Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.3

Old 07-23-21, 08:51 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
That'll go over like a Led Zeppelin - new team song ?
Old 07-23-21, 08:52 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I’m concerned, meanwhile, that mine will suggest DK200.
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That would be equal parts brutal and fun.

Maybe.
I'm here for all the unsolicited advice you could want on how to finish solidly in the middle of the pack.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-23-21, 08:53 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I'm here for all the unsolicited advice you could want on how to finish solidly in the middle of the pack.
I'd be fine with that kind of finish. I mean, I'm guessing that not too many casuals are attracted to the event, are they?
Old 07-23-21, 08:58 AM
ksryder

Huh.

First thought is that scene in the Simpsons movie where the Government puts out a propaganda commercial about why Springfield never existed and uses Tom Hanks as the spokesman because "The U.S. Government has lost its credibility so it's borrowing some of mine."

Second thought is that, much like the ride formerly known as DK, I support the name and logo change. But also like the ride formerly known as the DK, what they came up with is bland and corporate and uninspired.
Old 07-23-21, 09:01 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28565 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 1,310 Posts
At least my loose following of track events seems to indicate that competition is at a very high level, not the opposite. What little I've seen of gymnastics seems to be at a high level, too. I would consider these games to be normal, not some rush job that's so haphazard that competition is lacking.
Maybe.

But you got to think all the uncertainty (even this year) about if this event would even happen interfered with training.

And what if more athletes have to withdrawal?
Old 07-23-21, 09:06 AM
ksryder

I'd be fine with that kind of finish. I mean, I'm guessing that not too many casuals are attracted to the event, are they?
Well for the 200 mile event I'd say about 10% are riding to compete and everyone else is riding to complete. But whether you bike 200 miles at 10 mph or 20 mph, it still takes a lot of work and training and preparation to be able to finish.

I've had 5 finishes ranging from just over 13 hours to just under 18 hours. The one year I was fast everything fell into place -- training, nutrition, hydration, and weather. I'd say that a lot of people focus solely on the training and neglect logistics and it ends up hurting them. I think beyond training the three biggest things to figure out is (1) nutrition/hydration strategy (and seriously look into hyponatremia and how to avoid it; I've had more than one friend end up hospitalized because of it); (2) logistics for both the support crew and all the crap you think you'll need to carry on your bike; and (3) heat training. Four out of the five years I've done it it's been brutally hot and the folks from Texas and California always seem to be doing better. A couple years I rode on the trainer with a space heater going to acclimatize and it made a huge difference.

Like I said I'm full of unsolicited advice.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-23-21, 09:22 AM
ksryder

Since I got the new bike I looked at the "sold listings" on ebay to see what my old bike might sell for. I know bike prices are a little ridiculous right now but it's a 13-year-old frame that I got used and I've put maybe 12,000 miles of punishing gravel on it; and have replaced literally every component on it over the years.

So I'm not expecting to get a whole lot out of it. I know I should take the sold listings with a grain of salt, but after seeing what similar bikes have gone for...

Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-23-21, 09:32 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Yeah between the flywheel and the frame, those newfangled smart trainers are quite heavy.
I dream of a direct drive smart trainer, but between the expense, the weight, and the size of the thing when it's time to put it away, I can't justify it. So I'll stick with the Kickr Snap. What I'm currently figuring out is how to get/build the cheapest computer that will run Zwift in all its glory. Turns out, you don't need a fancy $3000 gaming PC. Just a modest PC with a big-ass graphics card, but enough power and fans to run the game and not fry itself.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-23-21, 09:35 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Since I got the new bike I looked at the "sold listings" on ebay to see what my old bike might sell for. I know bike prices are a little ridiculous right now but it's a 13-year-old frame that I got used and I've put maybe 12,000 miles of punishing gravel on it; and have replaced literally every component on it over the years.

So I'm not expecting to get a whole lot out of it. I know I should take the sold listings with a grain of salt, but after seeing what similar bikes have gone for...

FYI the Saturn has DOUBLED in value in the past year. I should have purchased a whole fleet and cashed in!!
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-23-21, 09:36 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by genejockey
I dream of a direct drive smart trainer, but between the expense, the weight, and the size of the thing when it's time to put it away, I can't justify it. So I'll stick with the Kickr Snap. What I'm currently figuring out is how to get/build the cheapest computer that will run Zwift in all its glory. Turns out, you don't need a fancy $3000 gaming PC. Just a modest PC with a big-ass graphics card, but enough power and fans to run the game and not fry itself.
Same. I am going to stick with the SNAP for the time being, I only use it December-March anyway so can't really justify a direct drive trainer.
Old 07-23-21, 09:39 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

The Paradox of the Bike Of Theseus.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-23-21, 09:43 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Same. I am going to stick with the SNAP for the time being, I only use it December-March anyway so can't really justify a direct drive trainer.
I thought I broke it a couple weeks back. I had just climbed the Epic KOM and the Radio Tower and I was zooming down the back side, to see if I could hit 100km/h without accidentally telling Zwift I was a Fat Hobbit, when suddenly there was a roaring buzz!

