Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dropper on a pure road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dropper on a pure road bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-21, 12:37 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
I'm not saying it isn't useful at all in some situations on a gravel bike. I'm saying that, for me, the cons (weight & stiffness) greatly outweigh the pros and that, on the rare occasion where the dropper adds some value, it still isn't solving the biggest problems with a gravel bike (tires, brakes, suspension, geometry).
No I get it. Makes sense. Someday if I get a gravel bike I'll check it out.
Old 07-12-21, 04:58 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I'll probably be spending most of my miles on Zwift (or similar) for quite some time so actual height/center of gravity won't be an issue.

Probably not a lot of use for a dropper post on Zwift, although it might make getting on and off the trainer bike a little easier!
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 07-12-21, 05:07 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4941 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
With the supertuck banned, I would not be surprised at all to see dropper posts start showing up on pro bikes...for about 3.6 seconds, until UCI bans those, too.

Originally Posted by trailangel
Show the 18lb bike with pedals on ... hanging from a scale, and we'll go from there.....
That didn't go quite as you imagined, did it? LMAO.
Old 07-12-21, 10:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
I see the most benefit for tall people on large frames. Have a dropper on my MTB and use it a lot. Would love to have one on my large frame road bike for fast windy descents. For people under 5’10’ probably not much benefit.

Old 07-12-21, 11:25 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I guess we’ll know it helps if UCI bans them.
That was my first thought before I even opened the thread. Now that the tuck is banned, there's definitely an advantage to be had from have a saddle drop out of the way.
Old 07-12-21, 11:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The quick adjustment aspect is probably the limit for a conventional roadie, but even that would be nice. Just the saddle height a little, for different shoes or knee pain or seat pain that day. Or tilt or offset… You can imagine something related to that Specialized dropper from a few years ago that changed the seat angle too.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-13-21, 12:43 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The quick adjustment aspect is probably the limit for a conventional roadie, but even that would be nice. Just the saddle height a little, for different shoes or knee pain or seat pain that day. Or tilt or offset… You can imagine something related to that Specialized dropper from a few years ago that changed the seat angle too.
Like this?
Old 07-13-21, 02:01 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
The UCI has dropper posts on their service bikes.
Not what I was getting at with the UCI - their literally ret@rded stance on allowable designs rules out the best innovations in frame design, like Zipp's 2001, and a bike like that could be made to drop the seat without adding 400g to the top of the bike, more like 100g behind the head tube.

It's about time the UCI got with the damn times; it's not like a monocoque carbon frame of the most exotic shape imaginable is out of reach to the average punter anymore.

Last edited by Kimmo; 07-13-21 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-13-21, 06:00 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
Droppers have become almost necessary on current mountain bikes due their geometry. We didn't really need them on the 80s and 90s MTBs, but the new bikes are completely different.
What? Are you trying to say 80s and 90s MTBs were more stable than current bikes when descending? I think not. A dropper post would have saved me quite a few trips over my bars back in those days! Unfortunately they didn't exist so you had to make use of a quick release post clamp or get behind the saddle, which was far from ideal. Being over 6ft tall with long legs made life hard work before dropper posts. Especially when MTBs still had road geometry with steep head angles and short wheelbases. Longer/lower/slacker couldn't come soon enough for me!
Old 07-13-21, 06:08 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I see the most benefit for tall people on large frames. Have a dropper on my MTB and use it a lot. Would love to have one on my large frame road bike for fast windy descents. For people under 5’10’ probably not much benefit.

+1 and it's simply more comfortable with a lower saddle on long road descents. Just having the ability to fine tune saddle height would be quite useful on a long ride. I've read that some pro riders drop their saddle height by as much as 10 mm throughout the course of Grand Tours because of fatigue. Also think I read somewhere that Merckx used to adjust his saddle height during races. Having said that, I don't think I would get much benefit on my local riding loops. But I think it would be worth it for some of the events I do with a lot of serious climbing and descending on steep slopes, even with the weight penalty.
Old 07-13-21, 07:57 AM
Zaskar

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
I don't think pros will do it - they're not looking for comfort on descents and they get plenty aero.

