01:04 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Motor pacing session at San Diego this AM. The guy we use in LA came down this morning. 3x2k pursuits with speeds similar to Carson but a more bumpy track and I added a fourth chase the motor roll up 500 meter effort with a full power standing start. We had not done this one together so we set a target speed of 36 mph. At the end of lap one, I came around the motor in turn two to get to the finish line even with the motor. We needed a faster target speed. It was a beautiful day in San Diego with typical morning wind. I had great legs.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-10-21, 03:17 PM
ntnyln

6x6' @ 105% intervals on the TT bike. Finally felt good today. Had a great night sleep last night and form seems to coming together.
Likes For ntnyln:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.