Turns out one of the chevrons on the flywheel was coming off. I stuck it back down, but the next ride it came completely off. I didn't replace it, since AFAICT it's merely decorative.

Old 07-23-21, 09:43 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Oh, they FINALLY told us what order they're going in, I've been wracking my mind.
The Japanese alphabet is wrong.
Old 07-23-21, 09:58 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Braggart.
I’d rather ride a scorching 40…
Old 07-23-21, 10:01 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by genejockey
I thought I broke it a couple weeks back. I had just climbed the Epic KOM and the Radio Tower and I was zooming down the back side, to see if I could hit 100km/h without accidentally telling Zwift I was a Fat Hobbit, when suddenly there was a roaring buzz!

Turns out one of the chevrons on the flywheel was coming off. I stuck it back down, but the next ride it came completely off. I didn't replace it, since AFAICT it's merely decorative.
Funny story, I was doing the Radio Tower climb this past winter and was pushing so hard, when suddenly I thought I broke the trainer when everything collapsed, but it was really me pulling my rear wheel out from the horizontal dropout. I have zero desire to do that stupid climb again. Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent.
Old 07-23-21, 10:12 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Funny story, I was doing the Radio Tower climb this past winter and was pushing so hard, when suddenly I thought I broke the trainer when everything collapsed, but it was really me pulling my rear wheel out from the horizontal dropout. I have zero desire to do that stupid climb again. Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent.
I spent a long time fiddling with the Battaglin's shifting, which would be great one day and then seem to go completely crappy in the course of a single ride. I even spent the money to buy that Park hanger alignment tool. But I'm now pretty certain it's just the wheel being pulled out of alignment in the dropouts. Next time it starts shifting badly, I'm just gonna look at the spacing between the tire and the chainstay on each side.

Old 07-23-21, 10:17 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9647 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
FYI the Saturn has DOUBLED in value in the past year. I should have purchased a whole fleet and cashed in!!
My son has been collecting Star Wars Lego sets since he was a kid. He's now selling them off (with the exception of his limited edition sets), and getting 3 and 4 times what they originally cost. Unopened and in the box goes for even more. I've been shaking my head wondering why we just didn't buy them up when he was getting them and store them in the attic. Who would've known.
Old 07-23-21, 10:26 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Don't be tempted to sell yours, even after it appreciates to six figures.
Old 07-23-21, 10:27 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10951 Post(s)
Liked 4,605 Times in 2,112 Posts
Confession: I now own two Kickr Powers.

Old 07-23-21, 10:28 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

And, my wheels arrived today including a second set of wheel bags.

Old 07-23-21, 10:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
^^^ Ouch.
Gulls “down the shore” are asses. If you’re not vigilant they will dive bomb you from behind and snatch food out of your hand while on the boardwalk. It can be traumatic for children. I’ve seen more than one freak out after losing a hotdog.

At least one shore town has hired an owl handler the last couple of years. He walks around the boardwalk with an owl on his arm. Apparently works well.
Old 07-23-21, 10:33 AM
WhyFi

Maybe.

But you got to think all the uncertainty (even this year) about if this event would even happen interfered with training.

And what if more athletes have to withdrawal?
Meh. I don't think there's an asterisk unless we see winning times that wouldn't put people on the podium for the last twenty years, and I don't see that happening at all.
Old 07-23-21, 10:35 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Gulls “down the shore” are asses. If you’re not vigilant they will dive bomb you from behind and snatch food out of your hand while on the boardwalk. It can be traumatic for children. I’ve seen more than one freak out after losing a hotdog.

At least one shore town has hired an owl handler the last couple of years. He walks around the boardwalk with an owl on his arm. Apparently works well.
Oh, I know. Plenty of gulls in Coney Island and even on the shores of Superior. I just wouldn't want to... be sling-shotted ...in to one.
Old 07-23-21, 10:37 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I'm going to time my tubeless installation. Since they are Campy wheels, no taping is required. I'm guessing 8-10 minutes per wheel with most of that being stretching the tire on.

First off, I have to refinish working on a Red eTap derailleur from one of my trikes. It needs new jockey wheels and a new rear plate.

Old 07-23-21, 10:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Oh, I know. Plenty of gulls in Coney Island and even on the shores of Superior. I just wouldn't want to... be sling-shotted ...in to one.
I’m sitting in a park during lunch. A bird just crapped on my leg from the treetop above me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.