I'll admit there are times when it'd be nice to drop the saddle - not for aero, or handling on descents... but to sit up and stretch a bit. I'm only 6'1" but have really long legs. I'm "supposed to" ride a 61cm to accommodate my legs/inseam. But I went down to a 58 with more stem and seat post. The bike is super comfortable 95% of the time. But on those 60+ mile rides... I'll occasionally sit on the top tube just to sit up straight for a few seconds.
Old 07-13-21, 07:59 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
I don't think pros will do it - they're not looking for comfort on descents and they get plenty aero.
If they have to ballast their bikes to meet weight anyway, why not?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-13-21, 08:11 AM
Zaskar

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I agree the weight wouldn't be an issue. I just wonder if the dropper would be useful enough. It would (initially) come with some clutter - the bar-mounted lever and cable. Mtn bikes have the cable routed inside the down tube and up into the seat tube. This would be tough to retrofit on a carbon road bike frame. Clearly, for the top pros, it can be accomplished. I just wonder if the guys will want it that badly.
Old 07-13-21, 08:18 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
Like this?
I see what they are trying but feel like the steps are too big. +-10 deg is a LOT

Also I did not know BF would embed Instagram posts
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-13-21, 01:57 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
What? Are you trying to say 80s and 90s MTBs were more stable than current bikes when descending? I think not. A dropper post would have saved me quite a few trips over my bars back in those days! Unfortunately they didn't exist so you had to make use of a quick release post clamp or get behind the saddle, which was far from ideal. Being over 6ft tall with long legs made life hard work before dropper posts. Especially when MTBs still had road geometry with steep head angles and short wheelbases. Longer/lower/slacker couldn't come soon enough for me!
Point taken. I guess I just got used to it. Nonetheless, I'm keeping my dropper off my gravel bike (at least for now)
Old 07-13-21, 02:40 PM
big john

I agree the weight wouldn't be an issue. I just wonder if the dropper would be useful enough. It would (initially) come with some clutter - the bar-mounted lever and cable. Mtn bikes have the cable routed inside the down tube and up into the seat tube. This would be tough to retrofit on a carbon road bike frame. Clearly, for the top pros, it can be accomplished. I just wonder if the guys will want it that badly.
Wireless droppers are available.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-13-21, 04:06 PM
Zaskar

A wireless dropper... damn.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 07-13-21, 05:09 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
I ride a fatbike as my road bike, since my roadbike got clobbered in a dog incident.

The fatbike has a dropper post and it is a game changer for riding down hills on the highway. It's what got me to 70km/h on the Cabot Trail.
Old 07-13-21, 07:32 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Wireless droppers are available.

Imagine adding yet another battery to your road bike. Say you've got SRAM eTap (four batteries), pedal powermeter (two batteries), cycling computer, and now dropper. Seven batteries!

Pretty cool bit of tech though.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 07-13-21, 08:32 PM
big john

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Imagine adding yet another battery to your road bike. Say you've got SRAM eTap (four batteries), pedal powermeter (two batteries), cycling computer, and now dropper. Seven batteries!

Pretty cool bit of tech though.
Pretty sure the wireless post has 2 batteries which makes 9!
Old 07-13-21, 08:56 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Because the weight is so high, maybe.

Isn't it about time people started losing patience with the UCI keeping bikes in the 20th century? How much weight do you think a dropper on a beam bike would cost?
Old 07-13-21, 09:06 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

It would (initially) come with some clutter - the bar-mounted lever and cable.
Gravel bikes have that sorted already, nearly the same fashion the MTB did. The right shifter goes to the 1x rear, the left lever goes to the dropper, and the cable gets routed where the FD cable used to go. Shimano ST-RX810-LA for example. SRAM has the same thing.

When MTB droppers were gaining popularity a few years ago there were still some frames that had ports for both FD and dropper but they are pretty rare now. The early dropper levers were odd low profile things but they are all now the same shape as the cable pull lever on a shifter.

There was a KS Lev post that had a lever underneath the seat and no cable, that seems more like what you'd want on a 2x road bike if you were only going to use it for little fit changes.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-13-21, 09:45 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I do not think many or any of the modern disc braked aero road bikes the pro's use are under the 6.8kg limit.
Also they all have an aero profile seat post which would add another complexity to a dropper post design.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 07-13-21, 09:46 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Because the weight is so high, maybe.

Isn't it about time people started losing patience with the UCI keeping bikes in the 20th century? How much weight do you think a dropper on a beam bike would cost?
I think they could make a road dropper that was only 150 grams heavier than a standard post, maybe less.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-13-21, 11:09 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
I do not think many or any of the modern disc braked aero road bikes the pro's use are under the 6.8kg limit.
Also they all have an aero profile seat post which would add another complexity to a dropper post design.
Have an aero post on mine or else I would go for it. My center of gravity is uncomfortably high for fast twisty descents without one, so I need to back off.

Likes For rsbob:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.